Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012...

Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012...

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
10/9/12 at
3:25:44 PM

In case you missed it in the "Intamin's Demise" thread, if you haven't ridden Skyrush yet, you'll have to wait until 2013.

It's been closed for the rest of the season (essentially the Halloween weekends) due to undisclosed reasons, of course.

I won't speculate as to the reason it's closed. But I would imagine that it has to be a pretty significant maintenance issue.

Either that or the park has listened to its last restraint complaint.

I posted the news in the "Demise" thread because I thought it was more pertinent there - certainly relevant to the discussion. Plus, I didn't feel like creating a new thread about it.

But then I realized that perhaps people wouldn't see such a possibly significant piece of news buried in another thread...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012... by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/9/12 4:00:57 PM
I hope the ride itself is not tampered with. Even though the restraints didn't bother me, they have bothered most people. If they do change the restraints, I'd be curious to see what type of restraint could be comfortable and still hold you in. My only complaint about Skyrush is the same side loading and unloading. That would be the one thing that I would change. I'm just glad I got ride it, when I did.
Re: Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012... by drachen drachen Profile at 10/9/12 4:20:50 PM
frontrow said:

I hope the ride itself is not tampered with. Even though the restraints didn't bother me, they have bothered most people. If they do change the restraints, I'd be curious to see what type of restraint could be comfortable and still hold you in. My only complaint about Skyrush is the same side loading and unloading. That would be the one thing that I would change. I'm just glad I got ride it, when I did.

I hear that. I'm glad I got to ride it in its original form too. I don't know what the future will hold for it, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

OTS's like I-305 may work on this ride. It would totally kill the free flying feeling, but ultimately, they'd be a lot more comfortable. I guess I'd be in favor of it, if they just can't figure out a lap restraint that will safely and comfortably work.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Re: Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012... by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/11/12 5:51:40 PM
Damn...wish I could have ridden it in it's first form. Despite that, I hope they don't trimmmmmmm it to oblivion.
- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/12/12 2:24:47 PM
mugen828 said:

Damn...wish I could have ridden it in it's first form. Despite that, I hope they don't trimmmmmmm it to oblivion.

I DO!!!! :~)

Jen

Re: Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012... by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 10/12/12 7:09:01 PM
Aww I haven't got to ride it yet. I really want to though.

Brandon Carlson

Re: Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012... by alpengeistno3 at 10/12/12 9:42:34 PM
mugen828 said:

Rest assured, if trims were the park's answer, they could have been done in an off week. Nope, this is something wayyyy bigger.

Paul

Re: Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/12/12 9:50:26 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

mugen828 said:

Rest assured, if trims were the park's answer, they could have been done in an off week. Nope, this is something wayyyy bigger.

Paul

All I want for Christmas is new restraints and for that first banked turn after the first hill not to sever my spinal cord....

Jen

Re: Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012... by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/15/12 3:05:00 PM
I just read this on coaster-net.com. Apparently the axles of the trains are the reason for the early closing. The way the article reads, it seems as if the axles are an engineering mistake, not a malfunction. Check out articles, then Intamin->issues on the site listed above. I guess the axles are so screwed up that Skyrush may have to get new trains.

* This post was modified at 10/15/12 3:16:03 PM *

Re: Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012... by alpengeistno3 at 10/15/12 6:09:43 PM
frontrow said:

I guess the axles are so screwed up that Skyrush may have to get new trains.

Probably no loss there. I bet Hershey was planning for Intamin to give them new (or significantly redesigned) trains to begin with.

You're right. Put another notch in the Intamin "blunder" belt.

Paul

Re: Skyrush Closed for the Rest of 2012... by drachen drachen Profile at 10/17/12 12:57:14 PM
From Hersheypark's Facebook page:

Hersheypark, in conjunction with the ride manufacturer, have decided to close Skyrush for the remainder of the season to allow for an earlier start on maintenance, overhaul, and testing. One such test you'll see today includes our friendly co-workers, the water-test crew, as they take the last official ride of the season while testing Skyrush.

Interesting... I wish I knew what they are testing for...

drachen