Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn)

Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn)

d_n_s_u

Posted:
10/30/12 at
5:33:43 PM

Pixar, Marvel now this.

Cue a new Star Wars film at least..

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by drachen drachen Profile at 10/31/12 2:48:11 PM
This will likely have an impact in the park and film side of all things Disney. It will be interesting...

In related videos, I thought this was funny.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by Stredain Stredain Profile at 10/31/12 3:14:01 PM
I have the sick feeling they will Disney-fy everything.. can you imagine Darth Vader, the Stormtroopers, Luke, Leia and the rest of the gang stopping to break out in song and dance during a lightsaber/space chase section, all of them singing something like This is my land and this is your land or Can you feel the heat of my sword tonight? That would be hilarious!
Glad to see you safe, Drachen!
Yours, Stredain
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by d_n_s_u at 10/31/12 4:12:18 PM
I see that the Star Wars models have arrived at the new miniland area at Legoland Florida....So what's the agreement between Merlin and (now)Disney there then?

Star Wars at LF

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/31/12 5:28:24 PM
...and the stock is down a buck a share today. What's with that?
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by alpengeistno3 at 11/3/12 11:36:28 AM
I don't know how much work has already gone into it, but does anyone want to place any wagers on how long it will be before that new "Avatarland" is announced to be rethemed as "the forests of Endor"? Harry Potter could really have something to compete with then.

Paul

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/5/12 11:14:55 PM
First off, I don't really mind this move unlike the purchase of Marvel comics. As long as Disney just handles the financing and distribution (let the creative team do their job without interference) then I'm indifferent. I do hope they make the next trilogy. Other than the 3rd one, the 1st two movies (episode 1 and 2) were meh and uninteresting. Lucas should've done the sequels instead of the prequels.

I dunno if they will change the Avatar thing because of this unless there some 'opt out clause'. But other than an 'Endor' like theme, there's not much they can do with it. But it is an interesting option.

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by d_n_s_u at 11/6/12 1:46:30 PM
Pardon the pun but I bet the Star Wars Hotel will be "out of this world." :-)
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/6/12 2:32:14 PM
d_n_s_u said:

Pardon the pun but I bet the Star Wars Hotel will be "out of this world." :-)

Sorry, Gary. That's unpardonable.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by segafan7 segafan7 Profile at 11/6/12 3:35:36 PM
I actually see this as probably a VERY GOOD THING for Star Wars fans.

After the debacle of Episodes 1, 2, and 3 (and the latest Indiana Jones film), I REALLY don't want to see another movie put out by George.

Hopefully, the Disney company can put out a much darker, more realistic Star Wars movie and bring back some much needed "clout" to the franchise.

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by d_n_s_u at 11/7/12 2:58:58 PM
segafan7 said:

...Hopefully, the Disney company can put out a much darker, more realistic Star Wars movie and bring back some much needed "clout" to the franchise.

Agreed although this 50 yr old has still not forgotten Disney's foray into Sci Fi courtesy of "The Black Hole"

..Anyone else remember that film? :-)

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 11/9/12 5:39:16 PM
d_n_s_u said:

segafan7 said:

...Hopefully, the Disney company can put out a much darker, more realistic Star Wars movie and bring back some much needed "clout" to the franchise.

Agreed although this 50 yr old has still not forgotten Disney's foray into Sci Fi courtesy of "The Black Hole"

I actually liked that film. Saw it again a couple of years ago and it wasn't that bad. Ok, it wasn't great either, but still...

I'm waiting to see on how it all pans out, but in my opinion Disney certainly couldn't do much worse than what passes for episode 1 and 2.

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 11/9/12 5:53:17 PM
I wonder if Space Mountain will be rethemed to Star Wars.
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/9/12 8:08:29 PM
SirWillow said:
... in my opinion Disney certainly couldn't do much worse than what passes for episode 1 and 2.

Uhh... John Carter?

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 11/9/12 8:42:57 PM
RobLec said:

...and the stock is down a buck a share today. What's with that?

When a big company buys a large amount or all of another, the stock price of the buyer almost always goes down. They are taking all the "risk". It was that way with the mouse and Pixar and Marvel.

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/9/12 10:39:46 PM
d_n_s_u said:

segafan7 said:

I just saw it on one of the premium channels some months back. It was pretty strange. I also hope they don't try to remake it. It seems like something that should be left as is... forgotten.

As for their other Scifi stuff, I never saw the original Tron, but Tron Legacy was pretty good. Visually awesome, but as with any action film: check your brain at the door and enjoy, lol.

* This post was modified at 11/9/12 10:40:34 PM *

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/10/12 6:38:19 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

check your brain at the door and enjoy, lol.

I tried to do that with the Dark Knight Coaster. Didn't work.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/10/12 8:59:28 PM
lmao! :D So true!
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/11/12 11:41:02 AM
theRock-steel said:
When a big company buys a large amount or all of another, the stock price of the buyer almost always goes down. They are taking all the "risk". It was that way with the mouse and Pixar and Marvel.

Guess I was lucky with PVH. The price rose $20/share (!) when they bought Warnco. Also we just doubled our Disney shares after dip following that "disappointing" quarter. It's amazing what they call disappointing these days. Disney ALWAYS bounces back. And FUN has also been doing very well lately.

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm ($4.5bn) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/13/12 1:01:52 PM
Anyone see the latest South Park? Has this buyout as part of the plot. I don't want to ruin it if you haven't seen it but it's the one they did right after the election.

Jen