Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Carnival Worker Killed In Long Island Ride Accident

Carnival Worker Killed In Long Island Ride Accident

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
9/3/12 at
1:30:16 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/carnival-worker-dies-hit-head-scat-ride-long-island-festival-article-1.1149910

I read a few articles about it, but got no feel for the type of ride. I never heard of a SCAT, but this article had a picture. Looks like a mini-Round-Up. One article said the ride was built in 1972!

Supposedly he was reaching underneath the ride to adjust an I-Pod that provides the music.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Carnival Worker Killed In Long Island Ride Accident by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 9/3/12 2:50:53 PM
beastmaster said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/carnival-worker-dies-hit-head-scat-ride-long-island-festival-article-1.1149910

I read a few articles about it, but got no feel for the type of ride. I never heard of a SCAT, but this article had a picture. Looks like a mini-Round-Up. One article said the ride was built in 1972!

Supposedly he was reaching underneath the ride to adjust an I-Pod that provides the music.

Mike

That's horrible.Bless him, and his family, and yeah, that does look like a round up.

Re: Carnival Worker Killed In Long Island Ride Accident by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/3/12 4:38:29 PM
That's a very sad story.
It is similar to a round-up - has 2 sides that spin and the main arm spins as well:

Jen

Re: Carnival Worker Killed In Long Island Ride Accident by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/3/12 7:21:42 PM
Very sad indeed. Sometimes people, esp young ones often make very risky and unwise decisions which unfortunately can result in tragic consequences. Scat has a deceivingly spacious circumference when in action; Offride, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near this thing while it's in motion.

The only difference between Scat and Scat 2 are the ornamental light decorations that are different on both types. I rode Scat 2 at Beech Bend; It had the most positive-G's (very intense) that I've experienced on a flatride, even more than round up flats; Fun for me, but it isn't exactly rerideable on the same day.

Here's it in action.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTIDYkYV1s8

* This post was modified at 9/4/12 1:54:58 AM *

Re: Carnival Worker Killed In Long Island Ride Accident by alpengeistno3 at 9/4/12 12:56:46 AM
No amount of money could have convinced me it was okay to walk under something like that while it is operating!! I suppose the guy was just doing his job, but there has to be some training here, if not some basic common sense.

Paul

Re: Carnival Worker Killed In Long Island Ride Accident *NM* by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/4/12 1:18:42 AM
^^^Agreed.