Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SF Great Adventure article from 1991

SF Great Adventure article from 1991

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
8/23/12 at
11:21:24 PM

I came across this article in the NY Times from 1991 and thought it was interesting. A cheeseburger combo was $4.75, $5 to park and $25.68 to get in! I remember when they used to have trams to take you to and from your car for that $5 too. How is it that we pay more (and that is WAY beyond the rate of simple inflation) and get less? Although you apparently had to pay for a map, go figure!

Jen

Great Adventure Highs and Lows

Re: SF Great Adventure article from 1991 by skc2000 at 8/24/12 7:32:39 AM
GoYanks34 said:

I came across this article in the NY Times from 1991 and thought it was interesting. A cheeseburger combo was $4.75, $5 to park and $25.68 to get in! I remember when they used to have trams to take you to and from your car for that $5 too. How is it that we pay more (and that is WAY beyond the rate of simple inflation) and get less? Although you apparently had to pay for a map, go figure!

Jen

Everything goes up in price all the time.There is not one park in the world that has the same prices now as they did in 1991.It is quiet shocking but give it another 10 or 15 more years & it will be over $100 for a one day admission to six flags great adventure.

skc2000

Re: SF Great Adventure article from 1991 by squirrels at 8/24/12 7:34:56 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Jen

If the Fed tries to maintain about a 3% rate of inflation, $25.68 in 1991 dollars is about $47.77 in today's dollars. So it's pretty close. When your government is borrowing 1.1 trillion dollars a year and its credit rating is starting to fall, its dollars are worth less and less...especially to Swiss roller coaster companies. :p

Remember, too, that the technology to engineer and build these mega-rides (Nitro, Kingda Ka, El Toro) has also evolved significantly between 1991 and today.

And I've always thought 6F has a tendency to milk its customers for everything they're worth.

Re: SF Great Adventure article from 1991 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/12 9:02:15 AM
squirrels said:

[quote

And I've always thought 6F has a tendency to milk its customers for everything they're worth.

Breaking news!!!!

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: SF Great Adventure article from 1991 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/24/12 9:45:49 AM
Well, that $1.00 jumbo chocolate cookie sounds pretty good.

- Pat-O

Re: SF Great Adventure article from 1991 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/12 9:57:00 AM
LoneStar said:

- Pat-O

So does a souvenir cup for $3.49. I wonder if they did the all-season refills back then. Somehow, I'd tend to think not.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: SF Great Adventure article from 1991 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/24/12 10:03:59 AM
squirrels said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

If the Fed tries to maintain about a 3% rate of inflation, $25.68 in 1991 dollars is about $47.77 in today's dollars. So it's pretty close. When your government is borrowing 1.1 trillion dollars a year and its credit rating is starting to fall, its dollars are worth less and less...especially to Swiss roller coaster companies. :p

Remember, too, that the technology to engineer and build these mega-rides (Nitro, Kingda Ka, El Toro) has also evolved significantly between 1991 and today.

I'm sure that doesn't apply to only SF. We would have to look at what the prices for the CF parks and Disney, etc were back then to compare.

But I don't think $47.77 is all that close to $62.99 - there's a big hike in there. That's a total increase of about 250% for the ticket price. Now, I understand that the value of the dollar has taken a dive and rides coast a lot more money than they did back then. I actually don't have a problem with the ticket prices of most parks since discounts can always be found. My problem is with the parking and food and drink prices. I read somewhere that a large fountain soda costs something like 10 cents for the company.

I just thought it was somewhat ironic that the writer was complaining about the prices of things back then. When compared to now it was cheap!

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure article from 1991 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/24/12 10:05:05 AM
beastmaster said:

LoneStar said:

- Pat-O

So does a souvenir cup for $3.49. I wonder if they did the all-season refills back then. Somehow, I'd tend to think not.

Mike

Nope - that's a relatively new thing. It was just plastic cups with GAdv logos and rides on it.

Jen

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.