Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend

Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
10/26/12 at
8:33:31 PM

I'm a little worried about this closing weekend for these two Northeast parks. There's no rain predicted for Allentown tomorrow. But There is for Sunday, so I imagine some will switch days and come Saturday. They're also pushing a "Bring-a-Friend For $14.99" offer for passholders. Last Saturday of Haunt, Hurricane coming through, good deals...this could be a perfect storm leading to crowds not often seen in Dorney's dry side. I'm meeting my guests around 11, and I hope to do most if not all major rides before the Haunt kicks in at 7. I have Fright Lane for a certain number of Haunt attractions.

Sunday? I dunno. There's a good chance of rain in Jersey as Hurricane Sandy approaches, although they're saying the HEAVIEST rains will arrive late Monday/early Tuesday. Will it be as crowded as what Jen and I saw last weekend? I doubt it.

I guess we'll see what happens.

To all heading out, have a blast and be careful with the weather.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend by alpengeistno3 at 10/26/12 8:57:57 PM
I already mentioned this to you, but for the board's sake, Travel Channel and SFA has "cancelled" (well, actually "moved" would be a more appropriate word) the Sunday Batwing shoot. I've have been twice a victim of Gradv closing because of weather (once in the park and once getting ready to leave for the park that morning), so with the type of weather they are predicting, I would not expect Gradv to make it anywhere near the posted 10:00 PM closing time.

Paul

Re: Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/27/12 2:49:22 PM
It's supposed to rain all day and with sustained winds of 30 mph (not including higher gusts) during the day I think it's pretty safe that KK will not be running, even if the rain doesn't start until later. I don't think it's a good idea to even attempt it. If mandatory evacuations are ordered for the shore towns good luck getting home (that was more for Mike than Paul). I was hoping for a final launch Sun morning but I'm not dealing with that potential mess. When the Hurricane came through last year they closed the park before it even started - wouldn't be surprised if they did that this time around as well.

Jen

Re: Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend by alpengeistno3 at 10/28/12 1:29:57 AM
Last message on Facebook
"Park Operation Update: We're planning for regular park operation tomorrow, 10:30 a.m. - 10 p.m. Please stay tuned for updates regarding weather and a possible early closing.

Anyone needing to process 2013 Season Passes can do so today, tomorrow or Nov. 3 & 4 from 12 - 5 p.m. during the Grape Adventure Wine and Food Festival. It's free to come process your pass, but don't miss out on this great event only $20 for event tickets or $35 for the wine event plus a VIP safari experience!" (end quote)

SFA and BGE have already announced their closings, I figure the other parks are just trying to make a money grab on parking, but most likely will follow suit if the crowds don't show up.

Paul

Re: Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/28/12 5:32:29 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Last message on Facebook

SFA and BGE have already announced their closings, I figure the other parks are just trying to make a money grab on parking, but most likely will follow suit if the crowds don't show up.

Paul

...and they didn't. I got there about 10:30, got to Toro at 10:45, and they hadn't even dispatched the first train of the day yet. There could not have been 2000 people in the park. One train on Medusa? One train on Nitro? When do you see that? I left about 2:15 and it was just starting to drizzle..yet there were some folks just coming in. I have no idea if the park will make their 10pm closing, but I got 33 rides in 3.5 hours..and that includes walking time.

Mike

Re: Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/28/12 5:56:52 PM
beastmaster said:

...and they didn't. I got there about 10:30, got to Toro at 10:45, and they hadn't even dispatched the first train of the day yet. There could not have been 2000 people in the park. One train on Medusa? One train on Nitro? When do you see that? I left about 2:15 and it was just starting to drizzle..yet there were some folks just coming in. I have no idea if the park will make their 10pm closing, but I got 33 rides in 3.5 hours..and that includes walking time.

Mike

Was KK running?

Jen

Re: Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/28/12 6:06:58 PM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

Was KK running?

Jen

Surprisingly, yes, considering the pretty heavy winds. I didn't make it over to that area or the Boardwalk at all, though.

Mike

Re: Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/28/12 7:18:14 PM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

Was KK running?

Jen

Surprisingly, yes, considering the pretty heavy winds. I didn't make it over to that area or the Boardwalk at all, though.

Mike

:~(

I wouldn't have been able to go anyway - I have a feeling those forces would've be a bit painful on my surgery site...

(FYI: had horrible oral surgery Thursday and still in quite a bit of discomfort - ankle doesn't get done until Fri if I don't float out to see with the storm)

How was the traffic going home? The mandatory evacuations around here were by 4 pm.

Jen

Re: Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 10/28/12 7:27:21 PM
They didn't make it to 10. Their facebook page said they closed early at 7.

-Josh

Re: Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend by alpengeistno3 at 10/28/12 7:39:56 PM
I had a hunch that they would close shop. A state of emergency from the Governor and they are still going to stay open?!?!

The lines were probably amazing, but the drive home would not have made it worth it. At least my pass is all processed and ready to go for opening day next year :)

Paul

Re: Some Trepidation...Dorney/Great Adventure This Weekend by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/28/12 7:52:52 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

The lines were probably amazing, but the drive home would not have made it worth it. At least my pass is all processed and ready to go for opening day next year :)

Paul

Lines? Whazzat?

See you there(?) ;)