Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12

TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
8/8/12 at
12:41:44 AM

I left the hotel in Valencia and headed about 50 miles to the OC to visit Knott's Berry Farm. I arrived at the park at 10:56 AM, and paid $57.99 for admission. Is there any park out there with a better Wild West theme than KBF? I'll be shocked if there is, I was in awe of the detailed Wild West store fronts, elevated horse wagon trail, faux mountains, the authentic staff costumes, it looked like Dodge City in the 1800's, very impressive. One quirky thing about the park is that there's a fire station right across the street; Occasional blaring fire trucks can be heard. I don't see had anyone can complain about SoCal weather, all days were perfect, no rain of course, and the awesome dry heat which feels great in comparison with that humid Florida very sticky heat. On to the rides.

Montezooma's Revenge: My first S-Kopt shuttle looper. This actually was the first that I rode at the park. It was old school awesomeness! It was amazingly smooth for a ride that old. I rode near the back. I should've ridden it again. When it goes through the loop backwards, it's makes a distinctive roaring/rattling sound. I wish there were more of these coasters still around.

Calico Mine Ride: It was about seven or so of us crammed into a railcar. A nice classic dark train ride through a mountain with detailed caves, one very deep chasm towards the end, hard working miner animatronics, waterfalls, and the conductor talking through the tour of this 'perilous journey'. I didn't care about it being a kid ride or whatever, IMO it's a must do at Knott's, excellent dark ride.

Jaguar!: I had to ride, esp since I'm a Jags fans LOL. You can see Monte's Revenge's building right across from the station. My best way to describe this is an outdoor version of Orange Streak at Nick Universe. It's made by the same company too, Zierer. It's basically a meandering mild family coaster, with and incredibly elaborate station, (in a large temple) for a family coaster. It would have been nice to see a tunnel going through that giant temple or something, it was okay though.

Ghostrider: I rode towards the back. The first covered drop was good, but overall I thought it it was just okay. It was pretty rough throughout. It had a couple of moments of air. It had some strafing flatturns that had some lats, and plenty of headchoppers, although I have to say, sadly it's my least favorite coaster at KBF.

Pony Express: My first Zamperla Motocoaster. rode in the second row. It had good anticipation on the launch. Very good family coaster, it's short & sweet. I like the final turn tunnel at the end. PE's layout goes right alongside the queue, so you can see the riders enjoying the coaster while waiting. Well done coaster.

Windseeker: For all of the crap I give this thing for being installed at many CF parks, I have nothing both wonderful things to say about it. It's a capacity monster, and it's very stately, and graceful for the ride experience, and off-ride. The ride ops are no nonsense concerning wearing glasses on rides, so as the Windseeker ascended, I sneaked my glasses back on, holding them in place on my head; Hey, I had to see a clear overhead views LOL.

Sierra Sidewinder: My first Mack spinning coaster. Walking through the queue of this thing is awesome. You are just inundated with this coaster weaving through the course all around you. If you're tall I can imagine that it would be an uncomfortable ride; I'm just 5'9, and my outside knee barely comfortably squeezed through, with very minor knee-banging. The cars face outward so you can see everyone face to face in the other cars. It's another short and sweet fun family ride, with the unpredictable spinning motion of the cars throughout the course.

Silver Bullet: A very good B&M invert. I rode somewhere near the back. It remind me of a lil' cross between Raptor, and Afterburn(Carowinds). It has a good helix before the station run. It's very smooth, and definitely very re-ridable.

Boomerang: Yeah, I had to ride atleast one obligatory Boomerang on this trip LOL. The queue was pretty packed too. It was pretty smooth, matter of fact, it's the smoothest regular sitdown Boomerang that I've ridden (other two being at Wild Adv's and Zoomerang that was at the old Alabama Adv).

Xcelerator: An Intamin Accelerator coaster. I rode somewhere in the middle. I love the oldies music playing in the queue, one of the songs that played was 'Barbra Ann' by the Beach Boys, it kinda got the whole 'Christine' thing going on. Awesome first staightaway launch just like TTD, and KDK. I felt a tad of air over the tophat. The other curves afterward offered a nice uniqueness than the out and back Intamin rockets. Awesome coaster.

I'm probably gonna chill for a little while with any major new park trips, with football season and all. Hopefully Flying Turns will open next year, so I can have my eye on doing the Penn coasters. I hoped that yall enjoyed my TR East to West coast extravaganza, I certainly did; The travel on the way back, not so much. :)

* This post was modified at 8/9/12 12:36:47 AM *

Re: TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/8/12 1:23:14 AM
Nice TR - I'm going tomorrow so we can have 2 "east coasters" critiquing the "west coasters" (no pun intended LOL!). I can't bring myself to read your SFMM TR b/c I keep hearing commercials on the radio and it's killing me! So close and yet so far....

What day did you go and how were the crowds?

Jen

Re: TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/8/12 6:36:00 PM
Another great TR Overbanked. The TRS are probably my favorite thing to read on URC, especially the ones of parks that I never been to. When you wrote your Valleyfair and Nickelodeon Universe TR, we were considering going to Minnesota. After reading your TRs, I had to include those parks into our trip and I'm so glad I did. That's a shame about Ghost Rider. That coaster was the reason I have so much interest in Knotts. You and I have very similar tastes when it comes to wooden coasters, so I'd probably be disappointed also. Nonetheless I still want to visit the park. I knew it had a Wild West area, but I didn't know it was done that well. Thanks for sharing. Now I'll be looking forward to Jen's TR.
Re: TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/8/12 9:27:52 PM
^^^Thanks Frontrow. I enjoy reading the TR's on URC myself, and your TR's in particular are always a great read.
Re: TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/8/12 11:34:12 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Nice TR - I'm going tomorrow so we can have 2 "east coasters" critiquing the "west coasters" (no pun intended LOL!). I can't bring myself to read your SFMM TR b/c I keep hearing commercials on the radio and it's killing me! So close and yet so far....

Jen

I went to SFMM on 7/30/12 & 8/1/12. It was packed all throughout the day both days that I was there.

Re: TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/9/12 5:59:50 AM
Overbanked said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

I went to SFMM on 7/30/12 & 8/1/12. It was packed all throughout the day both days that I was there.

I believe her question was about Knotts, not MM. I may be wrong.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/9/12 6:07:38 AM
^^^I'm quite sure that she was referring about the SFMM TR, because the date is already in the title of this TR (7/31/12).
Re: TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/9/12 8:49:40 AM
Overbanked said:

^^^I'm quite sure that she was referring about the SFMM TR, because the date is already in the title of this TR (7/31/12).

We'll find out soon enough...she's coming home tonight.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12 by chris92se chris92se Profile at 8/9/12 9:41:59 AM
Thanks for the review. Being from the west coast and having been to several real ghost towns (my dad actually lives in one during the summer), I thought KBF's theme was pretty cool, as well.

I have been there twice in the last few years and both times it felt really busy, even though I was there during mid-week and the one time was not in the summer.

Since I have never been on Kingda Ka or TTD, to me Xlerator was awesome. I am sure my feeling will be dwarfed by the much larger versions. It was odd that the line for it was short compared to other rides. The Jaguar line was about 45 minutes and I rode the Xlerator three times in less than an hour.

One thing I didn't get to do was eat the famous KBB fried chicken. Both times I was there, the line was extra long and I was not going to wait over an hour for food, when there are In-N-Out Burger stands all over.

Re: TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/9/12 3:35:00 PM
^^^Thanks for the reply. Went I was at Knott's, I ate at Panda Express. I heard about the chicken, but it would've been an awkward situation for me, table for one and all (not sure if they have takeout). I wanted to stop by that place that makes the jam and bring a jar home, but I got caught up in the mix and forgot.

* This post was modified at 8/10/12 5:35:23 AM *

Re: TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/10/12 11:02:16 AM
beastmaster said:

Overbanked said:

We'll find out soon enough...she's coming home tonight.

I was talking about Knotts and I COMPLETELY missed the date in the title, LOL! It was a very sleep deprived trip! My TR to come....

Jen

Re: TR: Knott's Berry Farm 7/31/12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/10/12 1:29:56 PM
^^^Mike was right then. :) Yeah when I was at KBF, it was crowded. I'll be looking forward to reading the TR.

* This post was modified at 8/10/12 1:31:04 PM *