Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Your Man in Blackpool

Your Man in Blackpool

d_n_s_u

Posted:
8/16/12 at
5:48:57 AM

Richard Rodriquez, a 54-year-old accountant from USA, is spending eight hours a day riding The Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach from May 31 through to mid September in a bid to set a new world record (103 days)for the longest time spent on a rollercoaster.

From Pleasure Beach Blackpool's FaceBook Page August 16th 2012:

"..It's National Roller Coaster Day in the USA so this is the perfect way to celebrate another milestone for our marathon man, Richard Rodriguez, who today is on day 78 of his mission to break the world record of consecutive roller coaster riding..."

In 2007, he spent 17 days on the ride, only taking a five minute break every hour to change clothes, have a shower or enjoy a meal.
He was going head to head with two challengers at Freizeitland Gieselwind park in Germany, but they dropped out after 36 hours for medical reasons.

(YouTube clip below - Although it shows a snippet of Infusion not The Big One..go figure..)

..Is it national Roller Coaster Day over there in the USA?

* This post was modified at 8/16/12 6:06:20 AM *

Re: Your Man in Blackpool by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/16/12 5:53:02 AM
d_n_s_u said:

Is it national Roller Coaster Day over there in the USA?

Yep..I was posting it just as you posted this, Gary. It's the date the roller coaster was patented in 1898.

I'm a tad confused (happens easily)..is Rodriguez currently doing this marathon? You mentioned BPB's Facebook page, and quoted from it. But the video you included is from 2007.

* This post was modified at 8/16/12 6:10:51 AM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Your Man in Blackpool by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/16/12 8:57:34 AM
I think I met that guy. In 2001 I visited Six Flags St. Louis. I rode the Boss 3 or 4 times that day. There was guy who was riding the Boss to break some type of record. He was sitting in middle of the train with custom padding in his seat. On my last ride I made it a point to to sit in the seat behind him. I didn't have much time, but I did talk to him and ask a few questions. I explained that I was a coaster enthusiast who travels the county riding coasters. He told me he spends his summers breaking roller coaster riding records. He told me that he has been to numerous countries breaking records. He said that he had been doing it for a long time. I believe he also told me he was a professor, and had the summers off. It's been 11 years ago and our conversation only lasted a couple minutes, so I could be mistaking. I'm 99% sure that this was the same guy. After further research, I'm now 100% sure this is the same guy.

* This post was modified at 8/16/12 9:08:42 AM *

Re: Your Man in Blackpool by d_n_s_u at 8/16/12 10:10:22 AM
beastmaster said:
I'm a tad confused (happens easily)..is Rodriguez currently doing this marathon? You mentioned BPB's Facebook page, and quoted from it. But the video you included is from 2007.

Apologies Mike it is a little confusing.

Richard is currently undertaking his Big One Marathon.

The video clip in my original post relates to his last successful attempt in 2007.

He came along to a Club Pleasure Beach event several years ago and I spoke to him for a bit. I came away thinking "What a real nice genuine person."

I read somewhere that he apparently has diabetes but I can't confirm that..I keep scratching my head as to how he manages to do what he does diabetes or not!! :-)

Re: Your Man in Blackpool by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/16/12 10:32:12 AM
d_n_s_u said:

Apologies Mike it is a little confusing.

Richard is currently undertaking his Big One Marathon.

The video clip in my original post relates to his last successful attempt in 2007.

He came along to a Club Pleasure Beach event several years ago and I spoke to him for a bit. I came away thinking "What a real nice genuine person."

I read somewhere that he apparently has diabetes but I can't confirm that..I keep scratching my head as to how he manages to do what he does diabetes or not!! :-)

I got that sense about him too. I'm diabetic as well, but I doubt I could do what he does.

*EDIT*..yeah, I have trouble with quotes sometimes. Sorry.

* This post was modified at 8/16/12 10:36:43 AM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Your Man in Blackpool by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/16/12 1:58:37 PM
If he has type 1 diabetes or needs insulin, I would commend him on doing what he does. I have type 1 and need insulin, so the 5 minutes break would be spent doing just that!

also since I have been diagnosed, just over a year now, my body reacts A LOT differently to coasters and inversions. It's hard to put my finger on it really. I grey out on rides where I NEVER had a problem before.

I feel like doing it with "padded seats" is stupid imo. You should ride the ride as is. That's the whole point/experience of a ride.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv