Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > End of the season: Six Flags America 10/27/12 trip report

End of the season: Six Flags America 10/27/12 trip report

Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile

Posted:
10/29/12 at
2:36:18 PM

I figured that I would make my last 2012
trip to Six Flags America on 10/27 because Sandy might strike on the 28th, and I was right. SFA was closed yesterday.

I started out on the Flying Carousel. It's usually always a walk on for that ride. It was very crowded that day though. Knowing that Batwing's lines get longer, and longer, I headed over to Gotham City, and took a spin on the Jokers Jinx first because the line looked short, and both trains were running on every ride. One of my classmates from was school was a ride op. for Jokers Jinx. It was really weird seeing him oping. a roller coaster,lol.

I finally headed over for Batwing. When I got there, it was surprisingly a short line. Then I found the glitch with Batwings line. It's always long, because once people get in the actual station, there is always a mess of people because everyone always waits for the first gate. I walked past them, and every other gate didn't have long lines.

I rode it twice, and then headed over for Superman. When I got to Superman , there were tables with Ipad's set up with a banner that read, "Insane Coaster Wars." I remember seeing camera's shooting some guy infront of Superman, and he was stating a whole bunch of facts about it. When I was on the ride, there were camera men, filiming us on the ride.When I got off, a lady with a Camera asked me to take a survey on Superman on Ipad's. She gave me an Insane Coaster wars magnet, and told me that this is for a new show called Insane Coaster Wars that will air soon. The guy before me forgot to enter his ratings, and I saw that he gave it a max rating in the "Inversions" category. The last time I checked, Superman doesn't have any Inversions.
The ride on Superman was great, and the lines weren't bad, although, a passenger had a little "accident" that needed to be cleaned up.

I avoided Apocalypse, and went to Roar.
It was the same situation as Batwing, everyone was waiting for the first air gate that came infront of them. so the line poped out of the staion. there were many empty air gates in the back, so i went over to them.

I rode Wild One, and Mind eraser twice,
and then Fright Night started. Not only did the zombies come out, but so did the crowds. The lines for every ride got soooooooo long. We had to use the back-up queue's. Superman at night was amazing!!!. After Superman, I went to try Jokers Jinx at night.

There was almost an altercation in the
line for Jokers Jinx between a mother, and some other teens. It all started when the teens cut in line, and the mother got furious, and started yelling at them, and the teens were yelling back. The Mom's kids, were pulling her back. Needless to say, it wasn't the first time I've seen something like that before. The security came like 15 mins. later. I'm kind of glad that someone finally stood up to line cutters, I've seen grown folks get cut in line by a bunch of teens, and they just stand there as if nothing happened. Although, I wish it was resolved more peacefully. They should at least notify the staff. In line, I saw the Apocalypse flame, and it looked really cool in the dark. So I decided I was going to ride it after I got off Jokers Jinx.

After Apocalypse, I went to meet my parents,
and sister so we could continue fright Night. My parents said they saw a bunch of teens getting arrested, and that some claimed they were doing drugs in the park. I think it's a shame that happens. I thought that the zombies were really cool, they made me excited to go home and play Resident Evil 6 ;). They scared the crap out of my mom,lol. There was a ghoul in every corner, and I recognized one of my friends from school was a ghoul. Kids kept screaming, and running throughout the park, even grown people, it was funny. I rode Mind Eraser in the dark. The line was orginally long, but it got stuck twice, so people started leaving the line angry. which made the line way shorter. It was so cold, and fun in the dark. I rode the bumper cars as my last ride, because they looked really cool. It was completely dark, with music, and colorful lights flashing around. It was funny, because everyone tottaly FAILED at the bumper cars in the dark. Some people hit the ledge and stayed there for half the ride, and the kids kept bumping them, and some went the wrong way, and got got bumped really hard by the other cars.

I got a funnel cake, and left at closing time. Overall it was a good day. I remember on the way out, I smelt gas, and heard a bunch of chainsaw's. Kids started screaming, and running everywhere, and then I saw a bunch of Chainsaw men, it was so funny, and also reminded me of the bella sisters from Resident Evil 4.

Thank you for reading!!!

* This post was modified at 10/29/12 2:39:17 PM *

Re: End of the season: Six Flags America 10/27/12 trip report by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/29/12 3:30:39 PM
Shows what I know...I don't even remember SFA HAVING bumper cars, and I'll usually ride if I see 'em.

I guess they're doing another run of Insane Coaster Wars. The first ended a couple months back and did not feature Supes. It's my second favorite steel coaster, so I'll be happy to see it on a new edition of the show.

*EDIT*..Yep. To air Summer 2013.

http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/family/articles/insane-coaster-wars-goes-international

Mike

* This post was modified at 10/29/12 3:33:33 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: End of the season: Six Flags America 10/27/12 trip report by alpengeistno3 at 10/29/12 5:10:09 PM
Supes and Batwing. We filmed it that morning (Batwing was supposed to be Sunday, but Sandy changed those plans). I was slated to do Supes, but they assigned rows to some degree and the people who got the only one I have been able to fit in (6-2) weren't interested in moving. Wasn't a big deal because I can't ride Supes that many times consecutively without serious leg pain from the "new" restraints, so I went down to Batwing 5 times instead. (I did come back and ride Supes later, see below)

If they use the footage, I should be in one of those "Travel Moves Me" bumpers they use between shows now. They taped the back row as the seats recline in the station.

I didn't bother to write a trip report, but I too had an altercation with a line cutter at Supes. He and his girlfriend tried to push past me when I did not move and found out it wasn't working, so she tried running into my arm repeatedly. Dude got angry and grabbed my jacket asking "what are you doing" as if I am hitting his girl. I'm like, "dude, your girl is running into my arm!" When he realized that I wasn't going to hit him, he just pushed by my riding buddy who was a fairly tall guy himself, but not interested in the confrontation. I had assumed the flash pass op who was only 50 ft away had seen the whole thing would toss them, but they stopped their cutting spree about 10 people shy of her and waited for her to let the line enter the station before cutting the rest of the way right to the train. It wasn't worth making any more noise about because unless someone is from security, SFA won't do anything about cutters.

The park was mobbed to the point that people were just blindly running into people on the midways when they were scared by the actors. I had to shove quite a few off of me. Been a long time since I had been to SFA when it was that crowded (they apparently did close entrance to the park because the signs out front on Rt 214 said, "Sold Out, Park closed".) We had rode everything pretty much in the morning, so I wasn't concerned about the crowds at that point and we just hung out and saw some shows. Superman's line took 1 hour at 9:00, so it was the last ride of the day for us.

Paul

PS
SFA provided breakfast and lunch as well as free admission for all attendees to the taping. In addition to the pasties and donuts Hershey and KD provided, they had bacon, eggs, sausage and biscuits. Lunch was grilled chicken and sausages in marinara with salad and pasta, along with premium ice cream (twix, snickers, nutty buddies, and bomb pops). Nice to see SFA really outdo the other area parks on something!

Re: End of the season: Six Flags America 10/27/12 trip report by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/29/12 5:19:06 PM
alpengeistno3 said:


pasties and donuts

Typo of the year. Congratulations, Paul.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: End of the season: Six Flags America 10/27/12 trip report by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 10/29/12 6:41:27 PM
Thanks for the TR. I just have a few comments and questions:

First, on Batwing, is there really any advantage to the front row? I've been on both the B&M and Vekoma flyers (prefer Vekoma) and with the flying position, the visuals in the front don't seem to be much better. Seems like you won on that deal.

Second, what is your overall opinion on Roar? I just roade Roar West and wasn't thrilled by it. It is a fun, good coaster, no doubt, but it didn't blow my mind. No out-of-control feeling that I love on woodies.

Third, glad you got on Apocalypse. I loved it at Great America, and rank it as my 2nd fav stand up (and I love stand ups!)

Finally, I had similar experiences with teenagers at SFoT back in 2010. It was the first and last time I will ever attend on the actual Halloween on a weekend. The park was filled with teenagers, and a fight broke out right in front of my. Line jumping was bad and waits were long. ANd to think, I taught high school for 7 years!

Here's to a wonderful 2013 season!

- Pat-O

Re: End of the season: Six Flags America 10/27/12 trip report by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 10/29/12 7:44:41 PM
LoneStar said:

Thanks for the TR. I just have a few comments and questions:


First, on Batwing, is there really any advantage to the front row? I've been on both the B&M and Vekoma flyers (prefer Vekoma) and with the flying position, the visuals in the front don't seem to be much better. Seems like you won on that deal.

Second, what is your overall opinion on Roar? I just roade Roar West and wasn't thrilled by it. It is a fun, good coaster, no doubt, but it didn't blow my mind. No out-of-control feeling that I love on woodies.

Third, glad you got on Apocalypse. I loved it at Great America, and rank it as my 2nd fav stand up (and I love stand ups!)

Finally, I had similar experiences with teenagers at SFoT back in 2010. It was the first and last time I will ever attend on the actual Halloween on a weekend. The park was filled with teenagers, and a fight broke out right in front of my. Line jumping was bad and waits were long. ANd to think, I taught high school for 7 years!

Here's to a wonderful 2013 season!

- Pat-O

Yes, some teenagers think their super "bad", and I'm surprised their parents allow them to go to amusement parks alone. Only to come home in handcuffs. They act so "macho" at school, but when it comes to Fright Fest, they piss their pants,lol.

I am sorry you guys had experiences like that. I don't like how SFA's security show up very late. Someone could have gotten killed (God Forbid) in the amount of time they took to get to there.


I really like Roar, but I really wish if Six Flags gave it Melennium Flyer trains. It can be really painful near the end of the ride. I really liked Roar at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

As for Batwing, I like the back row best because you get a great view of everything, except most of the time in the summer, the sun is in your eyes on the way up the lift. It really doesn't matter to me. I feel the same way on Batwing regardless where I sit. I think Nighthawk at Carowinds is my favorite Vekoma Flyer. I love the corkscrews.

* This post was modified at 10/29/12 7:47:38 PM *

Re: End of the season: Six Flags America 10/27/12 trip report by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/29/12 8:18:07 PM
Great TR. I have been to Six Flags America twice. Once this year, and in 2000, the first year of Superman. This year we really had a great time, with a very small crowd. In 2000 the park was very crowded, but not as crowded as you and Paul stated it was on Saturday. That type of behavior from teenagers will drive away families. Knowing what I know now, I don't plan on visiting the park during the Halloween season on a Saturday. When we were there in July, I was super impressed with the SF America staff. It sounds like they need to enhance security for next year.
Re: End of the season: Six Flags America 10/27/12 trip report by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 10/30/12 12:52:53 AM
I was also there on Saturday, and did the morning filming (I was assigned to be on Batwing and managed to get a good 4 rides in the middle couple of rows) as well. They definitely had plenty to eat there, at breakfast and at lunch (which was an ACE event).

After the filming ended and the park opened to the public, I went and rode Wild One three times, and then hit Apocalypse before heading back to the picnic area for lunch. Unfortunately I couldn't stay long enough to do any of the haunts but did (barely) have time for a ride (it's a wonder I got one at all with the glacially slow ride ops, more about that later) on S:ROS and one on JJ. Skipped Roar and Mind Eraser due to time constraints and the fact that the park was really beginning to fill up around 3:30 pm.

I hadn't been to SFA since early 08' (or maybe it was 07') and had forgotten a good bit about the park and coasters. Last time I rode a Vekoma flyer I didn't care for it for some reason (might have been Firehawk at KI but it seems it was somewhere else since I haven't been to KI since SOB was still operating and had the loop and this was more recent), but I discovered that I really did enjoy Batwing. It will never be real high on my list of favorite coasters, but it seemed a lot better than my memories of my last few rides on a Vekoma flyer. One thing I can say is that unlike many (or perhaps most) Vekomas this one is a pain-free ride (no headbanging of course) and the corkscrew wasn't rough at all. Also, I had forgotten the very intense g's pulled when entering the loop and exiting it, and the unique feeling of going thru a loop laying on your back.

Wild One was also smoother than I had feared it might be, and I was able to ride in the middle of the train w/o experiencing any jarring or extreme roughness. Normally on most woodies I won't sit any further back than the seat behind the front. I have always thought that this is a really under-rated woodie that is sadly ignored by many enthusiasts.

S:ROS, oddly enough,was a bit rougher than I remember it, but not a bad ride at all. The only thing that caught me off guard was that one place where the track lurches quickly to the side before the final run of bunny hops before the brakes. Also, this is one coaster (despite it being rather diminutive compared to many hypers and of course the giga coasters out there today) where you really do get a sense of height if you ride on the left side of the train. Anyone with a fear of heights would probably find looking down from the lift hill and seeing all the tiny people wandering about below to be terrifying. I guess it's because you have perspective, where as many hypers have their lifts over woods and areas where you can't look right down on people and so you don't have as much a frame of reference for how high up you are.

On Apocalypse I decided to make my first ride a front seat one, as the line was only to the top of the stairs. And also I had heard quite a few people remark on its roughness so I decided to play it safe.
And that strategy paid off - the ride was indeed rough, and reminded me a lot of Vortex at CGA. I got a little bit of head-banging that I was unable to avoid, but one the train got past the block brake I was able to lean into the curves and prevent any more headbanging. The only other thing I didn't like (and something I don't remember having a problem with on other stand-ups, like Green Lantern or Mantis) was that the seat seemed press on the insides of my legs in an uncomfortable way. Maybe the seat is shaped a bit differently on this first generation B&M stand up than more recent ones, but that contributed to a not so pleasant ride. This ride will likely be one that I will only ride if I'm at the park with someone who wants to ride.

Finally I rode Jokers Jinx, especially since I didn't get the chance to ride FOF at KD a couple of weeks ago. My impression was that I like JJ better than FOF, but for some reason the launch seemed to be a bit slower (probably really isn't - just seems to be because it's outside and daylight). JJ also seemed to be smoother, which is odd since FOF isn't exposed to the elements.


SFA really does have a decent collection of coasters, despite the way it is disparaged. The ride ops at most of the coasters were moving quickly (especially on Wild One, which has always been so slow to load for some reason) and that helps. However, the ops over at S:ROS were awful. I got in line and the line was just at the bottom of the stairs and I swear it took almost a half hour from that point. I couldn't imagine why things were moving so slow until I got up on the platform. The ops were taking forever (here were a couple of zombies out before the haunts) to load and dispatch the trains, and were making it worse by doing stupid things like trying to get everyone in the train to do the wave. A couple of times they would ask riders to do the wave 2-3 times before they would dispatch - and this after they farted around checking the restraints! That was really, really irritating - all the other coasters with 2 train operations had lines that moved much more quickly. I can see playing around if it's an ERT or something, or almost no one is there, but not when you have a line that is almost a half hour long (which didn't need to be).

JJ had a line about the same length, and it only took maybe 15 minutes.

But overall I enjoyed my day at SFA and really do think that they are trying to improve the park and the rides.

Re: End of the season: Six Flags America 10/27/12 trip report by alpengeistno3 at 10/30/12 1:44:42 PM
Sorry I missed you the entire time. I was in the back of Batwing with Katie, Mike and their son Tommy the whole time.

Schrecken said:

They definitely had plenty to eat there, at breakfast and at lunch (which was an ACE event).

It was an ACE event, but the park provided everything for near gratis since they waived the fees for everyone who signed up for the Travel Channel taping. Some people did come in later and had to pay, but at worst it was a huge discount for ACE, and a great gesture from the park to provide both breakfast and lunch.

Schrecken said:

I hadn't been to SFA since early 08' (or maybe it was 07') and had forgotten a good bit about the park and coasters. Last time I rode a Vekoma flyer I didn't care for it for some reason (might have been Firehawk at KI but it seems it was somewhere else since I haven't been to KI since SOB was still operating and had the loop and this was more recent), but I discovered that I really did enjoy Batwing. It will never be real high on my list of favorite coasters, but it seemed a lot better than my memories of my last few rides on a Vekoma flyer. One thing I can say is that unlike many (or perhaps most) Vekomas this one is a pain-free ride (no headbanging of course) and the corkscrew wasn't rough at all. Also, I had forgotten the very intense g's pulled when entering the loop and exiting it, and the unique feeling of going thru a loop laying on your back.

The Vekomas' layout is far superior to the Supermen UF's from B&M. The lie to fly and fly to lie transitions add a lot more variety to the layout. They are smoother than other Vekomas, despite the vest restraints. I think Batwing just gets a bad rep because of its awkward location at the deadend at the back of the park and the subpar capacity/operations. By the way, Nighthawk at Carowinds has the corkscrews. Batwing and Firehawk have barrel rolls.

Schrecken said:

Wild One was also smoother than I had feared it might be, and I was able to ride in the middle of the train w/o experiencing any jarring or extreme roughness. Normally on most woodies I won't sit any further back than the seat behind the front. I have always thought that this is a really under-rated woodie that is sadly ignored by many enthusiasts.

WO was running rougher than it ever has. There is a pothole coming in at the bottom of the helix and a really nasty jolt at the top of the speed hill under what is left of Skull Mountain. With that being said, it is by far the best out-and-back wooden coaster on the East Coast and often get overlooked by those who are not here in the area when they make their lists. If one of the shows ever come back to SFA, WO should be the next coaster they feature. (personally, I say over Batwing, but I understand the reason they chose that one instead.)

Schrecken said:

On Apocalypse I decided to make my first ride a front seat one, as the line was only to the top of the stairs. And also I had heard quite a few people remark on its roughness so I decided to play it safe.
And that strategy paid off - the ride was indeed rough, and reminded me a lot of Vortex at CGA. I got a little bit of head-banging that I was unable to avoid, but one the train got past the block brake I was able to lean into the curves and prevent any more headbanging. The only other thing I didn't like (and something I don't remember having a problem with on other stand-ups, like Green Lantern or Mantis) was that the seat seemed press on the insides of my legs in an uncomfortable way. Maybe the seat is shaped a bit differently on this first generation B&M stand up than more recent ones, but that contributed to a not so pleasant ride. This ride will likely be one that I will only ride if I'm at the park with someone who wants to ride.

No block brake on Apocalyse (was there ever a brake on that flat section at SFGram? It feel like it is setting up for one.) The turns are the smoothest part of the ride. The transition into the vertical loop and out of the corkscrew are the real chop-busters, but sitting in the front mitigates that a lot. (it's just BORING!)

I think the seats are the same as the other B&M's. I have to stand "bow-legged" on them for comfort. Apocalyse does seem to have more of a point to them as my pants keeps getting caught on them when I board (tore my shorts this summer and even my jeans were getting caught last Sunday.) They said they are modified, but I don't think the actual dimensions are different. The Togo Standup seats are far less intrusive.

Schrecken said:

Finally I rode Jokers Jinx, especially since I didn't get the chance to ride FOF at KD a couple of weeks ago. My impression was that I like JJ better than FOF, but for some reason the launch seemed to be a bit slower (probably really isn't - just seems to be because it's outside and daylight). JJ also seemed to be smoother, which is odd since FOF isn't exposed to the elements.

The reason FOF is rougher than JJ is that LIMS were late in the construction schedule for the 2 rides (this was the 1st time they were being used for a coaster, remember?) As a result, Paramount constructed the buildings before the actual track had arrived (and I presume the layout was finalized) to prevent further delays. When the track was assembled, it was assembled inside the building using the cranes in the ceiling. It got the job done, but considering the twisted layout, there were a lot more "imperfections" that had to be ironed out once they got it together. There are also less support pieces, either by design or through correction, when Premier designed the outdoor versions. JJ's launch is faster than FOF's (60 vs 54) due to the extra car on the train (6 vs 5), but it doesn't feel that way when you can see the end of the launch track the entire time.

Schrecken said:

SFA really does have a decent collection of coasters, despite the way it is disparaged. The ride ops at most of the coasters were moving quickly (especially on Wild One, which has always been so slow to load for some reason) and that helps. However, the ops over at S:ROS were awful. I got in line and the line was just at the bottom of the stairs and I swear it took almost a half hour from that point. I couldn't imagine why things were moving so slow until I got up on the platform. The ops were taking forever (here were a couple of zombies out before the haunts) to load and dispatch the trains, and were making it worse by doing stupid things like trying to get everyone in the train to do the wave. A couple of times they would ask riders to do the wave 2-3 times before they would dispatch - and this after they farted around checking the restraints! That was really, really irritating - all the other coasters with 2 train operations had lines that moved much more quickly. I can see playing around if it's an ERT or something, or almost no one is there, but not when you have a line that is almost a half hour long (which didn't need to be).

The afternoon staff on Supes was horrible. I don't remember if they had 4 ops checking then, but that night, they were flying (even getting some perfect cycles which has been near impossible once SFA changed the trains.) We made it through the entire queue line with 5 switch backs in just under 1 hr. Wild One ERT was the worst with one op waiting until the other train was completely parked to check her side. It was not like anyone was loading either as most everyone kept their seat. Once the crowds came, everyone was hustling, so I guess they can turn their game on when they decided to play. Should be like that all the time, though!

Despite all the clones, SFA does probably have the best top to bottom coaster collection in the Mid Atlantic. There are no "turkeys" in the bunch (ME is probably their worst coaster when you boil it all down and it is a pretty exciting ride.) The park does get a bad rep because of some of the clientele it draws from the area (both in guests and staff), but the ride collection, while small, is very good.

Paul

* This post was modified at 10/30/12 1:52:51 PM *

Re: End of the season: Six Flags America 10/27/12 trip report by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 10/31/12 8:12:44 AM
GOsh, Roar with PTCs. I can see how that could be uncomfortable.

- Pat-O