Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results

2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
9/10/12 at
10:29:33 AM

These always generate a number of opinions.

Dollywood seemed to win a lot of awards this year that they had not won in the past. Ironically, the park was also hosting the awards this year...

Having said that, the park seems to be reaching out to the enthusiast community more and more, and I'm sure that played into the voting.

These awards, afterall, are all about getting a ranking that both the parks and manufacturers can tout for the next year.

For example, Intamin can brag that they have the number one wooden coaster, and the number one steel coaster this year.

Anyway, these are always to be taken with a grain of salt. They are fun to look through, and fun to discuss, as long as everyone remembers to take them for what they are worth.

Golden Ticket Awards - PDF

* This post was modified at 9/10/12 12:24:47 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/10/12 10:44:18 AM
Nice to see Toro as the #1 wood, but other than that...(YAWN..)

The PDF didn't work when I tried it, but I saw the results elsewhere.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by drachen drachen Profile at 9/10/12 12:26:36 PM
beastmaster said:

Nice to see Toro as the #1 wood, but other than that...(YAWN..)

The PDF didn't work when I tried it, but I saw the results elsewhere.

Mike

It should work now. I pasted the wrong thing...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/10/12 1:33:11 PM
I've been at Kennywood the last 2 days, but I did check the results Saturday. I was chosen to fill out a ballot, once again this year. I involved my kids with the voting, and made it a group decision. We had a lot of fun with it. Really glad to see El Toro take top spot on the wooden coaster list, not because It's my favorite coaster. It's good to see some changes, in the results. One thing that that I have noticed in recent years is wherever ACE has the national convention, those parks and the coasters at those parks rank higher that year. Wild Eagle got best new ride, Thunderhead was a top 5 wooden coaster, and Intimadator made top 10 steel coaster list. The previous years it was ranked below #20. Dollywood also claimed best food and friendliest staff. I believe this is another product of the convention. I think some of the members of ACE go to the convention every year as their vacation, and don't travel the country as often as most of us here on URC. I would like to see the ballots distributed to different people every year. That's why the results are preditable. Still, I look forward to the results every year.

* This post was modified at 9/10/12 1:40:12 PM *

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/10/12 8:51:02 PM
YAY El Toro! I fail to see how many similar coasters are so far apart. IMO Diamondback is MUCH better than AC and although I've never been to Carowinds I was still surprised to see Intimidator beat out I-305. I was happy to see Magnum in the top 10 - one of the most underrated coasters IMO as well. And Griffon/Sheikra at #26 and 30? I don't think so! While I take a lot of it with a grain of salt it's still fun to look at.

Jen

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/10/12 9:59:08 PM
How is I-305 not 1st,2nd,or 3rd steel coaster in the world??? And how os The Voyage not number 1 when it is twice the coaster El Toro is? I love El Toro but The Voyage just keeps up the intensity twice as long as El Toro!!
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/11/12 12:02:33 AM
I have to agree, with the changes done to I305, it at least deserves to be top 7, if not top 5. It's become so much better. I've yet to ride the other B&M hypers besides AC and Nitro, but they can't all be that spread out, can they? Shouldn't they be somewhat similar?

* This post was modified at 9/11/12 12:06:20 AM *

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/11/12 6:44:22 AM
I am also surprised that Skyrush is only like 42 on the list.That is crazy also!!! These awards are fun to look at but kinda silly.No way Steel force is better than Skyrush!!!...lol
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by NotSo NotSo Profile at 9/11/12 9:42:43 AM
If they had a "1 second thrill" winner, or a "THIS THING MAKES THE RIDE GREAT!!" winner, would THE YETI on Expedition Everest take it down? Eric, OB??? Or would the top of Dragster take it maybe? Kinda Ka?

* This post was modified at 9/11/12 9:46:08 AM *

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/11/12 10:03:24 AM
NotSo said:

If they had a "1 second thrill" winner, or a "THIS THING MAKES THE RIDE GREAT!!" winner, would THE YETI on Expedition Everest take it down? Eric, OB??? Or would the top of Dragster take it maybe? Kinda Ka?

My vote would be for KK (shocker! - LOL)
Never been on Everest, it wasn't there the last time I was, but I remember hearing that the Yeti hasn't been working from people on here.

Jen

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 9/11/12 11:58:21 AM
Indeed Jen, the Yeti had been broken and they turned off the lights in the room. Instead of him trying to grab you, you got a strobe to create the illusion of movement.
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Tomes at 9/11/12 12:21:38 PM
I know the Voyage is longer than El Toro, but in my opinion El Toro is the ultimate roller coaster experience. I haven't been on the New Texas Giant, or the upcoming Iron Rattler or Outlaw Run obviously, but El Toro delivers the intensity that you find on rides like Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick, Intimidator305 and X2. I'm a steel guy, but El Toro will have to make it to my top 5 coasters of all times!! I'm impressed again every time I ride that ride, I've ridden it in the back, in the front and in the middle. Front is the best IMO.
Voyage is AWESOME, don't get me wrong, but I think it's a class below ET. Hades and Voyage are close on my list and are both ranked high but I would have totally voted for ET over them.

On another note, I can't believe SFoT's Shockwave was tied with Griffon... Com'on!! lol. And of course there is my eternal disagreement with the roller coaster community about Magnum.. If it were my list, there is NO WAY Storm Runner, Griffon, Sheikra, I305, Dragster, KK, Manta, Montu, Alpengeist, Hulk, Volcano:The Blast, or even Raging Bull would be below Magnum.

And Why isn't the Riddler's Revenge on the list????? LOL! We (the rc community) have forgotten about this amazing, awesome, 1-of-a-kind, still smooth and intense ride! WAY better than Tatsu or even Goliath IMO.

Prediction: Gatekeeper will be in the next year's top 20. Full Throttle will be closer to 40.

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/11/12 5:54:44 PM
I guess lots of people put El Toro in front of The Voyage because it is such a smooth wooden coaster but a true woodie fan will always put the feel of a real wooden coaster in front of a pre fab woodie that feels smooth like a steel coaster.When I get off of Voyage,I feel like I been on an intense Voyage that is so intense that you are exhausted afterwards.It is like a workout.I love that out of control overly intense ride that blows you away!! El Toro is tame compared to Voyage becuase you can easily re ride it over and over all night.
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/11/12 6:38:59 PM
Tomes, I agree with you about how steelies like Hulk, Montu, I305, maybe even Manta (imo) deserve to be somewhere closer towards the top (at least among the top 15-20 somewhere). Montu to me will forever stay in my top 3 if not favorite of all the coasters I've been on so far. I305 deserved much better.

Lol, just watch skyrush magically get a boost up the list if Hersey were to host the awards.

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/11/12 7:07:44 PM
chitlins73 said:

I guess lots of people put El Toro in front of The Voyage because it is such a smooth wooden coaster but a true woodie fan will always put the feel of a real wooden coaster in front of a pre fab woodie that feels smooth like a steel coaster.When I get off of Voyage,I feel like I been on an intense Voyage that is so intense that you are exhausted afterwards.It is like a workout.I love that out of control overly intense ride that blows you away!! El Toro is tame compared to Voyage becuase you can easily re ride it over and over all night.

So I guess I'm not a true woodie fan. I'll turn in my card at the office.

I had 50 rides on Voyage over 2 days in 2007. Loved almost every one, but it ain't Toro. I consider Ravine Flyer a notch above Voyage as well. Doesn't make Voyage a bad ride. To each his own. Maybe if THAT was the ride that was closest to me and I rode it often, I'd feel differently. Who knows?

Mike

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/11/12 7:46:51 PM
No Mike......of course you are a true woodie fan,lol.You are Beastmaster correct?? It is just one of those strong opinions I have.I just feel Voyage is the most intense coaster I have ever been on by far!! It just feels like an experience that no other coaster can rival.Even watching the pov's,you can see how much more crazy and intense it is.But I hear ya.....everyone does not feel the same.We all have different opinions on what coasters are better than others.
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/11/12 8:21:20 PM
chitlins73 said:

No Mike......of course you are a true woodie fan,lol.You are Beastmaster correct??

For now....

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/11/12 9:24:20 PM
Maybe the better choice of words would be "wooden coaster purists."

As far as my take on the awards, I thought they were pretty standard. I kinda guessed that this year Voyage would lose its spot, as this would be the year those who didn't approve of its roughness in 2011 would catch up. Next year, I predict it will stay the same, or move up, since this year's re-tracking helped quite a bit, or the Timberliners (if they are finally put on next year) would be big enough news to get immediate reaction, and bump it solidly back up into first. Idk.

I found it a liiittle suspicious that Dollywood claimed so many awards, considering it was the host park, and Dolly herself was there to accept the awards. Perhaps that's the cynic in me, Idk.

I am a tad surprised that Mammoth wasn't in the top water park rides overall. I personally felt that it was a slightly better ride than Wildebeest. Maybe it'll sneak in next year.

Anyhoo, I don't really care a whole lot about the awards, as they don't really mean anything. I mean, I wouldn't not visit a park just cause it's not in the top 5. But still, it's a fun industry tradition. I think they should air on the Travel Channel some day. They probably never will, but that would be cool. That way we could watch in high quality instead of the not-so-great camera they have to stream the even with.

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by alpengeistno3 at 9/11/12 9:31:06 PM
I find it ironic that the top wooden coaster is the one that rides "like a steel coaster" thanks to the plug and play track. Seems kind of like a "slap to the face" to the essence of what wood coasters are know for, doesn't it?

It is interesting (though not surprising) that The New TG is ranked as a steel coaster, despite many who have mistakenly (or purposely) evaluated it as a wooden coaster. Could be interesting to see what happens with two of the most anticipated "wooden" coasters for next year, Iron Rattler and Outlaw Run.

Paul

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/11/12 9:34:28 PM
I've said this before, I think you guys should get involved in the voting. Just email Gary Slade and tell him interested. We have a lot of fun with it. I made our ballot a group decision this year, because I didn't want to send in the same ballot as last year. I don't agree with most of the results, but I did send in a ballot, so I did my part. One thing that surprises me that Prowler or I305 are not in the top 10, but those are just 2 examples. I'm sure some of the coasters over seas are better than what they are ranked. The system has flaws, but I think all coaster polls have flaws. Just from reading the comments on this thread, you can tell we all have differences in opinions. I used to use these awards as a guide to the best coasters and parks. Now I just look at it as something fun. Let's face it the only way to know how good a coaster or park is, is to experience it for yourself. I actually enjoy viewing URC members profiles, in order to see their favorite coasters. It's just something that interests me, I like to see the differences in opinions. I think that's why I like polls like The Golden Ticket Awards and The Mitch Hawker Poll. I find it more interesting than accurate.
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/11/12 9:53:21 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

I find it ironic that the top wooden coaster is the one that rides "like a steel coaster" thanks to the plug and play track. Seems kind of like a "slap to the face" to the essence of what wood coasters are know for, doesn't it?

It is interesting (though not surprising) that The New TG is ranked as a steel coaster, despite many who have mistakenly (or purposely) evaluated it as a wooden coaster. Could be interesting to see what happens with two of the most anticipated "wooden" coasters for next year, Iron Rattler and Outlaw Run.

Paul

Well, I think Outlaw run will be counted as a wooden coaster regardless. Its just topper track. Most of the track's layers are wooden.

Iron Rattler will be counted as Steel, as it is the same track design as The New TG, where none of the track itself is wooden.

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/11/12 9:57:50 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

That's why I always thought the pre-fab woodies should have their own category but for something like this there just aren't enough of them. To me they're a hybrid between a wood and steel coaster. I still think ET is one of the best coasters out there - that speed and those drops are amazing and I LOVE me some negative G's! I just wish they would build more of them.

Jen

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 9/12/12 6:52:10 AM
I have never been a big Intamin fan. Millennium Force and the two Ride of Steel's are great but other than that... El Toro, Skyrush, and Storm Runner are very overrated. Thunderhead, Phoenix, and Voyage are better woodens.
Regardless of what one you would put at the top, all the B&M hypers should be close together (within 20 of each other).
There are too many gigas, hypers, inverts, and launchers now for Magnum to stay in the top 20. Many are smoother with more air.
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Tomes at 9/12/12 10:48:29 AM
theRock-steel said:

I have never been a big Intamin fan. Millennium Force and the two Ride of Steel's are great but other than that... El Toro, Skyrush, and Storm Runner are very overrated. Thunderhead, Phoenix, and Voyage are better woodens.
Regardless of what one you would put at the top, all the B&M hypers should be close together (within 20 of each other).
There are too many gigas, hypers, inverts, and launchers now for Magnum to stay in the top 20. Many are smoother with more air.

I would obviously disagree with you about El Toro and Storm Runner as I think ET would be in my top 3 all time favorite rides (And I rode it as a skeptic) and Storm Runner, despite being short was awesome to me. But that's exactly why these polls are set up because we all have our differences of opinions and there is no "right" on "wrong" opinion.

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/12/12 5:51:13 PM
Wow!!!! El Toro,Skyrush,and Stormrunner overrated??????? Skyrush is underrated!!! 42 on the golden ticket??? That is insane!But it does all go back to different strokes for different folks,lol.
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/12/12 6:12:52 PM
Maybe that ejection feeling from Skyrush would've given some people a stroke? :)
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/12/12 6:14:26 PM
I am sure Skyrush will be way higher on the Mitch Hawker poll!!!
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/12/12 6:49:40 PM
chitlins73 said:

I am sure Skyrush will be way higher on the Mitch Hawker poll!!!

Are the people who vote for that poll masochists? LOL!

Jen

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 9/12/12 8:59:42 PM
"... there is no "right" on "wrong" opinion."
Of course I agree.

Any "ejection" feeling is not good. So as I said, I would not put El Toro anywhere near the top. Skyrush was at their 42. On my steel list it was 35. Again, I am not a big Intamin fan. Because most of them are not built for me, I am in pure pain most of the time. I forgot to mention Top Thrill Dragster / Kingda Ka. I can't help comparing Storm Runner to those because of the launch. Naturally TTD and KK are insanely tall but also the restraints are much more comfortable. The big ones win, the looping one loses.

* This post was modified at 9/12/12 9:00:38 PM *

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/13/12 1:08:02 PM
chitlins73 said:

Skyrush is underrated!!! 42 on the golden ticket??? That is insane!But it does all go back to different strokes for different folks,lol.

I believe new coasters should not appear on the ballot until the year after installation, or until a full season of operations has occured.
That way there would be more of a valid sample (number of riders).

Unless of course people vote for a ride they haven't ridden.
Nah, that never happens, I just know it!

Mike B.

Mike B.
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/13/12 8:02:17 PM
MABrider said:

chitlins73 said:

Skyrush is underrated!!! 42 on the golden ticket??? That is insane!But it does all go back to different strokes for different folks,lol.

I believe new coasters should not appear on the ballot until the year after installation, or until a full season of operations has occured.

Mike B.

Here is how the ballot is set up:
There are a number of categories like best park, best new ride, best carousel, best food, and all the rest that you see in the final results. Each category has some of the most popular choices with a box next to it. If your choice doesn't appear, then there is a space for you to write in your choice. That write in space gives you the freedom to vote for anything you want. You only get one vote per category. Those choices get tallied and figured into a percent. The highest percent wins the category.

Part 2 of the ballot is your favorite steel and wooden coasters. This part is all write ins. You write in your favorite top 10 wooden coasters and your top 10 steel coasters. These results are tallied by a point system. Your #1 wooden and steel coasters receive 10 points, your #2 receives 9 points, your #3 receives 8 points, etc. Your have the freedom to vote for any coasters. At the end the points are added up, then the coasters are ranked by how many points they have accumulated on all the ballots. That's what those numbers mean that are placed near the name of the coaster in the final results.

I personally do not vote for any coaster that I haven't ridden or any park that I have never visited. I'm sure some people do. I'm not a water park guy, so I leave those categories blank. This year we rode 3 new rides for 2012, before the deadline. Those were X Flight, Verbolten, and Apocalypse. We voted for X Flight. We haven't ridden Skyrush, Leviathan, or Wild Eagle. Therefore we won't vote for those coasters. From the popularity of this thread, I think you guys should get involved. I know most of you would have a lot of fun with it. At least try it once

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/13/12 8:47:36 PM
frontrow said:

There are a number of categories like best park, best new ride, best carousel, best food, and all the rest that you see in the final results. Each category has some of the most popular choices with a box next to it. If your choice doesn't appear, then there is a space for you to write in your choice. That write in space gives you the freedom to vote for anything you want. You only get one vote per category. Those choices get tallied and figured into a percent. The highest percent wins the category.

Part 2 of the ballot is your favorite steel and wooden coasters. This part is all write ins. You write in your favorite top 10 wooden coasters and your top 10 steel coasters. These results are tallied by a point system. Your #1 wooden and steel coasters receive 10 points, your #2 receives 9 points, your #3 receives 8 points, etc. Your have the freedom to vote for any coasters. At the end the points are added up, then the coasters are ranked by how many points they have accumulated on all the ballots. That's what those numbers mean that are placed near the name of the coaster in the final results.

I personally do not vote for any coaster that I haven't ridden or any park that I have never visited. I'm sure some people do. I'm not a water park guy, so I leave those categories blank. This year we rode 3 new rides for 2012, before the deadline. Those were X Flight, Verbolten, and Apocalypse. We voted for X Flight. We haven't ridden Skyrush, Leviathan, or Wild Eagle. Therefore we won't vote for those coasters. From the popularity of this thread, I think you guys should get involved. I know most of you would have a lot of fun with it. At least try it once

How do you become able to vote? Do you have to be a member of one of the clubs or can anyone vote?

And I think there should be categories for worst coasters too - that would be hilarious! I bet there would be some coasters that would make both the best and the worst lists just based on the opinions on this forum alone.

Jen

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Katie Katie Profile at 9/13/12 8:58:24 PM
You have to be well traveled as in riding over 200 different roller coasters. Just email Gary Slade and ask to be included in next years ballots. If you get one, you are good to go.
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/13/12 9:44:59 PM
I just e-mailed Mr. Slade. It'd be way cool to be selected to participate!

Mike

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 9/14/12 6:21:08 AM
I think that it's good that only well traveled people should get to vote. 200 coasters does seem a little high though. Some try to squeeze 3 parks in one day because they have never been to that area before. They only ride the best things in each place and then move on. They have been to 50 parks, but have only ridden two boomerangs, three mine trains, and no kiddie rides. Their coaster count is 155.
I try to ride everything; my count is very close to 300. If what everyone else thinks is a great ride is my number 40, keep in mind that there are 254 below that. I may rank Storm Runner lower than you. Five SLCs, six stand ups, seven small Arrow loopers, fifteen wild mice, and thirty-four family rides are still miles below that.
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/14/12 7:38:51 AM
frontrow said:

MABrider said:

chitlins73 said:

Mike B.

Just to be clear, I participated in this poll for years, I know how it is set up.
I don't know the exact process they use to send initial ballots out to first time participants, but they keep coming every year after that.

It was cool to participate, but as happens to me after a while I lose interest in the process after time* for differing reasons so a couple years ago I simply stopped filling out the ballot.
I expect next year I won't receive one.

Mike B.

* like not writing TRs anymore and not ranking my favorite coasters (too many of those)

Mike B.
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by squirrels at 9/16/12 10:10:45 AM
So if I'm reading you right, a lot of the coaster ratings are based on ridership, correct?

That could explain why I305 isn't higher on the list. I don't think KD draws as many coaster-riders as some other parks. It only really has one big "draw" coaster.

I'm a little stumped by Kingda Ka being so low on the list compared to TTD. I guess I'd say I prefer TTD because of the lap-restraint and the presentation but Kingda Ka is virtually the same ride and DOES go higher and faster, and Great Adventure is not hurting for population. I wonder if Kingda Ka's legendary downtime is finally catching up to it??

SkyRush is brand new...not as many people have ridden it, so it doesn't surprise me that it's low on the list. The pain from the lap restraints is probably a big factor as well, and some people argue that the coaster is too short. I like SkyRush a lot. Between the "ejector" feeling and the overall intensity, it may even be up in my top 10. In fact, it's the only coaster that I have ever reached a point with where I can't ride it again in the same day. (Has anyone else greyed out on it??) But I can see where people would NOT put it at the top of their lists.

El Toro deserves the #1 woodie spot. Hands down. Intamin did with wood what most people thought wood couldn't do. I'm glad I could fit my spider-legs under those restraints. :p

As far as MF...you can build a standout roller coaster. You can build a well-rounded coaster. But to build a well-rounded standout roller coaster, and to do it WITHOUT any inversions or fancy launches...that's a statement. Personally, I think even the placement of the ride (hanging out over the Sandusky bay and catching that sea breeze as you ascend) makes a big difference in the experience. CP wanted to make a statement for the new millenium, and that's exactly what they did.

I guess the bottom line is that everyone likes something different in a coaster. I never saw what the big deal was with Nitro. But then, I said the same thing about Magnum XL-200 the first time I rode it, and after a few more rides it grows on you...I think if I rode Nitro today I'd have a different opinion. (I wish SkyRush had the Nitro clamshell instead of the femur-bender)

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/16/12 8:51:08 PM
I have to disagree about Kings Dominion only having one big draw coaster.I would have to say Kings Dominion is right up there with any other Cedar Fair park in the chain for the most balanced roller coaster lineup! Not really one dud coaster in the park.Cedar Point may beat out Kings Dominion but not by much.The only type coaster that most of these corporate parks needs is a great wooden coaster.Kings Dominion And Cedar Point could use a GCI or Gravity Group coaster.And one other thing squirrels.You say El Toro is #1 hands down? Have you ever been on the mighty Voyage???
Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/16/12 9:40:51 PM
squirrels said:

I'm a little stumped by Kingda Ka being so low on the list compared to TTD. I guess I'd say I prefer TTD because of the lap-restraint and the presentation but Kingda Ka is virtually the same ride and DOES go higher and faster, and Great Adventure is not hurting for population. I wonder if Kingda Ka's legendary downtime is finally catching up to it??

I think that has a lot to do with the perception of people of Six Flags going just a little higher and a little faster with essentially the same coaster and thinking it was a cheap way to take the record and people generally favoring Cedar Fair to SF. I agree though - they should be MUCH closer together.

SkyRush is brand new...not as many people have ridden it, so it doesn't surprise me that it's low on the list. The pain from the lap restraints is probably a big factor as well, and some people argue that the coaster is too short. I like SkyRush a lot. Between the "ejector" feeling and the overall intensity, it may even be up in my top 10. In fact, it's the only coaster that I have ever reached a point with where I can't ride it again in the same day. (Has anyone else greyed out on it??) But I can see where people would NOT put it at the top of their lists.

How can a coaster you can only ride once a day be in your top 10? Doesn't make sense to me. I wholeheartedly agree about the restraints. The ones on Manta in Sea World San Diego are very similar but the pressure is on your hip area and it is quite comfortable (note to self, write that damn TR already! LOL!)

El Toro deserves the #1 woodie spot. Hands down. Intamin did with wood what most people thought wood couldn't do. I'm glad I could fit my spider-legs under those restraints. :p

I couldn't agree more. I was there today and after a ride on ET and thinking about the discussion on here I cannot think of any other coaster, wood or steel, that has that speed, intensity, air time and awesome ending (that last hill is spectacular) that ET does. It really is a very unique coaster.

Jen

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by alpengeistno3 at 9/17/12 1:49:00 AM
GoYanks34 said:

I couldn't agree more. I was there today and after a ride on ET and thinking about the discussion on here I cannot think of any other coaster, wood or steel, that has that speed, intensity, air time and awesome ending (that last hill is spectacular) that ET does. It really is a very unique coaster.

Jen

Ironically, the one you mentioned (with much contempt), Skyrush, has everything you mentioned. You just have to look past the pain to realize it :)

Paul

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/17/12 1:52:23 AM
I also agree with you Jen about KK and TDD. It does seem unfair to rank KK that far below TDD. And granted I've yet to ride TDD to feel the difference b/w the lapbar vs otsr, to me the otsr didn't really bother me much and I would think it makes the ride a little more reliable. In a sense, if people are such purists that TDD should be ranked so high because it was the original, then why isn't AC ranked well above Nitro?

chitlins73 said:

I have to disagree about Kings Dominion only having one big draw coaster.I would have to say Kings Dominion is right up there with any other Cedar Fair park in the chain for the most balanced roller coaster lineup! Not really one dud coaster in the park.Cedar Point may beat out Kings Dominion but not by much.The only type coaster that most of these corporate parks needs is a great wooden coaster.Kings Dominion And Cedar Point could use a GCI or Gravity Group coaster.And one other thing squirrels.You say El Toro is #1 hands down? Have you ever been on the mighty Voyage???

Exactly, KD has at least 3 big draws there. Perhaps they don't get the massive attention CP always gets, but I don't mind. I'm fortunate I don't have to wait 2 hrs for a ride on I305 compared to what I'd probably have to wait with MF. I really do hope they do build Volcano with a dual loading station to improve the rider flow. That is still the worst ride in the park as far as crowding goes. Most of the other rides are fairly good. Fof, well hard to say as it kinda seems hit or miss with the lines and waiting.

* This post was modified at 9/17/12 1:55:49 AM *

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 9/17/12 8:11:53 AM
squirrels said:

So if I'm reading you right, a lot of the coaster ratings are based on ridership, correct?

That could explain why I305 isn't higher on the list. I don't think KD draws as many coaster-riders as some other parks. It only really has one big "draw" coaster.

As far as MF...you can build a standout roller coaster. You can build a well-rounded coaster. But to build a well-rounded standout roller coaster, and to do it WITHOUT any inversions or fancy launches...that's a statement. Personally, I think even the placement of the ride (hanging out over the Sandusky bay and catching that sea breeze as you ascend) makes a big difference in the experience. CP wanted to make a statement for the new millenium, and that's exactly what they did.

I haven't been there since the last two coasters were put in but I would say that Volcano, Dominator, and Intimidator 305 are ALL big draws for coaster lovers at Kings Dominion. That park is my third favorite behind Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Cedar Point. I have only been on three bobsleds; Avalanche is a ton of fun. Although some of its theming has gone away, Back Lot Stunt is a nice small launcher. Flight of Fear has been trimmed to death killing it for me. Even Ricochet is a "large park" mouse so it has hills and is more fun. This place is missing the big draw wooden. How come the smaller Cedar Fair parks are the ones with the newer wicked woodens?

After a more resent trip to SF Great Adventure, Kingda Ka's restraints seem less bothersome than before. It and Top Thrill Dragster are a lot closer together on my list now. Having waited over two hours more than once for them to fix TTD, I don't see that KK's amount of downtime is a lot different.

Millennium Force is still very good after so many years. The thing that gets me is it keeps up its fast speed throughout the whole ride.

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by squirrels at 9/17/12 9:22:54 AM
GoYanks34 said:

How can a coaster you can only ride once a day be in your top 10? Doesn't make sense to me. I wholeheartedly agree about the restraints. The ones on Manta in Sea World San Diego are very similar but the pressure is on your hip area and it is quite comfortable (note to self, write that damn TR already! LOL!)

I can ride it maybe 3 times...after that it just wears me out. I get off on the intensity, though. That day was a particularly bad day personally for me, and SkyRush was probably the only coaster that really "reset" my state of mind.

Does Manta do the kind of "quick-twists" that SkyRush and some of the other modern Intamin coasters do? I really think that thigh-restraints in general, coupled with that twisting action, is what puts SR over the edge in terms of pain...if it weren't for that, it'd be a nonissue for me.

chitlins73 said:

Again, to each his own. Classic wooden coasters, to me, are more about nostalgia and ambiance than thrills...Grizzly, Hurler, and Rebel Yell don't do a whole lot for me. As far as I'm concerned, it'd be a better park if they demolished two of them to make room for a large GCI woodie.

Backlot Stunt Coaster is a half-step up from a flat-ride. And a lot of their other steelies are 80s relics...Anaconda is about to shake itself right off the track.

Not to mention that the park's theming is pretty much designed to pitch Paramount's movies...without that license, everything in the park looks out of place.

I feel like KD has 2 1/2 decent coasters...I305, Dominator, and the first half of Volcano. I don't think it begins to compare to a 6FGAdv or Cedar Point, though.

I have not been on Voyage, and based on what I saw on Wikipedia (big first drop, steeply-banked turns), it does look like something I'd be into. I don't know how it'd step up to El Toro, though...El Toro has ridiculous height, speed, and angle of descent. I remember circling around toward the first drop, looking down and thinking, "can a wooden coaster even DO this safely??"

* This post was modified at 9/17/12 9:27:36 AM *

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/17/12 1:49:53 PM
Manta seemed very smooth to me. The only uncomfortable part of the ride continues to be the pretzel loop. Other than that, very comfortable.

I agree with you about building a decent GCI coaster over Hurler and Grizzly. Maybe then they can build an entrance that's easily findable (perhaps the area where Hypersonic's station is) :)

Obviously it's unrealistic to expect KD to be coaster heavy like SFGAdv and CP, but I think it's part of KD's charm that it feels like a 'small' park but has some big coasters there. What good is having 15 big coasters if you can barely ride them all in a single day?

* This post was modified at 9/17/12 1:55:33 PM *

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/17/12 4:01:47 PM
squirrels said:

GoYanks34 said:

I can ride it maybe 3 times...after that it just wears me out. I get off on the intensity, though. That day was a particularly bad day personally for me, and SkyRush was probably the only coaster that really "reset" my state of mind.

Does Manta do the kind of "quick-twists" that SkyRush and some of the other modern Intamin coasters do? I really think that thigh-restraints in general, coupled with that twisting action, is what puts SR over the edge in terms of pain...if it weren't for that, it'd be a nonissue for me.

chitlins73 said:

Again, to each his own. Classic wooden coasters, to me, are more about nostalgia and ambiance than thrills...Grizzly, Hurler, and Rebel Yell don't do a whole lot for me. As far as I'm concerned, it'd be a better park if they demolished two of them to make room for a large GCI woodie.

Backlot Stunt Coaster is a half-step up from a flat-ride. And a lot of their other steelies are 80s relics...Anaconda is about to shake itself right off the track.

Not to mention that the park's theming is pretty much designed to pitch Paramount's movies...without that license, everything in the park looks out of place.

I feel like KD has 2 1/2 decent coasters...I305, Dominator, and the first half of Volcano. I don't think it begins to compare to a 6FGAdv or Cedar Point, though.

I have not been on Voyage, and based on what I saw on Wikipedia (big first drop, steeply-banked turns), it does look like something I'd be into. I don't know how it'd step up to El Toro, though...El Toro has ridiculous height, speed, and angle of descent. I remember circling around toward the first drop, looking down and thinking, "can a wooden coaster even DO this safely??"

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/17/12 4:05:31 PM
Well squirrels.....all I can say is that if you live for intense coasters then Voyage will blow you away!!!! It is like a workout!! It is like being on El Toro twice.The intensity is like no other coaster I have ever been on. Also has 24 seconds of airtime and just the the craziest lateral g's you could imagine!!! I think you would love it!!

* This post was modified at 9/17/12 4:06:30 PM *

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/17/12 6:57:30 PM
squirrels said:

GoYanks34 said:

No - Manta is a family coaster and while it was OK, it's nothing to write home about. I enjoyed it for what it was but had no desire to re-ride. I just think the placement of the restraint on the hip area as opposed to directly on your mid-thigh is so much more comfortable. I think Phil may be talking about Manta in Orlando - I'm talking San Diego.

Jen

Re: 2012 Golden Ticket Awards Results by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/17/12 11:00:19 PM
Oh, that's right. Silly me, I totally forgot about the San diego SW. In that case nm. When someone mentions Manta, I automatically assume the flying coaster in Orlando.