Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point

Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
9/5/12 at
2:39:51 PM

I always try to hit a park on my birthday. If my b'day falls on a day when I can't do that, I'll try to do so the weekend preceding or following (or BOTH!!)

Well, this year, September 12th falls on a Wednesday :(

A colleague of mine requested the previous Friday and Monday to create a long weekend. I have seniority, and could have taken it from him, but that's not how I roll.

So I took off the 13th-18th (already off on the weekend) for some riding at parks I can't get to anytime I want.

I'll be at Kennywood on Saturday the 15th for the first time in more than 3 years..looking forward especially to some classic wood, my favorite indoor coaster, and some Bayern Kurve! I'll get my first rides on SkyRocket and (if the stars align, Black Widow.) I'm a bit disappointed that apparently Noah's Ark might not be open. Will also be likely meeting up with frontrow (Ken) from here on URC and whichever family members join him.

Sunday after Mass, I'm gonna drive to Cedar Point. Haven't been in a little over two years, since my front seat ride on MF w/ Jen (still one of my favorite individual laps on anything.) the only major rides I haven't been on are Windseeker, which I'm looking forward to, and Shoot The Rapids, which won't be open. I rode KD's Windseeker, but I expect CP's to be a better experience, just from the view of the park and Lake Erie. Cedar Point remains my favorite park, and the fact I've never been there that time of the year, and Halloweekends, were a big factor in the decision.

Sorry this is a bit longer than I expected when I started, but I'm excited about it. Health and financial issues prevented me from taking one of my patented, four-or-more park trips this summer. This jaunt won't be too steep. I have a discount Kennywood ticket waiting for me, a Platinum Cedar Fair pass, and need a motel for only one night..Motel 6, natch. Biggest layouts will be gas and food. I'll head home Monday.

If anyone wants to meet up at CP that Sunday, I'd welcome the company. And there will be a trip report..oh yes...there will. (Mom, Mike's threatening us again!!!)

* This post was modified at 9/7/12 1:10:12 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/5/12 4:22:30 PM
Happy Birthday, Mike! (a little ahead of time)

If I calculate correctly, you're 39, right? ;-)

Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/5/12 5:09:50 PM
Noah's Ark was open last weekend, except for the final room. You took the exit door instead of going into the room. Black widow was down the entire weekend. I stopped in guest relations and asked if it was closed for the remainder of the season or if it scheduled to reopen this year. They said it's a day to day thing. They think it will open next weekend, but they weren't able to guarantee that. I'll be at the park on Sunday, so I'll give you an update. The Raging Rapids are completely drained. It looks like that's closed for the season. Volcano was closed for the entire weekend, but they were testing it on Monday. Can't wait to meet you Mike. Hopefully the weather is nice and the crowds are small.
Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by squirrels at 9/5/12 6:28:12 PM
If there's any way you can swing it (and it doesn't sound like you can from your itinerary, but just in case...), try to go to CP on Friday night. Not only are the Halloweekend hauntings that much more effective, but high school football season is starting up, which means all the kids will be at games and not at the park.

If you want to get as many rides as possible on all of your favorite CP coasters, Friday nights during Halloweekends is the time to go. Sat and Sun are usually packed.

Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/5/12 8:33:53 PM
RobLec said:

Happy Birthday, Mike! (a little ahead of time)

If I calculate correctly, you're 39, right? ;-)

IQ, maybe.

48, actually.

Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/5/12 8:37:45 PM
frontrow said:

Noah's Ark was open last weekend, except for the final room. You took the exit door instead of going into the room. Black widow was down the entire weekend. I stopped in guest relations and asked if it was closed for the remainder of the season or if it scheduled to reopen this year. They said it's a day to day thing. They think it will open next weekend, but they weren't able to guarantee that. I'll be at the park on Sunday, so I'll give you an update. The Raging Rapids are completely drained. It looks like that's closed for the season. Volcano was closed for the entire weekend, but they were testing it on Monday. Can't wait to meet you Mike. Hopefully the weather is nice and the crowds are small.

I'll just keep my fingers (and toes and eyes) crossed for Black Widow. I don't remember what the concept of the last room in Noah's Ark was. Volcano...i can't remember if that's an Enterprise or a Top Spin. I knew the Rapids..and I assume, the flume (POETRY!) would be closed.

Mike

Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/5/12 8:47:23 PM
squirrels said:

If there's any way you can swing it (and it doesn't sound like you can from your itinerary, but just in case...), try to go to CP on Friday night. Not only are the Halloweekend hauntings that much more effective, but high school football season is starting up, which means all the kids will be at games and not at the park.

If you want to get as many rides as possible on all of your favorite CP coasters, Friday nights during Halloweekends is the time to go. Sat and Sun are usually packed.

Squirrels, that was actually my original plan..Friday night and Saturday late morning-early afternoon at the Point, Kennywood Sunday. But most of the advice I've been given runs contradictory to yours, althogh some folks agreed with you. I figure Saturday and Sunday would be equally crowded at Kennywood (and there's a BOGO coupon on the site, good Sunday only,) so that'd be a wash. Friday's the first night of Halloweekends, so I anticipated more than the average fall Friday night crowd. My plans could still change..all I'd have to do is change my motel reservation, something I already did once..I had booked Friday night. I'm hoping some people will stay home to watch the Browns and Bengals :)

Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/6/12 11:50:00 AM
I was actually going to ask you if you wanted to hit SFGAdv on 9/16 but I guess you're unavailable, LOL! Have a great trip, hope your health holds up and you have less than a 20 minute wait on all rides (didn't say that would happen, just a B-day wish for you!).

And that ride on MF was a good one! I was there once since then but will definitely be going next year.

Jen

Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/6/12 12:20:33 PM
GoYanks34 said:

I was actually going to ask you if you wanted to hit SFGAdv on 9/16 but I guess you're unavailable, LOL! Have a great trip, hope your health holds up and you have less than a 20 minute wait on all rides (didn't say that would happen, just a B-day wish for you!).

Jen

Why, thank you, Doctor! I sure HOPE that happens!

You could always meet me at CP..we can visit your potential father-in-law ;)

Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/6/12 7:39:49 PM
beastmaster said:

frontrow said:

I'll just keep my fingers (and toes and eyes) crossed for Black Widow. I don't remember what the concept of the last room in Noah's Ark was. Volcano...i can't remember if that's an Enterprise or a Top Spin. I knew the Rapids..and I assume, the flume (POETRY!) would be closed.

Mike

Volcano used to be called The Enterprise. Log Jammer(flume) and Pittsburgh Plunge(shoot the shutes) were both open last weekend. As long as the weather is warm, they will both be open for the next couple weekends. The last room of Noah's Ark is a water attraction. They simulate water pipes breaking. Maybe they are retheming it. They had it boarded off.

Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by NotSo NotSo Profile at 9/7/12 1:48:37 AM
Good luck beastmaster, hope you have a good time.

Windseeker is great in the dark, i rode over and over in august. Its ok during the day, but with CP all lit up at night its pretty cool.

Hope your health stays up to the task, again good luck.

Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/7/12 2:18:47 AM
good luck beastmaster! it looks like since I am purchasing a new car within 2 weeks! (ordered it, just waiting) I will be missing out on this trip or a meet up.

I hope you have a stellar time and happy birthday or belated brithday. (must admit, this is a drunk psot) lol

have a good time! I expect a full report!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/7/12 9:20:24 AM
mugen828 said:

(must admit, this is a drunk psot) lol

Well, there's your rpoof! 100 rpoof, of course :)

Re: Post-Birthday Jaunt To Kennywood and Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/7/12 9:23:04 AM
Ken, I would be pleasantly and happily surprised and elated if we discover the Log Jammer, Volcano, Noah's Ark, and Black Widow all running one week from tomorrow!

Mike