Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30

Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30

rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile

Posted:
10/1/12 at
11:28:55 AM

So my trip into Philadelphia didn’t start the greatest. I had never been on a plane before and wasn’t aware that my ears were going to pop so bad while landing. I took the train from the airport to the Greyhound bus terminal. It was only 7 dollars. I then waited about 2 hours for my bus to arrive. Then it was another 2 hour ride to get to my hotel in Wrightstown, New Jersey. I stayed at the Days Inn. The room was clean but smelled bad. When I checked in the lady at the front desk wasn’t very helpful. But on Saturday morning a different woman was there and was very helpful. She helped me get to Great Adventure from my hotel since I don’t drive.

The problem was though the bus that left near my hotel didn’t take me to Great Adventure. After I got off the bus it was then a 6 mile walk to the entrance to the park. I mainly went on Saturday for a metal Festival. Most people on here probably don’t listen to this kind of music so I won’t say much about it. When I first got there I went straight on El Toro. Since it was still fairly early there wasn’t a line yet. It was about a 20 minute wait for the front. Now I was not aware that the lift hill was so quick but I liked it quick. I really liked the air time you got on the hills and how steep the first drop is. The only thing I wasn’t a fan of was the drop right before all the banked turns at the end. I got nauseous numerous times. I only rode it once on Saturday. I went to the concert for a little while after that. I had about an hour before the next band I wanted to see went on and since Bizzaro is right next to the stage the show was on I decided to ride that next. It was my first non-inverted floorless. I really enjoyed it. By this time it was a little busier and I waited about an hour to ride but it was worth the wait. I also rode this once on Saturday. I went back to the stage to see a couple more bands. I then went to ride Nitro. I loved Nitro. It was the first B&M hyper I had been on. The ride attendant said it was about an hour and half wait but I only waited about 45 minutes. I ate some fries which were delicious then went back to the show. After the show was over I went and rode Twister. I had never ridden one of these types of rides before so it was interesting. Then I decided to give a stand-up coaster another chance. I waited about 30 minutes for Green Lantern. Which I thought was quite better than Mantis at Cedar Point. Then I left for the night. I had to take a taxi back to the hotel though since I didn’t want to walk another 6 miles back to the bus station.

So I went to guest services to get a number for a taxi. This is where the problems started to arise. The man working gave me a number for an HB taxi out of Freehold. I called them a few times and couldn’t get them to answer. I went back to guest services to get another taxis number. Yet I was told they were the only ones around which was obviously a lie. About 45 minutes later I finally got ahold of them. They charged me 65 dollars to get to my hotel. After I got ahold of them it also took them about an hour to get there. After that I decided I wasn’t going to go back on Sunday because I didn’t want to spend another 65 dollars on two more taxis. However I decided at about 11 on Sunday I would still go. I found another taxi that was based out of New Egypt. It took him a little while to get to my hotel but he only charged me 25 dollars. HB taxi completely robbed me. I do not recommend using them.

I bought a platinum flash pass today. It was my first time buying one. About 90 percent of the wait time is cut off and I get to wait once and rid twice. But as the day went on it stayed dead and I eventually figured it was a waste of money. It was nice being able to ride twice but there were literally no lines. Throughout the day I rode Nitro 10 times, Dark Knight twice, Batman twice, Skull Mountain twice, Bizzarro twice, El Toro 6 times, Kingda Ka 4 times, and Superman twice. I also rode Runaway Mine Train but that was boring. I think Nitro and El Toro got better the more I rode them. I thought Kingda Ka was better than Top Thrill Dragster in my opinion. Superman was my first Flying coaster I went on. It was really cool. Especially the loop it goes through. I was able to get on Kingda Ka, El Toro, and Nitro after dark. I rode them all in the front and back. My favorites in order here were Nitro, El Toro, Kingda Ka, Bizzarro, Superman Ultimate Flight, Green Lantern, Batman, Rolling Thunder, Skull Mountain, Dark Knight, Runaway Mine Train,
So here Is my opinions on the park as a whole. I loved the coasters. I thought they were great. The Employees I thought were really friendly, especially at El Toro. I thought they were really funny. I don’t really understand why they do visual scan though. Six Flags St. Louis doesn’t do that. The layout of the park was really confusing. It was really hard to find Kingda Ka because it was so far out of the way from everything else. I also thought the bathrooms weren’t as clean as other park bathrooms are. I give Great Adventure 9 out of 10.

On Friday I will be at Knott’s Berry Farm and then Saturday and Sunday I will be at Magic Mountain.

Brandon Carlson

Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/1/12 12:11:21 PM
Front seat on El Toro? (Shakes head sadly)

TWO rides on Dark Knight? (Shakes head sadly)

Night ride on Nitro? (Nods head vigorously)

Sorry the transportation issues made it a little tough. I've lived in Jersey my whole life, and I'm not exactly sure where Wrightstown is. But $65 sounds awfully high. Also, if you don't mind me asking, Brandon, where exactly did that bus drop you that you had to walk six miles?

Thanks for the report. I'll probably get there twice more..once in a few weeks with Jen (GoYanks34 on here) and on the 28th to close the park down for the season.

Glad you mostly had a good visit.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 10/1/12 12:18:01 PM
Wrightstown is near New Egypt. It's about 14 miles from the park. If you take a left out of the guest pickup and follow that down about 2 miles. Make a left at the stoplight and it will take you about 4 miles. The bus dropped me off at the 4 way intersection there. It was a little bit past New Egypt.

Brandon Carlson

Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 10/1/12 1:10:47 PM
Here is a better explanation of where Wrighstown is. It's right next fort dix at Mcquire Air Force Base.
Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/1/12 2:31:26 PM
Great TR Brandon. This year you've visited Cedar Point and Six Flags Great Adventure, which are my 2 favorite parks. I have to ask, which one did you like better? Not only is El Toro my favorite wooden coaster, it's my favorite coaster wood or steel. I'm suprised you didn't like that drop near the end; I love that part. Nitro is my 7th favorite steel coaster. It's a great ride from start to finish, and it's still running as good as it was it's first season in 2001. I also like Kinda Ka better than Top Thrill Dragster. That extra height and speed really makes a difference. I know what you mean by it's hard to find, but that's one of the things I like about it. The section it's in, The Golden Kingdom, is my favorite part of the park. The theming is excellent, and it seems that Kinda Ka has it's own midway. Being that there's nothin else around it, Kinda Ka appears to be 150ft. taller than Top Thrill Dragster. I think the park did a fantastic job in placing the coaster and the area you walk through in order to get to it. I really like the B&M flyers also. Superman Ultimate Flight in Six Flags Over Georgia and in Six Flags Great America are even better. I also like Bizarro and Batman. Both are very good coasters. Well, I'm glad you got to go and ride a lot. It sounds like a really fun 2 days. Be safe going to California. I can't wait for the TR, I've never been out there. By the way, I would have enjoyed the metal concert also.
Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/1/12 3:56:54 PM
Awwwww Ken....so you are another one who prefers El Toro over Voyage?? I thought we would be together on that choice.I still think Voyage is twice the coaster that El Toro is and that is saying a lot since El Toro is my second favorite woodie. While El Toro ends so quickly,Voyage keeps that intensity up MUCH longer. That is what makes it twice as good.
Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 10/1/12 4:12:37 PM
I've never been to Holiday World so I couldn't give my opinion on Voyage. And at first I liked the hill at the end but I think I rode it too much. It just started to make me sick. El Toro is still my favorite though.
Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/1/12 5:37:48 PM
chitlins73 said:

Awwwww Ken....so you are another one who prefers El Toro over Voyage?? I thought we would be together on that choice.I still think Voyage is twice the coaster that El Toro is and that is saying a lot since El Toro is my second favorite woodie. While El Toro ends so quickly,Voyage keeps that intensity up MUCH longer. That is what makes it twice as good.

I do like El Toro just a little more, but The Voyage and Hades are so close to it. All 3 coasters are in my top 10 overall. I agree the Voyage lasts longer, and I usually ride it the back seat. Every ride I have ever had on The Voyage has been super smooth. The reason El Toro is my favorite is because how extreme the air time is. Skyrush is the only coaster that has more extreme air time.

Sorry Brandon for high jacking your thread.

Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 10/1/12 5:46:04 PM
Not a big deal.

Brandon Carlson

Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/1/12 8:25:51 PM
I was just wondering..who stole the flags in the subject line?
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/1/12 9:18:28 PM
I cannot believe someone charged you $65 for a taxi for 14 miles! OUTRAGEOUS! I wish you would have had my number - I would have done it for just gas money. Sorry about that. Didn't you have a smartphone where you could've Googled taxis?

Glad you had a good time and I am a fellow metal head. There are still some of us lurking around. I'm mostly into 80's metal and newer bands like Godsmack (I caught Sully's water bottle at the last show and it was the highlight of my life!), Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, etc. How was the show?

I actually LOVE that 3rd drop on ET - it's so forceful and unexpected. I pretty much agree with almost everything you wrote except liking Superman UF - HATE it, LOL. I can't believe you had to wait an hour for Medusa (Bizzaro) - it's usually a walk-on. Glad to see she's getting some love.

The next time you plan on coming to the area let me know and I'll make sure that does not happen to you again with the taxi - we'll get you closer to the park (many places on RTE 9 in Howell, about 15 min from the park) and better taxi's or direct buses who won't rip you off!

Glad you managed to enjoy yourself anyway!

Jen

Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/2/12 7:28:00 PM
You did get ripped off, but it seems like you had a great time overall. Glad you didn't have any in the park mishaps. It makes me happy to hear that!

Hopefully you can come back and visit again. that's also got to be cool to see bands you actually enjoy and then ride some coasters! talk about a package deal!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Six Great Adventure Trip Report 9-29/9-30 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 10/2/12 7:38:25 PM
I have a smart phone but internet doesn't like to work when I'm around a lot of people. But the show was great. There was a little bit of poor planing on Six Flags Part. And one of lead singers for one of the bands was retarded and thee 3 Mic standard in the crowd causing 2 people going to the hospital. He pretty much got metal shows banned at Great Adventure. Avenged Sevenfold is my favorite band though.