Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas

TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas

LoneStar LoneStar Profile

Posted:
8/21/12 at
11:16:45 PM

Sunday I attended SFFT with one of my best friends whow got me tickets for a graduation present. While we did not experience any troubling instances as Eric reported a month ago, we encountered mediocre SF service. Ride ops were fairly slow, some rides were down, and Goliath and Road Runner Express operated with only one train.

Apparently SFFT now opens the Boardwalk section at the back of the park at 1:00!! Why? When the park opens at 10:30? There's a great little collection of rides back there, and they limit their customers' access to them. Upset me, but I understand they have to save their dollars.

Well, sorry to open up with so much negative stuff. I still think SFFT is the hidden gem of the Six Flags brand. We had a wonderful time, knocking out 26 rides in less than 7 hours at the park.

I just want to give yall some impressions of the park rather than going into much detail.

I have said this often - Poltergeist and Superman Krypton Coaster are 2 of the most under-rated coasters in the nation. S:KC is by far the best floorless I have been on. Poltergeist is super intense. If these coasters were in big east or west coast parks, we'd see them get a lot more press.

Add in Goliath, a B:TR mirror image (a coaster design that never gets old) and you have a great 1-2-3 punch of coasters. Granted there's not much more than that in terms of coasters, but those three alone make SFFT worth the trip.

Theming at SFFT is always great, but several things have disappeared from the park. First, they no longer do the wonderful Wild West Stun Show shoot'em up in Crack Axle Canyon (At least I haven't seen it in years). The street shows in Rockville are not nearly as common (I'm not a show fan, but it's always a nice touch at the park.)

The biggest disappointment is the removed theming on Road Runner Express. The queue used to be filled with ACME antics. Wile E Coyote used to pull some tricks on the coaster - like painting a false tunnel and trying to drop a boulder on the trains, but he is nowhere to be found. These were great touches to a mediocre coaster, and I really miss them.

Fiesta Texas desperately needs some new flats. Yes, it got Sky Screamer, but other than Scream! it has nothing in terms of big thrill flats. Frisbee is really fun, but other than that, it has very little.

I always enjoy my trips, but as my TR shows, SFFT is missing a little. I hope the new Rattler will be the BIG attraction that this park needs to get it back on the enthusiast map.

Thanks for reading.

- Pat-O

Re: TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 8/22/12 6:21:17 AM
Superman Krypton Coaster and Poltergeist ARE very good. Road Runner Express is not mediocre. True it is a bit short but I would still say it is much better than most of the other Arrow mine trains. I would add Pandemonium and say that we have a good 1-2-3-4 punch. I hope that whatever is going in Rattler's spot will help that even more. Even though I have gotton bored with the Batman clones, Goliath here and Great White at SeaWorld San Antonio look less dark and depressing than the others. Fiesta Texas does need new flats and is missing a little, however its space is limited. For now it is still my third favorite SF park and slides in to my top 10 overall.
Re: TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/22/12 4:11:13 PM
Six Flags Fiesta Texas is like most Six Flags parks. The last time I went, they were only running one train on Poltergeist, and the line was really long.It's not worth the wait because I have one at on of my home-park's , (Jokers Jinx: Six Flags America), and it's not a dark version like Flight of Fear. They have a decent set of rides though. I think Six Flags Fiesta Texas is in desperate needs of paint-job's. Superman Krypton coaster looked awful the last time I went there. Poltergeist's paint is okay, the Boomerang needs a new paint-job though, and the Road runner's express desperately needs. one.

* This post was modified at 8/22/12 4:43:58 PM *

Re: TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/23/12 8:39:13 AM
Thanks for the TR Pat-O. I agree with Superman being the best floorless out there (atleast what I've ridden so far) and Poltergeist is a great coaster; It's also a nice aesthetic touch how Poltergeist's track color, and supports, matches to the colors on the Scream tower complex. I did noticeably felt the lack of theming on Road Runner, the only thing that I remember was some plateau looking rock with a 'V notch' on the top of the cliff. I agree with Rock about Roadrunner's actually ride experience not being average, it's the only mine train that I felt a jolt of air on; It has some pretty good swooping drops too. My only RR mini-knit pick is the exposed layout with virtually no trees at all, I like mine train layouts to be hidden, revealing surprises throughout the course.

* This post was modified at 8/23/12 8:41:14 AM *

Re: TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/23/12 11:06:54 AM
Nice TR Pat. When I think of Six Flags Fiesta Texas, two things come to mind. One of coarse is the coaster collection, with Superman headlining the group. The other is how nice the park is. You have the cliffs that the coasters are built on, and you have the wonderful theming. I remember a games area that was themed to big city street, with hanging traffic lights. I thought that was very clever. The boardwalk was nice and the wild west area was done well also. I also remember a section that looked liked a European country, similar to Busch Gardens Europe. As far as the Texas park's, SF Fiesta Texas was small, but themed nice. SF Over Texas was really nice, with an awesome coaster collection. That park is my top 10 favorites. SF Astoworld was like a step back in time to the 1970's, and I mean that as a compliment. I was a tad disappointed in Sea World. The Florida counterpart is so much nicer, but Steel Eel made it worth visiting. Texas is a great state for coaster enthusiasts. Hopefully someday I'll get back down there with my kids. I have yet to ride Boardwalk Bullet, and as right now that is #1 on my wooden coaster most wanted list. I've told my kids about the Texas parks numerous times, and they're eager to get down there and experience them for themselves.
Re: TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/23/12 11:24:08 AM
^^^Yeah, I flirted with the idea of visiting SWSA, but besides Steel Eel there were too many 'been there done that' type of rides, and other attractions there for me to visit it. Especially with me recently visiting SWO, and that SKY HIGH ninety dollar park admission, so continuing on to Cali was a very easy decision.

* This post was modified at 8/23/12 11:40:04 AM *

Re: TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/23/12 4:55:44 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Six Flags Fiesta Texas is like most Six Flags parks. The last time I went, they were only running one train on Poltergeist, and the line was really long.It's not worth the wait because I have one at on of my home-park's , (Jokers Jinx: Six Flags America), and it's not a dark version like Flight of Fear. They have a decent set of rides though. I think Six Flags Fiesta Texas is in desperate needs of paint-job's. Superman Krypton coaster looked awful the last time I went there. Poltergeist's paint is okay, the Boomerang needs a new paint-job though, and the Road runner's express desperately needs. one.

I'd wait for Joker's Jinx if I ever visited SFA. I can't get enough of that ride. We rode it ten times last week. 6 without getting off.

SFFT does need some paint, but it's in a lot better shape than many other SF parks I've visited. They have very vibrant color schemes all over the park, and seeing those colorful serpentine steel structures climbing out of the rock quarry is a beautiful site.

- Pat-O

Re: TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/23/12 4:58:06 PM
theRock-steel said:

Road Runner Express is not mediocre.

I'd say Road Runner Express is mediocre now that they've removed or simply failed to maintain most of the theming. The fun themed stuff made the ride unique and very enjoyable. Now it's fun, but it leaves me disappointed knowing what it used to be like.

Yes, some of those turns are pretty intense, but it still falls into my mediocre category now.

- Pat-O

Re: TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/23/12 5:01:41 PM
[quote I did noticeably felt the lack of theming on Road Runner, the only thing that I remember was some plateau looking rock with a 'V notch' on the top of the cliff. [\quote]

Yes, that is where Wile E Coyote used to stand with a long lever under the boulder. As the train neared, he would push the lever, and the boulder would begin to fall off the cliff ledge and appear to nearly fall on the train.

Also, at the end of the first drop you can still see where a false tunnel is painted on a wall, giving the appearance that the train could run through the tunnel or smash into the wall. A 3-D Wile E used to be hanging there with a paint can, but he's no longer there.

Plus the queue used to really play up the ACME theme.

- Pat-O

Re: TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/23/12 5:05:29 PM
frontrow said:

Nice TR Pat. When I think of Six Flags Fiesta Texas, two things come to mind. One of coarse is the coaster collection, with Superman headlining the group. The other is how nice the park is. You have the cliffs that the coasters are built on, and you have the wonderful theming. I remember a games area that was themed to big city street, with hanging traffic lights. I thought that was very clever. The boardwalk was nice and the wild west area was done well also. I also remember a section that looked liked a European country, similar to Busch Gardens Europe. As far as the Texas park's, SF Fiesta Texas was small, but themed nice.

All of that theming is a remnant of the orignal Fiesta Texas which was partially owned by USAA. It was a theme/show park with only 1 adult coaster - the Rattler. They did a find job of building up the park. SF has done OK with maintaining the nice themes. My only complaint is the small super heroes section near S:KC which in no way fits into the other themes.

Other than that, it is the most beautiful SF park I have been to.

- Pat-O

Re: TR: Six Flags Fiesta Texas by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/23/12 7:49:24 PM
LoneStar said:

Fatsoccerguy191 said:

I'd wait for Joker's Jinx if I ever visited SFA. I can't get enough of that ride. We rode it ten times last week. 6 without getting off.

Poltergeist has the best colors. Teal and yellow, just marvelous. Superman : Krypton Coaster really needs a new paint-job though, and so does Boomerang.
SFFT does need some paint, but it's in a lot better shape than many other SF parks I've visited. They have very vibrant color schemes all over the park, and seeing those colorful serpentine steel structures climbing out of the rock quarry is a beautiful site.

- Pat-O