Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari!

Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari!

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
8/20/12 at
7:40:38 PM

I can't believe this! I will have to go and take a trip through one last time. I was planning on stopping there Thursday morning for a few KK rides I may have to go a little earlier and take a safari ride. :~(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/6-flags-in-nj-to-stop-letting-visitors-drive-through-animal-park-end-safari-season-early/2012/08/20/b9dbbb24-eb16-11e1-866f-60a00f604425_story.html

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/20/12 7:53:24 PM
38 years, I've never been through the safari. My streak will continue.

10 million people have gone through? I don't know why, but that doesn't seem like a lot in 38 years.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by alpengeistno3 at 8/20/12 9:34:12 PM
I was just about to post this, but you beat me to it, Jen!

Anyone want to speculate on what could be coming to the Safari area? Without being burdened to provide car access, it would seem that area that was cleared of the monkeys would be an ideal park expansion point...RIGHT WHERE MEDUSA/BIZARRO CURRENTLY RESIDES!!!!!!

Paul

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/20/12 10:23:06 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

I was just about to post this, but you beat me to it, Jen!


Anyone want to speculate on what could be coming to the Safari area? Without being burdened to provide car access, it would seem that area that was cleared of the monkeys would be an ideal park expansion point...RIGHT WHERE MEDUSA/BIZARRO CURRENTLY RESIDES!!!!!!

Paul

They aren't removing it, LOL! Although that thought made me dream of a Dive Coaster for a minute. It was spectacular!

They are apparently going to revamp it and make it more of a wildlife park (probably like San Diego's) where you only have guided tours and behind the scenes things to do. BUT they could revamp it and make it a little smaller so a new ride could fit! (There I go day dreaming again!)

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/21/12 9:19:40 AM
I'm sure one of three things will happen:

It will remain as is, with trams and guided tours only... OR

It will remain as above with the land area decreased, to allow expansion of the ride park..there's nothing out there beyond Toro, Bizarro, and the Arena.. OR

It will open as a walk-through zoo ala ZooAmerica at Hershey, with shelters and cages.

Mike

* This post was modified at 8/21/12 11:31:55 AM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/21/12 11:08:42 AM
Not shocked at this...but I am at the same time. Crazy it's finally coming to an end. Although it will turn into a "zoo" type thing. But I won't pay any extra for a tour of a place that I could tour myself in my car before lol.

Sad day though.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by alpengeistno3 at 8/21/12 8:00:02 PM
Most of the time, rumors don't pan out to be more than just that. But there just seems to be too much coincidence between Six Flags seeming renewal of the ride rotation program and now this sudden modification to the Safari (after the announcement of CP's Gatekeeper).

I heard many rumors when I was working for Busch: a "ski lift themed coaster" in Rhinefield and "something called a hypercoaster" in Festa Italia. Seems like those two came out true, along with that "possible removal of GASM".

Paul

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/21/12 8:13:54 PM
beastmaster said:

I'm sure one of three things will happen:


It will remain as is, with trams and guided tours only... OR

It will remain as above with the land area decreased, to allow expansion of the ride park..there's nothing out there beyond Toro, Bizarro, and the Arena.. OR

It will open as a walk-through zoo ala ZooAmerica at Hershey, with shelters and cages.

Mike

I think they want to make it like San Diego's wild animal park. No way will it be a walk through zoo - too many animals - too massive to do without proper enclosures and to enclose animals that had so much space would be horrible for them and cause too many psychological problems. They already started with the feed the giraffes thing and a behind the scenes tour. I bet that's what they're doing.

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/21/12 8:14:39 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Most of the time, rumors don't pan out to be more than just that. But there just seems to be too much coincidence between Six Flags seeming renewal of the ride rotation program and now this sudden modification to the Safari (after the announcement of CP's Gatekeeper).


I heard many rumors when I was working for Busch: a "ski lift themed coaster" in Rhinefield and "something called a hypercoaster" in Festa Italia. Seems like those two came out true, along with that "possible removal of GASM".

Paul

Someone start a rumor about a dive coaster please! ;~)

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/21/12 8:23:58 PM
GoYanks34 said:


Someone start a rumor about a dive coaster please! ;~)

Jen

I heard King's Dominion's getting a dive coaster.

Oh, wait..you meant GAdv. Ooopsie.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/21/12 10:08:17 PM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:



Someone start a rumor about a dive coaster please! ;~)

Jen

I heard King's Dominion's getting a dive coaster.

Oh, wait..you meant GAdv. Ooopsie.

You're mean! I'm surprised you weren't meaner by saying it was going to that profane "D" park that shall not be mentioned!

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by skc2000 at 8/22/12 3:54:31 AM
Living in brooklyn ny most of my life i have been to SFGADV(six flags great adventures)more than 70 times since my first visit back in 1977.Now if you sit in any seat on the left side of the train you can see the baboons for a couple as seconds as you are climbing up the lift hill on medusa/bizarro. Whenever i ride the coaster i always try to sit in the very left side of the train so that i can take a quick peek at the baboons as the train is climbing up the lift hill.

Now i do not have a car & everytime that i have gone through the safari i always took the tour bus.Now the very last section which is the baboons about 8 or 9 years ago they caged all the baboons about 8 or 9 years ago.Until they caged the baboons these baboons used to climb all over every single vehicle that went through the area.Before entering the baboon section there was a warning about it & drivers that didn,t want their vehicles stomped all over by those baboons had the option to use the bypass road where they had the option to see the baboons from their car behind the gate.

Now since i did not have my own car & everytime that i went through the safari it was a tour bus the baboons climbing all over the bus did not bother me because it,s not my vehicle but if it would have been my own car i would not have driven my own car through the safari like that.i remember one time a baboon tried to rip off the vehicles license plate.But because it wasn,t my own vehicle
(i took the tour bus)it didn,t bother me at all & i happened to enjoy it pretty much watching the baboons climbing all over the vehicles like that.

Now since they caged the baboons about 8 or 9 years ago i have been through the safari only once since then but i have been through the safari about 20 times before the baboons got caged in & i still remember the damage that those baboons did to every vehicle that went through.

Now before the baboons got caged in every other section of the safari was nice but nothing that exciting.i mean living in brooklyn ny whenever i went to the bronx zoo it was the same thing but watching the baboons climb all over the vehicles that was a real thrill & i still remember videotaping it in 2001 & 2002 before they finally got caged in.whenever i get a chance i will post those baboon videos online whenever i get a chance.

Now that the baboons got caged in about 8 or 9 years ago there is nothing really that exciting about going through the safari.i mean you can now visit any zoo & see the same thing.

Now before they caged in the baboons whenever i rode medusa/bizarro i would always try to sit on the left side of the train & take a quick peek at the baboons as i am climbing up the lift hill on medusa/bizarro.I always used to enjoy watching that but that,s because it was not my vehicle that the baboons were doing damage to.If i had my own car i would not have driven my own vehicle through that baboon section(you had the option of using the bypass road & that,s what i would have done if it was my own vehicle)but it was always a big thrill watching the baboons climbing all over the the vehicles like that.I have videos from it that i took back in 2001 & 2002(before they got caged in)& i will post those videos online whenever i get a chance.

skc2000

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 1:39:12 PM
Took this today - this is why I would bet that they are going the wildlife park route:

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/12 1:41:50 PM
I'm simply amazed that they managed to spell "limited" incorrectly on the poster :)
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 1:56:36 PM
beastmaster said:

I'm simply amazed that they managed to spell "limited" incorrectly on the poster :)

LMAO! Good catch!

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/23/12 3:42:10 PM
How do they let stuff like that slip through the cracks??
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/12 4:10:14 PM
chitlins73 said:

How do they let stuff like that slip through the cracks??

Yeah, when you think of the number of people that see a professionally produced sign like that before it becomes a finished product...boggles the mind, it does.

Hey Jen, BTW, your report didn't say if you actually drove through for old times' sake. Did you?

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags Great Adventure to stop drive thru safari! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/12 4:26:02 PM
beastmaster said:

chitlins73 said:

How do they let stuff like that slip through the cracks??

Yeah, when you think of the number of people that see a professionally produced sign like that before it becomes a finished product...boggles the mind, it does.

Hey Jen, BTW, your report didn't say if you actually drove through for old times' sake. Did you?

Nope - it was really cloudy this morning. I'll go another day. My mom wants to go before it closes so I figure it's better to be a passenger so I can take pictures easier than if I was driving.

Jen