Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Medusa West is........................

Medusa West is........................

Drumhead

Posted:
4/1/00 at
12:36:29 AM

A BLAST!!!! Went to SFMW today, proceeded directly to Medusa, and had an awesome coaster experience. I rode 6 times - 3 times in front, twice in back, and once in the middle. The drop, vertical loop, dive loop, and zero G roll are very intense with great air time. Front was the most intense, especially on outer seats right before the drop with nothing between your legs and the ground 150 feet below. Probably the only dissapointment is the sea serpent, which is a great idea, but the way it works you lose too much speed. Maybe next time they make one, the turns will be tighter. Anyway it barely takes away from the overall ride experience, which is excellent. Way to go Marine World. Medusa theming is good, unlike their other coasters. Also the ride ops were enjoyable, and they let us get right back on without walking all the way around.

Time to go and see if Stealth can compete with this monster. Let the coaster wars continue!

Jon

..I was there today!! (Including my Medusa review) by PGAJJB at 4/1/00 1:04:58 AM

Hey! I was at SFMW as well today too! I was there from 12-2 or so, and rode Medusa non-stop the whole time! I don't know if you saw me, but, I was wearing a grey Stealth shirt, and a some blue-jean shorts. I agree with you on one thing, Medusa is one awesome coaster, but,I have to say that the last row far right, has to be the most intense seat. Just the feeling of being pulled down that huge drop was incredibly intense. The loop was great, and the feeling when you actually fall onto your harness at the top was very interesting indeed. The diving-loop was very good, same feeling of falling out of your seat in this element. The next element, the zero-g roll, has to be the best element of any, its so incredibly intense, and the airtime.. whoa! I do agree that the train kinda lumbers thru the Sea-serpent, but, its still a fun element. The "high-speed spiral" doesnt seem to be TOO high-speed, and the final helix is much less intense than it looks in the pictures. But, overall, this was one awesome ride. Now, about Stealth. If you went on Medusa to experience the feeling of flying, then, you went to the wrong place. Stealth is where it's at. If you went to ride Stealth for incredibly intense, high-speed, non-stop, heartpounding excitement, then, you've went to the wrong place. Both coasters are excellent, and will put the Bay Area on the map as one the best places to 'coast. So! Look forward to an awesome year for SFMW and PGA, and an even MORE amazing year next year!!

-PGAJJB

Re: ..I was there today!! (Including my Medusa rev by Drumhead at 4/1/00 2:25:09 PM

> Hey! I was at SFMW as well today too! I was
> there from 12-2 or so, and rode Medusa
> non-stop the whole time! I don't know if you
> saw me, but, I was wearing a grey Stealth
> shirt, and a some blue-jean shorts. I agree
> with you on one thing, Medusa is one awesome
> coaster, but,I have to say that the last row
> far right, has to be the most intense seat.
> Just the feeling of being pulled down that
> huge drop was incredibly intense. The loop
> was great, and the feeling when you actually
> fall onto your harness at the top was very
> interesting indeed. The diving-loop was very
> good, same feeling of falling out of your
> seat in this element. The next element, the
> zero-g roll, has to be the best element of
> any, its so incredibly intense, and the
> airtime.. whoa! I do agree that the train
> kinda lumbers thru the Sea-serpent, but, its
> still a fun element. The "high-speed
> spiral" doesnt seem to be TOO
> high-speed, and the final helix is much less
> intense than it looks in the pictures. But,
> overall, this was one awesome ride. Now,
> about Stealth. If you went on Medusa to
> experience the feeling of flying, then, you
> went to the wrong place. Stealth is where
> it's at. If you went to ride Stealth for
> incredibly intense, high-speed, non-stop,
> heartpounding excitement, then, you've went
> to the wrong place. Both coasters are
> excellent, and will put the Bay Area on the
> map as one the best places to 'coast. So!
> Look forward to an awesome year for SFMW and
> PGA, and an even MORE amazing year next
> year!! -PGAJJB

I agree the zero G roll is the best! Awesome!

So I will check out Stealth on one weekend soon. Since lines will surely be long, what is better for my wait - front or back? Also, will they open Fridays, or just Saturday and Sunday?

Jon

Re: Medusa West is........................ by Masher at 4/1/00 4:34:42 PM

> Probably the only
> dissapointment is the sea serpent, which is
> a great idea, but the way it works you lose
> too much speed. Maybe next time they make
> one, the turns will be tighter. Anyway it
> barely takes away from the overall ride
> experience, which is excellent.

Certain proof that to each his own, "I really liked the Sea Serpent element". It was unique and quite disorientating. The change in pacing (speed) only added to the effect. The first 150' loop into the Sea Serpent is one of the best on two punches on any coaster I have experienced.

Also, for my tastes Medusa did an oustanding job providing an airtime filled thrilling ride that is extremley ridable (I.E. over and over again).

I was equally impressed that they accomplished this with a decent amount of positive G's thrown in. One of the best paced rides out there.

Its gonna be a GREAT summer at the hometown park:)

Happy Coastering

Re: ..I was there today!! (Including my Medusa rev by DxHbk at 4/1/00 5:37:03 PM

I agree the zero G roll is the best! Awesome!
> So I will check out Stealth on one weekend
> soon. Since lines will surely be long, what
> is better for my wait - front or back? Also,
> will they open Fridays, or just Saturday and
> Sunday? Jon

My Experience was the front is better... to advoid long lines you should get there early. It would help if you are a season pass holder...If you are a season pass holder you can experience the feeling of flying on Stealth at 9:30 instead of the normal ride time at 10:00.

DxHbk