Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > First B&M Dive Coaster?

First B&M Dive Coaster?

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
10/13/12 at
1:50:45 PM

Was this their first? And was it THE first? It predates Sheikra by five years.

That dive drop looks absolutely SICK!

http://www.rcdb.com/1417.htm?p=9701

Mike, working on a Saturday (highly unusual) and bored (not quite to tears, though.)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/13/12 2:10:05 PM
I believe Oblivion at Alton Towers was their first dive coaster.
Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/13/12 2:17:11 PM
^^^Yup, Oblivion was the first(1998) and Diving Machine G5 was the second(2000).

* This post was modified at 10/13/12 2:20:28 PM *

Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/13/12 2:28:04 PM
Overbanked said:

^^^Yup, Oblivion was the first(1998) and Diving Machine G5 was the second(2000).

Thanks Chris/Ken. I done plumb forgot about Oblivion...even though it would be my #2 must-ride if I ever made it to Alton. Wanna guess what's #1? :)

Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/13/12 3:35:00 PM
beastmaster said:

Overbanked said:

Thanks Chris/Ken. I done plumb forgot about Oblivion...even though it would be my #2 must-ride if I ever made it to Alton. Wanna guess what's #1? :)

I know it wouldn't be Air, because you don't like B&M flyers. My guess would be Nemesis.

Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/13/12 3:59:52 PM
frontrow said:

beastmaster said:

Overbanked said:

I know it wouldn't be Air, because you don't like B&M flyers. My guess would be Nemesis.

I don't mind B&M flyers, I just prefer Vekoma. But Air and Nemesis would both be incorrect :(
Ask Hayley..maybe she'll think of it while walking backwards :) Tell the Triple H gang I said hi!

* This post was modified at 10/13/12 4:03:43 PM *

Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/13/12 4:53:02 PM
Mike, I take it that your 1# must do would be none other than Oblivion. :)

Diving Machine G5 & Oblivion are near-facsimiles, with Oblivion having only a one-foot drop height advantage (180ft vs 179 ft) over G5, and G5 having a twenty-eight foot longer track length advantage (1222ft vs 1250ft) over Oblivion.

* This post was modified at 10/13/12 4:54:16 PM *

Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/13/12 5:02:11 PM
Overbanked said:

Mike, I take it that your 1# must do would be none other than Oblivion. :)

Diving Machine G5 & Oblivion are near-facsimiles, with Oblivion having only a one-foot drop height advantage (180ft vs 179 ft) over G5, and G5 having a twenty-eight foot longer track length advantage (1222ft vs 1250ft) over Oblivion.

But I don't believe G5 goes underground.

And re-read my post above, Mr. T...I already stated Oblivion would be my # !TWO! must ride at Alton. And Ken already has two strikes in guessing #1..

Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/13/12 5:45:55 PM
^^^Yeah, I screwed up, Diving Machine G5. Reading comprehension never been a strong point for me. LOL
Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/13/12 8:10:44 PM
beastmaster said:

Overbanked said:

Rita?

Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/13/12 9:17:45 PM
frontrow said:

beastmaster said:

Overbanked said:

Rita?

No, but I hear she's cute.

Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/14/12 9:53:21 AM
But the most important question is where will the next one be?

Jen

Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 10/14/12 11:11:44 AM
G5 indeed goes underground at the bottom of the drop. The station is built on a hill on one side of the park and i guess the start of the brake run is like over 120 feet in the air!

The park's other B&M is my favorite looper. Its the great version of sfne batman:the dark knight. Instead of the zero g roll, floorless coaster at janfusun has a straight 130+ feet drop and a powerful helix at the end. Had major airtime and you got a winner.

Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/14/12 11:42:52 AM
Absimilliard said:

G5 indeed goes underground at the bottom of the drop.

Nice. I based my above statement on the pictures on RCDB, including the one I linked. That gave no indication it went underground. I never even knew of the coaster until yesterday.

Thanks for the info, Absimilliard.

Mike

Re: First B&M Dive Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/14/12 12:12:06 PM
frontrow said:

beastmaster said:

Overbanked said:

Rita?

I said this was my #1 must-ride at Alton Towers. I never said it was a coaster.

AHA!!!