Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > A confession: I really do enjoy...

A confession: I really do enjoy...

LoneStar LoneStar Profile

Posted:
8/23/12 at
5:33:19 PM

Vekoma Boomerangs. After riding Boomerang at SFFT 3-4 times last week I realized what fun coasters these truly are.

For the last 8 years or so, after I learned "I'm not supposed to like Vekoma cookie cutters" I had a negative view of Boomerangs. But each time I rode Flashback at SFoT (God rest its soul), Boomerang, or Boomerang at Elitch, I always got off and though, "Gee, that wasn't so bad."

I have had some head-banging on these coasters, but I think a little maintenance has removed that problem at SFFT.

So, yes, I confess to all...I love boomerangs!

I love the feeling of leaning into the OTSRs when being lifted backwards up the first spike. I prefer the back so I can go higher up! The views at most parks are fantastic.

The intial drop is unique, because you don't crawl over a lift hill - it's an imediate acceleration downt the hill.

And the elements are intense and awesome - I tend to grey out a little.

To top it all off, these coasters are very picturesque, and mose queues give you great views of the train snaking through its course.

So, in all ya'lls presence I must confess...I truly love Vekoma Boomerangs! I know...call me crazy.

- Pat-O

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/23/12 7:42:45 PM
LoneStar said:

Vekoma Boomerangs. After riding Boomerang at SFFT 3-4 times last week I realized what fun coasters these truly are.

For the last 8 years or so, after I learned "I'm not supposed to like Vekoma cookie cutters" I had a negative view of Boomerangs. But each time I rode Flashback at SFoT (God rest its soul), Boomerang, or Boomerang at Elitch, I always got off and though, "Gee, that wasn't so bad."

I have had some head-banging on these coasters, but I think a little maintenance has removed that problem at SFFT.

I love the feeling of leaning into the OTSRs when being lifted backwards up the first spike. I prefer the back so I can go higher up! The views at most parks are fantastic.

The intial drop is unique, because you don't crawl over a lift hill - it's an imediate acceleration downt the hill.

To top it all off, these coasters are very picturesque, and mose queues give you great views of the train snaking through its course.

So, in all ya'lls presence I must confess...I truly love Vekoma Boomerangs! I know...call me crazy.

- Pat-O

OMG!, your not crazy at all. I'm pretty sure we are ALL happy for you no matter what coaster is your fav., you are a fellow member after all!!. Nobody thinks they are un-unique, it's that they are cloned way too much!!!. I'm pretty sure everyone finds them fun, because they are. This is noting to be ashamed of, this makes your taste much more original :), and I support your decision, because these truly are fun coasters!!

* This post was modified at 8/23/12 7:44:10 PM *

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 7:52:12 PM
LoneStar said:

- Pat-O

Then you HAVE to get out to Hershey and try Sidewinder's new restraints - it's amazing to ride a boomerang comfortably! If more of them got the new restraints I bet it would breathe new life into a lot of them.

And you're not crazy - I like them too!

Jen

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/23/12 8:31:49 PM
I always loved Face/Off at KI, and I know there are several variations of the Vekoma shuttle coaster. Unfortunately my body can't take it anymore. Vekomas in general do tend to be rougher than Beemers, Intamins, even Arrows.
Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 8/24/12 6:25:12 AM
I really love the giant boomerangs (Déjà Vu when it was at Six Flags Over Georgia).
Goliath would be my main reason for going to Six Flags New England. The Invertigo type
are fun too (Kings Island and Dorney Park). Everything said on this thread is right on.
I too love the back as I would always want the longest drop possible. I get the same spot on
the Intamin twisted impulse shuttles like Possessed or Wicked Twister. Of the regular boomerangs, I have been on ones at: Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds, Darien Lake, Hersheypark, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Over Texas, Wild Adventures, and Worlds of Fun. The two with big improvements on the restraints are the best by a mile and must rides for you
(at Canada's Wonderland and Hershey).

* This post was modified at 8/26/12 7:09:27 AM *

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by squirrels at 8/24/12 7:29:14 AM
GoYanks34 said:

LoneStar said:

- Pat-O

Then you HAVE to get out to Hershey and try Sidewinder's new restraints - it's amazing to ride a boomerang comfortably! If more of them got the new restraints I bet it would breathe new life into a lot of them.

And you're not crazy - I like them too!

Jen

Those restraints are quite excellent. And there was a decent line for Sidewinder the last time I was at Hershey.

If a park has a relatively small patch of real-estate, there's no better bang for the buck than a Boomerang/Invertigo. Even though the ride itself is relatively short, it's 6 inversions, plus the suspense of the lift hill(s) adds an element to the ride that most coasters don't have...you get dropped TWICE.

I like cookies...whether they're made with a cutter or not. :)

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/24/12 7:46:12 AM
Cheers to Boomerangs!!! :)

I was gonna ride Coast to Coaster at SFFT, but it was in some kinda delay, so I moved on.
I guess that Boomerangs are kinda love/hate for me, depending on which ones you ride.

Love (smooth)
Boomerang at Knotts
Carolina Cobra

Hate (rough)
Boomerang at Wild Adv
Zoomerang at Alabama Adv(defunct)

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/24/12 9:55:23 AM
Thanks for the love everyone...it was a difficult decision to confess my love for boomerangs here...but I appreciate the acceptance.

But I still say we harrass the heck out of any of those SLC lovers!

Jen, those restraints look really strange, but I'll take your word for it.

Robe, Face Off is pretty awesome. Wish we had more.

- Pat-O

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/24/12 10:41:52 AM
I feel like we need to have you go to a 12-step meeting over this...

You're cray cray.

I'm kidding Pat-O.

Thanks for sharing... keep coming back...

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/12 10:48:28 AM
LoneStar said:

But I still say we harrass the heck out of any of those SLC lovers!

- Pat-O

Do those people exist? I thought they were an urban legend...

And Jen's right about Sidewinder's new restraints. They're awesome, as are Carolina Cobra's. I'll also say that the boomerang at Lake Compounce is probably the most aesthetically pleasing I've seen, due to its beautiful color scheme on both the track and the trains.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/24/12 5:55:50 PM
I love Carolina Cobra's restraints!!!, so soothing, I can actually feel force, and not head-banging ride is giving me, but it's Vekoma, what did you expect? ;), they are starting to turn around though with those new restraints though!!, and I hope Six Flags upgrades the restraints when they move Six Flags Over Texas' Flashback to Six Flags St. Louis!, but I won't be surprised if they don't....oh, and I prefer the front on Boomerangs, because you get the bigger drop going backwards :D

* This post was modified at 8/24/12 6:04:00 PM *

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 8/24/12 9:42:21 PM
Ok, I'm game.

There is nothing wrong with some SLC's !

There are a ton of those clones just like there are a ton of B&M's Batman clones. I'm not sure if I like the short quick elements on those repeated in 10 parks either. If you know how to ride any of these, they aren't bad. Keep your neck as straight and stationary as possible. Keep your legs straight out.

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/25/12 11:57:15 AM
theRock-steel said:

Ok, I'm game.

There is nothing wrong with some SLC's !

There are a ton of those clones just like there are a ton of B&M's Batman clones. I'm not sure if I like the short quick elements on those repeated in 10 parks either. If you know how to ride any of these, they aren't bad. Keep your neck as straight and stationary as possible. Keep your legs straight out.

I love Vekoma SLC's, and Invertigo's. I love Mind Eraser at Elitch Gardens and Six Flags America. If you know how to ride a Vekoma, they can be pretty fun. Also yes, I feel like B&M inverts are cloned a lot, but they are very smooth, and the Roar is awesome.

I think Vekoma Boomerangs can be fun both in the back and front seat. If you ride it in the front you get the bigger drop while going backwards, If you ride it in the back, you get the bigger drop forwards which gives you more airtime.

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 8/25/12 4:32:58 PM
Count me in as another who likes Vekoma Boomeranga. I guess it's a guilty pleasure tha many of us don't want to admit to. Always rode towards the back but back seat is the best. Used to ride Geauga Lake's Mind Eraser/Head Spin a lot. It had a great view of the park from the back seat when you slowly climbed backwards.

Reunited with ol' Head Spin when I went to Carowinds last year and the new train is awesome. Loved the new restraints.

I've been on the boomerangs at Geauga Lake, Darien Lake, Knott's Berry Farm, Kentucky Kingdom, Carowinds, and Hersheypark

I actually prefer the Invertigo/Giant Inverted Boomerangs, with the giant (Deja Vu formerly at SFGAm) being my favorite. Wish there more of these around.

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 8/26/12 7:26:49 AM
RCDB says that Gauntlet over there in Arkansas at Magic Springs has had a redesigned wheel assembly. Couple that with more padding on the shoulders and you have the best SLC. I have ranked Hangman at Wild Adventures and Flight Deck at Cananda's Wonderland next. The Mind Eraser's weren't quite as good, but I rode the one at Six Flags America back in 2007 so..
Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by skc2000 at 8/26/12 8:26:35 AM
Generally i am not a big fan of any coaster that has exact same identical ride at other parks especially if it,s one train operation but vekoma boomerangs i enjoy vekoma boomerangs only if i am in the very back seat.if i am in the very back seat then i enjoy the ride a little bit.Any other seat except the very back seat is boring for me.The reason is because when the train leaves the station climbs up the 1st chain lift backwards then when the train is about to drop down the first tower & me in the back seat i am all the way up there it does get quiet a bit of exciting to sit there in that seat.Very last seat when the train is at the peak top about to drop down the first tower & the station which is all the way down there & i am looking down at the station & knowing that i am the highest one up there saying oh boy i am going to go down this hill speeding thru that station it does get quiet a bit exciting sitting in the very last seat at this point in the ride.But that,s the only time when i enjoy the ride.If i am sitting in any other seat except the very last seat then the ride is just one boring vekoma cookie cutter boomerang coaster.

skc2000

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/26/12 12:30:16 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:
....oh, and I prefer the front on Boomerangs, because you get the bigger drop going backwards :D

Yup... and on the Invertigo's, the front seat gets the most "hang" time on the lift hill, the near miss at the end of the midcourse lift hill, and the most G's on the return thru the loop.

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by skc2000 at 8/26/12 10:10:36 PM
RobLec said:

Fatsoccerguy191 said:
....oh, and I prefer the front on Boomerangs, because you get the bigger drop going backwards :D

Yup... and on the Invertigo's, the front seat gets the most "hang" time on the lift hill, the near miss at the end of the midcourse lift hill, and the most G's on the return thru the loop.

On an invertigo there is a completely different experience because the train is below the tracks & the riders are facing each other but on a boomerang if you sit in the very back seat at the very top of the first lift hill & the station which is all the way down there & you are staring down at that station & saying oh my i am going to be speeding through that tiny station at 50mph nothing beats that thrill(the station does look a kind of tiny from the top of that first lift hill).the difference is that on a vekoma boomerang the back seat is the only place where you get that kind of thrill.Usually when i ride a coaster i like to ride in the front but the vekoma boomerang is the only type of coaster where i prefer the back over the front.

skc2000

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/27/12 7:44:35 AM
theRock-steel said:

RCDB says that Gauntlet over there in Arkansas at Magic Springs has had a redesigned wheel assembly. Couple that with more padding on the shoulders and you have the best SLC.

Don't forget about 'Fly The Great Nor'Easter' at Morey's with those improved restraints.

Re: A confession: I really do enjoy... by ericthewanderer at 8/27/12 12:33:50 PM
I loved SFA's Two-Face!!!They should've kept it!!