Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement

SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement

mugen828 mugen828 Profile

Posted:
8/30/12 at
8:26:17 AM

So, I saw picture on tumblr and thought it was fake. turns out it's not.



WHAT IN THE WORLD?!!? haha what do you guys think of this?

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by ktujon ktujon Profile at 8/30/12 9:46:30 AM
backwards launch is crazy especially if its not a boomerang coaster, if there multiple trains running I hope the backward launch doesn't collide with the train going foward, I know you never hear of trains colliding into each other but with a backwards launch it could be fatal if it ever happens
Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by skc2000 at 8/30/12 10:31:10 AM
Expedition everest at disneys animal kingdom goes both forwards & backwards & they have multiple trains.If it does go backwards it will probably arrive in one direction from a switching track then go the other direction after the track switches over the way that expedition everest does it.

skc2000

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/30/12 11:15:31 AM
You really don't think that the ride manufacturer knows how to keep trains from colliding? I can assure you that there is ZERO danger of trains colliding because of the backwards launch. It's not like the train launches backwards and continues the whole ride in reverse. It's backwards for just a couple of seconds before gravity takes you back for the 2nd forward launch, and at no point would the other train even begin to come close. It won't even launch until the second launch tunnel is cleared. It's not like they are children designing a bad coaster in Roller Coaster Tycoon.

There is no track switch. It's all one continuous track.

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by drachen drachen Profile at 8/30/12 11:50:23 AM
Rollercoaster_freak220 said:

There is no track switch. It's all one continuous track.

Which just goes against everything inside me...

I think this ride looks like a lot of fun. But because of the backward launch, and the 12 seater trains, it looks to be a bit of a nightmare from a capacity standpoint.

Cedar Point's new ride will do over 1700 people per hour. Full Throttle looks like it will have trouble breaking 700.

I love the outside loop element. What a great way to save money on steel, and to save space in the park. I'm sure we'll see more of that moving forward.

Now I have a pretty good list of new coasters to try at Magic Mountain. I haven't been on Tatsu, Apocalypse, Green Lantern, backwards Superman, and now Full Throttle.

Let alone my favorites of Viper, Ninja, Goliath, Colossus, Riddler, Revolution...

Speaking of Revolution, I was holding out hope that Magic Mountain would announce that Revolution was getting new trains and brakes like sooperdooperLooper at Hersheypark. That would be the greatest addition the park could make, in my opinion.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/30/12 3:32:01 PM
skc2000 said:

Expedition everest at disneys animal kingdom goes both forwards & backwards & they have multiple trains.If it does go backwards it will probably arrive in one direction from a switching track then go the other direction after the track switches over the way that expedition everest does it.


skc2000

But for everest, that uses gravity to let the train roll back instead of being launched. And as others said, there are no switches, and this is going to be a disaster as far as ride capacity goes as they will probably let the 2nd train go once the other train arrives outside the station.

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by alpengeistno3 at 8/30/12 8:04:56 PM
12 seat trains again?!?! You've got to be kidding me!! And at Magic Mountain? When is Six Flags going to learn that they can't move people on large profile rides like this only seating 12 people?

Oh wait a minute. Maybe they have learned...that 12 seat trains sell MORE FLASHPASSES.

Paul

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/30/12 8:17:03 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

12 seat trains again?!?! You've got to be kidding me!! And at Magic Mountain? When is Six Flags going to learn that they can't move people on large profile rides like this only seating 12 people?


Oh wait a minute. Maybe they have learned...that 12 seat trains sell MORE FLASHPASSES.

Paul

That'd be 18 seats there, Paul. 3 cars of 3 rows per train. But that's still not a whole lot better.

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/31/12 3:55:55 PM
Doesn't Revenge of the Mummy at the Universal parks go backwards and also from the same manufactuer (Premier Rides?)

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/31/12 5:27:16 PM
Great_Ump said:

Doesn't Revenge of the Mummy at the Universal parks go backwards and also from the same manufactuer (Premier Rides?)


Joe
Great_Ump


But for those they have a turntable as the tracks are not a complete circuit. I can only speak of the Florida version as the train makes a left to a dead end and reverses over the switch to a turntable for the launch. (I am assuming the switch is the circular type, so it is possible they could skip the dead end stop and the rotating turntable segments if the train made a right hand turn.)
So it never backs up on the same tracks as it will with this new ride.

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Tomes at 9/1/12 12:28:58 AM
First, I agree that it looks like a capacity nightmare (how's the new superman UF doing capacity-wise?)

But more importantly I want to point out that I'm disappointed. I thought it was going to be something like SFMM's answer to Macerick and I feel like its not even close! It's a short ride with basically 1 loop, 1 dive loop and 1 hill. Launching through a loop at 70mph doesn't impress me at all (a little faster than old shuttle loops) and how does it claim to be the fastest and tallest looping coaster when it's max speed is 70mph? It's clearly not the fastest looping coaster, with at least storm runner and griffon and iSpeed beating it as far as I know (I'm sure there are others) and at least 10-20 coaster tied with it (like both mr freezes, maverick, superman krypton coaster, SFMM's own viper, Sheikra and others). So what's the claim here? I think this year six flags took a cheap route and didn't add anything impressive, with maybe the exception of iron rattler depending on how it turns out.

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by skc2000 at 9/2/12 12:43:35 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Great_Ump said:

Doesn't Revenge of the Mummy at the Universal parks go backwards and also from the same manufactuer (Premier Rides?)


Joe
Great_Ump


But for those they have a turntable as the tracks are not a complete circuit. I can only speak of the Florida version as the train makes a left to a dead end and reverses over the switch to a turntable for the launch. (I am assuming the switch is the circular type, so it is possible they could skip the dead end stop and the rotating turntable segments if the train made a right hand turn.)
So it never backs up on the same tracks as it will with this new ride.

This might be a little off topic but since we are talking about turntables & going backwards i would like to share my expereince with a ride that i rode at six flags america 9 years ago in 2003.Now i haven,t been to SFA in 9 years years since 2003 but when i was there 9 years ago in 2003 they had a kind of water ride there called the typhoon sea coaster.This water.ride had a boat that went both forwards & backwards.The boat would leave the station going forward go up the 1st chain lift going forward where at the top of the 1st chain lift was a turntable which would turn the boat around backwards.It would then go down the drop backwards & enter a tunnel also backwards.At the end of the tunnel was another turntable where it would turn around & go forward from then on.It would then climb up the 2nd chain lift going forward.At the top of the 2nd chain lift was another turntable but the turntable at the top of the 2nd chain lift all it would do is turn the boat 90 degrees to the right & it would do the final splashdown going forward.I still remember the typhoon sea coaster from my last visit back in 2003.

Now even though i haven,t been there in 9 years since 2003 i heard that the typhoon sea coaster is not there anymore.I know it,s off topic but anyplace where i can ride that kind of water ride that goes both forwards & backwards?The typhoon sea coaster at SFA i really liked that ride alot & i wonder if there is a park that still has that kind of water ride.

skc2000

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/2/12 7:18:32 PM
Damn. A lot of skepticism about this ride form everyone here so far.

I think it might work out. But then again, this is SIX FLAGS CORP we're talking about. I will have to wait and see how this goes. There is another ride out there (non launch/complex) that reminded me of this ride, that ISN'T a total capacity nightmare, and that's Hollywood Rip Ride and Rocket at Universal Studios Orlando. That ride (from memory) has the same train length. Although now that I think about it...that ride has a conveyor belt like loading station, so they are literally getting people on asap.

Idk, I think this ride might be very well planned and can work out. We will have to see how the layout is really going to look on a map, instead of a video that is bits and pieces. Either way, this just furthers this park up on my destination list.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/2/12 8:28:57 PM
But the part about the reverse launching kinda prohibits them from sending the trains out close together. So to stay on the cautious side, I can't see them running the 2nd train till the first one is almost or just outside the station. If it was all forwards, then I could easily see them sending the 2nd train out before the 1st is close to the end of the ride.
RRR has like 4 'mcbs' to separate the trains, so not sure it can be compared to this. RRR can also be a capacity nightmare especially if they have to shut the ride down and cycle the trains. Thankfully it has been far better compared to when it first opened and had lines of over 2hrs.
Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/2/12 9:56:47 PM
skc2000:

Typhoon Sea Coaster is indeed gone. In its last incarnation, it was called Skull Mountain. It was probably my favorite flume-type ride, but I only got to ride it when all but the last turntable had been removed. My first two visits to the park, the ride was not operating

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 9/3/12 3:11:11 PM
beastmaster said:

skc2000:


Typhoon Sea Coaster is indeed gone. In its last incarnation, it was called Skull Mountain. It was probably my favorite flume-type ride, but I only got to ride it when all but the last turntable had been removed. My first two visits to the park, the ride was not operating

Mike

That commercial was creppy in a good way. wow, a Top hat, that's gotta be amazing...

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by skc2000 at 9/4/12 9:29:37 PM
beastmaster said:

skc2000:


Typhoon Sea Coaster is indeed gone. In its last incarnation, it was called Skull Mountain. It was probably my favorite flume-type ride, but I only got to ride it when all but the last turntable had been removed. My first two visits to the park, the ride was not operating

Mike

The typhoon sea coaster was the only water ride that i have ridden that had a turntable that turned the boat around.Are there any more rides like that around?I really liked that ride alot.Any other place where i can ride something like that?

skc2000

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Tomes at 9/5/12 10:33:43 AM
Just to get back to the topic real quick, nobody thinks it's odd that Six Flags is advertising this as the fastest looping roller coaster when it's in fact NOT?
Does it actually only go 70mph or is there a portion of the track where it goes 90, which is approximately the speed it would need to reach to claim the record?
Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/6/12 12:43:56 AM
^^^Good point, I can't disagree with ya. The only true Full Throttle record that can't disputed is that it's gonna have the largest vertical loop.

* This post was modified at 9/6/12 3:43:15 AM *

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Tomes at 9/6/12 10:27:01 AM
Yep, they will have the tallest vertical loop.. But isn't it illegal to falsely-advertise? Will there be a big uproar, or will they take back that statement?
Or maybe the 70mph launch ISN'T actually the fastest part of the ride, and there really is a portion of the ride that will break the record, at least for a looping coaster?
Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by looper77 at 9/6/12 1:13:18 PM
While Full Throttle looks fun, it doesn't seem like anything that special. I'd rather have Log Jammer than Full Throttle. Magic Mountain is practically a park of nothing but coasters. The non-coaster ride selection is awful. And I hate this trend of parks removing water rides. Although the award for worst offender for that goes to Hersheypark for removing White Water Canyon.

Not saying I wouldn't mind riding Full Throttle, but Magic Mountain's skyline is all coasters, and I liked the woodsy setting of Log Jammer, one of the nicer areas in the park.

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/6/12 5:25:05 PM
looper77 said:

Magic Mountain is practically a park of nothing but coasters.

but Magic Mountain's skyline is all coasters

LOL

You are aware that this is Ultimate Roller Coaster?

;-)

Mike B.

Mike B.
Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/6/12 5:30:43 PM
A coaster skyline is sexy to me!!!!!
Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by looper77 at 9/7/12 2:35:20 AM
MABrider said:

looper77 said:

Magic Mountain is practically a park of nothing but coasters.

but Magic Mountain's skyline is all coasters

LOL

You are aware that this is Ultimate Roller Coaster?

;-)

Mike B.

LOL! yes, but when a park is nothing BUT roller coasters, it does not feel like a full park experience to me. I'd rather go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg with only a handful of coasters, than Magic Mountain with it's arsenal of coasters.

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/7/12 3:36:42 AM
Doesn't surprise me how 'the rich keeps getting richer and the poor keeps getting poorer'. Poor ol' SFA as they get a 2nd hand coaster and SFMM gets yet another coaster on top of all the coasters they have.

Not to get to ot, but wasn't there a rumor years back that SFMM had offers for that land for some land development? Seems amazing considering how many coasters that park has that it could be anything but a park.

* This post was modified at 9/7/12 3:37:37 AM *

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/7/12 7:13:42 AM
looper77 said:

LOL! yes, but when a park is nothing BUT roller coasters, it does not feel like a full park experience to me.

What kind of additional rides would you want at SFMM, or is it all about the "beautiful woodsy BGW-esque landscaping that SFMM is lacking to you?

With that being said, I'm one to think that SFMM should be nearing, or even at it's 'top out' phase for any more additional coasters any time soon.
Personally I think that SFMM has plenty of hidden beautiful nice areas, like the area around Samurai Summit, and Six Flags Plaza with the waterfall, which is very picturesque IMO.

At first my first reaction was to agree that SFMM has nothing but coasters, but then I did a lil' research (a few rides I didn't know that was there on my trip LOL) SFMM has these key non-coaster rides.

Carousel
Chance Yoyo
Pirate Ship
Scrambler
Bumper Cars
A Himalaya type flat
Upcharge Go Carts
Log Flume
Round Up
Observation tower
River Rapids
Lex Luthor
Upcharge Sky coaster
Other kiddie rides

Now that's definitely no flatride paradise, and SFMM's flats are very typical status quo stuff, but so is 95 percent of the other parks out there. I didn't ride any SFMM flats (Luthor was down), because they all were 'been there done that', just like the majority of other parks out there. Huss Giant Frisbees are like the 'Dive coaster of flats', everyone seems scared to add them despite their success.

BGW's flats were okay, but I wasn't terribly blown away. I'm dying the get to Canada's Wonderland which does have unique flats, and not to mention that impressive coaster line-up.

Sorry about rambling.

* This post was modified at 9/7/12 7:27:22 AM *

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/7/12 8:51:01 AM
Overbanked said:

Sorry about rambling.

But weren't you born a Ramblin' Man?

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/7/12 8:38:33 PM
^^^ www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x28jaeyX2s

LOL

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by looper77 at 9/7/12 10:15:28 PM
Overbanked said:

looper77 said:

LOL! yes, but when a park is nothing BUT roller coasters, it does not feel like a full park experience to me.

What kind of additional rides would you want at SFMM, or is it all about the "beautiful woodsy BGW-esque landscaping that SFMM is lacking to you?

With that being said, I'm one to think that SFMM should be nearing, or even at it's 'top out' phase for any more additional coasters any time soon.
Personally I think that SFMM has plenty of hidden beautiful nice areas, like the area around Samurai Summit, and Six Flags Plaza with the waterfall, which is very picturesque IMO.

At first my first reaction was to agree that SFMM has nothing but coasters, but then I did a lil' research (a few rides I didn't know that was there on my trip LOL) SFMM has these key non-coaster rides.

Carousel
Chance Yoyo
Pirate Ship
Scrambler
Bumper Cars
A Himalaya type flat
Upcharge Go Carts
Log Flume
Round Up
Observation tower
River Rapids
Lex Luthor
Upcharge Sky coaster
Other kiddie rides

Now that's definitely no flatride paradise, and SFMM's flats are very typical status quo stuff, but so is 95 percent of the other parks out there. I didn't ride any SFMM flats (Luthor was down), because they all were 'been there done that', just like the majority of other parks out there. Huss Giant Frisbees are like the 'Dive coaster of flats', everyone seems scared to add them despite their success.

BGW's flats were okay, but I wasn't terribly blown away. I'm dying the get to Canada's Wonderland which does have unique flats, and not to mention that impressive coaster line-up.

Sorry about rambling.

LOL, no need to apologize, the only thing that is sorry is that tired list of non-coaster rides. On that list, there is only one that has been added within the last 10 years (not counting up-charges) and that's Lex Luthor which opened this year!

Almost that entire list of flats is from the 1980s and prior. There is not one single modern flat ride there (unless I'v missed one). Not one Frisbee, Top Spin, etc...

And not to get off topic or bash the park, but the magic has faded from that mountain. Many areas of the park are dead and lifeless, and haven't seen a lick of paint in probably 20 years.

Re: SIx Flags Magic Mountain: *NEW* Full Throttle annoucement by John_Knotts John_Knotts Profile at 9/8/12 2:28:37 AM
No paint? DC Universe? Not to mention, the entire Superman tower. Do they need flats? Absolutely. But I think they also deserve credit for completely revitalizing that faded tower into 2 very good rides.

I think it would be nice if they added a new area every time they open a new attraction, as it looks like they are doing with the Log Jammer area.

Speaking of Log Jammer, it is my understanding that Log Jammer was coming out regardless of whether they added a new ride or not. The ride was old, outdated and incredible expensive to maintain. According to the director of operations, it was the biggest energy hog in the entire park.

I loved that ride, but I also understand it had served it's purpose, and was done for. I hope there are plans for a new water ride in the future.

As for Full Throttle, I think the ride looks great. I'm a big Premier launch fan, and it's good to finally see another "lap bar" only ride in the park! :)

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.