Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags Great Adventure does it again

Six Flags Great Adventure does it again

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
9/27/12 at
12:00:36 PM

Remember when they had a picture of a different coaster on the El Toro page? And all the times they mix other coasters into the local commercials? Well, here's another blunder. I've been sick and not getting much sleep so I was playing on the web site last night looking at Fright Fest stuff and read what's under El Toro. Can anyone pick out the error? Who edits this stuff?!

http://frightfest.sixflags.com/greatadventure/attractions/rides/el-toro/

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/27/12 1:01:17 PM
Shockwave...?

I looked it up and found SFGAdv had one (standup), but it's been gone since 1992, which is about 7 years before I started doing the "enthusiast thing."

Mike B.

Mike B.
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/27/12 2:54:08 PM
MABrider said:

Shockwave...?

I looked it up and found SFGAdv had one (standup), but it's been gone since 1992, which is about 7 years before I started doing the "enthusiast thing."

Mike B.

We have a winner!!! You get unlimited rides on Shockwave at SFGadv if you can find it!!

When I read that it was 3 am and I was on a lot of cold/cough medicine so I took a double take. And even when Shockwave was there it was over by where Houdini is now - no where near ET.

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/27/12 3:06:41 PM
Yeah, Shockwave was the only "mistake" I noticed. I just wanna know where I can get some of them eyeballs they's talkin' 'bout.

You told me once that eyeballs gross you out, so I'm guessing I can have your share. You can have your delectable Mexican pastry instead.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by Coaster316 at 9/27/12 4:36:24 PM
I was going to say that they must have copied and pasted from another park, but they couldn't have even done that because I don't think there are any rides left named Shockwave at any Six Flags park (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I know the rest of the wording is the same for Flashback at New England.

Interesting find.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by drachen drachen Profile at 9/27/12 4:42:22 PM
Coaster316 said:

I was going to say that they must have copied and pasted from another park, but they couldn't have even done that because I don't think there are any rides left named Shockwave at any Six Flags park (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Just the one at Six Flags Over Texas.

It's not uncommon for Six Flags to cut and paste a write-up from one park to another. They aim to be the same "Six Flags" brand at all of their parks.

But I agree, a little more proof reading is required before you upload something like this. These types of mistakes are not uncommon with them...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/27/12 8:20:59 PM
beastmaster said:

Yeah, Shockwave was the only "mistake" I noticed. I just wanna know where I can get some of them eyeballs they's talkin' 'bout.

You told me once that eyeballs gross you out, so I'm guessing I can have your share. You can have your delectable Mexican pastry instead.

You know I don't do eyeballs so I would ALWAYS trade you an eyeball for a delectable Mexican pastry!

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by Coaster316 at 9/28/12 6:15:42 AM
drachen said:

D'oh, can't believe I forgot that one. Thanks.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by drachen drachen Profile at 9/28/12 8:48:56 AM
Coaster316 said:

drachen said:

I admit, I needed help. I couldn't think of one either. Thank you RCDB...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/28/12 11:22:25 AM
It'd be nice if specific markets gets ads for coasters specific to their parks. Like some years back when they advertised for GAdv's Bizzaro, they shouldn't have been using images of the SFNE Bizzaro's tracks. It lead to the false sense of the park getting a totally new ride as opposed to just a re-theming of Medusa. And of course the most prominent ride they keep inserting now is Titan or Goliath (MM) in the ads.

GAdv has at least 3 top coasters and nice supporting ones, there's no need to advertise other parks' coasters in a general ad.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 9/28/12 3:46:34 PM
I hate it when parks put coasters they don't actually have in their commercials, and other advertisement items. I remember this once, I was waiting in line for Shipwreck Falls at Six Flags America, and they showed a POV of the Titan from Six Flags Over Texas on those T.V. screen things, and everyone actually thought they had it. It was funny. Everyone was like, "Which one is that?", and "Is that new!?"

* This post was modified at 9/28/12 3:55:37 PM *

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 9/28/12 10:32:43 PM
Coaster316 said:

drachen said:

Um, yeah, the original Shockwave...kind of an historic Schwartzkopf coaster there...thanks for forgetting about us down here in Texas Jen...

:) ;)

- Pt-O

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/28/12 10:40:49 PM
LoneStar said:

Coaster316 said:

drachen said:

Um, yeah, the original Shockwave...kind of an historic Schwartzkopf coaster there...thanks for forgetting about us down here in Texas Jen...

:) ;)

- Pt-O

That was coaster316, not me! I was simply stating there was no Shockwave at SFGAdv anymore. I would NEVER forget you Texans - you're allowed to pack heat! LOL!

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 10/2/12 7:49:10 PM
Shockwave is in storage at Darien Lake. They should install it there,it would be a big success because they haven't built something major in a while. It also seems Shockwave was a big candidate for the old Ride Rotation Program. It was sent from Six Flags Magic Mountain-Six Flags Great Adventure- Now Defunct Six Flags AstroWorld- Darien Lake ( was then still known as "Six Flags Darien Lake." )

* This post was modified at 10/2/12 7:51:31 PM *

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/2/12 8:08:05 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Shockwave is in storage at Darien Lake. They should install it there,it would be a big success because they haven't built something major in a while. It also seems Shockwave was a big candidate for the old Ride Rotation Program. It was sent from Six Flags Magic Mountain-Six Flags Great Adventure- Now Defunct Six Flags AstroWorld- Darien Lake ( was then still known as "Six Flags Darien Lake." )

It was a good stand-up too. I really liked it.

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/2/12 9:21:09 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Jen

Never rode it. It intimidated me back then, even before I was the enthusiass you see before you today. I could also tell how uncomfortable it would be.

And no, that wasn't a typo.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/2/12 9:47:42 PM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Never rode it. It intimidated me back then, even before I was the enthusiass you see before you today. I could also tell how uncomfortable it would be.

And no, that wasn't a typo.

I actually remember it being quite comfy and smooth compared to the stand-ups that are out there today. But this was when I was about 20 years old so I'm sure my tolerance for pain was much higher then. I really don't remember anyone complaining when we rode it though (even the guys).

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/3/12 12:37:20 AM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

I rode it at Six Flags Astroworld and really liked it.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 10/3/12 10:29:21 AM
frontrow said:

Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Was it rougher or better than Iron Wolf/ Apocalypse?

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/4/12 5:23:08 AM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

frontrow said:

Fatsoccerguy191 said:

While I've never ridden that stand up, from the responses I've heard, I can almost guarantee it was better. But if Ken rode it at Astroworld it was after I did so I'm not sure if the relocation affected the ride at all.

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/4/12 11:34:03 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Fatsoccerguy191 said:

frontrow said:

Fatsoccerguy191 said:

While I've never ridden that stand up, from the responses I've heard, I can almost guarantee it was better. But if Ken rode it at Astroworld it was after I did so I'm not sure if the relocation affected the ride at all.

Jen

It wasn't rough at all, a lot smoother than Apocalypse and most of the B&M stand ups. At the same time, it didn't have as many inversions or elements that the B&M's do. I believe that Shockwave (it was called Batman at SF Astoworld), was built by Intamin. I only had one ride on it, because how busy the park was, so I can't remember every detail. I do remember it being smooth and not much head banging.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/4/12 11:56:54 AM
Ken/Jen...(hey, that rhymes!)

Was Shockwave's layout and style more like the Togo standups..e.g. KI's King Cobra and KD's Shockwave? As opposed to the more modern B&M's?

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/4/12 12:27:03 PM
beastmaster said:

Ken/Jen...(hey, that rhymes!)

Was Shockwave's layout and style more like the Togo standups..e.g. KI's King Cobra and KD's Shockwave? As opposed to the more modern B&M's?

Never rode King Cobra but it's more similar to KD's Shockwave than the B&M's. It was very compact and short. I think I liked it more because of the time it was there. There weren't many thrill coasters at that time so it was new and exciting. If I rode it today I'm sure I would feel differently but I really don't remember it being rough at all. If you look at the pictures you can see that the seat in between the legs was very narrow, which is my biggest complaint about the newer stand-ups. Those seats are so wide (made for sitting more than support between the thighs) and that makes them more uncomfortable. I remember liking the first drop which looks like a joke compared to today's coasters according to the pictures. It's all relative I suppose.

Here's a good web page that has some pics of the track and layout:

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=2507

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by alpengeistno3 at 10/4/12 6:49:38 PM
Why look at history when you have youtube :)

If you want POV, Cobra at La Ronde is a clone.

Paul

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by drachen drachen Profile at 10/4/12 6:58:06 PM
^ Ugh... there is nothing I hate more than a shaky, illegal POV...
drachen
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/4/12 7:27:42 PM
drachen said:

^ Ugh... there is nothing I hate more than a shaky, illegal POV...

I think I need a meclizine - I'm feeling a bit nauseous after watching that!

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure does it again by alpengeistno3 at 10/4/12 7:42:41 PM
I must admit, I didn't spend long looking. Maybe there is a better one if you search.

Paul