Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > My 1 1/2 hours at SF Great Adventure today

My 1 1/2 hours at SF Great Adventure today

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
8/23/12 at
1:34:56 PM

So I had this plan in my head. I would go to the park first thing and get on KK. I would get a front seat by myself and get a good on-ride photo (I don’t have one!). Then I would re-ride until the line was longer than 10 minutes. I was obviously high when I thought that was a viable option! I got to the park at 10:00 am and the parking lot was pretty full for that time. I get to the rope drop area and it was the most crowded I’ve seen all year. It was BAD. I was praying KK would have a late opening – that was the only way my plan would work. Haven’t seen a launch yet – fingers crossed – then at 10:15 am there goes a train up the top hat. DAMMIT! So the rope drops at 10:30 and everyone waiting went towards KK. We get to the entrance but they won’t let us in! It was another 10 minutes before they started letting people in the queue and the smell of body odor was nauseating. Got through and waited 15 minutes for the front. The line was at least 30 – 45 minutes long when I got off. Got my on-ride photo though but a re-ride was not happening.

Me and my Green King!

Got my delectable Mexican pastry and I decided to head to the other side of the park and pay Nitro a visit since I was so rudely denied a night ride the last time I was there. Got to Nitro at 11:25 and the line was just down the stairs. Waited about 5-10 minutes and got a back seat ride and by the time I got off the line was in the switchbacks! NOT a good day to be at SFGAdv. I had until around 12:30 before I needed to leave but I got the hell outta there after that. When I was leaving the lines to get in through the security gate were ridiculous. The parking lot was pretty full and I feel sorry for anyone that was there today and without a FP......

I never realized you could see ET in this view from the parking lot - 4 coasters in 1 picture!

Jen

Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/12 1:46:59 PM
At least there's no hand in front of your kisser :)
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 1:56:10 PM
beastmaster said:

At least there's no hand in front of your kisser :)

I know! It was strange seeing a picture that you could see my face in without your hand in front of it! :~)

Jen

Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/23/12 3:23:10 PM
sometimes the place just gets mobbeddddd. glad you got two rides in though. Not bad choices ;)
- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/23/12 3:40:35 PM
How did you look so relaxed? Was the ride moving for that pic?? i have a pic from Kingda Ka and i looked like I was about to die!!...lol
Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 4:32:04 PM
chitlins73 said:

How did you look so relaxed? Was the ride moving for that pic?? i have a pic from Kingda Ka and i looked like I was about to die!!...lol

LOL! SO many people who stopped to look at their pic when I was buying it said the same thing! People wanted to know how I could move my arms and smile during the launch. I suppose after you ride it a million times you learn how to maneuver your body against the gravitational forces! :~)

Jen

Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 4:35:55 PM
mugen828 said:

sometimes the place just gets mobbeddddd. glad you got two rides in though. Not bad choices ;)

Mobbed doesn't even begin to describe it! I haven't seen a crowd like that in a long time and I only saw one camp group - it was all regular people.

Jen

Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/23/12 5:24:12 PM
Jenn, I remember when I lived in the Houston area and had a SF season pass, and I could just stop in for an hour or two and ride Cyclone and Greez'd Lightning over and over again to get my fix. Sorry it was so packed, but I love your game plan.

If I had a season pass I could stop in at SFFT since I do so much business in San Antonio...maybe I should get one for next year.

- Pat-O

Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 8:02:57 PM
LoneStar said:

Jenn, I remember when I lived in the Houston area and had a SF season pass, and I could just stop in for an hour or two and ride Cyclone and Greez'd Lightning over and over again to get my fix. Sorry it was so packed, but I love your game plan.

If I had a season pass I could stop in at SFFT since I do so much business in San Antonio...maybe I should get one for next year.

- Pat-O

I should've started doing that earlier. I'm only 25 min away and I'm off on Thur and Fri every week but after working a long week and having so many things to do or being tired on my days off I just never did it. I realized today how little effort I really need to go there and get in a ride or 2 before I start running errands. I do have a season pass and parking as well as a SF drink cup (which makes ice water free) so it will only cost me $3.59 each time I go (have to have my Churro!)

And I am planning on visiting my brother in Austin next year so I am planning on hitting up SFFT. I'll let you Texans know when I have set plans!

Jen

Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/24/12 9:58:46 AM

And I am planning on visiting my brother in Austin next year so I am planning on hitting up SFFT. I'll let you Texans know when I have set plans!

Jen

Excellent! Come on down. SFFT is a great litle park, and if you can, the drive up to SFoT is worth it as well.

- Pat-O

Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/24/12 10:18:17 AM
LoneStar said:

Jen

Excellent! Come on down. SFFT is a great litle park, and if you can, the drive up to SFoT is worth it as well.

- Pat-O

From what I remember SFOT was a pretty far hike from there and my brother hates rides so I doubt I'd be able to pull both parks off. I was there in Sept. 2010 for a long weekend to see the Jets vs Texans with him and we went to San Antonio (beautiful town!) on the way to Houston and I was SO close but yet so far. Didn't have time then but I told him if he wants me to visit again we are going to Fiesta Texas! He agreed as long as I pay for him to get in, LOL.

Jen

Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by glutton glutton Profile at 8/24/12 9:38:17 PM
I took a theme-park trip to PA and NJ a couple summers ago, and we had 2 days at SF Great Adventure. The first morning, we were there at opening, got in maybe one coaster ride, then made our way to the next ride we'd chosen, and found it wasn't running. Headed toward a different ride... it wasn't running either. Finally figured out that the power was out in the whole park! I forget how long the power was out, but by the time things started running again, the park was packed, and it was pretty hot weather that week. After suffering with that lousy day and long lines once things opened again, we sprang for the Flash Passes (with our Season Pass discount at least) for our 2nd day, and that made things SO much better. Unfortunately, Kingda Ka wasn't open either day though, so I'll have to get back to NJ again sometime to try it. Great ride photo Jen!
Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/25/12 9:44:22 AM
Nice photo Jen. I see you are wearing the "size matters" shirt. I purchased a ride photo of Kinda Ka, while riding front seat. Everyone who looks at that photo laughs, because it looks like I'm scared to death. That is pretty cool that you can go to Great Adventure for a few hours, and still get other tasks accomplished that day. The 4 times I've to that park, the crowds very manageable. In fact I've been lucky at most parks with crowds. Some of it is because of the time of year, the weather, and of coarse weekdays. I believe if SF Great Adventure was my home park, I'd be there pretty often.

* This post was modified at 8/25/12 9:46:22 AM *

Re: My 1 ½ hours at SF Great Adventure today by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/25/12 3:37:06 PM
frontrow said:

Nice photo Jen. I see you are wearing the "size matters" shirt. I purchased a ride photo of Kinda Ka, while riding front seat. Everyone who looks at that photo laughs, because it looks like I'm scared to death. That is pretty cool that you can go to Great Adventure for a few hours, and still get other tasks accomplished that day. The 4 times I've to that park, the crowds very manageable. In fact I've been lucky at most parks with crowds. Some of it is because of the time of year, the weather, and of coarse weekdays. I believe if SF Great Adventure was my home park, I'd be there pretty often.

When I saw that shirt I LOVED it and bought it the last time I was there (I LOVE that color too). I was guilty being "that guy" wearing a ride shirt on the ride, LOL! (from the movie PCU "Don't be that guy!" one of my favorite quotes, especially at concerts). I'm going again on Monday so we'll see if the crowds are any better. That's the worst I've seen it in years - If I didn't know better I'd swear it was a holiday and they were giving things away.

Jen