Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > A real theme park in hawaii!

A real theme park in hawaii!

akblades akblades Profile

Posted:
12/10/12 at
7:34:52 PM

Greetings or should I say ALOHA!,

I'm am planning on building a theme park
here in Hawaii, on the Island of Oahu.

Not only will we have two coasters and
a number of other rides and a 35 foot tall rock
wall with zip line,we will
have an indoor amusement center as well.
My question to the Roller coaster community basically goes out to the riders who have visited or plan to visit the Islands; Would you like to ride ride a 4D coaster,a heartline coaster or a giga coaster?

* This post was modified at 12/10/12 7:37:17 PM *

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 12/11/12 4:00:33 PM
We are talking a RCT park right?

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by akblades akblades Profile at 12/11/12 9:53:21 PM
Yes a real, 4D coaster, we're also looking at a Giga
coaster. We have the land in mind (a one time golf course) and a number of interested parties from across the country who would like to see a theme park in Hawaii but not just a tourist trap park or
something you'd find at a high school graduation!

We're also looking at the possibility of an indoor
theme park but, you could not build a building big enough to afford a decent coaster in.

In the indoor park though, we would have karts, off of road and speed, a coaster and a one of a kind Ferris wheel, not to mention four original restaurants, 24 lane bowling alley and a 18 hole signature green putting course! the building would be three stories tall and filled with the things
people would love to do but just can't find anywhere in Hawaii!!

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/12/12 7:28:31 AM
akblades said:

We have the land in mind

I wish you luck, but if you don't even have the land yet, these plans seem a bit premature.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 12/12/12 11:51:29 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. There is a good reason why there are no theme parks in Hawaii.

- Real estate is pricey

- Building costs are astronomical

- Very restrictive zoning. It seems nearly every property has some historical part you must work around.

- There is already an abundance of activities to do on the islands. Who is going to opt for a theme park when you can go to the beach instead?

- Most resort hotels focus on keeping guests on property for the duration of their stay.

- Many tourists would have no interest in visiting a theme park while on vacation in Hawaii.

Waterparks seem to compliment the warm climate, but Wet'n'Wild seems to be an under performing park. The short operating hours suggest that the park is not very successful. On most days the park opens for only five hours and even during the summer months, when local children are out of school, the operating hours only expand by an additional 1.5 hours. They even warn guests that rides are operated on a rotation schedule - open for 30 minutes, closed for 30 minutes.

You might be able to get an FEC started in Hawaii on a few acres with a couple of kiddie and family rides, but if I really doubt you'll get a 4D or Gigacoaster built.

I visit the Big Island every year and I can tell you right now that the answer to your question is that I wouldn't ride a roller coaster in Hawaii. My time on the islands is always limited and I'd rather spend it doing activities related to the ocean.

Sorry for the negativity, but I'd rather be real than fake.

* This post was modified at 12/12/12 11:55:02 AM *

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by Link Link Profile at 12/17/12 5:14:43 PM
If you are only doing two coasters, make one of them a Giga (300+ feet), and one of them a 4D.

Think about it like this: Who is your audience? Even casual park visitors ride the big, crazy coasters. Even though you may have little/no competition, that doesn't mean you should take it for granted. If I travel thousands of miles to visit Hawaii, as a coaster enthusiast, I would be highly upset if I got there and all that was available to ride was a kiddie wild mouse.

Make sure whatever you do, have each of your coasters have a very unique layout and/or ride element that is either very rare or first-of-a-kind. Make your Giga a floorless, for example.

I would suggest, however, that you also consider adding a classic wooden "woodie" coaster to the list--one that is family-friendly. There are hybrid designs that allow a steel suppor with wood tracks or even vice versa. You can get more thrills out of a hybrid structure because the tracks can turn and twist more dynamically.

Just a thought. If you need any additional ideas, hit me up!

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by Tomes at 12/20/12 3:03:41 PM
I don't know why everyone is so negatively pessimistic... Orlando is close to the beach, so is LA and NJ and yet their amusement parks are thriving. Like there isn't enough to do in LA without amusement parks. Even as an enthusiast I sometimes find it hard to make time for Magic Mountain and I've never been to Knotts, the disney parks or California's Universal...

I think a good Amusement park on Oahu would be a great asset to Hawaii, especially if it had some unique thrills like people befoer me mentioned.

The only thing that I'm skeptical about is: Did you just take a $5billion loan and decided to buy a park? And then you're basing the park's design on opinions of users from the Ultimate Roller Coaster forum?!?!

But just to go along with the hypothetical scenario, I'd think it would be wise to have an Intamin kind of "blitz" coaster like Maverick with >90° first drop and intense "twisties" with a few inversions and multiple launches, and then maybe a record-breaker B&M flyer. Maybe 180-190feet with a steep first drop and some insane 0-g rolls and in-line twists. Just those two rides in 1 park in Hawaii would bring visitors flocking in. Obviously the Polynesian Cultural center brings a ton of visitors... if they added these 2 roller coasters to the park (One on Tonga and another in the New Zealand section, for instance) I bet you would see the attendance almost double in a year. The other huge adventage is that this would be a year-long park and not a seasonal one like most of the Six Flagses and the Ohio parks etc.

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/20/12 4:24:43 PM
Tomes said:
Orlando is close to the beach, so is LA and NJ

I'm no geography expert..far from it. But I understand Cocoa Beach, about an hour's drive, is the closest beach to Orlando. And if your NJ reference is to GrAdv, it's a half hour or more to the nearest beaches in Belmar and other shore areas.
Not posting this solely to point out geographical inaccuracies (Lord knows I'M wrong often enough!,) but to illustrate the examples you quoted may not be the best ones,

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by Tomes at 12/20/12 5:36:53 PM
Right, so the parks are an hour's drive from the nearest beach... And still, people come to Florida and not only go to the beach, which is so close. They go to the parks as well..

I remember when I was younger my friend told me she went to Tampa, and I was like "Oh, did you go to Busch Gardens?" She responded "No, we stayed in a resort on the beach". The point is, there are always other activities around.. Amusement parks is just one type of entertainment. How many people spend a day on Oahu at the Polynesian Cultural center? A LOT... It's a successful attraction in Hawaii, and it's 0.4miles (2 minute) from the nearest popular beach. I guarentee you if this park added a couple of HUGE roller coasters they would be bringing in a ton more visitors. You're right that resorts TRY to keep visitors inside the property, but adventurous vacationers are always out and about, otherwise nothing would be successful in hawaii besides big resorts.

Like in Los Angeles... with Hollywood, and the different theaters, and multi-million dollar nightclubs and amazing restaurants and santa monica and the beaches and the big resorts and the hills and the hiking opportunities and the downtown area and Beverly Hills with famous actors' and actresses' houses... Disney still built a second park, Universal is building a whole harry potter world, and Magic Mountain is kicking it with 18 roller coasters...... Hawaii is beautiful naturally, but people love amusement parks and if there was a world-class amusement park around Honolulu I bet you it wouldn't fail.

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 12/21/12 12:38:58 AM
Tomes said:

I don't know why everyone is so negatively pessimistic... Orlando is close to the beach, so is LA and NJ and yet their amusement parks are thriving. Like there isn't enough to do in LA without amusement parks. Even as an enthusiast I sometimes find it hard to make time for Magic Mountain and I've never been to Knotts, the disney parks or California's Universal...

I think a good Amusement park on Oahu would be a great asset to Hawaii, especially if it had some unique thrills like people befoer me mentioned.

I'm doubtful that you've ever been to Hawaii. Los Angeles and Orlando are no comparable and I already stated many of the issues that prevent a park from starting in Hawaii. I'm very familiar with the islands and development. It's not about being negative, it's about being realistic.

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by Tomes at 12/21/12 11:11:25 AM
Well, let me assure you that, as a matter of fact I have been to Hawaii. I have spent time visiting Maui, The Big Island and Ohau. I saw your points and addressed them because apart from the astronomical prices and real estate market (all which can be overcome if you're a big-time investor with good financial support) I think a park WOULD be successful there.

Orlando and LA aren't comparable to Ohau... why? Yeah Hawaii is more beautiful, but LA has a lot of activities like I mentioned... but like I said, adventurous vacationers would attend an ameusement park, especially if you theme it towards hawaiian / polynesian / pacific island theme. Or, like I mentioned, if the Polynesian Cultural attraction added 2 major roller coasters it would bring a ton of visitors in. And even you, if there was a park with 2 world-class roller coasters on Oahu, would probably find half a day to go ride them.

I travel a lot (that's an understatement) and even when I visit countries for the first time, if there is a huge amusement park I find time to go there. About a year ago I was in Japan with my family and even though we had 15 days to see Hiroshima, Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nikko, Kanazawa, Koyansan, Nara, Takayama, Nagano, Shibu Onsen, and some other ones I'm forgetting along the way, I still made a point to go ride the Thunder Dolphin which I think is the 2nd tallest and one of the fastest coasters in Japan. We also squeezed in a day at Tokyo Disney Sea, but if we had come earlier in the year I would have exchanged that with Fuji-Q High Lands.

People come from accross the world to visit the United States and they go see Yosemite, Yellowstone, New York City, Los Angeles, and usually Orlando!! Ya know? The main land is slightly bigger than the islands of hawaii and there are many many many things to see and do here. And still Orlando is on the top 5ish destination in America. That tells you something about the popularity of Amusement Parks. People LOVE sitting on the beach and drinking mojitos, and Hawaii has tons of amazing things to see like Hanauma Bay, downtown Honolulu, Waikiki Beach, a lot of surfing beaches and a beautifully lush interior... A big amusement park would be another thing. If you built a Cedar Point anywhere in the world, I don't care if it was in the Maldives or in Burkina Faso, it would draw visitors from around the world. I know we're not talking about a Cedar Point, but a few world-class coasters in 1 park would trememdously help.

* This post was modified at 12/21/12 12:08:52 PM *

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by akblades akblades Profile at 12/21/12 3:40:54 PM
Thank you everyone for the great response and good talking points, I do appreciate it and look forward to more.

Yes, the cost of doing anything on this Island is simply outrageous, this is the reason why we pay six dollars for a gallon of milk, two for a coke but then again, people who pass out towels at the Hyatt here earn $18.00 an hour tourist from around Asia come by the millions to shop because the prices are still cheaper than home. The development of a park is hardly a whim we're not building the park based on the suggestions of the thread, the Architectural designs for the park are nearly completed, the first round of investment presentations have been given and offers have been made. The land (Which was already approved to be a golf course) is being being considered.The island needs jobs, an influx of money, a new venue to tax and a boost for the tourist industry. the Island of Oahu is a city and not a small city by any stretch of the imagination. Ask the people who live here
and who travel.

Having worked as the Architectural and Environmental Director for a Development Corporation for the last fifteen years I am more than familiar with the pitfalls and hurdles of building in Honolulu.
But Our last venture that ended when the market collapsed in 2008,attracted locale and international investors looking to put their money into a viable projects here in Honolulu.

We were able to raise $4.7 million in seed money which lead to a $7.3 million bridge and then ended with a construction loan based out of Canada through a private investment group for$58 million. All of this, for a High tech office building and parking structure in Kapolei. This came about even when the vacancy rate for office spaces at the time were nearly twenty five percent Island wide. Those investors are still here,being able to purchase the golf course land for nearly three million less than the asking price has the initial round of seed investors interested.

Attracting the money isn't a concern, We have real Estate Agents, Brokers and private owners calling on a weekly basis offering us land well below the current market value. We have talked with all of the major hotels here about their participation and how we can service their guests. We have sat with the state DOT about the transportation form hotel to park and back again, and we also are looking into the around the Island tour and stops ending with a luau at the park. We will be working with the Military
families support groups, We would like to give the Military service men and their families more than just a discount.

Even though we're looking at a number of engineering companies most of which have already submitted first draft ideas for our rides, our intentions is not to create a great park,we want to create a legendary park and we know that designing a mind blowing ride comes from asking true and passive riders "What do you want" and of course "What do you think," How many times do you do something or go some place and say to yourself,"man, if only they did this with that and put that over there and added one more of those, then this would be unreal!" this is what we're looking to accomplish here.

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by Tomes at 12/21/12 5:23:55 PM
Very cool!!

Well you got my vote... Heartline coaster will obviously draw the least amount of visitors. 4D will work if it's big and not tacky (Over 200', at least 6 inversions. Again, we're talking about creating a reason for people to leave the comfort of their white-sandy-beached resorts and getting their lazy a$$ to the amusement park. They need motivation) or a unique Giga. Stay away from copying existing designs like X2 or Millennium Force because people can ride those rides when they're in Six Flags / Cedar Point, so when they're in Hawaii they can just concentrate on the beach and the water sports. You have to give them something they can only experience there, so their logic will say "Well, since we're already here, this is our chance to ride this very famous new roller coaster that we can't ride anywhere else".

I would bet whatever you want that if you had a record breaking B&M flyer and a long and twisted Intamin Blitz coaster you would be hitting record attendance, but from the choices you gave it would go [really good 4D coaster]>Giga>[average 4D coaster]>>>>>>>>>Heartline coaster

Good luck! This is pretty exciting!

* This post was modified at 12/21/12 5:35:51 PM *

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/22/12 1:39:36 AM
Well if the funds are secure and there's at least $25 mil set aside for each top notch coaster from B&M or Intamin, then all the best to ya and I hope it works. I just hope it doesn't end up like Hard Rock/free style park that operates once in their first year and gets shut down because of poor revenue and lack of funds. Nothing's worse than to see a great coaster sitting idle and unused.
Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by skc2000 at 12/23/12 8:31:31 PM
Not so much a theme park but more like a smaller park like coney island brooklyn ny or belmont park & SCBB both in california or the parks along the jersey shore that survived hurricane sandy a park like that would be nice in the state of hawaii.

Also there are many other areas of the country with no amusement parks anywhere near there.Like alaska which happens to be the largest state in the us & not one coaster in the entire state of alaska but hawaii attracts many more visitors than the entire state of alaska.a small amusement park like coney island or santa cruz beach boardwalk would be nice in the state of hawaii.

skc2000

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by akblades akblades Profile at 12/27/12 9:20:30 PM
That is our intent, a smaller park at first with the best rides in the pacific and a unique shopping mall
that offers indoor activities and a few great restaurants and of course shops for the tourists.
What we'd like to see is a world class coaster I'd like to refer to it as a "ride me if you dare" coaster.
Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 12/31/12 12:34:44 PM
Why would someone who has millions of dollars, and plans to build an amusement park, come to this forum/site?

I mean, I've heard of getting insider insight and such but, I am skeptical, as I think I should be, about this whole thing.

If it happens you can color me happy and I'd definitely want to visit Hawaii even more then!! but I just don't get why someone who has the money for a theme park, comes to this place, rather than getting information from respected names in the enthusiast world.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 12/31/12 1:32:28 PM
mugen828 said:

I just don't get why someone who has the money for a theme park, comes to this place, rather than getting information from respected names in the enthusiast world.

So you're saying that the opinions of the users here aren't respected and don't matter?

Who is a "respected name in the enthusiast world"?

If you want the opinion of some coaster enthusiasts I think this place is as good or better than any other place.

I think what you may have been trying to say was get information from an industry professional or expert.

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 1/2/13 8:46:27 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

mugen828 said:

I just don't get why someone who has the money for a theme park, comes to this place, rather than getting information from respected names in the enthusiast world.

So you're saying that the opinions of the users here aren't respected and don't matter?

Who is a "respected name in the enthusiast world"?

If you want the opinion of some coaster enthusiasts I think this place is as good or better than any other place.

I think what you may have been trying to say was get information from an industry professional or expert.

Of course I think OUR opinions matter, I'm part of the site and I'm just like everyone else here! Of course I didn't mean to insult this site or anyone on it. I am a part of it! and I love the site!

Professional would definitely be the word I was looking for, someone working in the industry and someone experienced. i.e a park exec/designer/or someone who has improved/built rides/parks. You are right, this is a good place for insight though, but the OP was badly formatted and seemed off to me. If it's true, I am just as happy as any other enthusiasts! I'm just not so sure I believe this person due to the way it was posted.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 1/3/13 7:56:01 PM
mugen828 said:

Of course I think OUR opinions matter, I'm part of the site and I'm just like everyone else here! Of course I didn't mean to insult this site or anyone on it. I am a part of it! and I love the site!

I was just giving you a hard time. :-)

Eric

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by ericthewanderer at 1/9/13 4:24:45 PM
If this Hawaiian theme park is for real,I say go for it!I lived in Honolulu for 9 years,and have some idea of the problems involved in attempting such a feat(cost,zoning,etc),but a bonafide park that's run properly should thrive with the million-plus population and year-round operation.
As the signature ride,how about a recreation of the Triple Racer that was built in the 1930's?And are there going to be any dark rides or shoot-em-ups?
Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/10/13 4:38:20 AM
KevinReid said:

We are talking a RCT park right?

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Yup, I guess that it's supposed to be just like RCT3's last level, Paradise Island. LOL

I have to agree with Eric and others on here that this whole Hawaiian theme park thing seems highly unrealistic.

* This post was modified at 1/10/13 4:41:54 AM *

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by jessicainhawaii at 4/28/13 8:51:08 PM
I hope this news is true I live near Sea Life Park and while it's very lovely, the seal and dolphin shows are fun and the aquariums are nice and the ocean views are SPECTACULAR, but I thought it was missing some rides.

Just some advice if you are serious about this please make it very unique. Think of things that are unique to Hawaii like the Rich culture and history/Past Kings and Queens, Coral Reefs and Fishlife (seaturtles, monk seals, Sharks,whales, dolphins) , Volcanoes, Tropical rainforests, Surfing, hula, Etc when designing your rides/shows/mascots.
I think the reason the wet and wild water park is failing is because it's not very unique and why pay to swim and cool down when the beaches are free. If you decide to put a water ride or water slide in your Park you may put Wet and Wild Hawaii out of business lol

Also hope the location you pick is not in Kapolei, the traffic in and out of that side of the island is a NIGHTMARE.
Personally I hope its on the windward side of the island, Kailua/Kaneohe or Waimanalo is just beautiful and the weather is the best year round, (a bit rainier though) but much cooler in the summer than Kapolei.

Good luck, I will be first in line when it opens.

Re: A real theme park in hawaii! by ericthewanderer at 4/29/13 11:15:56 AM
Have they considered getting a major hotel chain to partner with to build the park(Hilton/Sheraton/etc)?That might help move things along....
And for anyone who has lived in Hawaii-should they make the coaster seats in "Samoan Size" ?