Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Kings Island or Kings Dominion

Kings Island or Kings Dominion

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
10/14/12 at
7:45:37 PM

This coming Sunday I am planning on visiting Kings Island or Kings Dominion. I have enough money in our coaster fund to do a day trip. The kids have never been to Kings Island, and were less than 54 inches tall when we visited Kings Dominion, so they didn't get to ride I305, Volcano, Dominator, etc. Of coarse the weather forecast will play a huge role in my decision, but I'm wondering what kind of crowds should I expect. I know Paul is at Kings Dominion often, and Roblec is at Kings Island regularly. I have never visited either park during this time of year. All responses will be appreciated.

Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/14/12 8:30:24 PM
I would of course recommend KI (natch) though I would be unable to meet up with you. My wife and I did most of the attractions at the Haunt a couple weeks ago, because it just happened that the weather was beautiful and the crowds light on a Friday night. I've never done Halloween at KD but I'm sure theirs is good as well. How old are your kids BTW? Whatever you end up doing, have a great time!
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/14/12 10:07:28 PM
I highly recommend Kings Dominion over Kings Island.I just did Kings Dominion two Saturdays ago and it was an awesome day at the park.The crowds were very light during the day so most of the rides were walk ons up until like 3 or 4 in the afternoon.Just be sure to ride Volcano and Flight of Fear before they turn into haunted attractions at night and they close the actual ride down.Save I-305 for a night ride and your kids will be amazed!! It blew my friend away and she was so physched after riding it!! By far the best steel coaster experience she has ever had.My top steel coaster in my top ten also!! This is an awsome park at night for the haunt also.I think they do a great job and it is an awesome atmosphere!!
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/14/12 10:17:50 PM
I've only been to Haunt at KD once, on a Saturday a few years back. I almost literally could not walk at times due to the density of the crowd in certain areas.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by alpengeistno3 at 10/14/12 10:25:49 PM
frontrow said:

This coming Sunday I am planning on visiting Kings Island or Kings Dominion. I have enough money in our coaster fund to do a day trip. The kids have never been to Kings Island, and were less than 54 inches tall when we visited Kings Dominion, so they didn't get to ride I305, Volcano, Dominator, etc. Of coarse the weather forecast will play a huge role in my decision, but I'm wondering what kind of crowds should I expect. I know Paul is at Kings Dominion often, and Roblec is at Kings Island regularly. I have never visited either park during this time of year. All responses will be appreciated.

I won't get into which park is better as I have only been to Kings Island once long before Diamondback was put in. KD on a Sunday should not give you any problems crowdwise. I just came from there this past Saturday and the place was mobbed like the Taft days (Shockwave's line spilling out into the midway?!?!)

Note: KD does close FOF early for use as a haunted attraction for Haunt, so you need to ride that early if you are going to. I believe they close the line at 4:00. I don't recall Volcano being closed (with as busy as yesterday was, I avoided that section of the Congo like it was on fire.) Hurler did not open at all this Saturday. Don't know whether that was mechanical or they decided to just go ahead and shut it down since Club Blood is located inside the 2nd turn for Haunt. Also, Kidville closes for Haunt as well, so if you want to ride Ghoster Coaster or take the kids on anything there, you have to do it before 6:00.

Hope all that helps with your decision.
Paul

Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/15/12 6:59:36 AM
Yeah Volcano closes now also because of a new haunt in that area.
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/15/12 10:28:52 PM
Thanks for all the responses. We are leaning towards Kings Dominion. All the info has been greatly appriecated.
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/19/12 3:25:24 PM
Just bought our Kings Dominion tickets today online. We will be at Kings Dominion this Sunday. If anyone wants to meet up, let me know. Now my question is does Dominator and Volcano have big boy seats. My last visit was in 2010, and I was 50lbs. less, so it wasn't an issue then. I'm sure I'll fit on I305 and everything else. I just have trouble with those over the shoulder restraints. I usually fit, but I'm in so tight, It's very uncomfortable. All responses will be appreciated.
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/19/12 4:32:22 PM
frontrow said:

Just bought our Kings Dominion tickets today online. We will be at Kings Dominion this Sunday. If anyone wants to meet up, let me know. Now my question is does Dominator and Volcano have big boy seats. My last visit was in 2010, and I was 50lbs. less, so it wasn't an issue then. I'm sure I'll fit on I305 and everything else. I just have trouble with those over the shoulder restraints. I usually fit, but I'm in so tight, It's very uncomfortable. All responses will be appreciated.

You saw how heavy I am, although shorter than you. You carry your weight better than me. But I have no trouble in any seat on either ride. Incidentally, remember, Dominator opens with the gate, other coasters a half-hour later. That's during regular season hours, anyway. I didn't check current opening times. Have a blast! Jen and I will be at GAdv tomorrow. I think it's her last visit this season, my penultimate one..I'll be there closing day next Sunday, after a probable late night at Dorney Saturday. Boy, am I gonna be wiped that Monday at work!

Mike

* This post was modified at 10/19/12 4:44:54 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/19/12 5:42:35 PM
Hey Ken....just wanted to remind you to do all the rides in the congo section before the haunt starts. Don't wanna miss The Crypt! probably the best Top Spin ride in the country! Also Flight Of Fear closes for the haunt also so make sure you get on that also! I seen a few people who had to take the walk of shame on Volcano but hopefully you will be able to ride it with no problem.Still on my top ten steel list!! I am heading to SFNE and Lake Compounce this weekend! Bizarro at night!,Boulder Dash at night!,and the best haunted attraction I have ever been to.The Haunted Graveyard is awesome!! Have a great weekend!!
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by pyl-driver pyl-driver Profile at 10/19/12 5:56:05 PM
Kings Island best park for kids, Kings Dominion maybe better for the thrills.
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/19/12 6:41:27 PM
I actually prefer Kings Island to Kings Dominion. I really like both of them but for some reason (*cough* awesome drop tower *cough*) I like KI better. Although many on these boards love the Drop Tower at KD I found it rather boring. I 305 really doesn't do much for me, FOF & Stunt Coaster are at KI as well. That leaves the others for comparison. Love Diamondback (and yes, I will take that over I 305), Vortex beats Anaconda hands down, Beast slays both Hurler and Grizzly (HATED Grizzly), Firehawk was probably my favorite flyer I've been on (although have no desire to ride any flyer again), KD wins for Rebel Yell over Racer, and Volcano beats Vertigo (although I like Vertigo) and KI wins hands down for the Drop tower and they have the Huss Frisbee, which is awesome. I like the atmosphere of KI better as well. That's just my 2 cents. :~)

Have fun!

Jen

Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/19/12 6:44:17 PM
beastmaster said:

Jen and I will be at GAdv tomorrow. I think it's her last visit this season, my penultimate one..I'll be there closing day next Sunday,
Mike

I'm probably going to take a last launch next Sunday morning and that will be it. :~(

Winter sucks....

Jen

Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/19/12 6:55:53 PM
Thanks for all responses guys. We'll be sure to hit Dominator, I305, Flight of Fear, Volcano, and The Crypt early. Coaster Dan informed me there is a big boy seat on Dominator, but not on Volcano. I have been fitting on Intamin and B&M coaster with over the shoulder restraints, but It's been really tight. I would rather sit in the big boy seat and be comfortable. It didn't make a difference to me if we visited Kings Island or Kings Dominion, so I left it up to the kids. This is probably our last park visit of the season.
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/19/12 7:44:35 PM
You made the best choice Ken!! Kings Dominion is right up there on my top ten park list!!
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/19/12 8:00:59 PM
chitlins73 said:

You made the best choice Ken!! Kings Dominion is right up there on my top ten park list!!

Been to both places multiple times, and nothing new has been added since my last visits. We are planning on staying from open to close. If we do decide to do a haunted attraction, which one do you think is the best?

Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/19/12 11:17:16 PM
I only got to do one haunt.I did No Vacancy and it was pretty good.The lines will not be as bad on a Sunday night.Oh yeah...don't forget night rides on Grizzly!! I actually save that and I-305 for my night rides.Grizzly is a great night ride!!
Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/20/12 8:18:08 AM
GoYanks34 said:
I actually prefer Kings Island to Kings Dominion. I really like both of them but for some reason (*cough* awesome drop tower *cough*) I like KI better... I like the atmosphere of KI better as well. That's just my 2 cents. :~)

+1 (or +.02$)

Re: Kings Island or Kings Dominion by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 10/21/12 6:08:41 PM
Kings Dominion is one of my two home parks. Kings Island was really nice, and I loved Diamondback. The Dominator at Kings Dominion is also pretty good. It all depends on what you haven't rode before.

If Kings Island has more rides that are similar to rides that you have rode, then go to Kings Dominion. If Kings Dominion has more rides that are similar to what you have rode before, then go to Kings Island. That way, you will have an amazing experience.