Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster?

Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster?

Stredain Stredain Profile

Posted:
10/5/12 at
10:07:10 AM

Hello everyone.. my oldest boy, 5, has been asking to ride his first rollercoaster ride and I have no idea on what to take him on.. I turned him loose in Sesame Street at BGW but he kept wandering off to Escape from Pompeii to watch the boats. Any suggestions on how to introduce him to our world? I simply snuck onto the Matterhorn for my first initiation of the Roller coaster addiction.
He is dying to try Verbolten, but his dad gave a loud NO.
HELP!
Stredain

Re: Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster? by Katie Katie Profile at 10/5/12 11:08:57 AM
What is his height? If he is big enough for Verbolten let him. There is nothing wrong with letting him ride something he wants to.
Re: Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/5/12 11:17:51 AM
Take him on Dark Knight at Great Adventure. This way, every other coaster he goes on in his life will seem like a masterpiece compared to his initial experience.

When exiting coaster:

You: "Well, did you like that ride, son?"

Him: "Not really, Dad."

You: "But it was better than Dark Knight, right?"

Him: "Yep, Dad, you're right! Can we ride again?"

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 10/5/12 2:00:05 PM
Saying NO only implies that there is something real to fear. If he is of appropriate height, and wants to try a ride, let him. If you want to make him work his way up as far as intensity goes, start on mine-trains and smaller family coasters. Everything I've heard about Verbolten tells me that this is a good first "big" coaster. It gives a general sampling of what coasters can offer, but in a family-friendly way. There are launches, one big drop, an indoor section with its own surprise, etc...

It is much much harder to get a child to ride his first coaster if they don't want to (I was one of those kids. I feared them, so it was a lot of work to get me to go on the bigger coasters), so take advantage of his initial enthusiasm. If he hates Verbolten, at least he'll know, and not just from his dad saying no. If he loves it, start moving up the scale. Take him on Nessie for his first looper, and graduate to the big boys if he still likes it, but only if he wants to. Forcing a child onto a ride when they don't want to is the absolute worst thing you can do.

* This post was modified at 10/5/12 2:01:07 PM *

Re: Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster? by Stredain Stredain Profile at 10/6/12 1:10:48 PM
Thanks guys.. I am taking him to BGW next weekend. He is 41 inches tall already and I am hoping I can get him on Verbolten. If not, he wants to try Loch Ness very badly and told me he 'doesnt want to be a scaredy cat of rides because Dad is!' (Smart kid)
He has this idea that Alpengeist and AC are the big boys coasters.. that you need to be a bigger kid to get on.
We shall see.. but if he has any of my fearless blood in him, it wont be long till he is on Nessie.
Stredain
Re: Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/6/12 5:13:05 PM
Stredain said:

Thanks guys.. I am taking him to BGW next weekend. He is 41 inches tall already and I am hoping I can get him on Verbolten. If not, he wants to try Loch Ness very badly and told me he 'doesnt want to be a scaredy cat of rides because Dad is!' (Smart kid)
He has this idea that Alpengeist and AC are the big boys coasters.. that you need to be a bigger kid to get on.
We shall see.. but if he has any of my fearless blood in him, it wont be long till he is on Nessie.
Stredain

He's too short to ride any of those - 48" is minimum height for Nessie and Verbolten. I don't think he would be able to ride anything at BGE - not any of the adult rides anyway. Tell him next year....

Jen

Re: Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster? by chris92se chris92se Profile at 10/8/12 8:54:49 PM
Honestly, my advice would be to start off with coasters that are mild and maybe only look a little bit scary -- something like Matterhorn or Space Mountain. Disneyland/Disney World seem like natural places to start off with coasters.

Large coasters with high speed and inversions can be a bit much. Several years ago I took my then 7 year-old nephew (who I thought was pretty fearless) to Disneyland. We did Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain on the first day and he really liked those.

However, the next day we went to California Adventure. I could see in his eyes he was a little scared of the California Screamin' but he agreed to ride it. My wife and I told him how many times we had ridden it and sold him on how much fun it is. He did ride it and was silent throughout the ride. After he was done he did not want to ride it again. He said the launch and loop scared him too much. He went back with him family this year (as a 10 year old) and said he really loved California Screamin' and rode it several times.

I guess every kid is different -- some may love it, some may get scared. For my nephew (at that time), this trip had a lot of firsts: first time being outside of Oregon or Washington, first time on an airplane, first time at any kind of theme park and first rides other than the lamest ride at the county fair.

Re: Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/8/12 9:58:35 PM
On a sort of related subject, last night's America's funniest videos had a dad filming his son on Loch Ness (BGW). Kid was terrified of the ascent, but after the first drop the kid was loving the ride and agreed to go on it again. Funny and pretty neat.
Re: Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/9/12 5:47:44 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

On a sort of related subject, last night's America's funniest videos had a dad filming his son on Loch Ness (BGW).

That show's still on? Not new shows, I hope..

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/9/12 11:46:50 AM
From the episode description it said it was the 23rd season. I guess there's still new ways for people getting hit in the groin...
Re: Suggestions to take your child on his first rollercoaster? by Katie Katie Profile at 10/9/12 12:16:12 PM
Screw AFV. This is what's funny...

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82200224/