Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Ride Waldameer's new Music Express on Saturday 12/22!

Ride Waldameer's new Music Express on Saturday 12/22!

ray_p ray_p Profile

Posted:
12/17/12 at
1:45:53 PM

If you are currently or plan on becoming a 2013 Waldameer Season Pass holder, you may want to head out to the park this coming Saturday as Mr. Nelson's newest toy will be operating from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. If only I didn't have to be out Christmas shopping with the wife... ;)

The only catch is that you must be buying and/or processing a 2013 Waldameer Season Pass in order to ride. You are also allowed to bring one guest. With the temperatures being forecast in the low 30's, the park has stated they will be serving hot chocolate as well. I guess another catch is that riders must be 52" tall.

I find it amazing that the ride just arrived at Waldameer last Friday and they plan on having it up and running for a few hours this weekend. Nice to see they aren't wasting any time!

Re: Ride Waldameer's new Music Express on Saturday 12/22! by ray_p ray_p Profile at 12/22/12 7:43:02 PM
As a lifelong Musik Express fan, I was thrilled when Waldameer announced they would be installing one for the 2013 season. I wasn't originally scheduled to have Saturday afternoon free, but I ended up making the trek out to Erie today for the sneak preview of Waldameer's new Bertazzon Music Express. There were probably no more than 25 people during the time I was there, but the people that did come seemed to be enjoying the new ride.

The ride is still in a construction zone, as the Scrambler's new pad is being set up to the left of the Fudge Kitchen while the Music Express occupies the former Scrambler site (it seems to sit back further though). Considering the fact that the Waldameer folks got the ride up and running in THREE days is simply amazing. It looks great- much better in person than it does in photos. The lights are bright LED's and will probably look awesome at night. As for the ride itself, well, if you like this type of ride to run balls-out, then this is the ride for you. The nearly 3-minute ride cycle ran about 90 seconds forwards and 90 seconds backwards, reaching the maximum 24 mph (what the one ride op told me) in both directions. That may not sound like much, but this thing is really hauling when it hits top speed. The ride seems to slow temporarily during its top speed runs, only to kick right back in again seconds later. Since it was 30 degrees outside with snow on the ground, Waldameer was playing Christmas songs for the hearty souls who braved the cold to come ride it. If they keep running it at full speed, I have a feeling it's definitely going to be a huge hit with visitors next summer, despite the 52" minimum height requirement.

If I have one complaint, it's that the ride seemed a bit bumpy when compared to the Bertazzon model at Seabreeze. Perhaps it's because this one runs faster for a longer period of time, or it may have been that only a handful of people were on the ride at any given time (my second ride was a solo one!)... but it did seem a bit rattly. It's nothing for me to obsess over however because the ride is still pretty awesome.

Major props to the folks at Waldameer for opening their brand-spanking new ride for the die-hards on a cold December Saturday. The ride ops were really having fun, asking guests if they wanted to go faster, announcing when you were at full speed, sounding a siren before each ride, and joking with me that I was a glutton for punishment for riding twice and noting that my eyes were watering at the end of the forwards cycle. And also major props to Mr. Nelson for purchasing one of the all-time great flat rides for his ever-growing park. Looking forward to May and using my season pass for another season of fun.

Video attached, link to a handful a photos of the new ride below. The remainder of the park was off-limits.

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays.

Music Express pics

Re: Ride Waldameer's new Music Express on Saturday 12/22! by Coaster316 at 12/23/12 4:18:05 PM
Glad you got to ride it, Ray, and very glad to hear that they were running it so well. I hope the run it like that in the summer, too, like you said.

Great video as usual and a neat idea from the park to open it for a day like that. Don't know what their ROI was, but it was cool for those that took advantage of it so that's what matters to me.

Jeff

Re: Ride Waldameer's new Music Express on Saturday 12/22! by sparky sparky Profile at 1/2/13 4:38:01 PM
Coaster316 said:

Glad you got to ride it, Ray, and very glad to hear that they were running it so well. I hope the run it like that in the summer, too, like you said.

Great video as usual and a neat idea from the park to open it for a day like that. Don't know what their ROI was, but it was cool for those that took advantage of it so that's what matters to me.

Jeff

Great addition to this thriving property.

In most likelihood, they "opened" the ride (in 2012) for a tax write off?

Re: Ride Waldameer's new Music Express on Saturday 12/22! by drachen drachen Profile at 1/2/13 5:47:02 PM
sparky said:

Great addition to this thriving property.

In most likelihood, they "opened" the ride (in 2012) for a tax write off?

Interesting... I hadn't thought of that. Either way, I really like that they opened it so early for season pass holders.

It was either a shrewd tax move by the park, or a nice PR stunt. Or it was both!

Thanks for the video Ray. I'm a big fan of them...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur