Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Kings Dominion trimming their rides?

Kings Dominion trimming their rides?

squirrels

Posted:
9/15/12 at
7:26:04 PM

Anyone heard anything about KD trimming I305 or any of their other rides? A friend of mine was up there today and he said it felt like the rides were all putting on the brakes on the first drop.

Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by alpengeistno3 at 9/16/12 8:38:42 PM
Nothing seemed out of place when I was last there. Anaconda is always trimmed hard, FoF is still doing the rolling stop. Avalanche can be hit or miss. Sometimes it will stop hard, sometimes it will just roll through. Probably based on train weight and temp.

Dominator is the least trimmed in the park, especially when the trains are running half empty in the afternoon.

As for I-305, there hasn't been any modifications since the 1st drop curve was reworked. Maybe your friend finally noticed the 3rd hill trims, which are quite noticeable to us enthusiasts, but takes little away from the end of the ride.

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/17/12 2:03:04 AM
Yeah, I'm just glad it's only the 3rd hill the trimmed. As long as they don't put the trims back on the 1st drop of I305, I'm satisfied.

Dominator is just wonderful, you hardly feel the mcbr.

'Italian job', they may as well not bother with the wait at the mcbr since they haven't bothered to get the helicopter working since I last saw it used in 2009. I mean would it kill them to at least play some gunfire sounds?

Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by alpengeistno3 at 9/17/12 2:36:29 AM
I didn't count IJ since the brake isn't used as a trim, but as a holding brake. It will always bring the train to a stop regardless of conditions.

You are right about the show effects. People were saying as far back as media day that KD would not be able to keep the effects up. I'm wondering, if they are willing to let things like the helicopter scene go so far awry, why bother with the other effects? At least FOF still works as a ride without any of its initial queue line effects. IJ is not a bad ride, but the missing/failing effects (like the gunfire with the helicopter belly up because the lift has malfunctioned) make it look like trash.

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 9/17/12 9:00:33 AM
After Cedar Fair took over all the Paramount parks in 2006 all of the theming was removed from many rides. Three different Top Guns became Flight Decks and one other became Afterburn. BORG Assimilator became Nighthawk while three Italian Job's became Backlot Stunt's. Not fixing the gunfire from the helicopter seems like a case of laziness or being cheap. The "cars" now look like plastic blocks; that's bad.
Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by squirrels at 9/17/12 9:38:11 AM
theRock-steel said:

After Cedar Fair took over all the Paramount parks in 2006 all of the theming was removed from many rides. Three different Top Guns became Flight Decks and one other became Afterburn. BORG Assimilator became Nighthawk while three Italian Job's became Backlot Stunt's. Not fixing the gunfire from the helicopter seems like a case of laziness or being cheap. The "cars" now look like plastic blocks; that's bad.

As I said in another thread, BSC/IJ is maybe a half-step above a flat for me. A fun flat, for what it is, but still...meh.

I don't even remember helicopters shooting missiles and blowing stuff up in the Italian Job movie. As I recall, the Minis were being chased through the sewers, which would preclude helicopter access. But maybe I don't remember the movie that well...I just remember Ed Norton being the guy you love to hate. He plays a "prick" better than anyone. :p

* This post was modified at 9/17/12 9:38:37 AM *

Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/17/12 1:45:26 PM
Obviously they probably can't afford an animatronic figure shooting from the window of the helicopter and substituted that with a gun mounted on the helicopter. The gun was supposed to shoot at the oil drums to your right and light them up. I don't think there were ever missiles. And it probably would've been too complicated to have the helicopter use the blade to cut up the train, as cool as that would've been.

But it is laziness to not even fix something on it. The only reason, I feel, it's there is because it's a good family coaster that the kids won't get too freaked out on. But I still question how that ride is rated a 5 instead of 3 or 4. That or they really need to add an extra 2 numbers to show how intense Dominator ('6') and I305 ('7') are.

* This post was modified at 9/17/12 1:47:27 PM *

Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by Coaster316 at 9/17/12 2:29:00 PM
Backlot is a guilty pleasure of mine, I absolutely love it, but I agree that it could/should have a different rating. It might even increase ridership if some families are unaware of just how rideable it is for the whole clan.

Good thoughts.

Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/17/12 6:23:01 PM
theRock-steel said:

But the Backlot coaster at KI had all the effects working when I was there a few years ago (summer 2009 or 2010) and when I rode it at KD last summer with nothing working it really took away from the ride. I thought it was such an awesome, fun little launch for everyone to enjoy but I hated it without the effects at KD. If KI can keep it in decent shape why can't KD?

Jen

Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 9/17/12 6:27:54 PM
GoYanks34 said:

If KI can keep it in decent shape why can't KD?

Cost.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by alpengeistno3 at 9/17/12 7:07:45 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

But I still question how that ride is rated a 5 instead of 3 or 4. That or they really need to add an extra 2 numbers to show how intense Dominator ('6') and I305 ('7') are.

A clear flaw with the park's rating system. The park defines rides with a 5 rating as having "one or more of the following: high speed (no) and or heights (no), aggressive and unexpected forces (somewhat during the subway stair entrance and the tunnel), and rapid directional or elevation change (somewhat as well) Riders will encounter many unexpected rapid changes in speed, (ie, launch, yes) direction and/or elevation." All the launch coasters, Dominator, I-305, Shockwave, and Anaconda fall into that category

The next ranking (4) has all of those words minus the word "aggressive" (all the woodies, including Scooby Doo fall into that category with the major water rides along with Drop Tower and Windseeker.

Avalanche (3) and Taxi Jam (2) are the only coasters that are listed as Intermediate or Mild. So, according to the park, those seem to be the only "child appropriate" coasters in the park Should Rebel Yell have the same rating as Grizzly? Should IJ have the same rating as Volcano and I-305? Drop Tower and Scooby Doo?!?!

I think KD should go about it like Busch Gardens, describe the elements and requirements to ride (at no point does the map say Flight of Fear is an indoor, looping roller coaster) and let parents decide for themselves whether the ride is appropriate for their child. The rating system, while somewhat helpful, is really useless in truly determining which rides a kid can ride.

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/17/12 10:56:45 PM
Totally agreed. If I can ever manage to get the time to get my pics posted for my TR, I'll post my own 'rating system' of the coasters I rode there back in August. But I305 and Dominator are easily above the typical 5 score. Imo, Volcano and FOF are the only 2 that qualifies as a solid 5. Shockwave at best is a 4. The stand up isn't that scary once you get past the first drop. The ride is relatively tame compared to Dominator. I think it's unrealistic to have 5 as the highest in the category.
Re: Kings Dominion trimming their rides? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/18/12 7:09:37 AM
squirrels said:

... the sewers, which would preclude helicopter access. But maybe I don't remember the movie that well...I just remember Ed Norton being the guy you love to hate. He plays a "prick" better than anyone. :p

I never saw the movies, but it certainly would be appropriate if Ed Norton was in the sewers.

Ralphie-Boy

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...