Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013

Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013

ray_p ray_p Profile

Posted:
1/8/13 at
10:26:35 AM

According to Knoebels Facebook page, the park will be adding StratosFear, a 148 foot tall drop tower that appears to be of the ARM variety. They said the ride will be located across from the Twister bridge and that nothing is being removed to make way for the ride.

I think this is a great addition for the park and the views that the ride will give as it slowly climbs to the top will be nothing short of stunning.

Now if only they could get that other ride working that has been under construction for 7 years now... ;) (please note the winky face and that I am not in any way upset that the ride is not yet open).

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 Photo by drachen drachen Profile at 1/8/13 12:09:03 PM
I agree Ray, it's a great addition to the park. Across the bridge from Twister... does that mean that it will be next to that other "New for 2013" attraction?

For some reason, without any insider information, I feel that I will be riding Flying Turns this year.

User Submitted Picture

* This post was modified at 1/8/13 12:11:11 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/8/13 7:54:23 PM
I'm thinking it's time for me to revisit Knoebels! I LOVE those drop towers! :-)

Jen

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by alpengeistno3 at 1/9/13 1:41:48 AM
GoYanks34 said:

I'm thinking it's time for me to revisit Knoebels! I LOVE those drop towers! :-)

Jen

Yeah, but 148 feet? Isn't that smaller than SFA's Tower of Doom? Great addition for Knoebel's, but hardly worth the trip, IMO.

Paul

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/9/13 10:39:04 AM
^^^I agree. They are good rides, but definitely not a 'must do' for one who's 'been there done that'. It looks similar to Lake Winnie's 'OH-ZONE'. To be honest, I would more than likely pass on that attraction at Knoebels. Now FLYING TURNS is worth the trip, and hopefully it will be ready for 2013.

* This post was modified at 1/9/13 11:19:55 AM *

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by drachen drachen Profile at 1/9/13 10:44:26 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

Yeah, but 148 feet? Isn't that smaller than SFA's Tower of Doom? Great addition for Knoebel's, but hardly worth the trip, IMO.

Paul

I like these ARM/Larson models better than those small Intamin ones...

And when is a trip to Knoebels not worth the trip?

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/9/13 11:30:51 AM
drachen said:

alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

Sounds like a riddle...

When it's closed?

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by drachen drachen Profile at 1/9/13 12:08:05 PM
beastmaster said:

drachen said:

Sounds like a riddle...

When it's closed?

Nope. When it's ajar...

* This post was modified at 1/9/13 12:09:33 PM *

drachen
Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/9/13 12:41:28 PM
drachen said:

beastmaster said:

drachen said:

Sounds like a riddle...

When it's closed?

Nope. When it's ajar...

That was actually the first joke I thought of when I saw your post...not kidding.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/9/13 6:23:53 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Paul

:-(

I didn't look at the specifics - I saw drop tower and got excited. I still love Knoebels, don't get me wrong, but this isn't a reason to go running back.

Jen

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 1/9/13 6:40:02 PM
To revisit Knoebel's or not to revisit Knoebel's?
That is the question.

Never answered based solely on a ride.
IMHO

Mike B.

Mike B.
Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by alpengeistno3 at 1/9/13 11:07:29 PM
drachen said:

alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

I like these ARM/Larson models better than those small Intamin ones...

I did my trip to Knoebels in 2006. To say it was overrated would be an understatement. I understand how others can find the charm in the place, but it was not for me.

Paul

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by Coaster316 at 1/10/13 7:37:06 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

I did my trip to Knoebels in 2006. To say it was overrated would be an understatement. I understand how others can find the charm in the place, but it was not for me.

Paul

Not wanting to get into a discussion of Knoebels specifically, but I'm not sure how you can refer to it as overrated in one sentence and then in the very next say you understand how others can find charm there. Wouldn't it be overrated if you could NOT see how others enjoy it?

Anyway, as far as this addition goes...I haven't ridden a freefall type ride in years. Maybe I'll ride it, maybe I won't, but I do know that it fills a void a lot of Knoebels' kustomers have wanted filled for several years. I don't think the height will affect the popularity of the ride with its clientele much at all.

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by alpengeistno3 at 1/10/13 8:44:19 PM
Coaster316 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

Not wanting to get into a discussion of Knoebels specifically, but I'm not sure how you can refer to it as overrated in one sentence and then in the very next say you understand how others can find charm there. Wouldn't it be overrated if you could NOT see how others enjoy it?

My views are not the same as a lot here. I prefer steel coasters to wooden ones. That fact alone would make Knoebels a nirvana for a lot, while I was just bored when I went. Nothing against the place, but I could think of no less than 6 parks where I would rather spend my day closer or slightly more than the 3 1/2 hour drive it would take me to get to Knoebels.

I have nothing against "wooden" coaster enthusiasts. The majority that I have ridden do little for me compared to a nice big hyper or twisted multi looper.

Paul

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by Coaster316 at 1/10/13 8:55:18 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

[
My views are not the same as a lot here. I prefer steel coasters to wooden ones. That fact alone would make Knoebels a nirvana for a lot, while I was just bored when I went. Nothing against the place, but I could think of no less than 6 parks where I would rather spend my day closer or slightly more than the 3 1/2 hour drive it would take me to get to Knoebels.

I respect that, but it didn't really address what I was saying at all. I was just hung up on your use of the term "overrated", which to me implies not being worthy of the praise. You're not saying that, you're just saying that it doesn't meet your personal tastes. I simply thought the word "overrated" was misplaced.

Jeff

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by alpengeistno3 at 1/10/13 9:28:47 PM
Coaster316 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

[

I respect that, but it didn't really address what I was saying at all. I was just hung up on your use of the term "overrated", which to me implies not being worthy of the praise. You're not saying that, you're just saying that it doesn't meet your personal tastes. I simply thought the word "overrated" was misplaced.

Jeff

I guess I should have put the "not for me" closer to "overrated" for you.

Paul

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by Coaster316 at 1/10/13 10:27:20 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

No, it would have confused me more. I see "not for me" and "overrated" as being two different opinions, especially when qualified as they were.

No biggie. Just a nitpick in word choice.

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by alpengeistno3 at 1/10/13 10:32:53 PM
Coaster316 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

No, it would have confused me more. I see "not for me" and "overrated" as being two different opinions, especially when qualified as they were.

No biggie. Just a nitpick in word choice.

Anticipointed?

Paul

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/11/13 6:32:58 AM
Hey Paul, I know that you aren't a big wooden coaster fan, but just outta curiosity, what are some of your higher rated woodies if you had to chose?

I'm like 50/50 sitting on the fence when it comes to steel/wood preference, love them both. On my Holiday World trip last year, Voyage and Legend helped up my wooden coaster likability more, I've ridden nothing like them before. Other favorites woodies of mine are the now fallen Son of Beast, Dania Beach Hurricane which is SBNO, and El Toro. Sorry about going off course.

* This post was modified at 1/12/13 11:11:00 PM *

Re: Knoebels to add StratosFear in 2013 by alpengeistno3 at 1/12/13 6:19:30 PM
Overbanked said:

Hey Paul, I know that you aren't a big wooden coaster fan, but just outta curiosity, what are some of your higher rated woodies if you had to chose?

Chris, the highest ranked woody that I have ridden is El Toro (#2 in 2008 and 09 behind Nitro).

Phoenix was #16 in 2006, just above Hershey's WildCat, which was top in 2005 and '04.

Villain made it to #4 in 2003, behind Nitro, Medusa, and Raptor. It was originally #16 in 2001, behind GL rides Batman Knight Flight and X-Flight because I was only able to get 1 ride on it before the storms closed the park down again. It fell to #35 when I went back in '07 due to the pain the ride had began inflicting in its waning days.

Beast was tops at #12 in 2002 when I made my 1st visit to Kings Island, just beating out Wildcat. For comparison, Vortex was my top KI ride at #9.

From 2000 back, Wildcat held the top wooden spot after my 1st coaster trip to Hershey in 1998. Before that Grizzly at KD was always my top woody, usually right behind Flight of Fear and above Loch Ness.

The farthest I have traveled West is to Cedar Point, South to Orlando, North to Great Adventure.

Paul