Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Roller Coaster Club Ideas?

Roller Coaster Club Ideas?

Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile

Posted:
8/24/12 at
5:20:49 PM

In my school, we have this thing called Wildcat Hour, ( Named after our school mascot "The Arundel High Wildcats"), and basically we have an hour of lunch where we can go see teachers to fix grades, eat lunch in the cafeteria, and go to clubs made by teachers and students. This year , me and my friends will be hosting "The Roller Coaster Club." It's a club where we will talk about coasters and amusement parks, and give more people knowledge on coasters. A lot of kids signed up for it at the club fair at the end of last year, and I'm excited. On the first meeting, we want to teach them elements of roller coaster, (i.e. Cobra Rolls, Corkscrew's, barrel rolls, and helix's.) Then we will go into models. Do you guys have any ideas for any other topics that we could discuss?, Thank you for your support!

P.S. I was also thinking of a trip to Kings Dominion, because at the club fair, everyone liked it better than Six Flags America. I'm going to the 11th grade this year, and able to get a part-time job, and I'm trying to invest in field trips for my club this year!!

* This post was modified at 8/24/12 6:45:05 PM *

Re: Roller Coaster Club Ideas? by alpengeistno3 at 8/24/12 6:23:05 PM
How about the longest debate on URC; Are there 1 or 2 "n"'s in Millennium? :)

Paul

Re: Roller Coaster Club Ideas? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/12 8:13:09 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

How about the longest debate on URC; Are there 1 or 2 "n"'s in Millennium? :)

Paul

Yeah, fatsoccerguy, you should suggest a coaster apelling bee. And the name must be spelled exactly as it appears. "Immelmann." Schwarzkopf."
"Fahrenheit." "Intimidator." I can see this taking off.

Meik (oops)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Roller Coaster Club Ideas? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/24/12 8:58:09 PM
I think one thing that should be discussed are the parks that within a 6 hour drive from your area. You'll be amazed of how many people don't know about all the parks that are close to them. My non enthusiast friends see my photos on Facebook, and haven't heard of half the parks in PA. Another topic would be the top rated coasters. You could discuss the Golden Ticket Awards, The Mitch Hawker Poll, and other polls that rate coasters. This way people can learn about the best coasters and were they are located. One more topic would be the coaster clubs like ACE and Coaster Zombies. The discussion forums and web sights dedicated to coasters would be another way to gain their interest. The possibilities are endless. I have a feeling your meetings will turn into something like we do here at URC. I think it's great the next generation is getting involved and talking about coasters. That was a great idea to start that club. Maybe you guys could go on a field trip in May to one of your local parks. Great job Fatsoccerguy.
Re: Roller Coaster Club Ideas? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/25/12 3:46:00 PM
Love that idea! You could also talk history - when the first of each was built and by whom and the oldest of each that are still around today.

Can do types of coasters: Woodies, pre-fab woodies, inverts, suspended, launches (hydrolic vs magnetic), hypers, gigas, Dive, bobsled etc.

Can do manufacturers (Intamin, B&M, Arrow, etc.)

Can do parks with the most coasters.

Can have a seminar on why no adult should ride a kiddie coaster for a credit (LOL - I couldn't resist!)

Have fun - I wish they had something like this when I was in school!

If you do a ppt on inversions/elements post it!

Jen

Re: Roller Coaster Club Ideas? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/25/12 5:31:19 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Named after our school mascot "The Arundel High Wildcats!!

I tossed the legendary Arundel High baseball coach Bernie Walters out of a ballgame at Arundel in 2005.

I went to nearby Northeast High and still reside in Pasadena.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Roller Coaster Club Ideas? by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/25/12 7:34:46 PM
Great_Ump said:

Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Named after our school mascot "The Arundel High Wildcats!!

I tossed the legendary Arundel High baseball coach Bernie Walters out of a ballgame at Arundel in 2005.

I went to nearby Northeast High and still reside in Pasadena.

Joe
Great_Ump

Haha Arundel's baseball team sucks. They have a good football team, and lunch system, that's it =P. Northeast Eagles are pretty good though.

I think now that I'm starting a club like this, more kids will become enthusiasts, and realize how amusement parks really work it will be great!!!. If I do do a field trip, I'm defiantly doing Kings Dominion. Whenever I take a class field trip to Six Flags America, their rides are always broken!!!, and a lot of the kids in my school dislike Six Flags America because they think the rides are old, and some kids even know that Apocalypse came from Six Flags Great America. Kings Dominion has two launch coasters, and Intimidator 305!!!!!

* This post was modified at 8/25/12 7:42:04 PM *

Re: Roller Coaster Club Ideas? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/25/12 11:46:44 PM
You mean 3: Fof, Volcano and backlot stunt coaster. And what about Dominator? It may not be fast going up the lift hill, but imo, it's a solid ride overall.
Re: Roller Coaster Club Ideas? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/26/12 1:27:54 AM
A great topic to explore would be coaster myths and legends. No, the train won't fly off the track because... Lapbars are perfectly okay to use on coasters with inversions... No, no one ever died on the Bat... Etc...

Basically de-GP them. lol

-Josh

Re: Roller Coaster Club Ideas? by cellocoasterdude cellocoasterdude Profile at 8/26/12 9:56:37 AM
Different coasters throughout the world might be interesting too. Japan (my home) has some great coasters and parks, and China is really beginning to build a lot of coasters. S. Korea has one of the best pre-fabs in T-Express.

Have fun!

-Tim