Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Anyone want to see CP's Space Spiral come down?

Anyone want to see CP's Space Spiral come down?

alpengeistno3

Posted:
9/13/12 at
1:22:26 AM

Anyone else surprised they used explosive to get it down rather a "more controlled" tear down? I have to admit, despite these guys being professionals, my heart would be in my throat watching that thing fall so close to Wicked Twister.

Paul

* This post was modified at 9/13/12 1:24:04 AM *

Re: Anyone want to see CP's Space Spiral come down? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/13/12 6:28:07 AM
I watched that video from another site yesterday (different angles, though.). Felt a little weird watching that one day after 9/11.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Anyone want to see CP's Space Spiral come down? by alpengeistno3 at 9/13/12 6:07:08 PM
Never thought of that point myself, Mike. Hmmm...

Well, one thing is clear. Dorney will not be the receiving Disaster Transport or Space Spiral next year. Maybe they can get a "new" ride for a change.

Paul

Re: Anyone want to see CP's Space Spiral come down? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/13/12 6:39:42 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Well, one thing is clear. Dorney will not be the receiving Disaster Transport or Space Spiral next year. Maybe they can get a "new" ride for a change.

Paul

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! YEAH, RIGHT!!!!!

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Anyone want to see CP's Space Spiral come down? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/13/12 8:56:38 PM
beastmaster said:

alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! YEAH, RIGHT!!!!!

I thought profanity wasn't allowed on this forum! He said the "D" word (which is MUCH worse than the "F" word IMO)! 8-P

Jen

Re: Anyone want to see CP's Space Spiral come down? by skc2000 at 9/14/12 5:11:39 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Anyone else surprised they used explosive to get it down rather a "more controlled" tear down? I have to admit, despite these guys being professionals, my heart would be in my throat watching that thing fall so close to Wicked Twister.

Paul

What if it would have fallen the wrong way & hit wicked twister instead?How did they know which way it was going to fall?

skc2000

Re: Anyone want to see CP's Space Spiral come down? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/14/12 5:18:44 PM
skc2000 said:

What if it would have fallen the wrong way & hit wicked twister instead?How did they know which way it was going to fall?

skc2000

That's what demolition experts do. They use different explosives in precise locations for a controlled demolition knowing which way and how it will fall. It's actually a very exact science that involves a lot of advanced physics. It wasn't a coincidence that the area in which it fell was cleared out. They knew exactly where it was going to fall, even to the point of placing a camera right next to it to record the event.

Jen

* This post was modified at 9/14/12 5:33:06 PM *