Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12

Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
8/10/12 at
10:08:17 PM

My day started early and I left San Diego at 7:45 am since I was warned I would hit a lot of traffic on I-5 north. Well, the traffic was fine and I arrived at Knotts around 9:30 am. They started letting us in around 9:45 am and we went to a holding area. I inquired about Fast Lane at the information area and the employee handed me a flier where I could purchase them and then said “Honey, don’t go wasting your money – the crowds should be light today. It’s going to be really hot so most people will be at the waterpark”. WOW, an honest employee telling me not to buy something (I wasn’t going to until I evaluated the crowds, but still). I was studying the map, trying to figure out how to get to Xcelerator, when the employee in front announced there was an earthquake so the rides will be slightly delayed in opening since they need to be inspected first. Awesome! (LOL)

They still let us through at 10 am and I made my way to the back of the park to Xcelerator where they were already testing trains. It reminds me of Storm Runner – a launch, top hat and a little something afterwards. I went right on in the front row. Awesome! I LOVE launches and especially launches with some track after the launch! Came back to the station and there were only 2 people waiting for the front so I hopped in the second row and went again. Came back around and no one waiting so I went again. This could get really long so I rode a total of 6 times in various rows without ever leaving the platform! That’s a record for me – I never do that nor do I usually like to but this was a launch and I couldn’t pass up that opportunity. There was an older ride op in the station who was awesome. I kept saying, “OK last time” and he’d say “Sure it is…” I did ask him if they ever got roll backs on it and he said hardly ever but if it’s going to happen it’s always after it rains (note to self – ride launch coasters after rain). When I finally left he said “see you in 10 minutes!” LOL.

Xcelerator gave me an awesome start to my day!
I then walked over to Boomerang, wanting to get the low capacity rides out of the way and I walked right on. While I was waiting for dispatch in the second to last row (last row was closed for some reason) the ride op was talking to me saying they were expecting smaller earthquakes and they may have to keep re-inspecting rides throughout the day. I asked him when the earthquake happened, thinking it was last night, but he said it was 9:30 am! I was either parking the car or walking in and I completely missed it. Oh well.
Boomerang was just OK, I actually thought it was “weak” for a boomerang but that may be because I just rode a launch coaster 6 times and the last boomerang I was on was Sidewinder and those restraints were awesome.

Boomerang (very original name, LOL!)

There was a heat wave coming in and it was already really hot so I went on the log flume next, before that line got out of control. Waited about 10 minutes. What an awesome flume! LOVED it! I know I’ve ridden it before but that was about 17 years ago and I have little recollection of it. It’s great that they have kept a classic themed ride in good condition. The little drop in the dark got me wet but not soaked – got a little more on the big drop but I’d be dry in 5 minutes. On a side note there was another single rider in the flume boat with me and she had to have been around 60 – 70 years old! I saw her waiting for the drop tower after that – simply awesome!

End of Log Flume - most of it takes place inside the mountain

I made my way up to the front and went on Supreme Scream, their drop tower. It was a walk on and was decent. I prefer the larger ones that don’t bounce but it was fun.

Supreme Scream

I was really thirsty and I went to get a drink at one of the stands and there was an empty Churro display! Blasphemy! I asked about it and she said that I could find them over by Montezooma so away I went. I got my delectable Mexican pastry and proceeded to go to Silver Bullet. On the way I saw that Wind Seeker was a walk on so I jumped on. That was seriously the most boring ride I have ever been on. I have to agree with Mike G on that topic – Sky Screamer is hands down better. It also broke down quite a few times during the day, which didn’t matter to me since a re-ride was not in my plans.

It may look pretty but it's boring as hell!

I headed to Silver Bullet and encountered my first line. It wasn’t too bad, about 20 minutes. I took the last row right wing. Loved it! Great invert – Pretty long and has some great elements. While it doesn’t move Raptor from my #1 invert, it’s close.

Cobra roll on Silver Bullet - this coaster literally takes up half the park!

I then walked around to hit Sierra Sidewinder and there was another line. This was because of the 400 kids from camp in line. UGH! It didn’t look very long so I decided to jump in line (BAD decision) and it was serious the slowest dispatching I have ever encountered. With each train only taking 8 people and 2 trains running (could’ve been one at the rate they were going since they were always stacked). It ended up being a good 40-45 minute wait in the brutal sun. When I finally got to the platform I could see it wasn’t the ride-ops that were causing the problem. It was that smaller children can go on this, they get strapped in and start to cry because they want to get off so they undo the restraints and have to recheck everyone all over again. What a pain in the ass. I personally say leave the little brats on and teach them a lesson – next time think about it before you’re strapped in and wasting everyone’s time, LOL! Looking at the track and trains I really questioned whether it was worth any wait at all. I finally took a back seat facing backwards and I LOVED it! Going up the hill facing backwards was weird. Then we hit the top and start going, being flung from side to side while coasting and it was awesome! SO unique and fun as hell. That coaster surprised me – I did not expect that.

What a fun little coaster!

I then walked through camp snoopy and came around to Montezooma’s Revenge, the coaster that always reminds me of Lightnin’ Loops with a “kick”. It too was a walk on with a 2 train wait for the front. I figured why not? Then I had my first encounter with the Cedar Fair Fast Lane passes. It ended up being a 20 minute wait because 4 groups people came up the exit and walked right on the front row. I was getting PISSED. While the ride op was obviously a bit exacerbated being the only one doing everything, I still voiced my disapproval. There was NO wait – this was ridiculous – you cannot have someone wait for their seat for 4 consecutive rides – you tell the FP holders to wait one ride – they’ll live. I was so aggravated by the time I rode I thought it sucked. Yes, I thought a classic launch coaster sucked. Stupid Fast Lane. They really have to modify that system and I’m a fan of the FP but that is NOT how to run it. They have to merge in line or you need to charge a lot more money if you are going to allow people to walk on with no wait and choose the most sought after spots while others are waiting.

Montezooma's revenge launching

I then went to Jaguar!. I remember the last time I was there was the year it opened and the line was LONG. I remember being disappointed and thinking it was not worth the wait. Now it was a walk on so all of that beautiful air conditioned, nicely decorated queue space was irrelevant (not complaining though) . Took a back seat and it was OK. Just as boring as I remember it but a good family coaster that’s a decent length. It definitely has its place.

Jaguar's train - the coaster is long and intertwined with everything else so it's nearly impossible to get a good pic of it

I walked over to “La Revolucion” a pendulum claw but it had a sizable line so I decided to head over to the other side of the park. First hit the mine train – this is NOT a roller coaster but more of a theme ride. It was great and nostalgic – perfect for the section of the park it’s in. Takes place inside the mountain (similar to the Log Flume) and has old animatronic miners and such.

Mine train in the mountain behind the "real" train

I then went over to Pony Express. It was brutally hot by now (96 F) and that line is in the pounding sun. The line wasn’t too bad (about 20 minutes) but that sun made it feel like forever. I get on my horse (you ride this as if you are on an actual horse) and had no idea it was a launch! Although a slow launch, it was still a good way to start a horse race. FYI: Whoever was making the comments on the other thread about parks not have 3 of anything – Knotts has 3 launch coasters. This ride has a lot of potential – it is very unique and could be fun but it is WAY too short. I timed it and from loading to the end was 40 seconds. I wouldn’t wait more than 5 minutes for it in the future but glad I experienced it.

Pony Express in motion

Here's a better look at the horses

I was starving by this point so I headed over to the Fireman’s BBQ and got 1/4 chicken (and it was white meat!), a baked potato and garlic toast and it was delicious (and probably the healthiest thing I’ve ever had in a park!). I had purchased one of those souvenir bottles when I got my first beverage so I had it refilled with soda (was drinking water most of the day). When I got the cup back there was some overflow and I put the top on loosely with the intention of wiping it down to avoid any stickiness. This would be a BIG mistake. After I was finished with my late lunch/dinner I headed over to Ghost Rider. This is a massive structure and the first thing you see when going into the park – most of the coaster isn’t even accessible from within the park.

What you see when you first walk in

As I approached the entrance I started to walk up the stairs and the top of my souvenir cup comes off and soda spills all over my feet and legs – I was NOT happy! Guess who forgot to tighten the top? This happened while walking up under the upper platform and several people rushed over (some from upstairs) thinking that someone dropped it from overhead and probably due to my profanity thought I was hurt. I thought that was very nice and it actually calmed me down and put things into perspective. I figured I was here so I should just ride and take care of the mess when I was done. It was also a walk on but I decided to wait 2 trains for the front. I have learned that on woodies I have not ridden before to take a front ride then decide if a back ride is wise (*cough* Wildcat*cough*). I got in my seat and some teenage boy sat next to me. After the first drop he grabbed on to me for dear life, LOL. Aside from The Beast, this is the longest coaster in history! (I have no statistics to prove that by the way :~) It seriously never ended! I liked it. I didn’t love it – a little rough in spots and not enough steep hills for my liking but definitely rideable in the front. I wouldn’t ride in the back though but I would ride it again.

Ghost Rider in action

After I got off I saw a fountain nearby and I proceeded to dip my very sticky feet in to try and get the soda off – thank God I was wearing my Teva’s which are made for water. Didn’t work since the stickiness started to come back as I dried. I went in the bathroom and took them off and scrubbed the shoes and my feet, making a mess. The attendant in the restroom saw me wiping up the floor with paper towels and told me not to worry and she would take care of it and to go out and enjoy the rest of my day – how sweet!

I was debating on what to do now – do I go back to San Diego or stay a bit longer. I was getting really tired and it was around 5:30 pm. I decided to hit the coasters I liked one last time since I have no idea when I’ll be able to make it back here. I hit Silver Bullet first and here’s a good one for you: there was no line and I got in the queue in the last row with a group of 3 in front of me. The train comes into the station and this kid who was on doesn’t get off. I ask the ride-op why is he still there and he speaks to the kid (I couldn’t hear what he was saying) and he turns to me and asks me if I would take a seat in a middle row! I said NO! Then he made the kid get off and go to the middle – are you kidding me?! Not a big deal but c’mon.

The vertical loop is right after the initial drop

I went on Sidewinder again with a 10 minute wait but I was placed in the front car and it wasn’t nearly as good as the rear car. The front car didn’t seem to spin right. I then went over to La Revolucion and there was still a wait but I decided to jump in line. It was only a 2 circuit wait but another strange thing happened. There were 2 overweight people trying to ride. The larger seats on this one are apparently on the ends (I thought they were in the middle on most) and they kept having them try different seats and having people move around until they found seats they could get the green light on. I was a bit torn on this. On one hand it was awesome that the ride-ops went through so much trouble to allow these guests to ride but on the other hand it took a really long time to accommodate them (about 10 – 15 minutes when all was said and done). I suppose if you never have trouble fitting this is irritating but if you ever have it’s awesome that someone actually took the time to try and get these people to ride. Debate amongst yourselves. :~)

La Revolucion

Then I took a ride on the view tower, which had the dirtiest windows ever but got a few decent pics.

Here you can really appreciate how massive Silver Bullet is. Jaguar is the orange small track on the side and Montezooma's revenge is the teal green loop in the back. It's hard to see but in between the 2 loops is Sierra Sidewinder. The coasters really overlap and all seem to run through each other

Drop tower

I ended my night with one last ride on Xcelerator. Grabbed a back row since the line for the front was ridiculous but only a 3 train wait for the others. It was a fitting way to start and end the day.

Palm trees make everything look so much prettier!

I had a fabulous day at Knotts. It has to be the best “themed” amusement park that there is. The employees were absolutely wonderful, and dare I say it, better than those at SFA. Yes, that’s how nice, friendly and helpful they were. The park was just how I remembered it and it’s awesome that they kept their classic older rides in great shape. The combination of family rides, thrill rides and nostalgic rides is amazing. I love the way each of the sections has different uniforms for the employees to match the theme. I had a great day and I promise I won’t wait another 17 years to go back this time!

One last shot of Ghost Rider as I was leaving

*Don't forget you can right click on a pic and choose "view image" to see the pictures in larger sizes, which may be needed for some of these*

* This post was modified at 8/10/12 10:23:00 PM *

Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/11/12 12:00:35 AM
Superb photo TR Jen! It's like you put me in a time machine from my recent trip there. Awesome pics. We all know the you love some fast launched coasters. :)

* This post was modified at 8/11/12 12:02:32 AM *

Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/11/12 8:42:47 AM
Great TR Jen. With your TR and Overbanked's, I now have a mental pitcher of Knotts. From your photos, which are exceptional, I see that Knotts is a really nice "theme" park. From both TRS it seems that Knotts is a different park experience than SF Magic Mountain. Between those 2 parks, the 2 Disney parks, Sea World, and Belmont, southern California seems like a place I spend a week and never get bored. That's totally awesome that the employees were friendly and even helped you save money. Last year at SF Great Adventure my youngest son was clearly taller than the child ticket requirement. The employee said looks like he is close enough and gave us that child's price, which was a nice discount. Knotts fast lane seems to be ran like SF St. Louis. They allow them to enter from the exit, wait one train, and then choose their seat. I don't have a problem with fast lane type upgrades, but those people should merge into the line before you enter the loading station. I'm glad the weather was nice and the crowds were small. It sounds like you rode a lot. Only question I have is were any of the flats unique or well themed?
Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/11/12 8:57:08 AM
^^^
You can definitely spend a week or even more in So. Cal without ever getting bored. Belmont is a only a stop-by and ride place - I'll write a TR on that soon but nothing really to do there, unless you spend the day at the beach. If you were staying in the Anaheim area and driving down to Sea World for the day I'd hit Belmont then - only a few minutes from SW. Don't forget there's the Zoo and Wildlife park too if you're into that. I've been there a few times so I passed on this trip.

No real unique flats. Had your standard Huss top spin, claw pendulum, swings, teacups, Ferris wheel, pirate ship, etc. Everything is tailored to the section it's in. It is very different from Disney and SFMM and definitely deserves a visit if you're planning a vacation!

Jen

Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/11/12 8:59:08 AM
Overbanked said:

Superb photo TR Jen! It's like you put me in a time machine from my recent trip there. Awesome pics. We all know the you love some fast launched coasters. :)

Thanks! Riding Xcelerator that many times without getting off was a treat! I could've stayed even longer but I was afraid if I didn't leave then I never would, LOL!

Jen

Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/12/12 10:34:28 AM
"probably due to my profanity thought I was hurt."

What'd you do? Say the "D" word?

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by alpengeistno3 at 8/12/12 4:03:29 PM
Great TR, Jen. I have heard about Knott's and seen a couple of ACE publication pictures, but your pictures really summed the place up. It really is a nice looking park. Interesting how they seem to embrace the Hershey "coaster stacking" principle of installing a lot of their rides. Silver Bullet is a lot bigger than profiles have made it out to be.

I'll ask my question to the group now...where is the "silver" in Silver Bullet with all that red and yellow track?

Paul

Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/12/12 5:01:25 PM
^^^Yeah, Silver Bullet has a weird color scheme. The only silver (or maybe they are gray) that saw was the supports after the lift hill.

* This post was modified at 8/12/12 5:05:30 PM *

Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/13/12 7:40:18 PM
Knotts announced that they are gonna close 'Perilous Plunge' (a splash boat ride). The last day to ride it is on September 3. I didn't ride it on my trip there, as I had no interest whatsoever in getting soaking wet. It was closed most of the day, and opened just before I left on that 31st of July. Alot of wet amusement rides have been closing down lately in the US.

www.newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2012/08/knotts-removing-perilous-plunge.html

* This post was modified at 8/13/12 7:47:46 PM *

Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/13/12 7:49:43 PM
Overbanked said:

Knotts announced that they are gonna close 'Perilous Plunge' (a splash boat ride). The last day to ride it is on September 3. I didn't ride it on my trip there, as I had no interest whatsoever in getting soaking wet. It was closed most of the day, and opened just before I left on that 31st of July. Alot of wet amusement rides have been closing down lately in the US.

When I was there it was open and hot as hell and hardly anyone was riding it. I feel the same way you do - I do not like to get soaked and be uncomfortable all day. A little wet from the Log Flume is fine but dripping wet is not my idea of fun!

Here's a pic of it:

Jen

Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/14/12 4:57:48 PM
Loved the pics, and thanks for the TR.

Love your philosophy of little kids: Teach them a lesson! Ha! If I have kids, they'll be grounded if they throw a fit like that!

- Pat-O

Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/14/12 6:49:34 PM
LoneStar said:

Loved the pics, and thanks for the TR.

Love your philosophy of little kids: Teach them a lesson! Ha! If I have kids, they'll be grounded if they throw a fit like that!

- Pat-O

I have kids that love coasters. They know that I have a rule. If we enter the que line, we are riding. If there is any doubt in their mind whether to ride or not, then we are not getting in line. Even when they were younger and first started to go to parks, that rule applied. It eliminates the drama that Jen witnessed. Luckily there has only been 2 coasters that they have been tall enough to ride, but chose not to: Top Thrill Dragster and Kinda Ka. They know we are going to Cedar Point next year and they are already talking about riding TTD. I have never pressured or forced them to ride anything, but I'm not going to deal with type of drama either.

Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/14/12 8:18:36 PM
Kudos to you guys for raising your kids right! My father did the same thing to me - If I wanted to ride then changed my mind after we waited in line too bad. 9 times out of 10 I loved the ride anyway and was just being a brat. :~)

Jen

Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/14/12 8:35:49 PM
GoYanks34 said:

and was just being a brat. :~)

Jen

So what's changed? ;)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Knotts Berry Farms TR 8-8-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/14/12 8:45:03 PM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

and was just being a brat. :~)

Jen

So what's changed? ;)

Absolutely nothing! :-P

jen