Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What Does it Take to Become a Roller Coaster Designer?

What Does it Take to Become a Roller Coaster Designer?

aMondayMorning

Posted:
10/26/12 at
5:49:58 PM

Hey guys, me again, and boy, am I asking a lot of questions lately, or what?

As you probably don't know, one of my ultimate dream jobs is to be a roller coaster designer, be it for my own company, or for B&M, or Arrow, etc. I'd die one happy camper if this were to happen.

I am 16 and currently trying to get me edumacation, so what courses are required to get me a job in that field? I know it's quite a ways away from now, but it's good to make plans for the future, right? I mean, I already know what I want to do in life, that already more than what most kids have my age. I think i'm off to a good start, kindof.

Having asked that, how is the industry doing as of now? Because as much as I would love designing coasters, I do want to make a decent living and have the ability to put food on the table. That'd be nice if I ever want to make a living with my boyfriend. But I digress.
The reason why i'm asking is because I saw this thread "The Beginning of Intamin's Demise in the U.S.?" and it was a bit interesting. I know the downships of one company doesn't encompass the industry as a whole, but, you know, can't hurt to ask, right?

Anyway, I guess that's it for now. I might move into some technical questions later, though. I hope that's alright.

Re: What Does it Take to Become a Roller Coaster Designer? by SabreDan17 at 10/27/12 12:05:58 AM
A degree in structural or mechanical engineering. If the industry falls though, there are a billion other jobs you would be qualified for.
Re: What Does it Take to Become a Roller Coaster Designer? by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 10/29/12 1:45:06 PM
I am your age, and also want to be a coaster designer. Get good grades right now in high school so that you can get great engineering school scholarships, and get involved in extra cirricular activities like sports, best buddies, National Honor Society, Drama Club, etc.

You need mechanical engineering degrees. Also, try to come up with a new kind of coaster if you want to be succsesful. Notice how B&M made an award winning wing-rider, and dive machine. Think of something out of this world. If people invented flying, and inverted coasters, you can invent something new too.

Good Luck!!

Re: What Does it Take to Become a Roller Coaster Designer? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 10/30/12 5:00:48 PM
The biggest key to getting a job in the industry is to get connections to the industry. There are only a very small number of jobs working on coaster design and a very large number of people who would like to have them. If you don't have connections and an "in" then it's not going to happen.

Some have done it through internships. Others through coaster enthusiast events and/or media events and working on getting to know the company leaders that way. The big park expos and trading fairs are also good ways to get yourself out there.

My biggest encouragement, though you might not take it as such, is to look for another area that you are going to be just as happy working in. Because the reality is that the chances of you working for one of the coaster companies is very slim. It's a great goal to shoot for, but as I said there are very very few jobs in the field anyways, and openings are rare. Good luck.