Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point TR 8/6

Cedar Point TR 8/6

gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile

Posted:
8/7/12 at
11:21:59 PM

Hello URC! It's been a while since I've posted, so I thought I'd have a crack at a TR for the fun of it, although there are so many CP TRs already!

Myself and 5 friends trekked out from Metro-Detroit, getting to the park at 10:30am, half an hour after opening. We scooped up CP's $25 tickets from last week so we were in quick.

Millenium Force was first, since the line gets so long in the afternoon/evening. About a 40 minute wait for a text-book, smooth, speedy ride. There was, however, quite a rattle coming from the yellow train; nothing that took from the ride experience, but very noticeable. On a side note, MF could use some paint!

Next we grabbed two quick rides on Power Tower, once on each side, and a ride on Corkscrew, which was surprisingly smooth. I'd account that to my 6'1" height, and my head being being mostly above the harness.

We waited about 20 minutes for a spin on Wicked Twister, sat near the back. Nothing spectacular, and no headaches this year following WT. I noticed that there was now a 3-point challenge in Chaos' old home. I'm pretty sad that Chaos was sold. It was at least fairly popular, anyone know why it was removed? I'm guessing just age and parts becoming hard to come by. Oh well...

Continuing our pinball trajectory around the park, we headed to the back for my baby, Magnum. There wasn't a cloud in sight so we looked for Canada on the way up, but never found it :( The trim before the pretzel turnaround was on heavier than I've ever seen before and that definitely took away some ejector air on the returning bunny hills

I grabbed an elephant ear from Frontier Town and we headed to the car for lunch.

My most-anticipated ride of the trip was next, Mean Streak! I've heard it's waaaaaaaaaaaay smoother than previous years so I was pumped up to see if we'd be Dinn shuffled around or get a good ride on a woodie! Mean Streak totally delivered this year! The retracking has made a HUGE difference! The first drop trim was still on, and not exactly lightly, but it was much less grabby then my last ride in 2010. Airtime was nothing to write home about, but if CF keeps MS in this condition, I don't want to see it go anytime soon or get the Rocky Mntn. treatment.

A nice breezy ride on the swings followed to work our way up to Skyhawk. This has to be one of my all-time favorite flats. Airtime, height, and speed without the dizziness: All you ever need.

We hit Maggie once more for a good, but not great ride. Conveniently, we got stuck on the break run, about 5 feet from the catwalk, so we couldn't be evacuated. Two of our group members were on the train behind us, stuck on the lift. A ride-op came out and talked us, saying they had no idea what the issue was. I wish I'd gotten his name to put in a good word to CP for him. He was very nice and joked around with us and even let us use his own sunscreen he had brought for his shift. 20 minutes or so later, we cleared the catwalk and were able to evacuate, as were our friends on the lifthill.

We took the skyride to Raptor, to grab an afternoon ride, since the line was down to about 20 minutes. Raptor still delivers and doesn't show its age at all. Powerful, intense ride as always.

My girlfriend and I split from the group while they rode Top Thrill and Mantis (not big on my 'must ride' list, and she won't touch TTD) and puttzed around Frontier Town, riding the Mine Ride, and hitting the swings and Skyhawk a second time.

The Mine Ride is just as fun as ever. It's the only way to describe it. It's not big, fast, tall, or outrageous in any way. It's just plain fun! I don't care if it's a kiddie ride by today's standards. I put my hands up the whole time, and enjoyed this staple of my childhood. The swamp below/around the coaster is a LOT smaller with this year's drought. It was not a pretty sight.

The two of us hit Windseeker for my maiden voyage on the steroid swings since it was dusk now. Windseeker is an amazing sight to behold at night, let alone once you're circling 300 feet up. I think they were playing music from Superman or Harry Potter, either way, it was incredibly relaxing. I've heard Windseeker was a bit overrated, but I absolutely loved it. It's such a soothing ride with the breeze. The location on the beach doesn't hurt either. This was definitely my biggest surprise of the day.

We met up at Magnum with the group for two more night rides, walking through CP's new "Luminosity" show, which looked absolutely terrible. I think it's pointless for CP to put this on. I couldn't believe there was a massive crowd watching it. It was just awful looking! Why do they do this?!?!

Anywho, back to Maggie. I sat in the front row of the second car for the last two rides, and they were the two best rides I've ever had! I was mad we ended up in the front of the train, but the trim break before the pretzel was off this time around and ejector air was plentiful, as in bruised thighs plentiful! Two amazing rides to close out the day!

Considering the moderate Monday crowds, we had a great day. All of the park employees were friendly, and very patient today, even when we asked for cups of water, in batches of 6. I was really pleased with how the Magnum ride-ops handled the breakdown and evacuation. While fast-pass was obnoxious at times, it wasn't something that would ruin a day at the park. They seem to sell an appropriate amount of fast-passes as we never had to let more than 15ish people in front of us.

I came into the park with a different mentality than usual. CP isn't Michigan's Adventure by any means, and you really need to have a strategy to hit everything you need, but that usually makes for a stressful day. My strategy today (with 5 non-coaster freaks; coaster lovers, just not freaks) was to just go with the flow and avoid stressing out about hitting everything in one day. That's the way I'll be doing CP from here on out.

All in all, we had a great day!

Re: Cedar Point TR 8/6 by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/7/12 11:45:48 PM
Nice TR! Thanks! My understanding is that the problem with Chaos - not just CP's but all of them - is cracks appearing in the arms.

You have a good "point" about taking CP with a go with the flow attitude. I think after the first few visits, which are usually done at a frenzied pace, one can leisurely pick and chose what to ride and when... makes it much more enjoyable.

Re: Cedar Point TR 8/6 by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 8/8/12 12:05:42 AM
Ah! Well that's certainly a good reason to remove it. I'm bummed to see it go (assumingly scrapped then as well). I had some great memories counting how many full flips my dad and I could make in a single ride cycle.

Thanks for the info!

Re: Cedar Point TR 8/6 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/8/12 6:54:15 PM
Nice TR. In recent years I find myself riding Magnum multiple times every visit. It seems that you and I are the minority, because the wait for Magnum is usually less than 10 minutes. Every time I walk into the entrance of the que for Magnum, I look at all those empty switch backs. I remember waiting through every single one of them in 1989. After 3 1/2 hours I got to ride the best coaster on the planet. Magnum is still in my top 15 after all these years. Enough of me showing my age and reminiscing. It's good you had a good time, and that breakdown on Magnum didn't ruin it. My only question is, why didn't you ride Maverick?
Re: Cedar Point TR 8/6 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/8/12 8:55:57 PM
RobLec said:

Nice TR! Thanks! My understanding is that the problem with Chaos - not just CP's but all of them - is cracks appearing in the arms.

You have a good "point" about taking CP with a go with the flow attitude. I think after the first few visits, which are usually done at a frenzied pace, one can leisurely pick and chose what to ride and when... makes it much more enjoyable.

That's a shame about chaos. I was hoping to ride the one at the Adventuredome again in Vegas in the future. I hope it's something that can be fixed, that was my favorite flat ride until Air race last year.

I've been wanting to go to CP, but I am kinda cheap (won't pay for the 'express pass') and with so many coasters there... is it possible to get a ride on all the coasters in 1 day (ideally if it was a weekday)?

* This post was modified at 8/8/12 8:57:11 PM *

Re: Cedar Point TR 8/6 by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/8/12 9:09:39 PM
Nice trip report. I always wanted to go to Cedar Point to ride Millennium Force. I want to go before I hit the books again in 19 days, but I will just until they open their rumored wing next year. It sounds like you had a blast. Does Millennium Force have good airtime?, it looks like it does.
Re: Cedar Point TR 8/6 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/8/12 9:47:13 PM
Nice TR. It's good to hear the improvement on Mean Streak. That had to be quite an experience having to evacuate Maggie.
Re: Cedar Point TR 8/6 by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/8/12 11:01:57 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:
Does Millennium Force have good airtime?, it looks like it does.

Nice sustained floating air on three hills, several seconds each. Some folks may prefer shorter ejector air like Maggie, but Millie's is longer and very enjoyable.