Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale

Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
8/21/12 at
12:33:33 PM

At least this APPEARS to be Hershey's. I don't have the credit and I probably never will. It's the only coaster I've never been on that resides in a park I get to regularly (i.e, at least once a year.)

Well, this is ONE way to pay for the new restraints on ThighCrush.

http://www.rides4u.com/view/2806

* This post was modified at 8/21/12 12:48:17 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/21/12 1:42:02 PM
If you go there annually, why have you been unable to ride?

I go every couple of years to Hershey and have been able to ride every year but this year.

The ride was closed on June 4th.

Has Roller Soaker been open at all this year?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/21/12 2:12:25 PM
Great_Ump said:

Wasn't that I was unable, I just didn't ride it. Regardless of what some on here may think, I'm not a TOTAL credit whore...:)

I actually didn't even notice whether it was running on out little URC jaunt in June. Maybe one of my companions did.

It was just never a priority for me. I rode Slippery When Wet at HRP, which was similar, and it really did nothing for me.

Mike

Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/21/12 4:00:41 PM
We rode a similar ride (or perhaps the same ride) at Carowinds about ten years ago. It was fun but not that much fun. OTOH, Top Gun (aka Afterburn) certainly was worth several re-rides.

Speaking of Top Gun, we were just at Kings Island and only got in three rides, but our first one was on the original Top Gun... only to later learn that at around the same time, the director of that film, Tony Scott had committed suicide, presumably after learning he had inoperable brain cancer. RIP Mr Scott.

And if KI is taking out SOB, can Flight Deck be far behind?

Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/21/12 8:17:12 PM
beastmaster said:

Great_Ump said:

Wasn't that I was unable, I just didn't ride it. Regardless of what some on here may think, I'm not a TOTAL credit whore...:)

I actually didn't even notice whether it was running on out little URC jaunt in June. Maybe one of my companions did.

It was just never a priority for me. I rode Slippery When Wet at HRP, which was similar, and it really did nothing for me.

Mike

Didn't notice if it was open and I second that thought. I have never had the desire to ride it either although I still think you're a credit whore, LOL! 8-P

Jen

Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/22/12 11:13:54 PM
If they do not find a buyer, do you guys think it will come down anyway?
Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/12 6:00:55 AM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Probably. There's been rumors of them removing this, TrailBlazer, Sidewinder, or Storm Runner (HAH! Gotcha on that last one, Jen!) There's usually some grain of truth to any rumor, so I'm guessing Trail Blazer and Sidewinder are safe...for now (dum-da-DUM-dum)

Mike

Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 8:33:08 AM
beastmaster said:

Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Probably. There's been rumors of them removing this, TrailBlazer, Sidewinder, or Storm Runner (HAH! Gotcha on that last one, Jen!) There's usually some grain of truth to any rumor, so I'm guessing Trail Blazer and Sidewinder are safe...for now (dum-da-DUM-dum)

Mike

Why do you try and make me cry? :~(

I'm getting ready now to go and get launched a few times before I have to run a bunch of errands. Lets see how many times I can ride on a cloudy Thurs am before I have to leave the platform! (I'm thinking 2 if if I'm lucky LOL!)

Jen

Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by kdleader kdleader Profile at 8/23/12 9:01:10 AM
Great_Ump said:

Has Roller Soaker been open at all this year?

Joe
Great_Ump

Roller Soaker has been operating this year.

I hit the Boardwalk only one time each year and usually take a ride on the Roller Soaker. Not his year (July 25) as the line was almost an hour wait.

Would be nice to see it removed and, if they would fit, possibly add a mat racer and some new slides to the footprint.

Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/23/12 9:04:59 AM
beastmaster said:

Well, this is ONE way to pay for the new restraints on ThighCrush.

LOL ThighCrush, Mike you always have been a trendsetter with nicknames. :)

Talk about a dying coaster breed, these H20 dumping, water nozzle targeted, low capacity coasters. I too have ridden Slippery When Wet, and I agree that it's experience was 'eh' at best.

Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by drachen drachen Profile at 8/23/12 9:09:40 AM
For all of you Roller Coaster Tycoon fans out there...

I thought it was hilarious. Even though I've enjoyed the ride every time I've ridden it, I understand why it's on the block.

Photo is from the Project 2012 Facebook group, by a fellow named Cody Risko.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/12 9:15:45 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Why do you try and make me cry? :~(

Jen

Payback..for trying to mess with my new kicks at GA :)

Besides, that was a pretty good line. You're a poet and don't know it!

Mike

Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/23/12 9:23:23 AM
LMAO! Hilarious pic Drachen. *clicks the demolish button* :)
Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/12 10:47:37 AM
Overbanked said:

LOL ThighCrush, Mike you always have been a trendsetter with nicknames. :)

I have?

Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/23/12 11:13:46 AM
^^^I take it that you've heard the name from somewhere else. That's what I get for speculating. :)
Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/12 11:23:29 AM
Overbanked said:

^^^I take it that you've heard the name from somewhere else. That's what I get for speculating. :)

No, it was MOSTLY my creation, inspired by something similar I saw. I just can't think of any other nicknames I've coined to be called a "trend-setter"..other than Kinda Krap, which I don't use anymore now that I "KINDA" like the ride.

Mike

False Alarm...For Now? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/12 7:47:34 PM
"Staying for the season"

Still figure it's history for 2013.

http://www.ldnews.com/latestnews/ci_21382505/roller-coaster-not-sale

Re: False Alarm...For Now? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 8:12:43 PM
beastmaster said:

"Staying for the season"

Still figure it's history for 2013.

http://www.ldnews.com/latestnews/ci_21382505/roller-coaster-not-sale

They paid 8 million for that?! Seriously?!

Jen

Re: False Alarm...For Now? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/12 8:18:54 PM
Yeah, that blew my mind, too when I saw that figure.
Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by drachen drachen Profile at 8/23/12 9:37:01 PM
What's that sound I hear? Oh, it must be my BS alarm... This ride is very likely "for sale" - as in, "let's see how much could we get for this thing before we pay someone to tear it down."

Regarding the price tag, when you factor in all of the plumbing work that went into Roller Soaker, $8 million for the entire project sounds about right to me. I would imagine about 30% of that went to the ride manufacturer, if I were to make a guess.

* This post was modified at 8/23/12 9:39:40 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 8/26/12 6:47:40 PM
Good ole roller broker...I used to hate running this ride.
Re: Hershey's Roller Soaker For Sale by kdleader kdleader Profile at 12/26/12 8:41:50 AM
Announcement regarding the removal of Roller Soaker and plans for the footprint.

From local paper