Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point's new ride announcement

Cedar Point's new ride announcement

HatTrick

Posted:
8/10/12 at
6:49:23 PM

Cedar Point will officially announce their new ride on Monday. I know it's been the worst kept secret in the business but it's nice to get an official word. Who want's to start guessing on height, inversions and other specs of the ride?

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 8/10/12 7:09:17 PM
532 ft, 19.5 inversions and 216.45mph

:)

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/10/12 7:41:35 PM
Kevin_Page said:

And seating for 40 across per row.

I read Gatekeeper as a possible name elsewhere.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 8/10/12 7:44:38 PM
beastmaster said:

Kevin_Page said:

And seating for 40 across per row.

I read Gatekeeper as a possible name elsewhere.

Puh-lease, 40 rows across is waaay aggressive. No way they fit more than 26 stadium seating wide ( to go along with 8 train operation)

And I think B&M has finally perfected the "forceless loop", so expect the whole ride to be super smooth that you could read a book on your iPad during it

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by pyl-driver pyl-driver Profile at 8/11/12 9:16:00 PM
Just got leaked....its called Gatekeeper...light blue track....white supports..dual key hole roles through entrance...rumored to go 67 mph
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Tomes at 8/12/12 9:34:24 PM
67mph sounds decent!
I hope it's at least 7 inversions, and it would be even more cool if it was a record-breaker at least for the United States (9 inversions would be awesome :-) )

Anyway tomorrow we find out anyway!! I'm actually pretty excited! I also think B&M has been working on making their rides a little more forceful.. Leviathan looks pretty awesome and I heard very good things about it. I also heard very good things about Behemoth, and I can't complain about Manta either.. I guess we'll have to see.

67mph probably means the drop is 170ft. So the height of the lift hill will probably be around 175-180ft.

In any case, I think a trip to northern Ohio is in the plan for next year :-)

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 8/12/12 9:54:51 PM
It's supposed to be a bigger, longer, faster version of Wild Eagle, not something that gets me uber pumped to the Nth degree. Hope there are a few surprises in there.

Any chance RMC redoes Mean Streak ?

* This post was modified at 8/12/12 9:59:27 PM *

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Tomes at 8/12/12 11:52:24 PM
Kevin,
They did mention 2 key-hole inversions.. I don't think the design of WildEagle allows for the integration of the key-hole elements into 2 of their inversions..

My guess is it would be completely different in layout than Wild Eagle. And if I had to guess realistically I would say it would have at least 5 inversions.

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by drachen drachen Profile at 8/13/12 12:11:29 AM
Tomes said:

Kevin,
They did mention 2 key-hole inversions.. I don't think the design of WildEagle allows for the integration of the key-hole elements into 2 of their inversions..

My guess is it would be completely different in layout than Wild Eagle. And if I had to guess realistically I would say it would have at least 5 inversions.

From the renderings, it looks like it has 6 inversions, and it looks to be quite different than Wild Eagle.

The double keyhole is also on the same inversion, which is over top of the new park entrance. It looks incredible. I posted a few photos of the leaked renderings over in the 'New For 2013' thread.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/13/12 7:55:52 PM
Here's goes one of those teasing type of off-ride/on-ride/effects vids that falls short of an actual virtual Gatekeeper POV.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqhApNBjes&feature=player_embedded

* This post was modified at 8/13/12 7:59:01 PM *

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by NotSo NotSo Profile at 8/13/12 11:09:01 PM
Just another parking lot coaster....
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/14/12 2:14:51 AM
^^^IMO CP did a decent job avoiding the parking lot. Sure it skirts the parking lot, but it's not exactly in the parking lot with cars underneath the coaster. All I saw was green grass underneath Gatekeeper on that animation.
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by NotSo NotSo Profile at 8/14/12 2:29:42 AM
Yes OverBanked, thanks for pointing my mistake out. Perhaps i should have better punctuated my post with quotations, like so...

"just another parking lot coaster", -posted by an uniformed URC member.

Yeah right. Cant help but say i told you so. I said they would remake the park entrance and the employee parking lot, and they did. This is Cedar Point, you really thought they would build a coaster in the parking lot? BAh HAAHAH!

I also was once famous many years ago for predicting that the Timberliners would never operate on Voyage. But thats history, now i am just a lonely troll that knows nothing..... :)

* This post was modified at 8/14/12 2:35:31 AM *

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/14/12 8:44:36 AM
It runs the perimeter of the park in the front and a majority of the coaster takes the space of where Disaster Transport is. Where the hell do you see it running over the parking lot?

Jen

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/14/12 9:10:35 AM
At first I wasn't to thrilled to hear that Cedar Point was getting a wing rider, because X Flight fell a little short of my expectations. There were some things that were very impressive about X Flight, such as the first drop/ inversion, the keyhole, the positive gs, and the theming. Gate Keeper looks to have 3 of the elements and those 3 elements will probably be more extreme than X Flight's elements. Some other elements in Gate Keeper that look promising are the camel back, corkscrew type inversion, and the turn around inversion after the keyhole. All in all this looks like a really awesome ride. It's now a priority for the first week of June. I should have know that Cedar Point would build something awesome, they always do. As for the placement of the coaster, I think that's awesome also. While standing in line to purchase your tickets, their new attraction will be soaring above your head. Can't wait until 2013.
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by HatTrick at 8/14/12 6:49:31 PM
I figure I'm going opening day 2013
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/14/12 7:35:10 PM
HatTrick said:

Highly unlikely the coaster will be up and running opening day and even if it is there will surely be a lot of downtime with unforeseen problems. I'd wait until it has been running smoothly for a while before I'd take the trip out there unless it's around the corner for you.

Jen

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/14/12 8:05:21 PM
NotSo said:

Yes OverBanked, thanks for pointing my mistake out. Perhaps i should have better punctuated my post with quotations, like so...

"just another parking lot coaster", -posted by an uniformed URC member.

Yeah right. Cant help but say i told you so. I said they would remake the park entrance and the employee parking lot, and they did. This is Cedar Point, you really thought they would build a coaster in the parking lot? BAh HAAHAH!

I also was once famous many years ago for predicting that the Timberliners would never operate on Voyage. But thats history, now i am just a lonely troll that knows nothing..... :)

Hooray, give NotSo an award, he got something right!! Because certainly you have never been wrong before, esp with all of those controversial comments in your URC tenure. I'm not gonna even say that I haven't said anything controversial, because I have, and I'm the first person to tell you that I might be wrong about something, and I know how to be humble, and not that annoying 'Mr know it all' about everything. Just a little bit of the coaster does actually go over the parking area, not anything worth mentioning though. I guess you can take your argument up with the Cedar Fair's CEO who said that a large part of the coaster will go over the parking area. Again, congrats Notso, your award should be in the mail by now.... SMH.

* This post was modified at 8/14/12 8:06:29 PM *

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by HatTrick at 8/14/12 10:05:46 PM
I live in the Detroit area and its about 2 hours away. I have gotten the platinum pass the last couple of years so I go several times every summer. Going again in a couple weeks. For this coaster I imagine they will do everything possible to have it running day 1. They have already started the building process.
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/14/12 11:41:05 PM
I hate to say it once again but I am not really excited about these wing coasters after having experienced x-flight at SFGA.Just another gimmick to try and provide a new coaster experience.Now if Intamin was behind it I may have some excitement but most forceless B&M's are really starting to bore me.
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by glutton glutton Profile at 8/14/12 11:45:42 PM
I can't really tell from the video: do the seats move like X2 at SFMM? It looks pretty cool, but since I took a trip to CP & KI this summer, it'll probably be a few years before I get back to Ohio again!
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/15/12 12:18:45 AM
glutton said:

I can't really tell from the video: do the seats move like X2 at SFMM?

Nope, they are stationary, facing straight forward.

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Tomes at 8/15/12 6:15:28 PM
Chitlins..
I can totally see where you're coming from! Remember when I started my X-Flight vs. Wild Eagle thread a few months before they both opened and everyone, almost without exceptions was like "Dude, X-Flight is going to CRUSH Wild Eagle!!!". I speculated that just because Wild eagle is taller and faster it would actually be more fun, but everyone assured me that the more inversions and the key-hole elements would give x-flight the edge.
WELL... So far the only responses I've heard from people who have been on both is that almost without exception they liked Wild Eagle better for the exact reasons I predicted.
So that point of me saying this is not to say "Nah nah nah nah boo boo I was right" but to stress the point that the stats make a big difference in the ride experience! Faster+More INversions+Taller+Longer = More fun! With the air-time hill, the 2 key-hole elements in 1 inversion, the total of 6 inversions, and the 164ft drop.. I'm SURE it's going to be fun! That layout would have been fun if it were a standup, or an invert, or a flying... It's going to be awesome!
That's my opinion anyway. :-)
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/15/12 9:12:03 PM
Wow...Tomes used the words "fun" and "standups" in the same sentence. Don't see THAT very often...

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/16/12 1:16:41 AM
^^^I don't know what it was, as I probably just got lucky by standing up in the coaster properly, but I enjoyed the heck outta Riddler's Revenge at SFMM, it was awesome. It was lengthy, forceful with positive-G's, and even a smidge of air and inversions galore. I know that I'm in the minority, but I got RR edging Tatsu for my second favorite at SFMM behind X2. Sorry for going off course.
Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by Tomes at 8/16/12 1:27:52 AM
I'm with you, Overbanked!
I F****ng love standups!! :-)
Riddler's revenge will always be in my, at least top 25, and I didn't only ride it once, I rode it several times in different seats.
The Green Lantern (Formerly Chang) is AWESOME too! I rode it at least 4-5 times and liked it each time - especially in the front.

I'm one of the only people that also REALLY enjoys King Dominion's Shockwave and its cousins (the togo standups, despite the fact that there are moments when it hurts.. lol) and Mantis is ok.. Not great but I ride it at least a few times each time when I visit Cedar Point.

Iron wolf was also something I never skipped out on when I was at SFGam. Wasn't a big favorite, but just riding a coaster while standing up is a totally different feeling, especially when you go through a corkscrew and your mass center is high above the track it really feels nice.
I wish SFSTL would build a new, all record-breaking standup :-D but that would never happen, considering the last new standup costare was built in 1998 :-(

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by ktujon ktujon Profile at 8/18/12 10:53:07 PM
Overbanked said:

^^^I don't know what it was, as I probably just got lucky by standing up in the coaster properly, but I enjoyed the heck outta Riddler's Revenge at SFMM, it was awesome. It was lengthy, forceful with positive-G's, and even a smidge of air and inversions galore. I know that I'm in the minority, but I got RR edging Tatsu for my second favorite at SFMM behind X2. Sorry for going off course.

I totally agree, Riddler's Revenge is my favorite standup coaster out there and I wasn't too impressed with Tatsu

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by CarolH at 8/18/12 11:47:55 PM
GoYanks34 said:

HatTrick said:

Highly unlikely the coaster will be up and running opening day and even if it is there will surely be a lot of downtime with unforeseen problems. I'd wait until it has been running smoothly for a while before I'd take the trip out there unless it's around the corner for you.

Jen

Jen,

No B & M coaster has ever missed a contract date & while sometimes there has been restricted operations for media days, operations gets them up to speed very quickly. So... there is no need to wait to ride any new B & M coaster.

Carol

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/12 11:54:29 PM
CarolH said:

GoYanks34 said:

HatTrick said:

Jen

Jen,

No B & M coaster has ever missed a contract date & while sometimes there has been restricted operations for media days, operations gets them up to speed very quickly. So... there is no need to wait to ride any new B & M coaster.

Carol

Very interesting - I did not know that little fact. I'm so used to Intamins opening up weeks after schedule I never thought about the manufacturer in regards to that. I'll be very impressed if it opens on time since I'm not sure when the last greatest and latest ride actually opened on schedule. It seems they have all been severely delayed over the last few years (although Skyrush wasn't that far off).

Jen

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 8/19/12 8:19:45 PM
I am extremely excited, although lines are usually horrible for new CP coasters. I figure this should have a good capacity, though. However, being THE coaster at the front of the park, everybody will try to get on it first.

Interestingly, the only coaster that I know of that flew over the entrance of an amusement park before this was Big Dipper at Geauga Lake in the 20s (before they moved the front gate). I have an antique postcard with a picture of this. Does anyone know any others?

MarathonRunner

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by CarolH at 8/19/12 8:33:07 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Very interesting - I did not know that little fact. I'm so used to Intamins opening up weeks after schedule I never thought about the manufacturer in regards to that. I'll be very impressed if it opens on time since I'm not sure when the last greatest and latest ride actually opened on schedule. It seems they have all been severely delayed over the last few years (although Skyrush wasn't that far off).

Jen

I know that Leviathan & both of B&M's US wingriders, Wild Eagle & X-Flight opened on time this season. So... why should Gatekeeper (B&M's
3rd US wingrider) be any different?

Wild Eagle's crew improved their dispatch times by 40 sec between the media event & the season passholders ride time, which were on the same day.

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by alpengeistno3 at 8/20/12 12:21:46 AM
CarolH said:

I know that Leviathan & both of B&M's US wingriders, Wild Eagle & X-Flight opened on time this season. So... why should Gatekeeper (B&M's
3rd US wingrider) be any different?

Gatekeeper has 3 things working against it opening on time that WE and X-Flight did not.

1. Because of having to remove Disaster Transport, they can't start preparing the site until really late in the season. Wild Eagle was practically finished by January.

2. If the weather acts up this year, CP's May opening date will be screwed (because most of the site prep will probably take place over the winter.

3. It's been a long time since I've been to the Point, but don't they have to rebuild the gate just to incorporate that key hole element?

Paul

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by skc2000 at 8/20/12 4:10:55 AM
I have been to cedar point about 10 times allready but i haven,t been there in 5 years allready since 2007.Now from all the times that i have been to cedar point including my last visit 5 years ago in 2007 the main entrance is near the entrance to raptor or near where demon drop used to be.There is another entrance near disaster transport & wicked twister but that,s not the parks main entrance.the entrance near disaster transport & wicked twister goes to the beach & the hotels.there is no parking lot there.That is how it was from all the times that i have been there including my last visit 5 years ago in 2007.Now if gatekeeper will be located near raptor or near where demon drop used to be then that,s near the main entrance.But the entrance near disaster transport & wicked twister that is not the main entrance.Unless gatekeeper will be so big that it will go from where disaster transport is all the way to the main entrance which is near raptor.Did they move the main entrance to where wicked twister is now at?I haven,t been there in 5 years since 2007 & it wasn,t like that then.

skc2000

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement Photo by squirrels at 8/20/12 2:42:54 PM
MarathonRunner said:

I am extremely excited, although lines are usually horrible for new CP coasters. I figure this should have a good capacity, though. However, being THE coaster at the front of the park, everybody will try to get on it first.

Good. The more people that jump in line for GateKeeper immediately, the more people aren't in line for TTD/MF/Maverick. With the crowds that park draws especially in the summer, more running coasters are not only welcome, they're NECESSARY. 2 hours for Maverick is ridiculous.

skc2000 said:
Unless gatekeeper will be so big that it will go from where disaster transport is all the way to the main entrance which is near raptor.

That's what it does.

The station will be near the hotel/boardwalk entrance you're talking about, where Disaster Transport used to stand. The coaster will run along the beach-side border of the park and then turn right and twist through the MAIN gate (by the parking lot) before turning around and coming back.

Artist's rendering attached.

User Submitted Picture

* This post was modified at 8/20/12 2:49:08 PM *

Re: Cedar Point's new ride announcement by skc2000 at 8/22/12 4:19:32 AM
squirrels said:

MarathonRunner said:

Good. The more people that jump in line for GateKeeper immediately, the more people aren't in line for TTD/MF/Maverick. With the crowds that park draws especially in the summer, more running coasters are not only welcome, they're NECESSARY. 2 hours for Maverick is ridiculous.

skc2000 said:
Unless gatekeeper will be so big that it will go from where disaster transport is all the way to the main entrance which is near raptor.

That's what it does.

The station will be near the hotel/boardwalk entrance you're talking about, where Disaster Transport used to stand. The coaster will run along the beach-side border of the park and then turn right and twist through the MAIN gate (by the parking lot) before turning around and coming back.

Artist's rendering attached.

AHA oh i see so it will extend all the way to the main gate from where disaster transport used to be.From the layout i noticed one other thing too.
When you ride hulk at IOA(islands of adventure)
the train does a vertical loop over the mid course braking system.Now from the layout it looks like gatekeeper will be doing a corkscrew over the mid course braking system.Now hulk at IOA does a loop over the mid course braking system but from the layout for gatekeeper it looks like it will do a corkscrew over the mid course braking system.Besides hulk any other coasters that do an inversion over the mid course braking system besides hulk?

skc2000