Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SDC Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ?

SDC Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ?

Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile

Posted:
8/13/12 at
5:10:24 PM

I thinking either SF St Louis or World's of Fun (no both since they are in opposite directions).

I've never been to either of them, but I'm on the fence:

SFSL: The Boss & American Thunder

WoF: Mamba & Prowler

So they both have a GCI (is one universally better than the other?). I would love to ride The Boss, but have no idea how it's aged and if this is a well run or poorly run SF park.

I like Steel Force, but it's hardly a "huge" deal for me, so I'm more excited at the thought of The Boss over Mamba.

And I know I'm asking alot. But let's keep it civil and positive and informative. If you've had bad experiences at either park or a ride, there is a non confrontational way to do it. Thanks :)

Re: SDC Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/13/12 5:15:32 PM
I really like what WOF has to offer. I think the Patriot looks cool as well.

If it's money that bothers you and you have a season pass, then by all means hit up Six Flags in STL. Also, which one is closer? Are you going to get to go back to one of these sometime soon? Take into consideration that SF: STL might get a coaster next year. It's a big might, but if you consider that then maybe hit the park up next year.

There are a lot of things to consider, those are just some that would cross my mind when deciding.

If I were you, I'd go to WOF, but it's all about your situation.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: SDC Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ? by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 8/13/12 5:18:44 PM
Going to SDC for Outlaw Run is the primary goal. I don't plan on visiting any of these parks again in the immediate future as well, hence why I wanted to pick which one was better.

I heard that SF was getting a boomerang from Fiesta Texas (speculation) and that would make ZERO difference to me (I'm a wood and Intamin weenie first and foremost)

Re: SDC Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ? by drachen drachen Profile at 8/13/12 5:22:14 PM
I enjoyed both parks, but a lot has changed since my last visits in 2003 (WoF) and 2004 (SFStL).

Mamba was an absolute blast, but Patriot and Prowler were not there back then. I would love to make it there, as I hear Prowler is phenomenal.

At Six Flags St. Louis, don't discount Screamin' Eagle - a GREAT ride - one that I liked more than the Boss. Also, Mr. Freeze is a very good steel coaster.

Throw those two in with Boss, which was great, and Thunder, which I haven't ridden, and I would say pick that park. It's one of my favorite Six Flags parks. They also have a mirror-image Batman and the best mine train I've come across.

* This post was modified at 8/17/12 10:05:45 AM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: SDC Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/13/12 5:26:07 PM
Kevin_Page said:

I thinking either SF St Louis or World's of Fun (no both since they are in opposite directions).

I've never been to either of them, but I'm on the fence:

SFSL: The Boss & American Thunder

WoF: Mamba & Prowler

So they both have a GCI (is one universally better than the other?). I would love to ride The Boss, but have no idea how it's aged and if this is a well run or poorly run SF park.

I like Steel Force, but it's hardly a "huge" deal for me, so I'm more excited at the thought of The Boss over Mamba.

And I know I'm asking alot. But let's keep it civil and positive and informative. If you've had bad experiences at either park or a ride, there is a non confrontational way to do it. Thanks :)

Been to both parks, But not since the GCII's Patriot is Boring and Meaninless and Timberwolf braked to death. Mamba is fun but when I went the midcourse was on hard eliminating air on the bunnies.

SFSTL For sure. Rob (Brother) Loved Evil Knievel and we both loved Boss, GASM is a good high speed romp through the ozarks and of course BMTR and Mr. Freeze and a incredibly good Sally Dark ride. Its setting and layout make it the anti SF park. Ninja, Ride it for the credit, Otherwise. OUCH!

* This post was modified at 8/13/12 5:29:16 PM *

Re: SDC Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/13/12 9:25:15 PM
I was at both parks on consecutive days in June. Six Flags St. Louis is your basic Six Flags park. Their wooden coasters American Thunder, Screamin Eagle, and The Boss are their main attractions. American Thunder is a really good GCI woodie from start to finish. Sreamin Eagle is a very solid, smooth, classic coaster with some good air time. The Boss has gotten rough, but still a great layout. Excalibur is a very unique flat ride and one of my favorites. Six Flags St. Louis lacks a signature steel coaster. Mr. Freeze and Batman are decent, but American Thunder is the best coaster in the park.

Worlds of Fun is more unique. It's like a huge public park, but with rides and coasters in it. I'm not a fan of Morgan hypers either. Mamba is decent, but not great. Patriot is around mid pack as far as my 15 or 16 B&M inverts that I've ridden. Timber Wolf has a great layout, but is a tad rough. It is very rideable in the front seat. Both parks have spinning coasted. The real gem of Worlds of Fun is Prowler. Not only is it The most unique GCI, its the best. I have it as my #5 wooden coaster, whereas American Thunder is my #9 favorite woodie.

You can't go wrong with either park, but I would give the edge to Worlds of Fun. It's an unique park and Prowler is just awesome. Six Flags St. Louis operates their Flash Pass in a very annoying way. It takes significantly longer to wait for front or back seats. I've been to both parks twice now, and both times the crowds were heavier at Six Flags St. Louis. The crowds were non existent both times at Worlds of Fun. Check out my Midwest trip TR parts 2 and 3 for more details. I believe you'll have a good time no matter what park you choose.

Re: SDC Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ? by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 8/16/12 10:29:47 PM
Thanks for the info. Now my choice it harder than before. LOL

I was hoping the GCI's were a wash as to which one was better. I still feel the need to get on all the CCI's that I didn't get to ride in their heyday, but like the idea of a more laid back atmosphere at a NON SF park.

Hopefully whoever does a SDC event next year, decides the add on park for me. LOL

Re:Silver Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ? by drachen drachen Profile at 8/17/12 9:56:42 AM
Kevin_Page said:

Thanks for the info. Now my choice it harder than before. LOL

Glad we could help!

Kevin_Page said:

but like the idea of a more laid back atmosphere at a NON SF park. LOL

But, remember, Six Flags St. Louis is a non-Six Flags park...

Did that make sense?

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: SDC Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ? by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/17/12 3:21:03 PM
it depends which place has ride models that you haven't rode before. If you have rode on most of the models at SFstL, then I suggest going to Worlds of Fun. If you have ridden more models from WOF, then go SFstL. That way you get a more enchanting new experience.
Re: SDC Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/17/12 5:58:06 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

it depends which place has ride models that you haven't rode before. If you have rode on most of the models at SFstL, then I suggest going to Worlds of Fun. If you have ridden more models from WOF, then go SFstL. That way you get a more enchanting new experience.

Prowler is very unique, it's a terrain coaster. There's really nothing like it, that's one of the reasons I likes it so much. For me Worlds of Fun is better than Six Flags St. Louis by a hair, Prowler is the difference maker. Now all 3 of my kids liked Worlds of Fun a lot more than Six Flags St. Louis. All 3 loved Prowler, it's my daughter's and my oldest son's favorite wooden coaster. We were at Holiday World 2 days earlier. Prowler is on that level( in my opinion).

Re: SDC Trip: which 1 other park should I visit ? by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 8/19/12 11:11:48 PM
If I list the major rides, Six Flags has five that I like: Mr. Freeze, American Thunder, Pandemonium, Boss, and Screamin' Eagle. At Worlds of Fun, Patriot and Prowler are great. Mamba doesn't cut it as a Morgan hyper, Timber Wolf is not as good as many other woodens, and Spinning Dragons and Boomerang are inferior clones. WOF might go over better though because of their better food and the Fast Lane works good (I would think that you won't need it though). If you want to pack in the rides go with Six Flags. If you want to be happy with all the incidentals go with Worlds of Fun.

* This post was modified at 8/19/12 11:13:20 PM *