Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12!

499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12!

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
10/21/12 at
2:08:21 PM

I wanted to title this TR: 500 million at GAdv today but Mike said that would be exaggerating as there were only 499,999,999. Crazy doesn’t even begin to describe it.

I’ve been having a really rough couple of weeks and desperately needed some joy in my life. I’m having surgery on the torn ligament in my ankle on 11/2 and this would be my last “hoorah”, so to speak. My ankle has been quite painful on a normal day lately and I knew it would be challenging to get through a day at Gadv but I wasn’t going to let that stop me. I needed an escape from the stresses of life and this was just the ticket.

I got to the park around 10:15 am and met up with Mike G. When I saw the amount of people waiting to get in (they are not letting people in before 10:30 now and I apparently missed that part on Mike’s previous TR) I had a BAD feeling about this. The weather was PERFECT – sunny and a high of 71 - that would surely bring out the masses early and in full force.

(Don't forget you can right click on the pics and select view image for a better view)

The crowd before they opened the gates

Fountain decorated for Fright Fest - the water looked pretty orange but got darker as the day went on.

Upon entering I immediately got us a FP. I suggested we shake it up a little and do the Nitro side first. Mike suggested we ride Sky Screamer as we were passing it since he had only ridden it once and we had the FP so we may as well take advantage of it. I put it in the FP and it was ready immediately. Took a nice ride with some AC/DC playing in the background.

Sky Screamer

We then headed to Nitro. Again, no wait on the FP or even for the coaster at all. We rode twice (back row, naturally). She was riding a little rougher than normal at spots but was still a great ride, especially with the trees all around her in fall colors. The only problem is the sadness I get now when I look over and see the Batman and Robin Chiller sign laying in the graveyard – thanks for pointing that out Kyle and making me want to cry every time we climb that first hill! LOL!

Nitro in the fall

Then took a spin on Batman:TR and on the corkscrew the force of positive G’s was so strong I felt it through my legs into my feet! That was crazy – never felt that before. My feet were tingling!

Batman

At this point my ankle was already hurting badly so I took some Tylenol w/ codeine, hoping that would ease the pain a bit. It was going to be a rough day for walking.

Headed to Skull Mountain and they had it nice and dark with some added Halloween glowing/flashing items – it was a good ride. There was a guy behind us that made me laugh hysterically the entire time – started screaming “Holy sh*t! This is awesome!” and similar phrases the entire ride. Reminded me of Paul when he rides in the back row of Great Bear. Very entertaining. ;~) We then started to make our way to the other side. We passed the Buccaneer with no line so I said, let’s go on! We haven’t been on it in forever and I like the pirate ship rides. This one would be different. That was the absolute worst pirate ship ride I have ever been on. It wasn’t always like that – used to be pretty good. I don’t know when it started to slow down but when rolling over the wheel going from each side, which is supposed to speed it up and take it up higher, it was actually slowing the ride down. Never riding that one again. Pathetic.

GL was first on our list on the other side. As we were walking in the FP entrance there was a supervisor named Matt there. He asked us how our day was, engaged in some small talk and said he would be walking around all day if we needed anything. Super nice guy. Actually everyone there was incredibly nice today. So much so I thought there must be some sort of contest going on. I have never seen so many employees with smiles on their faces, asking us how our day was going, asking if we needed any help and wishing us a great day. While I’ve never had a problem there this season with disgruntled employees, seeing them this happy was strange. Perhaps they put something in the water, LOL.

Loop on GL

Only had to wait about 5 minutes for the front row and it was a really good ride – the best all season IMO. The lines were starting to build at this point and it was only around 1 pm.

Superman already had a 3+ hour wait and they were only running one train.

Next up was ET - it had about a 30 minute wait on the FP when we put it in and we were ready to ride by the time we got there. Took the obligatory last row and had an awesome ride.

I was trying to get that train above the sign but trains and pictures were not cooperating with me today!

Put KK in next and that had a 45 minute wait on the FP – it was starting to get pretty crowded (it was around 2:30 pm). Went over to Medusa, thinking it would be a walk-on and she had a bit of a line – most I had seen all year. Only about a 15-20 minute wait though – went down the stairs and out a little. Had a ride in the back and the sound was on but playing very low so that was a beautiful thing! Mike and I both poached another ride, he jumping in the third to last row and I jumping in his old seat, last row on the right. Another good ride. SO glad she’s staying. It’s the only ride I ever get a “wee” on coming out of a loop!

See, her REAL name is still there!

On a side note: Kyle, where do you take that picture of KK through Medusa? I couldn’t find the spot anywhere! The only place it looked to be possible was at the end of the ride while still sitting on the track (and I couldn’t get my cell phone out before we started moving). It was driving me crazy! I love that shot and wanted to get it so bad but it wasn’t to be.

We then went to KK and the line was the longest I’ve seen since the year it opened! Came out of the queue and went back all the way past the souvenir hut.

Line for KK around 3:30 pm

We put KK again in the FP once we got there to have a second ride – it was now a 1 hr 30 min wait at that time on the FP. Compared to the 3+ hour wait in real life, not that bad I suppose. Waited about 20 min for the front row and when we got back we were both able to poach another ride – I was in the 3rd row, Mike in the 4th. Consecutive rides on KK was a treat, especially considering the lines. After the horrible last few weeks I’ve been having that launch was therapeutic!

Love the reflection in this shot

We took a break and got a bite to eat (thanks Mike for the early B-day dinner!) and headed back to KK. We discussed doing Nitro and then heading back but my ankle would never make it if I had to go back and forth that far – it was pretty bad at this point despite all the pain meds I was taking. When we were approaching the FP entrance Matt (that happy supervisor we met at GL) was there and was talking to us again. He said that today had the highest attendance all year. He was saying that usually happens on the 3rd Sat of October and that Fridays and Sundays are the best days to go to Fright Fest. He was also talking about how slow the ride ops were now-a-days and when he did it their crews were lightning fast! He was so nice. He was mingling with the GP and making sure everyone was as happy as they could possible be on a day with insane crowds. Took our next ride on KK, in the front row, and I was able to poach a second row seat on the next ride, Mike was out of luck this time but I was in heaven! :~)

We put ET in the FP and the wait was 2 hours! We couldn’t ride until 6:30 pm. We walked by Runaway train, which had a decent line and the drained Log Flume.

It looks so sad when it's drained!

I stopped by the smoking area by Medusa with all the benches to get my foot up. Mike went to do recon and see how bad Medusa’s line was. He came back and said it was ridiculous. I sat with my ankle elevated for about a half hour. I couldn’t take doing nothing anymore so I decided to take a look and see how bad the line was. Insane!

Line for Medusa/Bizarro - I don't think it was that long the year it opened. The line continued around and went to the main path

We started to head over to ET and the line wrapped around and went at least halfway down the path at the back of the coaster! Another 3+ hour wait.

Line for ET

and here it continues around the back

While we were waiting we decided to check out the line for Rolling Thunder. The left track had a sizable line (for RT, that is) but not so bad on the right so we got on. They were actually racing them all day! It was nice to see. We dispatched fairly close with the other side but arrived at the station a lot faster, proving my theory that the right track is the better one.

RT actually racing and a train on top of KK as a bonus!

Went and took our ride on ET, last row and it was running super-fast and another great ride.

ET at sunset

Our last ride would be on Nitro and an awesome one it was. It was getting a bit chilly but a little chill on a Nitro night ride is not only expected but cherished. I love ending the night with Nitro!

Ferris Wheel lit up

It was around 8:15 pm and we decided to leave the park to try and beat some of the traffic. Saying that parking lot was full would be an understatement. On the way out I saw someone wearing bunny ears with flashing lights and I HAD to have them! Only $5, not bad. With my flashing bunny ears on like a 12 year old (and proud of it! LOL) Mike and I parted in the parking lot.

Bunny ears!

I got out pretty easily – not too many people leaving. Once on Route 537 the line of cars trying to get in went all the way back to the 195 ramps! It was 8:30 pm and the park closed at 11 – there was NO WAY those people were getting in and if they did there would be nothing they could ride – everything was at least a 2 – 4 hour wait. I cannot remember the last time I saw the place that crowded. I remember when I was little we would wait in a line of cars getting into the park and in the 80’s and 90’s there were long lines, mostly because there wasn’t much to ride, but to have 2-4 hour waits on ALL of the major coasters, plus the same for all of the haunted attractions was unreal. I would love to know the attendance numbers.

Line to get into the haunted attraction Wasteland by Nitro/rapids. That line continued around past the food stands on the right

I have to say that even with that HUGE crowd all of the employees were spectacular, always keeping a smile on their face, wishing us a nice day and didn’t seem at all to be ticked off and never acted like they didn’t want to be there. We got lucky that we were able to get so much done before the FP wait times got enormous (and it was still a hell of a lot shorter than the actual wait). I had a great time, despite the pain, and I’m glad my last full day at SFGadv for the season ended on such a good note. Thank God for pain meds and Flash Passes! :-)

Jen

* This post was modified at 10/21/12 2:18:10 PM *

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/21/12 4:11:30 PM
Coupla additional comments:

Best ride I've had on Green Lantern since its old Kentucky home.

El Toro became ThighCrush for the day. But when my thighs go UP to be crushed, rather than BEING crushed by a bar coming DOWN on them...that's a good thing.

I still like SkyScreamer WAYYY better than Windseeker.

Jen may have jumped a Ka ride on me, but I rode Blackbeard..nyah nah na NAH na!

After dark hit I saw a grand total of ONE scare actor roaming the park. Granted, we avoided some areas to save wear and tear on Jen's ankle and my feet.

Jen mentioned her pre-birthday meal. Reciprocal Thanks to HER for the post-birthday FlashPass present. They were still doing the Passholder discount at Yum Yum, where we ate, and Granny's, so that saved some $.

That pic of Jen in the light-up bunny ears looks a helluva lot better on here than when I took it last night...on about my SEVENTH try. My first ever picture posted on URC...such a proud moment..sniff, sniff.

As we crested the first hill on nighttime Nitro ride, I thought of a Neil Young tune..especially the "Into The Black" part.

I'll just echo what Jen said about crowds. These were the largest crowds and longest lines I've ever seen at the park in the "modern era" of GAdv, which I define as post- Nitro, Medusa, Toro, Ka. There were often three hour lines in the 70's and 80's, especially on a summer Saturday for the log flume and raft ride. But nothing like this. Cars were parked all over the lot, and I mean ALL OVER..lined spaces be damned. Blocking lanes, pathways, other cars. Insane. And think about the money..EVERY person on the packed lines for the Haunt attractions paid an upcharge of some sort for that privilege. The line for Johnny Rockets was to the fountain. I'll be there next Sunday for closing day, but I'll expect nothing like this.

I made use, as always, of the Coke Freestyle store, as my new favorites are Orange and Fruit Punch flavored Minute Maid Light Lemonade. Alas, only one more week of them, as I've certainly never seen them on store shelves.

All of yesterday's coaster rides were terrific, save for Rolling Thunder, which felt pretty fast but was merely okay. At least the wait wasn't three hours plus.

That's about all I got for now.

Mike

* This post was modified at 10/21/12 5:03:24 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 10/21/12 6:14:16 PM
Wow!!!, that is scary!!, I've rearely seen lines that long. I'm guessing that Flashpass lines were as long as a normal line that day,lol.
Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by alpengeistno3 at 10/21/12 8:43:59 PM
Crazy day guys. Kings Dominion was about as crowded last Saturday when I went with ACE. Full queue for Dominator, I-305 back to the entrance tunnel, Shockwave spilling out into the midway. Reports from Busch Gardens facebook page indicate they have had to close due to capacity at 4:00.

I don't want to hear any one say this country is in such a crippling recession because the amusement parks seem to be raking it in this Halloween season.

Hope Gradv won't be as crowded on the last Sunday next week because I ain't springing for no stinkin' Flash Pass!!

Paul

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 10/22/12 8:58:38 AM
Great TR and those crowds do look scary! How was the park dealing with them? You mentionned S:UF running one, but were any other major ones running a single train?

I won't make it back to SFGADV this year, but I will be there for the new safari ride media day next year. I hope your ankle surgery goes well Jen.

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/22/12 9:11:14 AM
Absimilliard said:

Great TR and those crowds do look scary! How was the park dealing with them? You mentionned S:UF running one, but were any other major ones running a single train?

I won't make it back to SFGADV this year, but I will be there for the new safari ride media day next year. I hope your ankle surgery goes well Jen.

All of the other coasters were running at full capacity. S:UF was only running one train when I was there at the end of Sept. too - must have sent the other train out for repairs or something - it wasn't in the hangar either (when I was there in Sept anyway - couldn't see it from where we were on Sat). The park actually did a good job - was very well staffed and everyone was quite pleasant. They were doing the best they could. Those crowds were crazy - even the line for the Round-up was spilling out on the main path!

Thanks Marc for the well wishes! I hope I'm back at full capacity by the time next season rolls around!

Jen

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/22/12 9:15:03 AM
^^Lantern, Nitro and Ka were all running three.. Toro two. Rolling Thunder all four, and racing, a Jen noted. Only one train on Blackbeard. Oh wait...

*EDIT*...Sorry. She snuck in while my comp froze for about 5 minutes :(

* This post was modified at 10/22/12 9:31:30 AM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/23/12 12:13:16 AM
I've missed out on a lot since 2008, but what happened to Ka's 4th train?

Great TR Jen, loved the pics.

* This post was modified at 10/23/12 12:14:17 AM *

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/23/12 2:44:56 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Thanks - I kept saying I've never taken so many pics of lines and I can't believe I'm trying to get great angles (standing on benches, etc) to try and get the full atmosphere of the enormous crowds. It was surreal. That we got so many rides in (17 total) was actually amazing with how that day turned out.

On KK they only use one side of the station to load now - similar to TTD except they only use one loading station instead of two. The ride ops are super fast so the launches are still mostly at the same pace. It does make the line seem longer than it actually is - it moves fast but not fast enough for the line that we saw, that's for sure!

Jen

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by alpengeistno3 at 10/23/12 11:09:58 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

To piggy back on Jen's answer, it is a staffing issue. 3 trains through one station requires half the staff that the additional train through 2 stations used. It probably does not affect capacity that much since they can only cycle the trains as fast as the launch system can reset. When running 4 trains, they routinely had to wait for the 2nd train to return to the other side before they could send out the next set of 2. The extra staff required was providing little to no boost to the efficiency of the ride. Maybe the capacity appeared slightly better because you could always slip into the back of the station that was least crowded and catch a short front seat line whereas with only one station, the whole thing is crowded.

I don't even think the 4th train is on site (I can't be for sure because we only rode twice when I went and I didn't get a chance to look around for it.) It may have already been gutted for parts.

Paul

* This post was modified at 10/23/12 11:11:23 PM *

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/24/12 12:13:51 AM
Hem, makes sense. I guess the dual loading station was more to split up the crowds (which is a nice idea, which should've applied more for GL and SUF) rather than to add any capacity. Just like with cheetah hunt, I almost always take the 2nd train because most of the people are headed for the 1st train.

It makes sense if they just use one side and keep the 4th as a spare.

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/24/12 2:03:33 PM
Great TR and photos Jen. That's insane of how many people were there. I have come to terms that parks are going to be crowded for the Halloween season, but that is just ridiculous. At least you guys had flash passes and were able to salvage the day. Does Six Flags Great Adventure have a full capacity policy like Busch Gardens does, or do they let an unlimited number of people in?
Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/24/12 9:15:22 PM
frontrow said:

Great TR and photos Jen. That's insane of how many people were there. I have come to terms that parks are going to be crowded for the Halloween season, but that is just ridiculous. At least you guys had flash passes and were able to salvage the day. Does Six Flags Great Adventure have a full capacity policy like Busch Gardens does, or do they let an unlimited number of people in?

We were wondering the same thing. I think there has to be a capacity cut off for safety reasons but I have no idea what that is. If anyone has a clue I'd love to know.

Jen

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by alpengeistno3 at 10/24/12 9:28:08 PM
I had heard that Busch's capacity cut off was merely the number of parking spaces available on property. When they built the new tollgates, they gave up a pretty significant number of them in what is now the Ireland lot. (Plus they reserve all the ones in France for "preferred parking" and England for buses. Figure that in, they only have 3 parking lots on the main property and the big one across Rt 60. The only days I have been there and the park was said to be "at capacity" was on 4th of July weekend (I believe the holiday fell on a Saturday and Busch promoted the heck out of the firework display back in 1996-1998). I don't know how many spaces they have now, but the way they utilize them makes running out a very real possibility, especially for something like Halloscream which encourages people to come to the park and stay later.

Paul

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/24/12 10:09:47 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

I had heard that Busch's capacity cut off was merely the number of parking spaces available on property. When they built the new tollgates, they gave up a pretty significant number of them in what is now the Ireland lot. (Plus they reserve all the ones in France for "preferred parking" and England for buses. Figure that in, they only have 3 parking lots on the main property and the big one across Rt 60. The only days I have been there and the park was said to be "at capacity" was on 4th of July weekend (I believe the holiday fell on a Saturday and Busch promoted the heck out of the firework display back in 1996-1998). I don't know how many spaces they have now, but the way they utilize them makes running out a very real possibility, especially for something like Halloscream which encourages people to come to the park and stay later.

Paul

Interesting....

I just e-mailed the park so lets see if they respond (they've been pretty good about that this year).

Has anyone ever seen any other major park, besides BGE (or BGW - so used to calling it Europe), close d/t capacity?

Jen

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/25/12 11:39:43 AM
I guess we'll never know - here's part of the e-mail response I received:

On October 20th, both the Park and Parking lot were exceptionally crowded. Be assured the Park’s attendance was well below our pre-determined safe capacity. Great Adventure does not release the daily park attendance or what the capacity of the park is. Our Rides, Foods, Admissions, and Entertainment teams work diligently to move their lines as quickly and safely as possible. At some point, the number of Guests wanting to enjoy a ride or attraction exceeds the maximum theoretical throughput of that location, causing lines. For example most roller coasters have a maximum hourly throughput of between 900 and 1200 Guests. Demand for these thrill rides is high especially, Kingda Ka and El Toro.

The rest of the e-mail was pretty much apologizing for the inconvenience, etc. They do respond to e-mails quickly, that much I'll give them.

Jen

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by augustus35 augustus35 Profile at 10/25/12 12:33:20 PM
We were thinking the same thing. I think there has to be a potential cut off for protection factors but I have no concept what that is. If anyone has a concept I'd really like to know.
Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by alpengeistno3 at 10/25/12 8:47:19 PM
GoYanks34 said:

I guess we'll never know - here's part of the e-mail response I received:

On October 20th, both the Park and Parking lot were exceptionally crowded. Be assured the Park’s attendance was well below our pre-determined safe capacity. Great Adventure does not release the daily park attendance or what the capacity of the park is. Our Rides, Foods, Admissions, and Entertainment teams work diligently to move their lines as quickly and safely as possible. At some point, the number of Guests wanting to enjoy a ride or attraction exceeds the maximum theoretical throughput of that location, causing lines. For example most roller coasters have a maximum hourly throughput of between 900 and 1200 Guests. Demand for these thrill rides is high especially, Kingda Ka and El Toro.

The rest of the e-mail was pretty much apologizing for the inconvenience, etc. They do respond to e-mails quickly, that much I'll give them.

Jen

I'm impressed you got a response at all. Busch has been leaving such questions on their on Facebook site unanswered (who knows if they may have got back to the person in a less public way). They still didn't answer your question, but at least they gave you something. How did you phrase you email to keep them from just shutting you out?

I needed a day to think about your previous question. At first, I couldn't think of any other parks that have shut down for capacity. Now that I think of it, didn't Universal have to regularly close the gates when Harry Potter debuted? I also believe the Disney Parks in Hong Kong and France had capacity issues when the 1st open (Hong Kong causing riots when they had to close the gates, IIRC). Maybe Magic Kingdom here in the US has had to close before Disney became the massive entertainment complex it is today, but I do think I have heard of some Christmas and Spring break days when the smaller parks like MGM and AK had to close the gates due to capacity.

Paul

* This post was modified at 10/25/12 8:48:39 PM *

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/25/12 10:09:22 PM
They have been really good at answering e-mails - I even got a phone call once in response. Here's what I wrote and their entire response:

My friend and I were at the park last Saturday and the crowds were enormous We were there since opening and were able to get in the rides we wanted but we have a question: Does Great Adventure have a capacity cutoff and if so what is it? I know some other parks do but I honestly can't remember anyone ever being turned away and I've been going to the park since it opened as a baby. Also, I don't know if this is public information or not, but what was the attendance on 10/20? Just curious. Thanks!

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for your recent email regarding your visit to Six Flags Great Adventure. On behalf of the entire Six Flags management team, please accept my apologies for a visit that was less enjoyable than you expected. I hope that you will not allow this experience to diminish your overall impression of Six Flags. You can be assured that all of your comments have been shared with the appropriate Six Flags management for their review. Furthermore, I want to address the concern that you had.

We are dedicated to providing outstanding service in a safe, clean, family-friendly atmosphere this includes making every effort to provide an exceptional ride and entertainment package, and it is not acceptable to us that you found the park otherwise. The month of October is a very popular time at the park because of our Halloween event Fright Fest. Our more popular rides tend to fill up quickly, especially during Fright Fest and due to the additional entertainment and attractions, the midways tend to get busier during this month long celebration.

As for the Parking Lot, our Toll Plaza attendants work hard in order to maximize the efficiency of cars moving through the toll. Often they complete two to three transactions a minute, per gate. We do our best to safely direct Guests in the Parking Lot, but will never jeopardize our Team Members’ or Guests’ safety should someone not follow these instructions.

On exiting the Parking Lot, most Guests take County Route 537 East towards Interstate-195. Unfortunately, there is only one lane for 195 East towards the Garden State Parkway and Shore Points and one for 195 West towards the New Jersey Turnpike and Trenton. This traffic pattern combined with the volume of cars exiting at one time causes traffic to cascade back into the parking lot creating congestion and delays. This is not at all dissimilar to exiting traffic at a sports venue.

Thank you for taking the time to write; again I apologize for your inconvenience. Thank you for your patronage of Six Flags Great Adventure, Hurricane Harbor and Wild Safari. We look forward to seeing you in the park again soon.

Sincerely,

Mary

Six Flags Great Adventure Guest Relations

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/26/12 12:09:46 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

I'm impressed you got a response at all. Busch has been leaving such questions on their on Facebook site unanswered (who knows if they may have got back to the person in a less public way). They still didn't answer your question, but at least they gave you something. How did you phrase you email to keep them from just shutting you out?

I needed a day to think about your previous question. At first, I couldn't think of any other parks that have shut down for capacity. Now that I think of it, didn't Universal have to regularly close the gates when Harry Potter debuted? I also believe the Disney Parks in Hong Kong and France had capacity issues when the 1st open (Hong Kong causing riots when they had to close the gates, IIRC). Maybe Magic Kingdom here in the US has had to close before Disney became the massive entertainment complex it is today, but I do think I have heard of some Christmas and Spring break days when the smaller parks like MGM and AK had to close the gates due to capacity.

Paul

I remember when the HP island opened they issued passes to people entering the fork b/w Dr Seuss and Marvel to direct them to the line on either the JP or Lost Continent section. Some days they kept switching the sides requiring me to have to cross the bridge to reach one side of section (they didn't have people waiting at the fork and you were kinda taking chances picking one side or the other). Another time (all this happened in the same 2 week period I was there) they had the line to the HP island stretching nearly at the entrance to the JP island from the Toon Lagoon side.

It was just a mad house with how packed it was when I was finally able to get in. It was only by a guy who rode with me for the day that he pointed out the single rider line for the HP forbidden journey ride, otherwise I would've been too put off by the long lines for it. The year after, things seemed to calm down enough where they didn't have to force people to wait outside and can enter whenever they want.

* This post was modified at 10/26/12 12:20:04 AM *

Re: 499,999,999 people at Six Flags Great Adventure 10/20/12! by alpengeistno3 at 10/29/12 9:07:02 AM
Jen,
SFA apparently closed Saturday due to capacity. I was in the park, so I can't tell you what time, but when I left, there were "construction-style" signs flashing "Sold Out, Park Closed". Superman had a 1 hr line at 9:00 (park closed at 10:00), Joker's Jinx was about the same. Wild One and Roar were going down the entrance ramps (Roar actually being the quicker of the 2 since there is no cattle pen at the top like WO's) The haunted houses/paths had a reported 45 min wait, despite requiring the extra fee and the midways were JAM PACKED! They had plenty of ghouls out walking the paths, but when they would scare people, the victims would run blindly through the crowd bumping and potentially knocking people over (I'm too big to get knocked over by a 90 lb girl, but I did have to shake quite a few off.)

I'm sure the parking was the deciding factor as to when to cut it off. The parking lots were jam packed, it took an hour of sitting there talking to my friend before we noticed any kind of consistent movement.

Just another example of a park that closed its gates during this Halloween season.

Paul