Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13

Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
10/14/12 at
6:24:12 PM

I took my brother-in-law to Great Adventure for the first time on Saturday. We had a nice morning, but the crowd soon turned very ugly. By 2PM, there were no more rides to be had.

I won't do a full TR or review, due to time and the fact that I've been to this park numerous times. Perhaps I'll do a full review at some point this off season.

Instead, here are some quick thoughts, bullet point format.

- Went straight to El Toro. Closed. Headed to Kingda Ka (the long way - thanks to the haunts) Closed.

- Ka was down due to a malfuntioning PA system. Really? Ride finally opened at 12pm... without the PA system. The kid was using a bullhorn. Could they not have thought of that at 10 AM?

- There are too many dead ends at Great Adventure.

- Got rides on Green Lantern, Edwards AFB Parachutes, El Toro (x2), Bizarro, Skyride, Nitro, Skull Mountain, Sky Screamer, Kingda Ka.

- Shortest wait - Bizarro, which was a walk-on in the morning.

- Longest wait - Kingda Ka, which was a little over 90 minutes. I wouldn't have waited if I wasn't with a first-timer.

- I'm actually glad I waited. Got a second row ride, and it was quite intense.

- El Toro is the best roller coaster in the country, especially on the right side. Six years after it opened, it still runs like a bat out of hell - something I didn't think would happen at Six Flags.

- Always ride Nitro before El Toro. Maybe it was the cool air, but Nitro felt sluggish today.

- Funniest thing I heard all day: the constant use of the term "crotch strap" on Sky Screamer. I chuckled each time.

- The newer 3-D Parallax before Green Lantern's first loop looks awesome.

- Green Lantern is a really good ride. Very fun, and very good use of the single rider line.

- Nitro, Superman, and Kingda Ka desperately need paint jobs.

- Nitro: How can such a great ride look so ghetto? The ride, station, queue look like complete garbage.

- Kingda Ka Questions
1) Why do they no longer use the other side of the station?
2) Why do they not use all four trains?
3) Why are there only two seats on the last car?
4) Why is the longest queue in the park also the most boring?

- I love a good Nathan's Frankfurter, even when I'm not at Coney Island.

- I don't like coaster train wraps, but the Scion El Toro wrap is pretty cool.

- Sky Screamer - pretty fun, with minimal seats. Bad capacity. Give me the Windseeker (only if it won't strand me).

- All the Snicker's ads had me ready to buy one. But I'm sorry. I can't justify $2.50 for a candy bar.

- I've ridden Diamondback, Raging Bull, Apollo's Chariot, and Nitro - all within a two month period. I hate to say it, but after today's ride, Nitro sits at #4.

* This post was modified at 1/16/13 10:13:34 AM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/14/12 8:21:33 PM
I remember a time when I went to parks in September and October in order to avoid crowds. Now everyone seems to go at this time of the year. Two friends of mine went to Kennywood last night and complained how packed it was. Anyway, back to your report. I totally agree about El Toro. That's my all time favorite coaster. Six Flags Great Adventure is 5 1/2 hours away, so I only get to visit every 2 to 3 years. I also think Nitro needs a cosmetic makeover. I love that coaster, and I think SF Great Adventure does a great job with park appearance, but that's unacceptable how Nitro looks. Well at least you did get some riding in. It would have been a better day, if all the coasters were open when the park opened.
Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/14/12 10:13:42 PM
drachen said:

- I don't like coaster train wraps, but the Scion El Toro wrap is pretty cool.

Unless they've changed it since last Saturday, it's not Scion. It's Kia Soul. Hence my calling it the Soul Train in previous posts.

You said Toro was not open early. Any idea what time it DID open?

Sounds like you didn't do any Haunt stuff. Correct?

Thanks for the "report"..yours are always entertaining, informative, and fun to read.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by drachen drachen Profile at 10/15/12 10:57:22 AM
frontrow said:

I remember a time when I went to parks in September and October in order to avoid crowds. Now everyone seems to go at this time of the year.

Over the past 10 years or so, park's have noticed a great opportunity to pull in bonus revenue in the shoulder seasons. First it was Christmas. Now Halloween is the big one. The public loves Halloween, so they eat it right up. It's not uncommon to find that a given Fall Saturday is busier than most summer ones.

The good days to go in the fall are Friday evenings.

frontrow said:

I also think Nitro needs a cosmetic makeover. I love that coaster, and I think SF Great Adventure does a great job with park appearance, but that's unacceptable how Nitro looks. Well at least you did get some riding in. It would have been a better day, if all the coasters were open when the park opened.

Nitro looks disgusting. Paint is either faded or peeling away. If it weren't for its size and curves, I'd say it looks completely unappealing.

It can cost as much as $300K to re-paint a roller coaster. Some parks choose to stay on top of it. Others, like Great Adventure, don't.

I can't really complain about the number of rides we got in. We rode the Big 5. I would only have liked to have ridden Nitro anther time or two. Had Ka been open right away, we probably could have.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 10/15/12 6:27:51 PM
Kingda Ka and Nitro are in desperate need of a paint-job's. Kingda Ka's queue can be boring, but watching the ride builds suspense, especially when you get to the gates and see it launch up close. Kingda Ka, and Xcelerator at Knott's are my two favorite Intiman Coasters. The last time I went, the Green Lantern's line was very long, I've never been to Kentucky Kingdom, but I heard the line wait was nothing for Chang. I thought Superman was pretty intresting. Is sure do miss Great American Scream Machine though, and am sad they scrapped it. Nice TR btw!!

* This post was modified at 10/15/12 6:30:31 PM *

Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by tbrown747 at 10/18/12 1:18:48 PM
drachen said:

- Always ride Nitro before El Toro. Maybe it was the cool air, but Nitro felt sluggish today.

We've been noticing Nitro running really really slow since the weather turned. Was actually wondering if anyone else noticed as well. In early fall it seemed to get faster throughout the day, but now with the cold temps it crawls even at 2PM, plenty of time for the lubricants to warm up (I would think).

* This post was modified at 10/18/12 1:21:45 PM *

Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by drachen drachen Profile at 10/18/12 5:15:41 PM
beastmaster said:

Unless they've changed it since last Saturday, it's not Scion. It's Kia Soul. Hence my calling it the Soul Train in previous posts.

You said Toro was not open early. Any idea what time it DID open?

Sounds like you didn't do any Haunt stuff. Correct?

Thanks for the "report"..yours are always entertaining, informative, and fun to read.

Mike

Yeah, you're right. I got my silly-looking cars beginning with 'S' mixed up...

No haunts. I like them, but I won't pay extra for them, or wait very long. We left at 4 PM, before anything was really open anyway.

We thought about heading down to Wildwood to see what their "Terror on the Boardwalk" is all about. But is was a long day already.

El Toro opened around 11 AM - not much of a delay. But enough of one for us to miss the opening as we waited for Ka. Still got two rides in the AM, after only a 10 minute wait or so.

Which reminds me of one my "Quick Thought"...

- I love how you can beat the line on El Toro, Ka, and Nitro. People just naturally line up behind other people. On Toro and Nitro (especially Toro), it leaves the back of the station wide open. On Ka, the it's the front of the train, save the front seat. Now, if only the wait to the stations wasn't so long.

drachen
Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by drachen drachen Profile at 10/18/12 5:36:15 PM
tbrown747 said:

We've been noticing Nitro running really really slow since the weather turned. Was actually wondering if anyone else noticed as well. In early fall it seemed to get faster throughout the day, but now with the cold temps it crawls even at 2PM, plenty of time for the lubricants to warm up (I would think).

I believe it. Last summer, when Green Lantern opened, Nitro was flying. I had the best rides I've ever had that day.

Saturday, it felt like it was just going through the motions. I don't think Raging Bull is a better ride, but having just ridden it 1 1/2 months ago, it felt like it was. My brother-in-law, a Chicago local, said that he felt the same way.

* This post was modified at 1/16/13 10:19:25 AM *

drachen
Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by drachen drachen Profile at 10/18/12 5:41:43 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Is sure do miss Great American Scream Machine though, and am sad they scrapped it. Nice TR btw!!

Thanks, and I agree whole heartily. I really like Green Lantern, but I would rather have seen it gone over by Batman and Nitro, leaving Scream Machine, one of my favorite rides ever, standing for a few more years.

I think, due to Green Lantern's background, there was a very expensive repair on the horizon for GASM, prompting Six Flags to change plans and send Chang to Great Adventure, instead of building it at Great America.

Let's face it, Chang was headed for Great America. It was on site, and they removed Iron Wolf. Instead, they got X-Flight, which I think is the best new ride I've experienced this year.

So long as Great Adventure gets a wing rider soon, I have to say I'm happy with the way things worked out - except of course the removal of Scream Machine.

drachen
Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/18/12 11:47:36 PM
Agreed with everything you stated. There's so much space on the Batman area of the park. I just wonder if that would've meant GASM gets replaced by a winged coaster?
Oh well, I hope nothing needs to be removed if GAdv were to get a winged coaster or some big ride. I hope they put it over on the batman side instead of cramming it in on the El toro side (like removing the flume) or worse those rumors about moving Bizzaro to some other park.

* This post was modified at 10/18/12 11:51:14 PM *

Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/19/12 7:07:12 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:
(like removing the flume)

BLASPHEMY!!!! INCONCEIVABLE!!!!!!!!

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/19/12 2:43:25 PM
lol, I know! But sadly it seems all the other parks in the chain are doing it. That is what I worry if they do remove it, if not Bizarro, just to cram in another coaster on that side as opposed to finding space on the Nitro part of the park.

* This post was modified at 10/19/12 2:44:26 PM *

Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/19/12 6:47:06 PM
Before the rumors start I want to let everyone know they have removed parts of the Log Flume to allow construction equipment to pass through for their new safari thing. They are NOT removing the Log Flume if anyone happens to see that and lets their imagination take over...

Jen (who is still very happy Medusa is staying!)

Re: Quick Hits From Six Flags Great Adventure - 10/13 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/19/12 9:24:06 PM
Good warning. And my post was not meant as that's the plan, but just a guess since all the other flume rides of the chain has been closed down in favor of a coaster. So just speculation on my part.