Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Old Roller Coasters that still pack a punch

Old Roller Coasters that still pack a punch

Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile

Posted:
11/3/12 at
12:30:35 PM

Are there some old coasters that still pack a punch to you?, Or a coaster that's a first of it's kind?

Here's my list:

Old Coasters:
Wild One- Six Flags America
Volcano- Kings Dominion
Demon- California's Great America
The Beast- Kings Island

First of It's Kind;
Meduas & Bizzaro- SFDK & SFGAdv.

* This post was modified at 11/3/12 12:31:29 PM *

Re: Old Roller Coasters that still pack a punch by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/3/12 1:05:57 PM
I don't see the point of listing coasters that are the first of their respective kind..we'd be here for a day.

But as for the "oldies but goodies," I'll cast my vote for:

Batman at GAdv

Wild One

Magnum (although we can debate all day what's "old", it IS almost 25 years old)

Gemini (on a good day)

Beast (on a good NIGHT)

Loch Ness Monster (first rode the year it opened, 1978, and still a wonderful ride.)

Those jump out at me at the moment.

In a separate vein, the Coney Cyclone does still "pack a punch"..but it's a real one, and not very pleasant :(

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Old Roller Coasters that still pack a punch by Katie Katie Profile at 11/3/12 2:11:32 PM
Leap the Dips. 110 years old. Sit in the back seat of this coaster and you will get your whole spine re-aligned. Butt too.

Phoenix. 64 years old. She still packs an airtime punch. Wooo!

Jack Rabbit(KW). For being 91 years old that, that double dip still scares the living day lights out of me.

I'm sure I will think of more later.

Re: Old Roller Coasters that still pack a punch by MABrider MABrider Profile at 11/3/12 3:31:15 PM
Katie said:

Leap the Dips. 110 years old. Sit in the back seat of this coaster and you will get your whole spine re-aligned. Butt too.

That fact has always amazed me.

For a coaster with a longest drop of nine (9) feet, anyone who hasn't ridden Leap the Dips would be wondering what the hell?
And rightfully so.
Once they were to ride in the back, they would wonder no more.

Mike B.

Mike B.
Re: Old Roller Coasters that still pack a punch by frontrow frontrow Profile at 11/3/12 9:25:55 PM
Here are some coasters that are getting up there in age that I really do enjoy:
Comet- Hershey
Screamin Eagle- SF St.Louis
Great American Scream Machine- SF Over Georgia
Blue Streak- Cedar Point
Rebel Yell- Kings Dominion
Racer- Kings Island
Thunderbolt- Kennywood
High Roller- Valleyfair
Wild One- SF America
Jack Rabbit- Kennywood
Phoenix- Knoebles
Skyliner- Lakemont
Wildcat- Lake Compounce
Thunderhawk- Dorney
Beast- Kings Island
Rolling Thunder- SF Great Adventure
Racer- Kennywood
Big Dipper- Camden Park
Leap the Dips- Lakemont
I love classic wooden coasters. They still provide great rides, even for this day and time.
Re: Old Roller Coasters that still pack a punch by Katie Katie Profile at 11/3/12 10:50:44 PM

For a coaster with a longest drop of nine (9) feet, anyone who hasn't ridden Leap the Dips would be wondering what the hell?
And rightfully so.

Mike B.

That ride scares the bejesus out of me too. That structure flexes and shakes and holy hell I have no idea how it holds up. It's a huge couch on wheels but it hurts like a mofo if you sit in the back.

So worth the ride though!

Re: Old Roller Coasters that still pack a punch by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/4/12 2:41:00 AM
I agree with some of the mentioned coasters. The only ones that I have to add are...

Swamp Fox at Family Kingdom
CP's Corkscrew (second hill airtime)
Starliner (currently with an uncertain future)

* This post was modified at 11/4/12 2:42:27 AM *

Re: Old Roller Coasters that still pack a punch by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/4/12 9:34:15 PM
beastmaster said:

I don't see the point of listing coasters that are the first of their respective kind..we'd be here for a day.

But as for the "oldies but goodies," I'll cast my vote for:

Batman at GAdv

Wild One

Magnum (although we can debate all day what's "old", it IS almost 25 years old)

Gemini (on a good day)

Beast (on a good NIGHT)

Loch Ness Monster (first rode the year it opened, 1978, and still a wonderful ride.)

Those jump out at me at the moment.

In a separate vein, the Coney Cyclone does still "pack a punch"..but it's a real one, and not very pleasant :(

Mike

I actually agree with every coaster you have on here! Must be the pain meds :-P

I would add Rebel Yell to the list.

Jen

Re: Old Roller Coasters that still pack a punch by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 11/6/12 4:51:05 AM
MABrider said:

Katie said:

And rightfully so.

Mike B.

I've visited Lakemont three times since LTD was restored. In 01 it was so slow it barely made the station, In 05 it was much faster with steel on the sideboards taking some friction away.

In 2008 my brother, his wife and I rode and OMG, I swear i was going to end up on the ground, It was the biggest unexpected air and shocking as many times as I had rode it. WOW.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011