Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Rockaway Playland's Atom Smasher/Cinerama Film

Rockaway Playland's Atom Smasher/Cinerama Film

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
10/14/12 at
1:45:19 PM

Many of you are familiar, I'm sure, with the film process called Cinerama. Back in 1952, a film was produced called This Is Cinerama. The process was later used in many films, including How The West Was Won.

This Is Cinerama was really a fore-runner to today's Imax screens and the simulators many of us enjoy at parks. The film is a compilation of sequences shot in Cinerama. Why am I posting this on URC?

One of the POV sequences in the movie features the long-gone (1985) Atom Smasher roller coaster at Rockaway Playland in NY. My friend Ellen, who's not a coaster person, rode it when she was growing up in the area, and told me it was a lot of fun. I remember seeing the film in a Cinema 180 attraction on the Seaside Heights and/or Wildwood Boardwalk in the 1970's. It MIGHT even have been at GAdv once upon a time.

The movie is rarely shown these days, but Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will show it on Thursday, 10/18 at 9:45 Eastern. It'll be preceded by a 2002 documentary called Cinerama Adventure, which is about the process.

Mike

* This post was modified at 10/14/12 2:35:39 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Rockaway Playland's Atom Smasher/Cinerama Film by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/21/12 6:12:22 AM
Do Cinerama ever show the full POV of Atom Smasher? I never saw all of the POV footage of Atom Smasher before. This is the most POV footage that I saw on Atom Smasher (0:27 - 0:42 below)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lII5rXbxcCs

* This post was modified at 10/21/12 6:20:21 AM *

Re: Rockaway Playland's Atom Smasher/Cinerama Film by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/21/12 8:27:20 AM
Hey Mike! I happened to see Cinerama Adventure late Thursday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had not read your post so it was by pure chance that I saw it. I do remember hearing a lot about Cinerama as a kid (yes, I'm that old) but never attended one. I thought it was great for TCM to focus on Cinerama that day, and also watched a few of the Hammer films they showed earlier.
Re: Rockaway Playland's Atom Smasher/Cinerama Film by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/21/12 10:11:24 AM
RobLec said:

Hey Mike! I happened to see Cinerama Adventure late Thursday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had not read your post so it was by pure chance that I saw it. I do remember hearing a lot about Cinerama as a kid (yes, I'm that old) but never attended one. I thought it was great for TCM to focus on Cinerama that day, and also watched a few of the Hammer films they showed earlier.

Actually, if you saw it late, you might have seen the actual This Is Cinerama film itself, a trailer for which Chris linked above. Cinerama Adventure was the documentary airing before it, which I'm sure included many clips.

Me? My 48-year old brain forgot all about it. I was looking forward to seeing it. Jen looked it up yesterday..it is available on Blu-Ray.

And Chris, I remember the Atom Smasher POV segment being much longer..don't forget, it was part of a feature-lenghth movie. I had thought it might have been at GAdv in my original post, as I know I saw t at an amusement park But Jen told me yesterday that she saw it at HersheyPark, so that's probably what I was remembering.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Rockaway Playland's Atom Smasher/Cinerama Film by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/21/12 7:49:17 PM
What I actually watched was the documentary, which they re-aired around midnight just before How the West was Won. It consisted about 50/50 of actual Cinerama clips mixed with interviews and behind-the-scenes pics and video clips. They stated that "This is Cinerama" actually opened with the Rockaway coaster POV.

One thing I really like about TNT is being able to watch for free quite a few movies that I probably would love to own on disc but would go broke buying, only to have them collect dust on the shelf and never actually watch them.

Re: Rockaway Playland's Atom Smasher/Cinerama Film by AndyShine at 12/4/12 7:01:01 PM
Yes. The 60th Anniversary "This Is Cinerama" DVD/Blu Ray combo was released recently. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the ATOM SMASHER in simulated 'smilebox' format on my monitor, and Cypress Gardens of course. Worth every penny.

visit: www.rollercoastermedialibrary.com and locate DVD 209 for more information about it.