Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > First time child to SF Great Adventure - questions!

First time child to SF Great Adventure - questions!

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
8/23/12 at
8:10:14 PM

On Monday I'm taking my friend Pat and her daughter Krista to SFGAdv. This is the first year Krista is 54" and able to ride everything. She is a little dare-devil but I want to hit the rides in the right order to build up her tolerance. Although she acts tough, a first ride on KK might do her in, LOL!

So, I was thinking about which coasters to ride first. I'm torn between starting with Nitro or Medusa. On one hand Nitro is the smoothest but it's on the other side of the park (wah!). If we start with Medusa we can hit ET and if she's still willing, KK. We are getting a FP if the crowds are huge (in my world that's more than a 20 minute wait for anything, LOL).

What order do you guys think a first timer (child) should ride? She's almost 9.

Jen

Re: First time child to SF Great Adventure - questions! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/12 8:23:02 PM
Start with Blackbeard, of course.

Seriously, has she been on the other coasters with lower height requirements (Skully, Dark Knight, Rolling Thunder?) If so, then I'd definitely start with Nitro and maybe Batman, then hit the trifecta at the other end.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: First time child to SF Great Adventure - questions! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 8:31:48 PM
beastmaster said:

Start with Blackbeard, of course.

Seriously, has she been on the other coasters with lower height requirements (Skully, Dark Knight, Rolling Thunder?) If so, then I'd definitely start with Nitro and maybe Batman, then hit the trifecta at the other end.

She hasn't been to GAdv since she was little but has been to Hershey (don't know what she rode), the boardwalk coasters at Seaside and some fairs and such. She loves rides/coasters and has been begging me to take her to GAdv for a while but she was too short to ride the good stuff. I forgot about Skull Mtn - that's a good one to start with. I only think about the "real" coasters, LOL! And I'm NOT going on the kiddie coaster! :~)

Jen

Re: First time child to SF Great Adventure - questions! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/23/12 8:57:26 PM
Last year when we were at Six Flags Great Adventure, my daughter was about to turn 9 and my son just turned 11. Both were taller than 54 inches. My youngest was only 6 and under 54 inches, so he stayed with my wife as I went off with the other 2. Here is the order we used that day. Nitro was first with 5 rides, then Batman with 1 ride, then Dark Knight with one ride, then Superman with one ride, then Rolling Thunder with 2 rides, then El Toro with 1 ride, the Mine Train with 1 ride, then Bizarro with 2 rides. We then headed back over to the other side and rode Skull Mountain once, Nitro again, and Dark Knight 2 more times. I went off and rode El Toro 3 more times while they were shopping. I did ride Kinda Ka during the day as everyone waited for me. Now the park was really empty and my kids are veteran coaster enthusiasts. I personally would save Kinda Ka for last, unless she suggests it. I really never had to build their courage up, even in previous coaster trips. If they were tall enough, they wanted to ride, with Top Thrill Dragster and Kinda Ka being the only exceptions. Even my youngest will ride all the coasters that he is tall enough for, but there are some flat rides he won't go on. When he was 5 we were at Cedar Point and he was right at 48 inches. His first ride of the day was Millennium Force. You'll probably have to see what her reaction is after you get off of each ride. Good luck, hope you and her have a good time. I hope this information helps you.
Re: First time child to SF Great Adventure - questions! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 9:09:33 PM
^^^
Thanks - that does help. I've been leaning towards starting on the Nitro side. The problem is Pat can't ride much anymore - she has an auto-immune disease that affects her joints and has had a few back surgeries. She thinks Krista is like she used to be, and it may be true, but there is a HUGE difference between loving a wild mouse on the boardwalk and getting launched at 128 mph. She doesn't get it, she never rode a launch, even the slower ones and I keep trying to tell her that intensity is like nothing she has ever felt. She keeps saying we should go on KK first - she'll love it. Yeah, or she run screaming to the car and I don't want to find out which one until the day is almost over!

Jen

Re: First time child to SF Great Adventure - questions! by depotrat at 8/23/12 10:19:20 PM
I was at the park with some rookies last week. We did KK 1st but only because we knew the line for the front would never be shorter than right at opening. I will not ride in the back anymore since it has become too rough. They were not thrilled with KK but were glad they did it and we rode every coaster in the park before calling it a day. They liked El Toro, Nitro, Bizarro, Skull Mtn, Superman UF, Batman and TDK. They did not like KK, Green Lantern, Run Away Mine Train, and Rolling Thunder.
Re: First time child to SF Great Adventure - questions! by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 8/23/12 10:22:50 PM
Part of being a good parent is trusting yourself to do what's right regardless of what the child thinks she wants. No matter what El Toro and KK should be near the end of the day. I thought Road Runner Railway is one of two really good Arrow mine trains. I would start with that and then move to Bizarro. My feelings toward that one have gone way up since last time. Green Lantern and Superman are pretty thrilling and she might not feel like you are trying to sheild her from something if you try them next. THEN you can try Nitro, Batman, Skull Mountain, and Dark Knight. As a parent and grandparent of some that love coasters and some that aren't too thrilled by the idea, I can't wait to find out how this goes.
Re: First time child to SF Great Adventure - questions! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/28/12 9:04:38 PM
How did everything go Jen?
Re: First time child to SF Great Adventure - questions! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/28/12 9:12:25 PM
frontrow said:

How did everything go Jen?

It was a DISASTER! TR to follow....

Jen