Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Western Pennsylvania Trip Report

Western Pennsylvania Trip Report

theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile

Posted:
8/18/12 at
7:23:17 AM

Tuesday, July 31

FIRST PARK - KENNYWOOD (near Pittsburgh, PA)

(I need to warn you: this did not go well, so you won't like what you are about to hear.) As is normal this place is a little hard to get to. A map only got me so far. Today I heard from locals that side streets with many stop signs IS the way to go. They did have free parking if you are willing to walk a little farther. Ok, I'm game. I got to the gate right when the rides are suppose to open (11:00). The lines were backed up almost into the paid parking lot; this is not good. It turns out that this was coupon day, so half the family can get in free as long as the otherhalf is paying. I was going to split this day and leave a little early to go to another park that I had never been to. Many things did not get done here this time. Ok I finally got in, so I went off to the new coaster. Next was Phantom's Revenge, my old favorite in this park. They were having problems with it, so I had to go back later. It was much later and there was an hour or so wait. While waiting for that, I tried Swing Shot. Exterminator had a relatively short wait so that was next. Black Widow should be soon because it is new and might get busy. Turtle is one of many uncommon flats there, so that was next. In order, this was when I got on Phantom's Revenge. The lines for everything were getting crazy, so not much else was done. Between some serious rain drops, I did get to another flat - Bayern Kurve. Sky Rocket now had a shorter wait, so that was worth a second try. Because of the rain and the open queue, Garfield's Nightmare was easier to get on. Because of crowds and my time restraints that was it for Kennywood today.

Sky Rocket -- a nice but small Premier launch coaster. Going over the first hill gives some good ejector air. The inversions and twisting turns are sweet. Lap bars always make rides like this even better.

Swing Shot - a nice giant swing. Even though this didn't seem as tall as others, with the killer air time way up in the sky, I love these things.

Exterminator - similar to the Dark Knight enclosed wild mouse, but by a different builder. This was very painful in parts, so there was nothing special here.

Black Widow - I sat for a little while waiting for the restraints to work right (everyone's has to go down and lock at once). This was ok, but we got a short ride because it broke down. They offered to have us wait off to the side for another try, but I wasn't sure how long fixing it was going to be.

Phantom's Revenge - a good hyper with one of the best second drops anywhere. It's a little rough at the end with sharp turns and small hills. It has unusual restrainst. If they had changed to the newer Morgan cars I think this would have finished with a little more comfort.

Turtle - an old "classic". You go around and around, up and down small hills while sitting in large cars connected together. This might be great for kids who might be scared to ride coasters.

Bayern Kurve - a bobsled themed ride in which you go around and around at high speed. It was not bad.

Garfield's Nightmare - a nice enclosed family boat ride in which you wear 3D glasses. Garfield is having a bad dream that his food and "friends" are fighting back. If you like the comic as I always have, this is silly but fun.

-----------------------------------------------

SECOND PARK - WALDAMEER (Erie, PA)

This was also a little hard to get to but I knew it was off the lake and near the end of I-79, so I made it. What a nice friendly small "family" park. This one, Dollywood, Knoebels, and Holiday World are kind of in the same boat and all a must. For here, parking is free and a wristband gets you on everything. Prices are a little more reasonable. It has some flats that are a little less common, but they are the ones I love.

Ravine Flyer II - the big draw for us. This is a Gravity Group wooden with steel supports that never stops. A tunnel over a road going both directions is a blast! Riding in the dark at the end of the day added to the thrills. This would be a top ten wooden for many that rode it. Ride Count - 5

Steel Dragon - an interesting Maurer Söhne spinning coaster. These are fun; kind of a thrilling ride for ten year olds. Ride Count - 2

Comet - a very good smaller wooden. It has many little bunny hops giving good airtime. Again, people in the middle of being a kid seemed to love it. I rode it also after the sun went down; there was more kid's screaming then.
Ride Count - 5

Ravine Flyer 3 - a kiddie ride. You never know; sometimes just trying to get a credit puts you on something a lot better than you expect. This was not one of those times. At least the train didn't look like a giant bug. My rule: I can ride it if the hill is taller than ten feet. Ride Count - 1/2

Mega Vortex - one of those large spinning disks on a 50 foot long u-shaped track. I love these things; there is lots of air as you go up to the very top.
Ride Count - 1

Ferris Wheel, Sky-Ride, Paratrooper - these are all must rides for me. I am kind of nostalgic about these things since you might find them in old carnivals.
Ride Count - 1 Each

Re: Western Pennsylvania Trip Report by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/18/12 8:39:22 AM
theRock-steel said:

Exterminator - similar to the Dark Knight enclosed wild mouse, but by a different builder.

I wouldn't call 'em similar, for two reasons.

1. Dark Knight doesn't spin.
2. Exterminator is fun.

I'm heading to Kennywood next month for the first time in over three years, so I appreciated reading this. I haven't been on SkyRocket, and Bayern Kurve is calling my name.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Western Pennsylvania Trip Report by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/18/12 9:06:33 AM
Nice TR. Kennywood is our home park. One of my complaints about that place is that it usually is very crowded. My son went with his friends on July 25th and the lines were somewhat manageable. My daughter went with her friends on August 2nd and she said the park was very crowded. A friend of mine was there 2 days ago, and he was complaining how crowded it was. Kennywood is nice small to midsize park, but generates a crowd that you would normally have at larger parks. I give their marketing department a lot of credit. Not only do they have discount days like the day when you where there, but they have ethnic days and community picnic days. A lot of the local businesses hold their company picnics there. It's really hard to find a day that Kennywood isn't crowded. Now Fall Fantasy has started, so you have marching bands and their families at the park everyday. In order to ride the 6 coasters, the old unique flats, and the popular newer flats, you need the whole day. Even on a slower day lines are 20 to 30 minutes.

Waldameer is park that seems to be improving every year. Ever since Ravine Flyer II has put them on the map, the park is growing every year in terms of attractions. I haven't been there this year, and probably won't get there this year. Waldameer is place that I really have fun when I visit the park. Even though it is a small park, we usually stay the majority of day. They have a nice collection of classic and modern rides. I read that you liked Ravine Flyer II, but where do you rank it? Would you consider it a top 10 wooden coaster? Just curious. Well I'm glad you came up from Florida to enjoy some of our local parks. If I would have know in advance, I probably could have met up with you at Kennywood. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Western Pennsylvania Trip Report by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/18/12 9:23:25 AM
beastmaster said:

theRock-steel said:

Exterminator - similar to the Dark Knight enclosed wild mouse, but by a different builder.

I wouldn't call 'em similar, for two reasons.

1. Dark Knight doesn't spin.
2. Exterminator is fun.

I'm heading to Kennywood next month for the first time in over three years, so I appreciated reading this. I haven't been on SkyRocket, and Bayern Kurve is calling my name.

Mike

Do you know what day you going to Kennywood?

Re: Western Pennsylvania Trip Report by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/18/12 9:51:12 PM
Shoot me an e-mail, Ken. I'll let you know what I'm thinking.

sonbeast1964@yahoo.com

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Western Pennsylvania Trip Report by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 8/19/12 8:36:35 AM
frontrow said:

Nice TR. Kennywood is our home park. One of my complaints about that place is that it usually is very crowded. My son went with his friends on July 25th and the lines were somewhat manageable. My daughter went with her friends on August 2nd and she said the park was very crowded. A friend of mine was there 2 days ago, and he was complaining how crowded it was. Kennywood is nice small to midsize park, but generates a crowd that you would normally have at larger parks. I give their marketing department a lot of credit. Not only do they have discount days like the day when you where there, but they have ethnic days and community picnic days. A lot of the local businesses hold their company picnics there. It's really hard to find a day that Kennywood isn't crowded. Now Fall Fantasy has started, so you have marching bands and their families at the park everyday. In order to ride the 6 coasters, the old unique flats, and the popular newer flats, you need the whole day. Even on a slower day lines are 20 to 30 minutes.

Waldameer is park that seems to be improving every year. Ever since Ravine Flyer II has put them on the map, the park is growing every year in terms of attractions. I haven't been there this year, and probably won't get there this year. Waldameer is place that I really have fun when I visit the park. Even though it is a small park, we usually stay the majority of day. They have a nice collection of classic and modern rides. I read that you liked Ravine Flyer II, but where do you rank it? Would you consider it a top 10 wooden coaster? Just curious. Well I'm glad you came up from Florida to enjoy some of our local parks. If I would have know in advance, I probably could have met up with you at Kennywood. Thanks for sharing.

I appreciate the fill in on Kennywood. I don't think that you would have liked going around with someone who was ticked off the whole time. Being an "expert", you might have helped out though.

My ride list is very long. Ravine Flyer II is ranked at #13 out of 68 active woodens. That may seem a little low. Keep in mind that I love Great Coasters International so there are 6 of those near the top (including Lightning Racer that is 2 coasters). Ravine is just below Beast and Voyage which are much longer.