Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What does Busch Gardens Europe need to do with Christmastown

What does Busch Gardens Europe need to do with Christmastown

alpengeistno3

Posted:
12/16/12 at
11:37:49 PM

We've been having this debate on Facebook and since things have been kind of dead around here lately...

BGE has closed for being over capacity, despite adding Festa Italia, EVERY Saturday since it began the last week in November. Despite the popularity, no other coasters have been added (this year, Verbolten is taking the place of Alpengeist.) and the park capacity is still pretty significantly below what its full peak season operational capacity is during the season.

Is it time for Busch to further expand the ride offerings for Christmastown? Or do they need to raise the price to capitalize on all the revenue they are leaving on the table from people getting to gates and being turned away? Or maybe another long term solution like expanding the park or constructing more parking (I don't think either of these are a necessary solution for Christmastown since the park is not being utilized at full capacity, but Saturday Halloscream days are just as bad with almost everything operational.)

Paul

Re: What does Busch Gardens Europe need to do with Christmastown by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 12/17/12 9:24:21 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

We've been having this debate on Facebook and since things have been kind of dead around here lately...

BGE has closed for being over capacity, despite adding Festa Italia, EVERY Saturday since it began the last week in November. Despite the popularity, no other coasters have been added (this year, Verbolten is taking the place of Alpengeist.) and the park capacity is still pretty significantly below what its full peak season operational capacity is during the season.

Is it time for Busch to further expand the ride offerings for Christmastown? Or do they need to raise the price to capitalize on all the revenue they are leaving on the table from people getting to gates and being turned away? Or maybe another long term solution like expanding the park or constructing more parking (I don't think either of these are a necessary solution for Christmastown since the park is not being utilized at full capacity, but Saturday Halloscream days are just as bad with almost everything operational.)

Paul

We went down 2 weekends ago on a Saturday, video coming soon btw...lol, and it was insanly busy. The last time I saw it that busy was over the Halloscream season. As the night went on the busier it got, which I understand. I honestly cant remember the last time I saw them parking across the street. As far as an answer, not sure. My wife questioned why they didnt have maybe at least one more coaster running but Christmas Town isnt about the coasters. Raising the price would be a start as its really low to begin with. I dont see how they could expand parking at all.

I believe BGE has a great thing going but agree with all the people that are being turned away something has to be done. I dont know what though...but I see I have been rambling and not saying anything...lol

Lee

Re: What does Busch Gardens Europe need to do with Christmastown by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/17/12 11:05:47 AM
What coasters/rides do they have operating and what is the cost to get in?

Jen

Re: What does Busch Gardens Europe need to do with Christmastown by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 12/17/12 12:12:25 PM
GoYanks34 said:

What coasters/rides do they have operating and what is the cost to get in?

Jen

http://seaworldparks.com/en/christmastownbgw/Rides

Pretty much all the flats plus Verbolen are open for Christmastown.

I think for a single day ticket its like $27 but earlier they were running a special where it was something like half off a ticket and a buy one get one type deal.

Lee

Re: What does Busch Gardens Europe need to do with Christmastown by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/17/12 4:41:51 PM
That's a pretty good deal although it would be too painful for me to be so close to Griffon and not be able to ride him!

Jen

Re: What does Busch Gardens Europe need to do with Christmastown by alpengeistno3 at 12/17/12 8:17:20 PM
PkD4Life said:

We went down 2 weekends ago on a Saturday, video coming soon btw...lol, and it was insanly busy. The last time I saw it that busy was over the Halloscream season. As the night went on the busier it got, which I understand. I honestly cant remember the last time I saw them parking across the street. As far as an answer, not sure. My wife questioned why they didnt have maybe at least one more coaster running but Christmas Town isnt about the coasters. Raising the price would be a start as its really low to begin with. I dont see how they could expand parking at all.

I believe BGE has a great thing going but agree with all the people that are being turned away something has to be done. I dont know what though...but I see I have been rambling and not saying anything...lol

Lee

Coasters aren't the point, but it is what sets Busch Gardens apart from the Virginia Beach drive through lights or Norfolk's Botanical Gardens. Now, should they have all of the coasters open? I don't think so. But the event has clearly outgrown just having one. I haven't heard the wait times for Verbolten, but I have to assume it has to be over 1 hr with the amount of people they are packing in. Adding another coaster, like Apollo, would not only add capacity, but spread people out, away from Germany where most of the activity is.

I have heard off season maintenance as a reason for not keeping more coasters open. But if Busch hired more maintenance workers or *drastic, long term solution* ordered another set of trains like Tampa has, they would not have any problem performing that maintenance in the 3 months before the park opens again in March.

The price, at $27, is great. But if a family of 4 or more are going a Saturday (especially later in the day when they are having to turn people away due to capacity), they are nuts because I can't see any way they could get their money's worth with the crowds that are showing up, even if they got in.

Paul

Re: What does Busch Gardens Europe need to do with Christmastown by Stredain Stredain Profile at 12/18/12 7:12:28 AM
Hello everyone.. as a person who has a spouse and a brother who works as a tech both at BGE, I asked the same question that you have all asked. I was told because the Virginia winters are *normally* pretty frigid, BGE has a policy of not allowing rides to operate when it reaches a certain temp. As we know, CT is a night time activity, so you can guess the rest.
The other issue pertains to maintenance. The rides undergo their maintainence checks and other stuff.
I can understand if they open some rides that are not outdoors.
As for Verbolten's wait times, there is a neat little trick: walk up to one of the ride operators of VB and ask to put your name down for a specified time. I have done this a few times and found it easier to get onto VB. Also, if you are disabled, (Mentally or otherwise. I am mentally ill so I can get away with this!) you can stop at Guest Services and get a special bracelet that helps you get on rides faster.
I thought I would pass this all on... and youre right on all of your suggestions.
Stredain
Re: What does Busch Gardens Europe need to do with Christmastown by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 12/18/12 9:45:11 AM
Coasters aren't the point, but it is what sets Busch Gardens apart from the Virginia Beach drive through lights or Norfolk's Botanical Gardens. Now, should they have all of the coasters open? I don't think so. But the event has clearly outgrown just having one. I haven't heard the wait times for Verbolten, but I have to assume it has to be over 1 hr with the amount of people they are packing in. Adding another coaster, like Apollo, would not only add capacity, but spread people out, away from Germany where most of the activity is.

I have heard off season maintenance as a reason for not keeping more coasters open. But if Busch hired more maintenance workers or *drastic, long term solution* ordered another set of trains like Tampa has, they would not have any problem performing that maintenance in the 3 months before the park opens again in March.

The price, at $27, is great. But if a family of 4 or more are going a Saturday (especially later in the day when they are having to turn people away due to capacity), they are nuts because I can't see any way they could get their money's worth with the crowds that are showing up, even if they got in.

Paul

Trust me Paul I would have loved to have seen more of the coasters running. It would have been a great way to have people moved around the park.

Capacity is capacity...not sure if BGE has a different full capacity for different events or not. Is what they consider capacity the same in the middle of summer as it is during Hallowscream or ChristmasTown...IDK. The Saturday it was very busy but managable. There were tons of people but it never seemed to be a problem walking around or getting where you wanted to go. Matter of fact the only time I truly noticed how busy it was was when we were trying to eat dinner.

We went to the park early and did the Penguin up close tour so were allowed into the park a little early. Germany didn’t open until 230 if I remember correctly. We got 4 rides on Verbolten right away with no wait other then walking around and through the line again. We came back later and rode around 830 and it was only about a 30 min wait even with the park being packed. They moved the line fairly fast with 4 trains running.

Lee