Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall

Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall

Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile

Posted:
11/23/12 at
10:19:10 PM

I was the mall in my area about an hour ago, and when I was walking by , I noticed a machine in the middle of the mid-way that said "Cedar Point." Of course, that caught my attention, and I stopped to see what it was.

I saw a few of Cedar Point's roller coaster logo's on the side of the machine like the Magnum XL 200, Mean Streak, Blue Streak, and I forgot the rest, but they were older coasters, I think some of them were actually now defunct coasters. Anyways, there was a screen, and two seats. A sign said Choose from 9 of Cedar Point's coasters to view, and simulate. Basically what happens is you have a roller coaster on the screen in front of you, and the chairs would move in positions to give you the sensation that you are riding it. Since I've never been to Cedar Point before, I found this really cool, but had no time. I plan on going back to check it out because I'm going to Cedar Point in 2013 for the first time, and I want to compare how the rides felt on the simulator, and in real life. Have any of seen anything like this before?

Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/23/12 11:32:17 PM
I've seen it..there used to be one at a mall in he next town over from me. I tried it, but barely fit and lost my money..the damn thing didn't work.

There also used to be one in the food court at the old Ocean One Mall in Atlantic City, but that was just the Beast at KI. I enjoyed that one...but, like Marvin (no, not you) and Tammi said, "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby."

There used to be a simulator two-seater in the arcade as you exited the Simulator ride at GAdv. It wasn't a simulation of a specific coaster. You greated your own through controls in the pod, and the pod you sat in rotated upside-down and side-to side on a robotic arm. It was way cool.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by alpengeistno3 at 11/23/12 11:45:38 PM
There is one at the Chuck E. Cheese in Waldorf and at Wheaton Mall. Some FEC's used to have a full size version that seats up to 8 people and is fully enclosed (I think Downtown Disney had it MANY years ago).

I think you could get a better experience from just youtubing the videos and rocking in your chair to the picture. The ride action does little to convey the feeling of being on an actual coaster.

Paul

Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/24/12 7:54:26 AM
beastmaster said:
I tried it, but barely fit and lost my money...

Hey Mike, you're supposed to wear cargo pants with zippered or Velcro pockets when you're riding coasters ;)

Anyway, yeah I saw that CF arcade machine at a mall probably about ten years ago.

Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/25/12 3:12:03 AM
beastmaster said:

I've seen it..there used to be one at a mall in he next town over from me. I tried it, but barely fit and lost my money..the damn thing didn't work.

There also used to be one in the food court at the old Ocean One Mall in Atlantic City, but that was just the Beast at KI. I enjoyed that one...but, like Marvin (no, not you) and Tammi said, "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby."

There used to be a simulator two-seater in the arcade as you exited the Simulator ride at GAdv. It wasn't a simulation of a specific coaster. You greated your own through controls in the pod, and the pod you sat in rotated upside-down and side-to side on a robotic arm. It was way cool.

Mike

I remember the one in Atlantic City. I think they also had Son of beast (when I saw it again in 2001?), but I think I chose the original beast to ride. But it was pretty fun and i think this was in 1995 when I rode it, way before I got over my fear of the real thing (coasters in general, still yet to visit KI). Now I would always take the real thing over simulators.

* This post was modified at 11/25/12 3:27:04 AM *

Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 11/26/12 1:19:47 AM
I have a customer who used to buy, sell and service arcade games and he told me all about these machines (before I had ever heard of them). He said that you don't see many of them around these days because they were expensive and hard to maintain and arcade owners got tired of cleaning up the mess because so many people got sick (apparently some of them were realistic enough to make some people sick). This guy also sent me an old brochure for one of these simulators and it did feature several (older) rides at CP, so it's likely the same one. The brochure also said it had an "original soundtrack" by Peter Frampton. If I can find it I may scan the brochure and post it in this thread for curiosity's sake.
Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/26/12 10:34:09 AM
Schrecken said:
The brochure also said it had an "original soundtrack" by Peter Frampton.

But will you show me the way?

Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/26/12 1:25:48 PM
beastmaster said:

Schrecken said:

You can come to Cincinnati and ask him.
He lives here in Indian Hill.

Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/26/12 3:10:15 PM
RobLec said:

beastmaster said:

Schrecken said:

I did not know that. I'm sure his residency has made the whole city come alive :)

I take it Indian Hill is a particular area of the Queen City?

Mike

Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/26/12 5:34:47 PM
beastmaster said:

RobLec said:

beastmaster said:

Schrecken said:

I did not know that. I'm sure his residency has made the whole city come alive :)

I take it Indian Hill is a particular area of the Queen City?

Mike

It's the "rich" section, where the CEO's and athletes live. As I understand it, Frampton eyed a girl in the audience at a concert here, fell in love and got married... all this around 20 years ago or so.

Of course I realize that NY/NJ has a few rich people too!

Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/26/12 7:54:14 PM
RobLec said:

Of course I realize that NY/NJ has a few rich people too!

Present company excluded, of course...

Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by Coaster316 at 11/27/12 3:26:05 PM
Schrecken said:

If I can find it I may scan the brochure and post it in this thread for curiosity's sake.

I, for one, would love to see the brochure if you manage to find it. Thanks.

Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 11/27/12 5:02:33 PM
I do know of one that existed as of a few years ago at the Westland Mall in Metro Detroit. I remember it had Magnum and Gemini for sure. This was fairly recent so I'll have to check if it's still there today!
Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/28/12 8:01:59 AM
A local family fun center in my area has a rollercoaster simulator called "Max Flight". It doesn't have any layouts of real coasters like the CP one does, but you can 'create' your own coaster experience. It can invert too. It has the feel of a small enclosed flatride.
Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/28/12 9:31:07 AM
Overbanked said:

A local family fun center in my area has a rollercoaster simulator called "Max Flight". It doesn't have any layouts of real coasters like the CP one does, but you can 'create' your own coaster experience. It can invert too. It has the feel of a small enclosed flatride.

That's the one I referred to above that GAdv had. It was really terrific. I do remember it cost $5 (per person, I think..it was a two-seater)

Re: Cedar Point Simulation Machine at the mall by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/28/12 11:05:35 PM
^^Yup, it's a two-seater. The one where I'm at cost just $6 in all, and it has a Chance Ride-esque two rider policy.