Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line

Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line

Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile

Posted:
8/16/12 at
5:46:37 PM

Please stop using acronyms in the subject line.

This rule is very important for search engine visibility and for our forum search feature.

I've also had multiple complaints from lurkers who've been reading, but don't know what you're talking about. You're wasting your time writing content when you make it hard to find and lessen the chances of it being read.

The proper way to use an acronym is in the body of your message when repeating a word over and over. Type the entire word once, place the acronym in parenthesis and then repeat the acronym when repeating that word throughout the rest of the post. Example- Disneyland Paris (DLP)

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by Patripman Patripman Profile at 8/16/12 6:12:14 PM
So for 15 years we used PPP in the subject line and all of sudden nobody understands. By the way PPP means, oh forget it.

Patripman

Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/16/12 7:30:27 PM
PPP, is an example of an an exception.

I'm not going to bore you all with the details on why it is important, but when searching the forum you will get less accurate results for a search of "CP" versus "Cedar Point". Also, an upcoming change will make it so search ignores all words of three characters or less to produce more accurate results, but many great posts will never be seen if they don't contain the actual word.

Also, when browsing search results on say Bing, Yahoo or Google what title reads better?

TR: Cedar Point July 2012
- or -
TR: CP July 2012

New Coaster At SFMM
- or -
New Coaster For Six Flags Magic Mountain

Is it really too much to ask? Do I try to steer the users here wrong? I want to see that users who contribute here get as many readers for their posts as possible.

Also, in reviewing recent searches I can see that more search with the actual words, not the acronyms.

-Eric

* This post was modified at 8/16/12 7:32:13 PM *

Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by Patripman Patripman Profile at 8/16/12 7:42:20 PM
By the way Eric you visiting PPP this year? Or any thoughts for a URC3 next year?

Patripman

Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by glutton glutton Profile at 8/16/12 8:24:30 PM
Thank you Eric, this seems like a useful change. I've been a long time visitor and occasional poster on this forum, and it is sometimes tricky figuring out what people are talking about. I wish other forums (on different subjects) would do the same thing, so people don't feel so clueless when reading posts full of initials and abbreviations!
Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 8/17/12 10:39:44 AM
Makes sense to me. I don't start to many threads anymore, but I'll be sure to be more careful when I do. I know that when I'm doing searches I don't search for "CP" "SFMM" or things like that, and the rare times I've tried searching for SDC I've gotten some rather strange results to say the least.

And I have to remember that there are a lot of other people who use and read these forums who aren't long time readers or familiar with our abbreviations. It's a good reminder.

Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/17/12 1:12:58 PM
Patripman said:

By the way PPP means, oh forget it.
Patripman

Ask Bernard...
;-)

Mike B.
Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/17/12 5:37:18 PM
Got it! and no, it's not too much to ask. I think I've always thought about this in the back of my head.

Will try to remember this for future threads that I start.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/17/12 7:35:40 PM
Bernard, I am supposed to go on a trip to Peru that overlaps with PPP, but I'm 98% certain I am going to cancel that trip, so that opens the possibility of going to PPP.
Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by Patripman Patripman Profile at 8/19/12 9:20:03 PM
Dom and I will be in Las Vegas for 7 days getting back right before PPP so we are planning that weekend. Not sure who else will be goingt.

Patripman

Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by sparky sparky Profile at 8/20/12 12:13:41 PM
We will be there. I will attempt a ride or two on Phoenix in between Syd's Kiddie Whip marathons.
Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/21/12 5:44:50 AM
sparky said:

Syd's Kiddie Whip marathons.

Dare I ask?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/21/12 9:21:26 AM
Great_Ump said:

sparky said:

Syd's Kiddie Whip marathons.

Dare I ask?

Joe
Great_Ump

Mind out of the gutter, Joe. I can honestly say I knew exactly what Sparky meant :)

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/21/12 11:04:34 AM
Sparky and I go back and forth in this manner all the time. He's used to it.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/22/12 12:27:55 PM
sparky said:

We will be there. I will attempt a ride or two on Phoenix in between Syd's Kiddie Whip marathons.

I'd be happy to keep Amanda company while you attend to your kid Syd.

Mike B.

...this thread has been hijacked...

Mike B.
Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/24/12 10:18:50 AM
MABrider said:

sparky said:

I'd be happy to keep Amanda company while you attend to your kid Syd.

Mike B.

...this thread has been hijacked...

I'd be happy to keep sparky company while Mike keeps Amanda company...

Rut-ro George!

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line *NM* by cellocoasterdude cellocoasterdude Profile at 8/29/12 1:53:32 AM
OK!
Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line *NM* *NM* by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/29/12 1:57:40 AM
Thank you!
Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/1/12 12:55:43 AM
Eric,

Do you want us to type all words out or is writing SF Great Adventure OK? The titles just get so long but if you want us to type out Six Flags will do!

Jen

Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 9/1/12 1:06:17 AM
If it fits type it out. I'm not worried about long titles. Proper description and spelled out words is important.
Re: Please STOP Using Acronyms in Subject Line by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/1/12 1:08:44 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

If it fits type it out. I'm not worried about long titles. Proper description and spelled out words is important.

OK, no problem. I'll start doing that from now on.

Jen