Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Your first roller coaster

Your first roller coaster

Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile

Posted:
8/24/12 at
6:35:17 PM

Now that I'm positive most of us are used to roller coasters, and not scared of them, I think it's time we rewind. Let's go back to the first day you ever rode a non-kiddie roller coaster.What were your thoughts?, what coaster was it?, were you scared?, what were your thoughts during the ride, and finally, what were you thoughts after the ride.

Here's mine:

First Major Roller Coaster:

Name: Two-Face: The Flip Side
My Age at the time: a quarter to 10 years
Date: July 2006
Model: Vekoma Invertigo

My Thoughts(Before Ride): I was very scared, walking through the queue , The ride was going through the Cobra Roll, it was loud, and people were screaming. The line was short, so it was almost a walk-on, I had to wait for the train to come back that's all, and I had no time to think, what made it worse, was that I found out I was about to end up going backwards for the first phase of the ride because my sister that's 2 years older than me was scared, and wanted to ride with my cousin, and also, The gates didn't tell you what direction you'd go first, so I ended up going into a backwards one on accident. It's good that Dorney labeled that on Stinger for little kids who are scared.

During the Ride: My cousin knew I had the fear of falling off, and when the gates opened, we took our shows off. In attempt to make me feel better, my cousin went up to one of the ride op's and asked, "has anybody ever fell of of this before?", the ride op. shook his head no. I was still scared. My palms were so sweaty from being scared and my hands felt slippery on the handle bar. The ride op's came and checked our restraints, and I w asked him, "Are you sure it's tight enough?", he laughed and said yes. The scariest part is when they said "All Clear, This Batch, enjoy your ride on Two-Face!" The mechanical floor scared me when it moved, and the train pulled out of the station, as we were going up the first spike, I was thinking, "Relax, you'll be fine,if everybody else got off normal, then so will I!",and then I got scared . the train pulled tot the top, and was waiting to be released down the first spike, I heard one last noise, and the train dropped, and the force moved my body in weird ways, and I was scared!!!, On each inversion on the Cobra Roll, my head would hit the restraints. The ride got caught on the 2nd spike, and began making it's way up the second spike. Except there was only a split second to breath because it dropped again, and the force felt cool this time, and I laughed at my sister's face, I actually liked that phase. When the train returned to the first spike, and the brakes caught the train.

After the ride: I was relieved, and Loved it!!!, I rode it 2 more times!!!

Please share your story too!!, I'm pretty sure they are funny and interesting!

* This post was modified at 8/24/12 6:42:59 PM *

Re: Your first roller coaster by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/24/12 8:44:07 PM
My first rollercoaster ride was the front seat of The Little Dipper at Kennywood when I was 5. It was a junior woodie, but if you find the you tube videos, you'll see how fast it would fly around the track. I was scared to death, but after the first drop, I became a coaster enthusiast. After that ride, I went directly to The Racer, then The Jack Rabbit, then to.The Thunderbolt. Even before that, when I was to short to ride, I remember how I would watch rollercoasters fly by at Kennywood. They were just so impressive. I was memorized by them.

In 1989 I visited Cedar Point for the first time. I was 13 years old and waited 3 1/2 hours for the new Magnum XL200. After that ride my passion grew stronger for coasters. In 2000 I waited 4 hours for the new Millennium Force. That ride inspired me to start traveling the country, in search of a coaster better than Millennium Force.

So those are my 3 most memorable moments of riding coasters. With 45 parks, 274 coasters, and countless life long memories, it all started with The Little Dipper. Magnum and Millennium fueled that passion. When I was 16, I swore I would travel the country someday, riding coasters. I've kept that promise to myself, and now my kids are enjoying it with me.

Re: Your first roller coaster by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/25/12 1:56:17 AM
My first coaster (of any kind; they really didn't have many kiddie coasters back in those days, at least anywhere my parents happened to take me) was Space Mountain at WDW. Now most everyone considers that to be a rather mild experience, especially by today's standards, but to my six year old self, it was sheer terror! Space Mountain had just opened that year, and my mom took me to the park with her best friend, whom we had gone to Florida to visit for a week. I don't think I had ever even been to an amusement park before (well, there was this quasi-amusement park in Ellicott City, Maryland, called The Enchanted Forest, that my parents and friends' parents would take me and my friends to when were little, but they really didn't have any actual rides but just lots of themed stuff that kids could play on and climb in, what little I recall of it).

Anyway, I had no idea what exactly SM was, nor apparently did my mom's friend, even though WDW was her "home" park (which was a moot point because she wasn't into that kind of stuff other than to take hers and other kids there). My mom of course didn't know either, and eventually realized her mistake of wearing a wig that day (wigs were very popular in the 70's). Well, as we waited in line (don't know how long, maybe a half hour or so), we saw all these ominous warnings about not riding (that are standard on all rides today, but being the park noobs that we all were back then we found it ominous) if you have various health conditions. Finally we got to board and I'll never forget the clanking sound of the anti-roll-backs as I innocently awaited what was beyond the top of the lift hill (which I had no idea it was a lift hill - I knew what a woodie was but this just didn't compute that way). Well, I could have swore up and down that there were tons of inversions in there and the ride had a top speed of 100mph! That had to be the scariest moment of that year of my life! The only respite from the terror was looking over (what little I could see; like now it was almost pitch-black in there other than the comets and stars projected on the ceiling) and seeing my mom desperately trying to hold her wig on with one hand and grasp the bar with the other! So yeah, that day in January (or perhaps it was Feb, either way it was winter and I was taking a week off of school) of 76', my mom almost lost her wig on Space Mountain.

Once the ride had ended, I pried my clawed hands and fingers off of the lap bar and left SM behind, but sadly I took something else with me when I left WDW that day that I never had before - a severe case of coaster phobia.

So needless to say, my first coaster experience was a very scary one, and just about kept me away from coasters for over 20 years of my life.

The 2nd coaster I ever rode was Rebel Yell, and the only reason I rode it was that my cousin really wanted to ride it and we came to an agreement that we would ride if my mom went with us. Well, she sneaked out the chicken exit and left us to face the RY alone. Well, it was too late to back out and we rode it. I white-knuckled it but I didn't find it to be too awfully terrifying. At that point the only coasters I would absolutely refuse to ride were those that went upside down, though I was fond of none of them, even the woodies. My fear got so bad at one point I didn't even want to look at tv commercials for new coasters!

My third coaster was Wild One at SFA (when it was Adventure world), like the RY I managed to get thru it, but still found it to be a bit scary.

Finally my forth memorable coaster was the Mind Eraser at SFA (on the same day that I rode the Wild One just before) - my first inverted and the coaster that finally broke my phobia (though it didn't break my head - it was pretty new back then and wasn't as rough as some of the SLCs can be). Someone dragged me onto it and I thought I was gonna die but once I got past the fear I found I actually enjoyed coasters and set about making up for the 21 years of my life that were coaster-less. I think I've done pretty good - I'm up to 187 now and have been able to get to visit parks that are new to me and coasters I've never ridden at least every couple of years.

* This post was modified at 8/25/12 2:00:45 AM *

Re: Your first roller coaster by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/25/12 5:27:36 PM
KD's Grizzly when I was eight.

I was terrified and crying when I got off the ride.

I didn't ride another coaster until I rode Mind Eraser at then Adventure World (SFA) in 1995 when I was 15 years old.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Your first roller coaster by skc2000 at 8/26/12 6:04:43 AM
My 1st coaster was rolling thunder at SFGADV back in 1981 right after i turned 15(i am 46 now).Boy was i scared.The passenger sitting next to me told me it,s not that scary & i will be fine.I rode the right side first followed by the left side.When the coaster was at the top of the lift hill & beginning to go down the 1st drop i said to myself why did i get in line for such a ride.After riding the right side i saw it was not so bad & i got in line & rode the left side & that,s when i became a coaster enthusiast.

skc2000

Re: Your first roller coaster by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/26/12 7:10:54 AM
My first coaster was Big Apple(RIP) at Astroland when I was around 7 or 8 (either 84' or 85').

My second coaster (first adult coaster) over a decade later was the shuttle looper Sidewinder at Elitch Gardens; I was 21 in the Army stationed at Ft Carson, CO.

Here's another old thread concerning ones first coasters.

www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/194652

Re: Your first roller coaster by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 8/26/12 8:01:04 AM
I am older than most of you so I really don't know. I would guess that
something at Cedar Point or Kings Island would have been the first.
At CP, Blue Streak, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, or one of the Wildcat's.
At KI, Racer or Scooby Doo (now Woodstock Express). I moved out of
Ohio to Florida. The first down here was most likely Space Mountain.

* This post was modified at 8/26/12 8:08:21 AM *

Re: Your first roller coaster by glutton glutton Profile at 8/26/12 1:04:02 PM
I don't really remember for certain, but I think mine was probably Space Mountain, since I grew up in LA and went to Disneyland pretty much every year. I'm not sure what the height requirements were, but I think rode Space Mountain by the time I was 7 or 8 years old. I'm pretty sure I went on Matterhorn prior to that, but does that really count as a roller coaster?
I also remember a coaster that used to be at Magic Mountain called Mountain Express, that I rode when I was under the age of 10.
Re: Your first roller coaster by jlv8 jlv8 Profile at 8/26/12 1:55:21 PM
Screamin' Eagle (Six Flags St Louis) at age 3, I was a really tall kid so I met the height requirement and my mom dragged me on the ride because she figured I would like it

* This post was modified at 8/26/12 11:56:25 PM *

Re: Your first roller coaster by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/26/12 3:03:47 PM
'Drugged'? lol, damn, your mom is hardcore... But if you meant dragged, then ok.
-
As for me I guess my first major coaster (with inversions) I went on was Rockin Roller coaster at Disney's hollywood studios and that launch just scared me.

Few years later in 2003-4, my cousins dragged me up on the fire dragon of Dueling Dragons at IOA and that was when I finally got used to riding a coaster with a fairly high lift hill. It would take me at least another year when I finally braved the Hulk.

The rest is history as I've been on much more extreme coasters since (Kingda Ka, I305 to name 2).

* This post was modified at 8/26/12 3:07:12 PM *

Re: Your first roller coaster by ericthewanderer at 8/27/12 1:04:23 PM
Technically my first coaster was Space Mountain in Florida.I have relatives in Fla.,so as a kid I got to go to WDW almost every year.I remember when I was like 5 or 6 going on Space Mt. because it was the new ride that year.When the ride was over I was so shook up I didn't go on again until about 5 years later;I remember thinking the ride would actually send me out to Space!!!On a side note,it wasn't until like 20 years later that my mom realized that Space Mt. was an actual coaster!!She seemed to think it was just a "simulator" of sorts!!
The first coaster(s) I rode that I knew were coasters were the Scooby Doo and then the Rebel Yell at KD a couple of years after my Space Mt. incident.I seemed to handle Scooby Doo alright,but Rebel Yell overwhelmed me-it was like "too much,too soon".
The first coaster that I LOVED was-strangley enough-Grizzly at KD.I went to KD with my brother and some neighbors when Grizzly was the new ride.A bunch of us got in line for Grizzly,but halfway through-everyone else chickened out on me!!!I stayed though and chose the front seat.I remember being somewhat concerend because of being "traumatized" by RY a few years earlier,but I rode anyway-and I'm glad I did!Grizzly was the ride that made me an ACEr-back before I even knew what an ACEr was!
Re: Your first roller coaster by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/27/12 3:56:39 PM
theRock-steel said:

I am older than most of you so I really don't know.

Hey, that's my line! Seriously, they say your memory is the second thing to go, and I can't remember what was first.

But yes I truly am much older than most of you here. KI, KD and WDW were built while I was overseas in the military. My first roller coaster was the Shooting Star at Cincinnati's Coney Island, which is now called "old Coney". I was about eight years old. I was always fascinated by the guy who pulled the long wooden lever to release the train, then could only hear people screaming. I pestered my Mom to let me ride it. Eventually she took me on it (I don't know if she even wanted to ride it) but she says when we returned to the station I was as white as a sheet.

I do remember bits and pieces of that first ride. The Star was torn down when the park moved out to the boonies to become Kings Island. Watch this video on youtube... the Star is featured between the 2 and 3 minute mark, then reappears near the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMhQYaRo9A

Coney Island pre-1971

Re: Your first roller coaster by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/28/12 1:11:58 PM
I literally do not remember my first coaster.

I'm older, too, but not as old as RobLec!
:-)

Mike B.

Mike B.
Re: Your first roller coaster by squirrels at 8/30/12 8:31:02 AM
If I recall correctly, it was The Comet at HersheyPark.

Funny how at that age, something that seems relatively mild now can seem pretty darned intense. The "air-time" felt very impressive.

I think I rode SDL on the same trip, which nobody expected, and that was my favorite for a long time. I even had the T-shirt.

Re: Your first roller coaster by d-lo775 d-lo775 Profile at 8/30/12 12:40:34 PM
My first coaster was the Screechin' Eagle at Americana Amusement Park in Monroe/Middletown (depends who you ask), Ohio in 1981. Unfortunately, it was demolished last year. I did drive down Route 4 the winter before its demise just to see it one last time.

Although, Kings Island has always been the destination park in the Cincinnati area in my lifetime. Americana (a.k.a. LeSourdsville Lake) will always be the park that has the best childhood memories for me. I do regret not going again when they opened briefly for the 2002 season. Maybe it was for the best that I didn't, as I've said before, memories of the past are often better than reality of what it truly was.

Seeing the park and coaster featured on the History channel's, Life After People, a few years ago made me go through a wide variety of emotions. First I was excited to get one last look inside the park. Next I felt really happy reminiscing about all the trips and fun that I had there during the 80s. Then seeing everything in disrepair and eroding away, I felt very sad. Finally, when the show was over and I realized that I would never be able to visit the park again, I was so mad. Now, I guess a lot of my feelings are those of jealousy of those who grew up in the Cincy area with Coney Island.

I know Old Coney is no where close to what it once was, but at least it is still standing and is a nice, small, family park. Meanwhile, unless I want to go shopping for a $100,000+ RV, I'll never get to visit my favorite childhood park again.

I don't hold any hard feelings for the current owner, Jerry Couch, I understand. He tried to make a run at it and invested quite a bit on the park when he bought the property. He had no previous experience running an amusement park, so he hired an outside company to manage it and they went bankrupt, leaving him with a significant loss of money. With KI only 10 miles away, he would never be able to compete as a thrill park, he just couldn't afford it. Old Coney, while a over a 1/2 hour away, had already filled the void of a smaller park that attracted families with smaller children. Plus the pool at Coney made Americana's pool look pretty lame. Sticker's Grove, along with Coney, began taking away a lot of the company picnic business that helped Americana/Lesourdsville Lake become successful.

Re: Your first roller coaster by HatTrick at 8/30/12 10:56:57 PM
My first coaster was the Sky Streak at the now defunct Boblo Island. Bonus points to anyone who remembers that park and ride!
Re: Your first roller coaster by leviathan leviathan Profile at 8/31/12 11:52:41 AM
The Skyliner at the now-defunct Roseland Park...although the Skyliner still lives in Altoona, PA!

I don't remember the details of my first ride, but I know it wasn't my last that day...I was hooked!

Re: Your first roller coaster by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/31/12 12:16:18 PM
leviathan said:

The Skyliner at the now-defunct Roseland Park...although the Skyliner still lives in Altoona, PA!

Only ride on which I ever hit a body part on the structure. I got my right hand clipped. I know, we're supposed to keep arms and legs INSIDE the car at all times.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Your first roller coaster by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/31/12 12:29:28 PM
I just realized I never answered the actual posted question, although I have on similar threads.

The first coaster I ever went on was an un-named junior steel coaster at Uncle Milty's Amusement Park in Bayonne in the late 60's or early 70's. I can find precious little info about the park. The thing I remember is a turn that took riders on the other side of the fence that separated the park from the Kill Van Kull. That felt really dangerous to a little kid. The Kill is a waterway that separates Staten Island, NY from Bayonne, and connects Newark Bay with New York Harbor and the Hudson River.

I guess the first big coaster I went on was one of the woodies at Elitch Gardens around 1973-74. My dad had a convention in Denver, so a woman named Sue Kearny, a colleague's wife, took me on Mr. Twister and the other one..name escaping me right now.

I also remember my dad taking me on various Wild Mice and Jet Star type rides in those intervening years, on the Seaside and Wildwood boardwalks.

Mike

* This post was modified at 10/1/12 12:18:40 PM *

Re: Your first roller coaster by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 9/1/12 10:55:44 PM
I believe that it was the Cedar Creek Mine Ride. At least that is the best I remember. I am not sure how old I was but I remember being too scared to get on the Jumbo Jets (all at CP). It could have been CP's Wildcat. I KNOW my first looper was CP's Corkscrew.

I am sure that I loved it because I don't ever remember not being an enthusiast.

Sorry about the lack of details but I am turning 45 on the 10th, afterall.

MarathonRunner

Re: Your first roller coaster by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/2/12 5:55:21 AM
MarathonRunner said:

Sorry about the lack of details but I am turning 45 on the 10th, afterall.

MarathonRunner

Whippersnapper. My birthday's two days later, and I'll mark it by hitting two of my favorite parks the following weekend..Kennywood and Cedar Point.

Mike

Re: Your first roller coaster by Stredain Stredain Profile at 9/21/12 10:22:42 PM
First Roller Coaster: Matterhon, June 1986, Disneyland CA
I rode my very first rollercoaster with the legendary, unmodified rock-your-socks-0ff-and-scream-your-head-off Matterhorn BEFORE they altered it with the danged Yeti bozo. This was the ORIGINAL matterhorn.. where you had that LOVELY 5 second airtime in the initial curve.
I was addicted.. I must have rode that rollercoaster 6 plus times that day and I think I scared the ride operator when I said something about riding it after a Disneyland ice cream because he got this look on his face of pure disgust.
I didnt upchuck but let me tell you... oh my God did I have one heck of a sore throat, a nasty grin on my face (the ADRENALINE ONE) and the most wonderful shakey shakes of the hands... my gawd did my dad think I was having a fit from hell with all that unmuffled, uncontrollable giggly hand shaking in the back seat of our old Maverick on the way home!
Re: Your first roller coaster by chris92se chris92se Profile at 9/24/12 7:16:35 PM
Technically, I rode Space Mountain at Disneyland first at age 10. The problem with that is SM is in the dark and I am afraid of heights. Riding it was fun, but not really that big of a deal. The same with Big Thunder Mountain Railroad -- just not any kind of fear factor involved for me.

The first "scary" coaster I ever rode was The Demon at Great America in Santa Clara, CA, when I was 14 during the mid 1980s.

When I stood in line, I almost had to be held there by my friend and I kept trying to get out of it. I was in complete panic mode for the entire wait. I think that's about the closest I have ever been to having a panic attack in my entire life. The peer pressure was the only thing that kept me in that line.

Afterward, I experienced that great rush and sense of excitement and relief that we all know. That same day I rode the Whizzer (no longer there). I did not have the courage to try The Edge and iirc, the Grizzly was not built or maybe the line was really long?

It actually took me several years to experience another coaster because of where I live (Oregon) and the fact that I could not afford to travel much during college and the following several years after that.

Re: Your first roller coaster by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 10/1/12 11:39:23 AM
My first roller coaster was Screamin Eagle at Six Flags St. Louis. At the time I didn't like it. the the year The Boss opened my dad made me go on it. I was in 7th grade then. I didn't ride another roller coaster for about 5 years later. Then I was never scared again.

Brandon Carlson

Re: Your first roller coaster by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/1/12 4:42:06 PM
chris92se said:

Technically, I rode Space Mountain at Disneyland first at age 10. The problem with that is SM is in the dark and I am afraid of heights. Riding it was fun, but not really that big of a deal. The same with Big Thunder Mountain Railroad -- just not any kind of fear factor involved for me.

I'd say that was a pretty god place to start. Granted, neither would actually strike fear into the heart of someone who is afraid of heights, but they are both fun coasters with plenty of speed, laterals, and head choppers.

I'd say BTMR is overall the better coaster of the two. It was my younger son's first coaster (at age four!) and is still lots of fun for the entire family.

* This post was modified at 10/1/12 4:43:52 PM *

Re: Your first roller coaster by JonBorichef at 10/1/12 10:26:06 PM
My first coaster was Medusa (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, California) with my dad, somewhere around age 10. I guess I just got freaked out and therefore didn't go on coasters for five years, but now I LOVE them... can't get enough.
Re: Your first roller coaster by Hardcharger11 at 4/3/13 8:27:55 PM
ericthewanderer said:

Technically my first coaster was Space Mountain in Florida.I have relatives in Fla.,so as a kid I got to go to WDW almost every year.I remember when I was like 5 or 6 going on Space Mt. because it was the new ride that year.When the ride was over I was so shook up I didn't go on again until about 5 years later;I remember thinking the ride would actually send me out to Space!!!On a side note,it wasn't until like 20 years later that my mom realized that Space Mt. was an actual coaster!!She seemed to think it was just a "simulator" of sorts!!
The first coaster(s) I rode that I knew were coasters were the Scooby Doo and then the Rebel Yell at KD a couple of years after my Space Mt. incident.I seemed to handle Scooby Doo alright,but Rebel Yell overwhelmed me-it was like "too much,too soon".
The first coaster that I LOVED was-strangley enough-Grizzly at KD.I went to KD with my brother and some neighbors when Grizzly was the new ride.A bunch of us got in line for Grizzly,but halfway through-everyone else chickened out on me!!!I stayed though and chose the front seat.I remember being somewhat concerend because of being "traumatized" by RY a few years earlier,but I rode anyway-and I'm glad I did!Grizzly was the ride that made me an ACEr-back before I even knew what an ACEr was!

I have an oddly similar story-Six years old, Scooby Doo at KD was my first,followed by Rebel Yell that same day. RY was traumatizing and I did not ride a coaster for years after that.

However, sometime in between the RY ride that traumatized me and my adolescence, when I started enjoying coasters again, I rode on what I thought was Space Mountain, and had no idea until recently that it was a roller coaster. Like your mom, I remember it being a simulator. Was there maybe a ride next to Space Mountain that we mistook for Space Mountain the roller coaster?

Re: Your first roller coaster by ericthewanderer at 4/4/13 1:39:13 PM
I doubt it.My "trauma" with Space Mountain happened way back in the 1970's-and simulators as we know them didn't show up until the 1980's,like with "Star Tours".I think that since my mother wasn't a "coaster junkie" that I turned out to be,the idea of an INDOOR coaster was inconcievable.
Re: Your first roller coaster by ericthewanderer at 4/4/13 3:06:07 PM
This is a "P.S." to my earlier post.My mother probably believed Space Mt. was like the old "If You Had Wings" ride:that you moved around a level track at a steady pace past projected images,as opposed to an enclosed thrill ride(which were uncommon back then).
Re: Your first roller coaster by magnumholmes magnumholmes Profile at 4/12/13 4:16:36 AM
Zabezi Zinger-- Worlds of Fun, Kansas City.
Now it doesn't exist. What a travesty!
Re: Your first roller coaster by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/13/13 4:11:47 AM
^^^Technically, it does still exist, although you have to go to Colombia to ride the renamed 'Broca'.

www.rcdb.com/1392.htm?p=0

* This post was modified at 4/14/13 8:57:27 PM *

Re: Your first roller coaster by depotrat at 4/14/13 9:13:31 AM
I am surely older than almost all of you. My first big coaster was Fireball at Riverview Park in Chicago in 1962.

I will also take the Bob-lo Island bonus points offered as I was there every summer from 1963 to 1970. The ride to and from the island on the Bob-lo Boat was a big part of the fun.