Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12

Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12

Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile

Posted:
8/20/12 at
7:16:15 PM

I went to my home park Six Flags America in Maryland alone on 8-16-12 one last time before school starts next Tuesday. It was nice to find out I went on National Roller Coaster day!, I started my day with my dad dropping me off at the entrance

That was taken when I left btw :)

I headed for Apocalypse: The Last Stand first.

It was fun but a lot of head banging, but it's okay for B&M's first coaster in 1990.

Then I headed for Gotham City and Batwing

I decided to quickly stop for a ride on Jokers Jinx first because I was in the mood for a launch coaster.

This coaster is my favorite in the whole park, but I like King's Dominion's version much better!!

Hmm. why are there Superman logos on Jokers Jinx fence?

Speaking of Superman....

Superman: ride of Steel was "Temporarily Unavailable."

There was also something that looked like a forklift next to one of the trains on the storage track..

Now headed off for Batwing..

Nice decorations...

Batwing has entertaining signs in it's queue...

The ride is horrid. It desperately needs a paint-job..some spots on the supports purple colors has completely faded to white.. the supports natural habitat. i circled some of it in red for you.

I didn't feel like taking anymore pics. of Batwing after that. I even bumped into a girl who said she's a member of the park's website, and her exact words were, "This paint issue is ridiculous." after that some people in line heard us and agreed with us about Batwing's colors too.

Six Flags America got rid of most of there flat rides, so her's one, it's called "Riddle Me This", it's a Round-Up ride.

After that, I went to the Southwest Territory, where my first ever roller coaster once stood.

It's not that big of a deal, it's only a Vekoma Invertigo. Okay it is kind of a big deal for me.It was my first coaster, and a major attraction for SFA. It holds a special place in my heart , but the even bigger deal is what happened to the area it used to stand.

There is tall grass growing out of the fence, and the station is like half-demolished. They took the air gates and mechanical floor out, and the station floor is in pieces. I think they were to lazy to at least mow the lawn there, because a bigger fence wont fix that, because Capital Railways (The park's train.) goes past there, and it will still look ugly.

Here's what happened to Two-Face's old entrance:

Cool game, do you have plans for that spot?, because nobody was fooled by that "Under Funstruction" sign that you put up for two years after Two-Face's removal!, the old entrance is surrounded by tables.

This is one of the things I hate. Please SFA Two-Face rest in peace.

After that I headed over to Wild One.

It looks so cool on the helix.

Wild One's lift hill, and the Falling Star Flat Ride..

I was bored in line so I took another picture..

After that I rode on one of the least painful Vekoma SLC's , Mind Eraser.

That erased my mind...

And I think that did too...

After that Superman re-opened!

A little after I rode it, it got stuck on the lift hill.

Sorry if you can't see it well, because I don't know how to zoom on my phone, and I was about to get in line for Jokers Jinx, and I heard someone say, "The Superman got stuck again!", so it was hard.

After that I got a couple more rides on Jokers Jinx, Mind Eraser, and Batwing.

Then I finally went and rode Roar:

A nice GCI woodie, that is still a little rough.

after that I bumped to a few friends from school, and then we rode Batwing one last time, and then the park closed.

Apocalypse has green lights at night.

On the way out, some percussion band was playing.

I had a great day overall, but Six Flags America really needs to step up their game.

* This post was modified at 8/20/12 9:58:20 PM *

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/20/12 8:18:45 PM
Nice photos and TR. When we were there last month, Batwing was the only coaster that was new to me. When I saw that paint, I thought has it been that long since my last visit. The paint on Batwing is terrible. Superman was shiny new on my last visit in 2000, now that's due for some new paint. Jokers Jinx was my daughter's favorite coaster at the park also. You're like me, you're critical of your home park. I tend to hold my home park to a high standard, and I'm disappointed when that standard isn't met. At least you got to get out, ride some coasters, and have a good time before school starts. I know we had a really good time when we visited the park. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it.
Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/21/12 6:43:53 PM
frontrow said:

Nice photos and TR. When we were there last month, Batwing was the only coaster that was new to me. When I saw that paint, I thought has it been that long since my last visit. The paint on Batwing is terrible. Superman was shiny new on my last visit in 2000, now that's due for some new paint. Jokers Jinx was my daughter's favorite coaster at the park also. You're like me, you're critical of your home park. I tend to hold my home park to a high standard, and I'm disappointed when that standard isn't met. At least you got to get out, ride some coasters, and have a good time before school starts. I know we had a really good time when we visited the park. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it.

Thanks, I agree with you on Superman. It turned pink at one point, and SFA finally re-painted it in 2010.

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/21/12 9:32:00 PM
Nice TR! I haven't been to SFA since maybe 08' or 09', and Batwing was starting to look sad back then with regards to the paint.

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out why they painted the Mind Eraser that awful Oscar Meyer Wiener color scheme! Those colors would look fine on a hot dog package but not a coaster! I know some people didn't like the old color scheme but this one is far worse and the ME should also be repainted a less sickening hue once they take care of Batwing.

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/21/12 9:47:07 PM
Schrecken said:

Nice TR! I haven't been to SFA since maybe 08' or 09', and Batwing was starting to look sad back then with regards to the paint.

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out why they painted the Mind Eraser that awful Oscar Meyer Wiener color scheme! Those colors would look fine on a hot dog package but not a coaster! I know some people didn't like the old color scheme but this one is far worse and the ME should also be repainted a less sickening hue once they take care of Batwing.

thanks, and I agree. They should make the colors match the Coyote Creek themeing better. Teal and red looked to winter-ish,although it stayed fresh. I think they should paint it chocolate milk brown track, or some sandy-colored track, with black supports. I know it sounds crazy, but I did it in RCT3, and it looks amazing!, SFA is so weirdly themed, Southwest Territory has Hispanic music playing in it, Two-Face was in Southwest Territory instead of Gotham.

This park needs something new, and when
I say "new", I mean something that's not re-painted and re-named, I.E: Hurricane Mountain - ZoomAzon Falls, and Typhoon Sea Coaster- Skull Mountain, or a new show. It needs something that's actually new.

* This post was modified at 8/21/12 9:53:03 PM *

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/22/12 4:40:05 PM
Schrecken said:

If you go to SFA's web page, and go to Mind eraser's photos gallery, all of the photos are from when it was still teal and red. They haven't updated in quite some time.

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/23/12 5:28:25 PM
Thanks for the TR and pics!

I prefer the outdoor Premier launched coasters over their indoor versions. First, Jokers Jinx and Poltergeist don't have brakes. FOF nearly comes to a complete stop.

Secondly, I love the visuals that the ride offes - the head choppers are amazing!

Did you ever ride JJ when it had OTSRs? I can't believe I actually enjoyed Poltergeist with OTSRs...the headbaning was horrible.

Too bad the removed Two Face. I got to ride Face Off at KI and I absolutely LOVED it. Too bad they are so hard to maintain.

- Pat-O

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/23/12 7:38:34 PM
LoneStar said:

I prefer the outdoor Premier launched coasters over their indoor versions. First, Jokers Jinx and Poltergeist don't have brakes. FOF nearly comes to a complete stop.

Secondly, I love the visuals that the ride offes - the head choppers are amazing!

Did you ever ride JJ when it had OTSRs? I can't believe I actually enjoyed Poltergeist with OTSRs...the headbaning was horrible.

Too bad the removed Two Face. I got to ride Face Off at KI and I absolutely LOVED it. Too bad they are so hard to maintain.

- Pat-O

Thank you, and no, I did not have a chance to ride the Jokers Jinx during it's OTSR's because I was only 6 years old in 02'. I did however ride the Two-Face in 06' and 07'. What's weird about Two-Face is that it "disappeared". Although, I am happy that I know have a Vekoma Invertigo near me again :) (Stinger Dorney Park). I liked KI's version best though.

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 9/1/12 11:11:08 PM
Thanks for the TR. The pics and descriptions are great! SFA is my "home park" too, although I grew up with the best park, CP. I am a LOT older than you, and I remember Python, which was there before Two Face.

I like SFA a lot. It is no CP, but a very nice small park. Superman is king for me there. I think it is as good as any hyper I have been on.

I think they really need a wild mouse or mine train coaster. There is nothing between "The Great Chase" and their woodies. They could benefit from a dark ride, such as a ride through haunted house or motion simulator.

MarathonRunner

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/2/12 2:22:26 AM
Lol, SFGadv could give up DK :) Wild mouse issue solved :)

to the OP: cool tr! And nice pics for the detailed visual.

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 9/2/12 5:04:25 PM
Phil,

As a SFA enthusiast, I would love to see DK in our park.

MarathonRunner

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/2/12 5:15:03 PM
Sweet! lol, SFA can have it :) But I do hope they invest some new coaster there. It is a shame the park doesn't get any love at all. And imo, Ride of Steel being down would be a big disappointment to me. That would be my main reason to visit the park besides all the other coasters and flat rides.

Lol, maybe relocate the soon to be dismantled bobsled coaster from great escape? (can it fit in two face's spot?)

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/2/12 8:01:09 PM
Great photo TR!

I also disagree with Joker's Jinx vs the indoor versions - I LOVED it and thought it was hands down better than both FOF's at KI and KD.

Can you please tell me which Vekoma SLC's are more painful than Mind Eraser so I NEVER ride them? LOL! I thought Mind Eraser was one of the most brutal coasters I've ever ridden!

Jen

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 9/5/12 3:26:15 PM
Kentucky Kingdom's has been the worst in my experience. My only other SLC's are Mind Eraser and Serial Thriller at Geauga Lake... hey, where did Serial Thriller wind up at anyway?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/5/12 3:43:15 PM
Great_Ump said:

hey, where did Serial Thriller wind up at anyway?

Joe
Great_Ump

Michigan's Adventure as Thunderhawk, if I'm not mistaken. I think the name had already been changed before the re-lo. I'm pretty sure it was called Thunderhawk when I rode at Geauga.

Serial Thriller's always been one of my favorite coaster names.

Mike

* This post was modified at 9/5/12 3:46:41 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 9/9/12 4:51:51 PM
I found Kong at Six Flags Discovery kingdom to be a very very painful Vekoma SLC.

Six Flags America really does need a new roller coaster. What surprises me is that the park is located only 20 mins. from Washington D.C. and yet it still lacks major improvments. What I don't like is when they get me excited and say their getting a new ride, and it's actually an old ride that was SBNO, and repainted/re-named, like Skull Mountain and ZoomAzon Falls. A new show doesn't really pump my blood either. I'm still mad at Shipiro for taking out Two-Face. If it was taken care of properly, it would have been fine. Itbugs me that there is tall gras poking out the fence, with a half-demolished station still there from a coaster that was dismantled three years ago. Bonzai Pipelines kind of excites me, but I always think about the dry side first. Batwing is in desperate need of paint, and the way rides are taken care of these days there is sad. In 2006, the park was in okay shape, now, it's like a typical Six Flags park. It's okay though, because I still have Kings Dominion :), Six Flags America is a nice little park, but it tottaly need more love.

* This post was modified at 9/9/12 4:58:07 PM *

Re: Six Flags America (Home Park) Trip Report: 8/16/12 by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 9/9/12 7:38:16 PM
LoneStar said:

- Pat-O

I agree about the outdoor "mad cobra" or "pasta bowl" type rides. Premier did good with those two US ones. The lap bars are a plus. Vekoma has nice indoor ones for Disney, but they have the OTSR's. Even so, they are still better than either of the ones at King's Dominion or King's Island.

I never got to ride Two Face; it never was working on the one day I was at SFA. I have ridden two other invertigo though (KI and Dorney). They ride a little rough going back but are still much better than the standard sit down boomerangs. I rode Stinger twice first thing and I heard that it was down for the rest of the day. KI's is the only one that I ever heard of that hasn't been a nightmare. (The giant Déjà Vu's are hard to keep working too.)

There is no doubt that Ride of Steel is the top dog there, however the woodens are what I remember the most.

I don't see a big difference within the SLC's. I have ridden both Mind Erasers, Flight Deck, Hangman, and T2. The only one that stands out as being a little less rough is Gauntlet, but that is in an unknown park in the middle of no where (Arkansas).