Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean?

Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean?

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
11/23/12 at
9:23:38 AM

Apparently, the mayor would like to see that happen.

A tourist attraction? I would think the last thing Seaside residents want is a permanent reminder of the Hell many of them went through, especially once the boardwalk is rebuilt. What are they gonna do, sell t-shirts that read "WORLD'S ONLY SALTWATER ROLLER COASTER?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sandy-struck-seaside-heights-coaster-remain-sea-tourist-attraction-article-1.1206527

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 11/23/12 9:56:10 AM
That has got to be one of the stupidist things I have ever heard!!! Looks like an eyesoar to me!! What happens when the next storm rolls in?? Would'nt that be kind of dangerous having a roller coaster being blown onshore??
Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/23/12 1:45:02 PM
beastmaster said:
"WORLD'S ONLY SALTWATER ROLLER COASTER?"

LOL!

Brings to mind a few other possibilities...

"WORLD'S FIRST UNDERWATER ROLLER COASTER" and

"I SAW THE SUNKEN STAR JET and all I got was this stupid T-shirt"

Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/23/12 2:55:39 PM
The residents of that area will lose their minds and it will be demolished. He's a moron.

People are already having their voices heard:

http://www.tomsrivernjonline.com/2012/11/23/seaside-heights-mayor-says-coaster-would-make-a-great-tourist-attraction/9548/

Jen

Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by drachen drachen Profile at 11/23/12 3:49:22 PM
It's a ridiculous notion, I must admit. My concern is more with any environmental hazards or contamination. Salt water and metal don't mix too well.

Having said that, if there are no environmental issues, I kinda' feel like I like this... Call me crazy, but there's a part of me hopes it does stay where it is.

I love roller coasters, and I love the ocean. I see an odd beauty in how the two are intermingled at the present time. It's something I feel I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off of. For me, it's that visually appealing.

Which reminds me... can anyone get on the island yet? I may drive down there one day to check it out in person.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/23/12 4:09:47 PM
drachen said:
I love roller coasters, and I love the ocean. I see an odd beauty in how the two are intermingled at the present time. It's something I feel I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off of. For me, it's that visually appealing.

Then you'd be the perfect audience for that T-shirt I suggested ;)

Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/23/12 4:13:11 PM
drachen said:

It's a ridiculous notion, I must admit. My concern is more with any environmental hazards or contamination. Salt water and metal don't mix too well.

Having said that, if there are no environmental issues, I kinda' feel like I like this... Call me crazy, but there's a part of me hopes it does stay where it is.

Which reminds me... can anyone get on the island yet? I may drive down there one day to check it out in person.

Only residents and contractors, electricians, etc with permits can get out there right now.

Jen

Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 11/23/12 10:23:13 PM
That would pollute the water, and have a negative impact on the marine habitat. That is a stupid decision. In plus, if he wants to make it a tourist attraction, take it out the water, and put it somewhere people can stop and see in a normal view.

* This post was modified at 11/23/12 10:23:51 PM *

Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/23/12 11:00:03 PM
Maybe they should drag it about a mile or so offshore for an artificial reef. I can't imagine that it wouldn't have any more concern to the environment than a shipwreck out in the deep blue.

* This post was modified at 11/24/12 12:51:17 PM *

Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/24/12 10:06:55 AM
Overbanked said:

Maybe they should drag locate about a mile or so offshore for an artificial reef. I can't imagine that it wouldn't have any more concern to the environment than a shipwreck out in the deep blue.

That has actually been suggested by some. The main problem with leaving it (emotional factors of the residents aside) lies with people swimming out to it and getting injured or worse. Seaside is a party town - that's where I and many others went when younger to party our asses off. The combination of drunk teenagers and a roller coaster not too far from the shore equals a lawsuit waiting to happen. And people will try to get to it - it's not a hypothetical - it's a given.

Jen

Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/25/12 3:19:45 AM
Overbanked said:

Maybe they should drag it about a mile or so offshore for an artificial reef. I can't imagine that it wouldn't have any more concern to the environment than a shipwreck out in the deep blue.

Exactly, there have been subway cars dumped in the ocean for the reef program and the interiors have asbestos in them. I doubt the steel structure will be any worse than that.
Agreed with Jen about the dangers of people thinking that coaster being some sort of 'jungle gym' and getting hurt/killed on it.

I can understand it being used as a recognizable disaster for attention and tourist dollars, but it's a reminder of the devastation and a hazard. Just tear it down (if it can't be salvaged).

Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/27/12 10:15:35 AM
Common sense wins out for a change...Check out the Mayor's comment on his previous thoughts.

http://news.yahoo.com/nj-roller-coaster-submerged-sandy-114852349.html

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Seaside's Star Jet To Remain In Ocean? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/27/12 11:01:31 AM
beastmaster said:

Common sense wins out for a change...Check out the Mayor's comment on his previous thoughts.

http://news.yahoo.com/nj-roller-coaster-submerged-sandy-114852349.html

Mike

Heard it on the news down here yesterday. I knew it would never fly - too many reasons it was a very BAD idea. Seaside Heights is still under a permit/curfew with residents only allowed in between 9am and 3pm so it looks like if they remove it quickly no one will get to see it. There's a part of me that wants to and a part of me that thinks I've seen enough pictures, do I really need to be a "rubber-necker" and stare at destruction? Probably not.

Jen