Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Windseeker(s) To Close?

Windseeker(s) To Close?

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
12/19/12 at
7:08:55 AM

Touched base with my friend Debby in VA about our annual April meet-up. Apparently there's word down there that Windseeker may close. Obviously, there's been chain-wide issues with the ride that we've all read about and seen. But has anyone heard of this step being taken? I don't like to delve into what may be a rumor, but... This wouldn't surprise me if they took them out of commission at all parks until they can solve whatever problems exist with the rides.

Or...will we will we see several more videos of towering amusement park rides heading earthward?

Mike

* This post was modified at 12/19/12 7:09:25 AM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 12/19/12 8:24:16 AM
Well they have been all closed for some time now.Do you mean permanently?
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/19/12 9:03:16 AM
That was the sense I got from her, yes, so that is what I meant. I don't see that happening until all possible fixes are exhausted.
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/19/12 9:13:51 AM
They can pull them out for all I care. For me it was NOT an enjoyable ride, and I felt it was a mistake putting in more than one in the first place. They probably had to place a large order in order to get the company to make them, but with it basically being a prototype I would have bought one or two and waited to see how well they perform before planting one in every park.
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 12/19/12 2:06:10 PM
I highly doubt that they are gonna just scrap them all.Too much money invested and and I can't believe that they won't figure out the issues that are causing the rides to malfunction.
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by alpengeistno3 at 12/19/12 6:47:13 PM
Seeing what Cedar Point had to do to get Space Spiral down, I don't think demolishing it would be an immediate option.

Paul

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 12/20/12 8:21:54 PM
I really hope that they do find a fix. I find it strange that it seems I'm one of the few here that truly enjoyed the ride. I've only ridden CP's Windseeker so perhaps the atmosphere on the beach adds to it, especially at night. It's just such a pleasant ride and is such a nice break from the big-boy rides.

Although we did get stuck on the way down this past summer for a few minutes.

Still, I hope they get a fix for them!

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/21/12 12:10:29 AM
Well that's a shame. I too am in the minority in liking them. I don't expect it to be like drop tower or something thrilling. I like it because its sorta relaxing and offers great views of the park with music blaring around.

As for demolishing them, the one at KD, I would hope it falls down on Hurler :) I don't think anyone would miss that crap. Then build a big gci coaster there.

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 12/25/12 1:29:30 PM
Do you think Cedar Fair will sell the Windseeker's to other amusement parks, or for scrap metal?
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by alpengeistno3 at 12/25/12 6:02:52 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Do you think Cedar Fair will sell the Windseeker's to other amusement parks, or for scrap metal?

If Cedar Fair pulls them all out, they are as good as scrap. What park is going to buy a 1 year old ride with the potential to put you in the national news? (and not in a good way).

Paul

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/31/13 8:26:43 PM
Knott's Seeker will remain closed indefinitely (I guess you can say) with no expected opening date.

www.knotts.com/rides/Thrill-Rides-1-5-12-42/WindSeeker

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 2/2/13 12:13:34 PM
To bad. I went on the ride similar to it in Orlando on I-drive a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The views were wonderful. Sad they can't figure out a way to put in a fix for them instead of removing them. And kind of silly they missed such an obvious problem to begin with.
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 2/3/13 9:47:02 AM
I really hope CP keeps Windseaker. The ride has grown on me and i look forward to it each visit. Also, what an amazing sight at night! I'd be bummed if they didnt run it this year.
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/20/13 11:45:21 AM
Danny Biggerstaf, rollercoaster Dan, just posted on Facebook that he just rode Windseeker at Kings Dominion. It looks like these Windseekers may be here to stay. After all the malfunctions I really thought they would be scrapped. I personally won't ride one, or let my kids ride one, until I see some consistency and the problem has been fixed.
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 4/20/13 1:13:59 PM
I got booted off this forum for what I said about Windseeker reopening at Knott's. Check it out for a laugh. My comment is on page 2 and in response to what the moderator said on page 1.

http://micechat.com/forums/knotts-berry-farm-cedar-fair-parks/179545-windseeker-opens-next-week.html

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/21/13 10:38:40 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

I got booted off this forum for what I said about Windseeker reopening at Knott's. Check it out for a laugh. My comment is on page 2 and in response to what the moderator said on page 1.

http://micechat.com/forums/knotts-berry-farm-cedar-fair-parks/179545-windseeker-opens-next-week.html

Are you kidding me?! When I was first lurking on the coaster forums I'm SO glad I chose this one to join. You weren't even really stating an opinion - that's pretty much a fact. Someone else reiterated what you said a few posts down - did they get the boot too? That's absolutely ridiculous. What is wrong with these other coaster forum moderators?!

Jen

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/21/13 10:49:18 PM
I second that comment. Wow, so if a person is called out for stating something wrong, that person bans the person because s/he looked bad? Talk about petty. Never saw that place before till now. At least if wrong, then take the correction gracefully and not make it vindictive or something...
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 4/22/13 9:41:09 AM
How dare they ban a person who Yahoo! looks to for quotes.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/22/13 9:48:11 PM
frontrow said:

Danny Biggerstaf, rollercoaster Dan, just posted on Facebook that he just rode Windseeker at Kings Dominion. It looks like these Windseekers may be here to stay. After all the malfunctions I really thought they would be scrapped. I personally won't ride one, or let my kids ride one, until I see some consistency and the problem has been fixed.

That's funny to see this just now..not only did I take a spin on Windseeker at KD yesterday, I ran into Danny myself debarking Intimidator! Didn't get a chance to say more than Hi, as my friends were waiting for me.

i still like Sky Screamer (and Star Flyers in General)better.

mike

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 4/24/13 5:33:01 PM
Eric, let's face it. You're not enough of a Disney freak to know that the people at MiceChat are considered among the elite of Disney Freaks and are always right and as near perfect as it gets. You should be ashamed of yourself for even daring to think you could be correct in the light of their awesome Disneyfication (or something like that)

but heck, I gave up that place years ago. A lot of them are just plain weird. :P

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by CN12 CN12 Profile at 5/4/13 10:46:28 PM
The Carowinds Windseeker has re-opened.
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 6/24/13 2:43:14 PM
Does anyone know if any of the Windseekers are ever running?

They always seems to be down for "high winds." I rode the Kings Dominion version once during opening week and it's been down every time I've been back since. The Cedar Point one as well.

I have yet to ride a Skyscreamer but I always wonder if Cedar Fair is gouging their eyes out with these investments while Six Flags laughs all the way to the bank.

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by alpengeistno3 at 6/25/13 3:25:23 AM
antikythera said:

Does anyone know if any of the Windseekers are ever running?

I think they all are. The only one that hasn't been confirmed on this board is the one at Knott's

antikythera said:

They always seems to be down for "high winds." I rode the Kings Dominion version once during opening week and it's been down every time I've been back since. The Cedar Point one as well.

Spring is hard on calm-wind dependent rides. Kings Dominion also had a lot of downtime on Drop Zone for high winds, so you can't put the blame solely on the Windseekers. Same with Cedar Point. I'm not sure how Sky Screamer at Gradv fared, but KK is just as susceptible of being shuttered due to winds as the Windseekers.

antikythera said:

I have yet to ride a Skyscreamer but I always wonder if Cedar Fair is gouging their eyes out with these investments while Six Flags laughs all the way to the bank.

I think Cedar Fair underestimated the fears of people. The way I understood it, they felt like Sky Screamers would scare away patrons due to their use of chains as opposed to more "stable" connections. Based on the lines at Gradv and Kings Dominion, the opposite has proven true. I don't think CF is gouging anything yet, but if they paid a significant amount more for the Windseekers due to their supposed stability, they may be regretting that decision.

Paul

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/26/13 4:16:57 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Spring is hard on calm-wind dependent rides. Kings Dominion also had a lot of downtime on Drop Zone for high winds, so you can't put the blame solely on the Windseekers. Same with Cedar Point. I'm not sure how Sky Screamer at Gradv fared, but KK is just as susceptible of being shuttered due to winds as the Windseekers.

Paul

I have never seen Sky Screamer shut down due to winds. I have seen it break down (always some computer glitch and never down for long) and it stops swinging around and lowers to the ground immediately, unlike the Wind Seekers that leave people stranded for hours. When I was at CP many of the rides were closed most of the day due to high winds and all but Wind Seeker and Sky Hawk opened around 7pm when the park was closing at 8 pm. The only Wind Seeker I've ever been on is the one at Knotts but that was last year and I have no desire to ever go on another one.

Jen

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/26/13 8:35:11 PM
GoYanks34 said:
The only Wind Seeker I've ever been on is the one at Knotts but that was last year and I have no desire to ever go on another one.

I rode the one at KI and was unimpressed. I couldn't wait for the ride to end. Gimme Drop Zone anytime.

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/26/13 8:37:15 PM
RobLec said:

GoYanks34 said:
The only Wind Seeker I've ever been on is the one at Knotts but that was last year and I have no desire to ever go on another one.

I rode the one at KI and was unimpressed. I couldn't wait for the ride to end. Gimme Drop Zone anytime.

Ditto! I'll take Drop Zone over just about anything (except KK and Griffon, naturally) - I LOVE that drop tower! :-)

Jen

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 6/26/13 9:46:03 PM
I guess i'm really in the minority here, but I always look forward to riding CP's at night. I really like it.
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/28/13 9:38:38 PM
Well, the one at Carowinds got stuck today, stranding 64 riders high above for over a hour. This is just a little over a year the same thing happened on the one at Carowinds. I haven't ridden a Windseeker and don't plan to, because of this.
Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/28/13 9:58:26 PM
frontrow said:

Well, the one at Carowinds got stuck today, stranding 64 riders high above for over a hour. This is just a little over a year the same thing happened on the one at Carowinds. I haven't ridden a Windseeker and don't plan to, because of this.

Wow - I wonder how much longer until they just take them down or make them completely reconstruct them to operate like the Sky Screamers/star flyers - if they break down the riders are automatically lowered to the ground immediately (I've actually witnessed this first hand).

I only rode the one at Knotts and I thought it was the most boring ride I've ever been on. It got stuck later in the day for about an hour or two so I got lucky and I will never ride one again. Definitely not worth the risk of losing several hours of park time for.

Jen

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by alpengeistno3 at 7/28/13 9:59:58 PM
Did they sit there that long while maintenance looked for the instructions to assemble that evacuation platform?

I really question how useful the platform is. At best, it would take an hour to make the decision to use it, another hour to pull it out and assemble it, and 2-3 hours to extract every loaded seat on the ride (if it was stranded at the highest point.)

Paul

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/28/13 10:04:13 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Did they sit there that long while maintenance looked for the instructions to assemble that evacuation platform?

I really question how useful the platform is. At best, it would take an hour to make the decision to use it, another hour to pull it out and assemble it, and 2-3 hours to extract every loaded seat on the ride (if it was stranded at the highest point.)

Paul

I didn't even realize they made evacuation platforms and if that's the way they are utilized that's pretty stupid. Might as well have a permanent cherry picker nearby - that would be faster and easier it sounds.

Jen

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by alpengeistno3 at 7/28/13 10:54:39 PM
Yep, I think every CF park with a Windseeker has it somewhere near the ride. KD's in where Hypersonic's maintenance area used to be. I assume the installation is pretty straight forward, but just moving the thing from that area to the ride has got require a fork lift or crane. It is pretty sizable.

Paul

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/29/13 1:37:06 AM
I think it should be noted that the one at Knott's has not reopened. I have doubts that it ever will.

The State of California's amusement ride inspection program is out-of-control now. The arrogance in the past two years of this government agency is surreal.

I just get the feeling the department is not going to approve the new evacuation procedures for the ride and this latest incident is only going to make it harder.

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/29/13 12:51:36 PM
No issues with the CP windseeker when i was there a few weeks back. It was open all day - at least when i was nearby both days. Maybe theyve got it sorted.

It was a great change of pace ride. My fiance loved it, especially for the break from thrill rides. I enjoyed it as well.

Re: Windseeker(s) To Close? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/29/13 9:34:29 PM
They seem to all be hit or miss. I rode the Kings Dominion one when it first opened and it has been closed everytime I've gone back due to "high winds".

Which makes no sense because Cedar Point's sits right on the water...

But then when I went there in May, it was closed due to rain.

And now both Carowinds and Knotts have had malfunctions.

Quality control, Mondial?