Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Kings Dominion TR: 10/21

Kings Dominion TR: 10/21

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
10/25/12 at
1:23:01 PM

We left the house Sunday morning around 5:00am. While it was dark out, I really took my time. The deer are really moving this time of year. We stopped for breakfast in Breezewood. We then headed for Kings Dominion. We arrived at the park at 9:55. After we parked the car, we started towards the main gate, and I could hear The National Anthem playing. It was right at 10:00. I bought our tickets online for $29.99 each. This was the first time I have ever bought tickets online. When we presented our tickets, they came up invalid. We had to go to guest services. The guy was very friendly and said they were having problems with these types of tickets. We wanted me to enter in a certain line. I demanded that he come with me in case there was a problem again. We waited in line once to get in, I felt I shouldn't have to wait again, being that it was the park's fault. We did come with us, we went strait to the front on the line, and he got us in. Being that I work on the river, I have key chains of nautical knots that I have made. My oldest son was carrying an extra set of car keys with the knots. When he took them out to go through the metal detector they had 20 questions about these knots. I tried to explain what they were, but it turned into an argument. I asked if they wanted me to go to guest services again. Finally they just let us in. It was 10:20 now, and I was pissed.

We headed over to Dominator for our first ride. We grabbed row 4, so I could sit in the big boy seat. To me Dominator has always been a good ride, but not great. The first time I rode it was It's inaugural year in 2000 at Six Flags Ohio. The massive vertical loop is my favorite part of the ride. The ride is a little forceful, but nothing stellar. My daughter loved it. She even bought a ride photo key chain. I wonder if they'll let her in with that key chain. We did ride it again later on in the day and grabbed row 5, where the other big boy seat is. We waited about 10 minutes for the second ride that was later on in the day.

Now it was 10:30, and time for all the coasters to open. We hustled down to Intimadator 305. When we got there, I305 and Flight of Fear were down. Now my patience was really thin. We then headed over to Volcano. We waited about 10 minutes and grabbed row 3. My oldest son and a ride op worked hard to get me buckled in. They did a great job and got me in, but it was tight. I have always loved this ride. The second launch that shoots out of the Volcano is awesome. My kids really liked loved this ride, especially my oldest son. The ride is very unique, well themed, and just a lot of fun. Unfortunately this would be our only ride of the day. We checked several times, but the line was very long all day, well over 45 minutes.

We then headed back over to I305. As we were walking towards it, they just opened it. We walked onto the back seat. The last time I rode this was in It's very original form, in May of 2010. I was wondering with all the changes, would I305 still be my favorite steel.coaster. Well first of all the new soft restraints are awesome. The first drop actually seems even better. The turn after the first drop still had me greying out. The first air time hill is still as great as it was. The low to the ground turns are still awesome, and now there is no head banging. There are trims near the end of the ride that really kills that air time hill and the very end of the ride, it just scrubs a lot of speed off. All in all, this is still by far my favorite steel coaster. Both of my sons called I305 the best coaster that they have ever ridden. We got back in line and waited 4 trains for front seat. Now I rode it in the front in 2010, but I really didn't like the front. I really liked the back seat. This time the front was just as good as the back, if not better. We then walked onto the second from back seat. At this point, my daughter needed a break from I305. The coaster was a little to extreme for her to keep riding in the marathon fashion that I wanted to. We did grab 3 more rides during the day, all near the back seat, for a total of 6 rides. The line was 10-15 minutes long in the afternoon.

After our first 3 rides on I305, we headed over to Flight of Fear. My daughter loved Jokers Jinx, so I knew she would love FOF. We waited 4 trains for front seat. My kids really liked this ride, but to me Jokers Jinx is so much faster, forceful, and fun. I don't like how FOF just about stops, midway through the coarse. It just ruins the last part of the ride. This was our only ride of the day .

Next we headed over to Anaconda. We waited 2 trains for front seat. I was telling the kids how much I liked this coaster, when I first rode it in 1994. I still think its cool how it goes under the water. The first vertical loop is a lot of fun also, but that's where the fun stops and the head banging begins. All of agreed that the coaster was very rough, and that 1 ride is all we wanted.

Next we headed over to Back Lot Stunt Coaster. We waited about 20 minutes and grabbed the back seat. The ride itself is mediocre, with some theming. I always liked Kings Island's version better. The helicopter was not working. The kids liked the theming of the ride. The line was about 20 minutes all day long, so this was our only ride.

We headed over to Shockwave. I knew there was no way I was going to fit. We waited about 5 trains for.front seat. This was my first ever stand up coaster, when I rode it in 1994. When it was time to board, I put one shoulder in and realized that I was going to have to twist my body in a way that it hasn't been twisted in quite a while in order to get the other shoulder in. I didn't even try, and took my second ever walk of shame. The kids didn't care for it, and complained how rough it was.

Then we headed over to Ghoaster Coaster. We waited about 15 minutes for a back seat ride. This coaster is pretty good for a kiddie coaster. I'll ride any wooden coaster. The kids grabbed a ride on the other kiddie coaster, Taxi Jam.

Next up we headed for Avalanche. I have always liked this ride. That's why I wish Knoebles would get Flying Turns running. We waited about 15 minutes and rode in the second row. The ride is just really fun, and now these type of coasters are disappearing. All the kids really loved this, even my 19 year old son. He was amazed at the bobsled type track. I then informed him that Disaster Transport was the same way, a coaster that he has ridden multiple times. He actually didn't know that. I reall hope Kings Dominion keeps this coaster. It really is a good coaster.

Next we ate lunch. It cost me $58 for the 4 of us, and I just got a chicken sandwich and a drink. The kids got burgers, fries and a drink. $58 dollars, are you kidding me. I told the kids that we are packing sandwichs in a cooler next year.

After lunch we headed for Rebel Yell. They were only running one train, on one side. We waited about 25 minutes for back seat. RY is running great this year. It's super smooth, and loaded with air time. We grabbed another front row ride at night also. My daughter really loved this coaster. These were the best 2 rides, that I have ever had on it. I really wish this coaster was a walk on. It would have been fun to marathon ride it.

Next we waited 20 minutes for Ricochet. This is my favorite standard wild mouse. I like the one at Hershey, but the one at Kings Dominion has a nice first drop, and is super smooth.

We waited about 20 minutes for the back seat of Grizzly. They were only running the orange train. I love Grizzly. It's in my top 20 favorite wooden coasters. It's very smooth in some parts, has one rough lateral, and just runs through the coarse very aggressively. At night time we came back to The Grizzly. We waited 2 trains for front seat. Just an awesome night ride. The ride ops were letting us find empty seats and stay on. We rode it 4 more times that night, in different seats for a total of 6 rides. All the night rides were just awesome. I wanted a night ride on I305, but my daughter had enough of I305. It wasn't a big deal, because I have ridden I305 at night in 2010.

We rode 2 flat rides, Triple Spin and Flying Eagles. We also rode Boo Blasters on Boo Hill , the shoot em up dark ride, which probably my favorite of It's type. At the end of the ride the kids said the guns must be broke, because dad actually beat them for the first time.

Kings Dominion did a really great job with their Halloween decorations and costumes. The Eiffel Tower was lit up in red with red eyes. The fog machines were everywhere. The park did a great job in placing things for monsters to hide behind on the midways. We didn't do any haunted attractions, but you really don't need to in order to get that Halloween experience. The one monster tried to sneak up behind me. She got real close to my neck, hissed like a cat, but ended up spitting on me. All in all, Kings Dominion is a great park to go to for the Halloween season.

At 9:00 we started to head out. I drove about 30 minutes and got a room, I was beat. We had a really great time. This was probably our last park visit of the year. Kings Dominion was our 12th different park this year, so It's been a fantastic year. Can't wait for 2013.

Thanks for reading,
Ken

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/25/12 2:08:04 PM
Burgers at KD? Eeewwwww....

I'm a little upset with you, Ken, for re-loading Jen's "kiddie coaster gun." To me, the wooden family coasters at KD/KI/CW, etc..are NOT kiddie coasters. You mentioned Taxi Jam...now THAT's a kiddie coaster!

Doesn't sound as if the lines were MONSTROUS (pun definitely intended) on a Haunt Sunday. My little buddy in VA was there Saturday and reported 2 hour lines on Volcano to his mom, who relayed the info to me. That seems par for the course at KD on a Haunt Saturday.

Thanks for the report, Ken!

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/25/12 3:12:43 PM
beastmaster said:

Burgers at KD? Eeewwwww....


I'm a little upset with you, Ken, for re-loading Jen's "kiddie coaster gun." To me, the wooden family coasters at KD/KI/CW, etc..are NOT kiddie coasters. You mentioned Taxi Jam...now THAT's a kiddie coaster!

Doesn't sound as if the lines were MONSTROUS (pun definitely intended) on a Haunt Sunday. My little buddy in VA was there Saturday and reported 2 hour lines on Volcano to his mom, who relayed the info to me. That seems par for the course at KD on a Haunt Saturday.

Thanks for the report, Ken!

Mike

The lines were really short. The only reason some of the coasters had lines, was due to single train operation. Even coasters like Dominator and I305 were only 10 minutes. All the ride ops were super slow. Every time we rode I305, we sat on the break run for a few minutes. Volcano did have a 45 minute line, but that was really the only long line. When we added it up we got over 25 rides. We could have rode I305 a few more times, but 6 was enough for Haley. That greying out feeling really affected her, and I wasn't going to push the issue. We had a better day than I ever imagined. We really did have an awesome time.

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by ray_p ray_p Profile at 10/25/12 3:22:44 PM
Nice TR of the other Kings park. :) I find it interesting that Kings Dominion does Haunt activities on Sunday while Kings Island does not. I wonder what the reasoning is for that.

I have yet to ride I-305 and am hoping to remedy that next summer. Even though I am fast becoming a B&M hyper fanboy, I still enjoy a wild Intamin coaster every now and then.

I missed Avalanche on my last visit to KD and I have not been on it since 1998. That also needs to be remedied as it is a fantastic ride.

Having ridden all 3 Craplot Stunt Coasters, I will also agree that Kings Island's is the best. While I didn't ride it this past Sunday, I did notice the fire effects were working, something both the KD and CW versions were missing.

Thanks for sharing another great TR frontrow. :)

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 10/25/12 3:24:07 PM
Ken,

I, too, am a bigger boy and I am a regular to KD. I am 6'2" 285# and I need assistance with Volcano every time I'm there and can barely breathe. However, on Dominator, I can ride front seat all day without needing any assistance to get strapped in.

If you didn't have to take the walk on Volcano, you may fit on any regular seat on Dominator.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/25/12 4:31:15 PM
Great_Ump said:

Ken,


I, too, am a bigger boy and I am a regular to KD. I am 6'2" 285# and I need assistance with Volcano every time I'm there and can barely breathe. However, on Dominator, I can ride front seat all day without needing any assistance to get strapped in.

If you didn't have to take the walk on Volcano, you may fit on any regular seat on Dominator.

Joe
Great_Ump

I have been fitting in regular seats on B&M coasters with the over the shoulder restraints, but It's really tight and uncomfortable. I have ridden the front seat of Dominator at Kings Dominion and at Geauga Lake. I just rather be comfortable. I told the kids they could wait for the front if they wanted to, which was an additional 10 minutes. They were satisfied sitting in rows 4 and 5. Thanks for the info. The bottom line is that I need to lose some weight over the winter, so this won't be an issue next year. I have always loved riding coasters. Out of my hobbies, it is my favorite. My kids passion for coasters has made my passion grow. I think It's time to give a valid effort to make sure we can enjoy this hobby together in the coming years.

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by alpengeistno3 at 10/25/12 8:35:32 PM
Great TR, Ken. I enjoy reading the perspectives on KD (and Busch) from people who don't visit all the time. Very refreshing!!

frontrow said:

It was right at 10:00. I bought our tickets online for $29.99 each. This was the first time I have ever bought tickets online. When we presented our tickets, they came up invalid. We had to go to guest services. The guy was very friendly and said they were having problems with these types of tickets. We wanted me to enter in a certain line. I demanded that he come with me in case there was a problem again. We waited in line once to get in, I felt I shouldn't have to wait again, being that it was the park's fault. We did come with us, we went strait to the front on the line, and he got us in. Being that I work on the river, I have key chains of nautical knots that I have made. My oldest son was carrying an extra set of car keys with the knots. When he took them out to go through the metal detector they had 20 questions about these knots. I tried to explain what they were, but it turned into an argument. I asked if they wanted me to go to guest services again. Finally they just let us in. It was 10:20 now, and I was pissed.

Sounds like your day was about to start out as a disaster. I'm glad to see that you didn't let it bother you for the rest of the day and still had a very good time.

frontrow said:

We headed over to Dominator for our first ride. We grabbed row 4, so I could sit in the big boy seat. To me Dominator has always been a good ride, but not great. The first time I rode it was It's inaugural year in 2000 at Six Flags Ohio. The massive vertical loop is my favorite part of the ride. The ride is a little forceful, but nothing stellar. My daughter loved it. She even bought a ride photo key chain. I wonder if they'll let her in with that key chain. We did ride it again later on in the day and grabbed row 5, where the other big boy seat is. We waited about 10 minutes for the second ride that was later on in the day.

My feelings on Dominator, exactly. I have always felt like the 5 inversions were missing something (*cough, zero-g roll, cough*). While the ride is still quite good without it, it keeps the ride from being amazing.

frontrow said:

Now it was 10:30, and time for all the coasters to open. We hustled down to Intimadator 305. When we got there, I305 and Flight of Fear were down. Now my patience was really thin. We then headed over to Volcano. We waited about 10 minutes and grabbed row 3. My oldest son and a ride op worked hard to get me buckled in. They did a great job and got me in, but it was tight. I have always loved this ride. The second launch that shoots out of the Volcano is awesome. My kids really liked loved this ride, especially my oldest son. The ride is very unique, well themed, and just a lot of fun. Unfortunately this would be our only ride of the day. We checked several times, but the line was very long all day, well over 45 minutes.

Frankly, the gods of karma were looking out for you. Taking care of Volcano 1st is always the best way to go. If you had spent your time on I-305 and Flight of Fear, you would have been punished with something close to that 45 minute wait for Volcano and a potential walk of shame to show for it. Thank those gods (and your son :) that neither of those happened.

frontrow said:

We then headed back over to I305. As we were walking towards it, they just opened it. We walked onto the back seat. The last time I rode this was in It's very original form, in May of 2010. I was wondering with all the changes, would I305 still be my favorite steel.coaster. Well first of all the new soft restraints are awesome. The first drop actually seems even better. The turn after the first drop still had me greying out. The first air time hill is still as great as it was. The low to the ground turns are still awesome, and now there is no head banging. There are trims near the end of the ride that really kills that air time hill and the very end of the ride, it just scrubs a lot of speed off. All in all, this is still by far my favorite steel coaster. Both of my sons called I305 the best coaster that they have ever ridden. We got back in line and waited 4 trains for front seat. Now I rode it in the front in 2010, but I really didn't like the front. I really liked the back seat. This time the front was just as good as the back, if not better. We then walked onto the second from back seat. At this point, my daughter needed a break from I305. The coaster was a little to extreme for her to keep riding in the marathon fashion that I wanted to. We did grab 3 more rides during the day, all near the back seat, for a total of 6 rides. The line was 10-15 minutes long in the afternoon.

I'm with you on the back being the place to be. Front has its own moments, but that 1st drop in the back is just not to be missed. Also, not at all surprising your daughter needed a break. My coworkers went with me in early August and they were done after 2 rides, 2 feeling sick and 1 puking in the bushes!

frontrow said:

After our first 3 rides on I305, we headed over to Flight of Fear. My daughter loved Jokers Jinx, so I knew she would love FOF. We waited 4 trains for front seat. My kids really liked this ride, but to me Jokers Jinx is so much faster, forceful, and fun. I don't like how FOF just about stops, midway through the coarse. It just ruins the last part of the ride. This was our only ride of the day .

There may actually be some statistical proof to the claim that JJ runs faster than FOF, beyond the obvious lack of the mid course brake. Based on the posted speed of the coasters, JJ is 6 mph faster. (FOF is claimed at 54 mph while JJ is 60) There may be some truth to that as FOF's height is claimed to be 78 ft while JJ's is 72 and JJ runs 6 car trains instead of 5. If all those statistics are true, the rides are not as much clones as everyone seems to believe.

The brake has been worse (for a few years, they brought the train to a complete stop before allowing it to proceed after one year of experimenting with it completely open.) The rolling stop used now is the far less annoying, but I have felt like JJ was "too smooth" compared to the awkward jolts that you got from the FOF's at times. Like Grizzly, they give the ride character.

No problems with the seatbelts on FOF?

frontrow said:

Next we headed over to Back Lot Stunt Coaster. We waited about 20 minutes and grabbed the back seat. The ride itself is mediocre, with some theming. I always liked Kings Island's version better. The helicopter was not working. The kids liked the theming of the ride. The line was about 20 minutes all day long, so this was our only ride.

We have trashed KD on here before about not keeping up the theming on Backlot. Some have attributed it to Cedar Fair. Clearly, if KI can do it, no reason KD can't other than they don't consider it a priority.

frontrow said:

We headed over to Shockwave. I knew there was no way I was going to fit. We waited about 5 trains for.front seat. This was my first ever stand up coaster, when I rode it in 1994. When it was time to board, I put one shoulder in and realized that I was going to have to twist my body in a way that it hasn't been twisted in quite a while in order to get the other shoulder in. I didn't even try, and took my second ever walk of shame. The kids didn't care for it, and complained how rough it was.

Getting in Shockwave is an awkward proposition, no matter what size you are!! Fear not, you know you did not miss much.

frontrow said:

Then we headed over to Ghoaster Coaster. We waited about 15 minutes for a back seat ride. This coaster is pretty good for a kiddie coaster.

I'm with Mike. JUNIOR COASTER, NOT KIDDIE COASTER!!!!!!!

frontrow said:

Next up we headed for Avalanche. I have always liked this ride. That's why I wish Knoebles would get Flying Turns running. We waited about 15 minutes and rode in the second row. The ride is just really fun, and now these type of coasters are disappearing. All the kids really loved this, even my 19 year old son. He was amazed at the bobsled type track. I then informed him that Disaster Transport was the same way, a coaster that he has ridden multiple times. He actually didn't know that. I reall hope Kings Dominion keeps this coaster. It really is a good coaster.

Despite the similar track styles, the way I understand it, comparing Knoebels' Flying Turns to Avalanche is like comparing Voyage to Scooby Doo. That ride is going to FAR more aggressive!!
With that being said, it is a shame that there aren't more bobsled style coasters in the US. Hopefully, KD realizes what a gem they have in having the only full train one in North America and won't pitch it like CP did DT.

frontrow said:

Next we ate lunch. It cost me $58 for the 4 of us, and I just got a chicken sandwich and a drink. The kids got burgers, fries and a drink. $58 dollars, are you kidding me. I told the kids that we are packing sandwichs in a cooler next year.

Nothing wrong with paying a lot for lunch...if the lunch is actually good enough to be worth it. Ouimet's claims to be improving food service at all CF parks sure did not come very far this year. Despite some service changes, the food is still crap.

frontrow said:

After lunch we headed for Rebel Yell. They were only running one train, on one side. We waited about 25 minutes for back seat. RY is running great this year. It's super smooth, and loaded with air time. We grabbed another front row ride at night also. My daughter really loved this coaster. These were the best 2 rides, that I have ever had on it. I really wish this coaster was a walk on. It would have been fun to marathon ride it.

I REALLY hate seeing 1 train run on Rebel Yell, even on a "slow" day. The ride is designed to run 4 and the best they can do is 1?!?! Turns my stomach ever time I see it, especially when it seems like the line warrants adding a 2nd one.

frontrow said:

Next we waited 20 minutes for Ricochet. This is my favorite standard wild mouse. I like the one at Hershey, but the one at Kings Dominion has a nice first drop, and is super smooth.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you. Ricochet is too "nice" for my tastes. None of the turns really put the "OMG" in you and the 1st drop, while bigger than a standard mouse, doesn't give you the same thrill as the big one in the middle of the standard mouse, especially when unbraked like Hershey's. I like my wild mice to actually be... well, "wild" and Ricochet should be renamed a "mild mouse".

frontrow said:

We waited about 20 minutes for the back seat of Grizzly. They were only running the orange train. I love Grizzly. It's in my top 20 favorite wooden coasters. It's very smooth in some parts, has one rough lateral, and just runs through the coarse very aggressively. At night time we came back to The Grizzly. We waited 2 trains for front seat. Just an awesome night ride. The ride ops were letting us find empty seats and stay on. We rode it 4 more times that night, in different seats for a total of 6 rides. All the night rides were just awesome. I wanted a night ride on I305, but my daughter had enough of I305. It wasn't a big deal, because I have ridden I305 at night in 2010.

I used to enjoy Grizzly, but lately, the ops have been insisting on stapling me to the seat, trying to get that 2nd click. Never a problem on Rebel Yell or Hurler as I pull the bar down long before they get there, but someone has told the Grizzly ops to make sure the bars are down further and it really makes the middle part of the ride after the fan turn quite painful (I actually had the bar pop back open since it was so tight after they stapled me.)

frontrow said:

Kings Dominion did a really great job with their Halloween decorations and costumes. The Eiffel Tower was lit up in red with red eyes. The fog machines were everywhere. The park did a great job in placing things for monsters to hide behind on the midways. We didn't do any haunted attractions, but you really don't need to in order to get that Halloween experience. The one monster tried to sneak up behind me. She got real close to my neck, hissed like a cat, but ended up spitting on me. All in all, Kings Dominion is a great park to go to for the Halloween season.

I did some of Haunt at Dorney (more than I wanted thanks to the rain) and felt KD's was far superior. They were a lot more creative in the scares with the hiding places. (unfortunately, what you described above was all they did at Dorney, so I guess KD must have imported her from there.)

frontrow said:

Thanks for reading,
Ken

Once again, thanks for the post!

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/26/12 12:33:58 AM
Wonderful tr! 45min wait for Volcano is not bad. My worst was 1 hour (didn't help that they ran only 1 train on that day I went- a thursday in August). Yeah, there's just no way you can get more than 1 ride on volcano without the fast lane thing.

I 2nd the positive experiences with Avalanche. It's a very fun ride and I was disappointed CP just scrapped theirs. Was it because it was too old to be removed and rebuilt at another park or did they just feel it wasn't worth keeping around anymore as a ride? I too hope if the park was to use Avalanche's space for something else, they would either relocate it elsewhere or try to sell it to another park that might want it. It would be a shame if it were to be scrapped just like DT (which I wished I could've rode).

* This post was modified at 10/26/12 12:36:42 AM *

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/26/12 2:21:53 PM
I didn't have any problem getting in Flight of Fear, although it was a tighter fit than Jokers Jinx. I really don't have a problem with lap bars. I carry my excess weight mostly in my chest and shoulders.
Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/26/12 2:28:45 PM
ray_p said:

Nice TR of the other Kings park. :) I find it interesting that Kings Dominion does Haunt activities on Sunday while Kings Island does not. I wonder what the reasoning is for that.


I have yet to ride I-305 and am hoping to remedy that next summer. Even though I am fast becoming a B&M hyper fanboy, I still enjoy a wild Intamin coaster every now and then.

I missed Avalanche on my last visit to KD and I have not been on it since 1998. That also needs to be remedied as it is a fantastic ride.

Having ridden all 3 Craplot Stunt Coasters, I will also agree that Kings Island's is the best. While I didn't ride it this past Sunday, I did notice the fire effects were working, something both the KD and CW versions were missing.

Thanks for sharing another great TR frontrow. :)

We were strongly considering Kings Island on that day. The kids never been to Kings Island, but the last time they were at Kings Dominion they were less than 54 inches tall. They added 7 coasters this past Sunday at Kings Dominion. I'm also a fan of the B&M hypers, but I really like the Intamin hyper/gigas also. Intimadator 305 should be on every enthusiast's must do list. By far, my favorite steel coaster.

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/26/12 2:33:53 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Wonderful tr! 45min wait for Volcano is not bad. My worst was 1 hour (didn't help that they ran only 1 train on that day I went- a thursday in August). Yeah, there's just no way you can get more than 1 ride on volcano without the fast lane thing.


I 2nd the positive experiences with Avalanche. It's a very fun ride and I was disappointed CP just scrapped theirs. Was it because it was too old to be removed and rebuilt at another park or did they just feel it wasn't worth keeping around anymore as a ride? I too hope if the park was to use Avalanche's space for something else, they would either relocate it elsewhere or try to sell it to another park that might want it. It would be a shame if it were to be scrapped just like DT (which I wished I could've rode).

Thanks. Volcano is always a coaster that I ride once every visit, early in the day. I just can't bring myself to wait 45 minutes when Intimadator 305 has a 10 minute line. I also agree about Avalanche. Not only is the unique, but it really is a good coaster. On my inaugural visit to the park in 1994, I was really impressed with it.

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 10/27/12 9:45:29 PM
Thanks for the TR Ken. Sorry about your weird experience at the entrance.

I am so glad you prefer Jokers Jinx to FOF. Nothing against FOF, but after riding Poltergeist, I truly prefer the outdoor versions. No trim brake and the visuals are amazing.

I've never been to KD, but hope to soon.

- Pat-O

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/27/12 10:17:43 PM
LoneStar said:

Thanks for the TR Ken. Sorry about your weird experience at the entrance.


I am so glad you prefer Jokers Jinx to FOF. Nothing against FOF, but after riding Poltergeist, I truly prefer the outdoor versions. No trim brake and the visuals are amazing.

I've never been to KD, but hope to soon.

- Pat-O

Poltergeist is still my favorite out of the 4. It has the speed and intensity of Jokers Jinx, but it is much smoother.

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 10/29/12 6:52:11 PM
Glad you love Poltergeist. I have always said if Fiesta Texas was a bigger, more widely visited park both Poltergeist and Superman KC would get much higher reviews on the board and on many polls.

- Pat-O

Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 11/2/12 3:27:49 PM
Thanks for the TR. I'm sorry about the front gate problem. It sounds like you had a great day. I agree with you on Shockwave, it can be very bumpy, but it's the oldest operating stand-up coaster in the world. I love the new colors Kings Dominion gave it, and am happy they are still planning to keep it nice. Dominator is my 3rd favorite floorless coaster. Medusa at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Bizzaro at Six Flags Great Adventure are my 1st fav.'s. I305 is a good coaster, but I'm sad they trimmed it. I loved Intimidator at Carowinds. I'm glad you had fun!
Re: Kings Dominion TR: 10/21 by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 11/2/12 6:29:40 PM
I-305's only noticable trim is towards the end of the ride on the last hill.Even with that trim,it is hands down the most intense steel in the country.