Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > I have a few questions about Cedar Point

I have a few questions about Cedar Point

aMondayMorning

Posted:
10/24/12 at
6:59:29 PM

(I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to put this. I'm new to the site and all, so don't go too hard on me.)

I've been on here for about a week reading through the threads people have posted, and you all seem like a good bunch of folks with a vast knowledge of roller coasters and amusement parks alike, so I come to you with a set of questions.

Being 16 and without a source of income, I don't travel a lot. And being someone who likes visiting amusement parks, I have a big list of parks i'd like to visit, and as you probably have guessed, Cedar Point is one of them.

Now, to cut to the point, what is Cedar Point like as an overall experience? Is it sortof like Disneyland, with a bunch of neat shows and sights to see, or is it like Magic Mountain, where it puts its emphasis on rides rather than scenery?

Don't get me wrong, I like a massive and intense coaster as much as the next guy, but for me, just the ride alone simply isn't enough.

Take Goliath for example (Oh god don't hate me), I think it provides a smooth and enjoyable ride. It has some exciting drops and powerful turns; The ride is wonderful... in those aspects.
The ride just looked worn down and neglected. It was screaming for a new paint job, the station looked really filthy, and it was really sad to see such a great ride in a state such as that.

(I'll continue this post in a bit, need to switch computers)

Re: I have a few questions about Cedar Point by aMondayMorning at 10/24/12 7:34:18 PM
cont...

(I know this is a cheap comparison, but bare with me)

Disneyland. I really like going to this park. With all of the things to see and how they incorporate that into their attractions and shows. Where the rides aren't anything extraordinary, they make up for it with the beautifully detailed scenery on and around the ride. And even in the queue lines. To me, that just builds up excitement. It adds a lot to a rides quality when you establish an atmosphere, and Disney does an amazing job at that.

I guess those are the two extremes to the answer to this question, so where does Cedar Point fall in between these?

If you have a better comparison, awesome (if possible). I was just establishing a point of reference for you guys when trying to explain to me what the park is like.

On to the next question...
What is there to do there, other than ride the massive roller coasters?

Like, are there cool shows to see and decent places to eat at? Because, to me, those are half of the fun at parks like Disneyland, or Knott's, even.

That's really all for now.

Re: I have a few questions about Cedar Point by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/24/12 8:09:12 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum. You find that most people on here are very knowledgeable and helpful. As for the question, I have been to Cedar Point probably 15 to 20 times. I live about 3 1/2 hours away, but I haven't been there in almost 2 years, which is probably a record for me. The best description of Cedar Point is the thrill capital of the world. It really is all about thrill rides and awesome coasters. The park has a natural beautiful setting, being that it sits on a peninsula on Lake Erie. I myself, love thrill parks. Cedar Point is my 2nd favorite park. I couldn't comment on shows at Cedar Point or any other park. I spend my time riding coasters instead. Cedar Point is nice, but its really not themed. They invest their money in coasters and thrill rides, instead of theming. Somehow that works for them, because the park atmosphere is really pleasant. The restaurants are not themed or upscale. I'm a big guy, who tries to go to parks for as cheap as possible, so we always eat at Midway Market, which is an all you can eat buffet. Anyone who likes parks and rollercoasters should visit Cedar Point. Cedar Point is a huge park. It takes quite a while to walk from one end to the other. The park is very popular, so it is usually very crowded. I always recommend first time visitors spend at least 2 days there. Other than that, you'll just have to visit, experience it for yourself, and draw your own conclusions. I hope this helps.
Re: I have a few questions about Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/24/12 8:44:34 PM
Welcome, MondayMorning!

I may live 10 hours away, but Cedar Point is my favorite park. Oddly, only three coasters reside there that I consider among my favorites...Millennium Force, which I barely fit in last month; Top Thrill Dragster, which I did NOT fit in last month; and Magnum XL200, which I thoroughly enjoyed last month with no issues, except nearly getting tossed out into Lake Erie. Airtime is fun :) I do enjoy a few other coasters there, don't get me wrong. But as Ken mentioned, CP's setting on the lake is awesome, I never miss Cedar Downs, one of only two rides of its type in the country, and I usually spend at least an hour playing the OLD pinball and video games in the Midway Arcade.Food's good, waterpark's a good one. Despite the distance, I've driven to CP 8 or 9 times since first reading about Magnum back around 1989-90. I've only had one bad experience there (my first visit) but that's a long story that has absolutely mothing to do with the park.

But if you're looking for something like Walt's playgrounds....you're looking in the wrong place.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: I have a few questions about Cedar Point by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/24/12 9:31:19 PM
Welcome to the forum! The way I would compare them is there are Theme Parks (Disney) and Amusement Parks (Cedar Point, etc). There are only a few that fall in between and have some crossover, the 2 Busch Gardens parks come to mind. It's all about the rides at CP but the rides are spectacular - you won't miss not seeing any great shows because you'll be too busy trying to ride everything you want to get on.

It's a trip I wish I had made earlier in life. When I was in my late teens/early 20s me and my best friend (we were always Six Flag Great Adventure season pass holders) used to watch the Discovery Channel shows about CP and dream of going. The funny thing is, we could have - just never did. We were too concerned with our weekend plans, partying, boyfriends, concerts, etc and now she has a family and lives in Minnesota (practically on the Canadian border) and I'm still in NJ so the chances of that happening are slim to none and that makes me sad just thinking about it. So my point is go while you're young with some great friends and don't let life get in the way. Do it as soon as you can because before you know it, you'll be in your late 30's going for the first time and kicking yourself because you waited so long and missing your friends who have families, jobs, have moved away and aren't there to share that experience with anymore.

Hope you make it there and have a blast!

Jen

Re: I have a few questions about Cedar Point by aMondayMorning at 10/24/12 9:52:04 PM
(To frontrow)

"They invest their money in coasters and thrill rides, instead of theming. Somehow that works for them, because the park atmosphere is really pleasant."

That's what I like to hear. I just want a pleasant atmosphere. Probably should have clarified that i'm not really looking for theming like Disneyland, I just wanted to know if it's a nice looking park, and it seems so.

To be honest, I just wanted to know if they were above building rides on parking lots.

(To beastmaster (Sorry, I don't know how to quote))

As if the awesome-looking coasters weren't enough, they have a waterpark, too? Geez.

And airtime IS fun, huh?

(To GoYanks)

I've been to Busch Gardens, actually (The one in Denver, Colorado). Last June. It was a pleasant-looking park with some cool rides, in my opinion. Nothing groundbreaking, really. Just a neat little park. I had lots of fun.

The problem with going there for me is that I live in Arizona, so driving there isn't really an option. When I get a good source of income, I was just thinking of bringing my boyfriend. I don't really have any friends to bring. :/

It seems like you guys had a great time there. It looks fun, you guys say it's cool, so i guess i'm in for a treat, huh?

Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

Re: I have a few questions about Cedar Point by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/24/12 10:00:04 PM
aMondayMorning said:

I've been to Busch Gardens, actually (The one in Denver, Colorado). Last June. It was a pleasant-looking park with some cool rides, in my opinion. Nothing groundbreaking, really. Just a neat little park. I had lots of fun.

Busch Gardens is only in Tampa, FL and Williamsburg, VA - there isn't one in Colorado - your probably thinking of Elitch Gardens - no relation.

Jen

Re: I have a few questions about Cedar Point by aMondayMorning at 10/24/12 10:11:58 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Busch Gardens is only in Tampa, FL and Williamsburg, VA - there isn't one in Colorado - your probably thinking of Elitch Gardens - no relation.

Jen

Oh crap, you're right. I'm retarded.
Whoopsie-doodle.

Re: I have a few questions about Cedar Point by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/24/12 11:27:03 PM
aMondayMorning said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Oh crap, you're right. I'm retarded.
Whoopsie-doodle.

LOL! Don't worry, we ALL make mistakes!

Jen

Re: I have a few questions about Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/25/12 6:20:07 AM
aMondayMorning said:

(To beastmaster (Sorry, I don't know how to quote))

As if the awesome-looking coasters weren't enough, they have a waterpark, too? Geez.

With TWO!!! lazy rivers (my favorite component of a water park.) I've actually been in Soak City only once, though, to be honest.

No worries on the quoting..I have trouble with it too. I haven't figured out how to quote more than one passage in a reply.

Hope you'll be sticking around here!

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: I have a few questions about Cedar Point by augustus35 augustus35 Profile at 10/25/12 12:40:53 PM
They spend their cash in coasters and excitement trips, instead of theme parks. Somehow that performs for them, because the recreation area environment is really enjoyable.