Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > King's Dominion 2013 Teaser

King's Dominion 2013 Teaser

Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile

Posted:
8/6/12 at
10:12:59 PM

King's Dominion published their first teaser today for their New For 2013 attraction.

The image can be viewed on their homepage on the third bullet.

It feature a rocket ship in space and it says "Breaking Records AGAIN!!! The Countdown begins September 12th"

Any idea what kind of record breaking attraction KD could be building next year?

My gut thinks it's not a coaster as they will still be just three years removed from I305 and I'm not sure what coaster record they'd break as they don't have a lot of room left for something huge. Inversion record, IF it is a coaster could be done on something of a smaller scale like a Euro Fighter, something that would be unique to this region of the country.

How about a water coaster ala Wildebeest or Mammoth?

And where would a space type attraction fit into KD? Wedged between Flight of Fear and I305?

Joe
Great_Ump

King's Dominion Homepage

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Tomes at 8/7/12 12:03:17 AM
That's exciting! I wonder what they're planning!

The sky rocket is either a tribute to the landing on Mars, or it's suggesting the record breaking has to do with height! World's tallest drop tower? Well they already have Scream zone drop tower.

Worlds tallest windseeker? They already have one of those already as well..

I'm starting to think its going to be a roller coaster. Maybe if it's not record breaking in height then it will be space-themed. Either way it will be interesting.

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/7/12 12:39:39 AM
Could it be a launch tower? Something like Dr doom's fear fall? That would fit the theme of that picture as a person is launched up. Though I dunno if the park would ask S&S to build it given the failure of Hypersonic.
If it is something like SFMM's Superman ride, that would be really cool.
Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/7/12 6:00:25 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

That's what I was thinking, Phil. Not too big of a footprint. Three launch coasters in the same park? I can't think of another park offhand that has three, so maybe THAT's the record they're shooting for.

* This post was modified at 8/7/12 9:19:23 AM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/7/12 9:08:55 AM
beastmaster said:

Cyclone_Phil said:

That's what I was thinking, Phil. Not too big of a footprint. Three launch coasters in the same park? I can't tink of another park offhand that has three, so maybe THAT's the record they're shooting for.

Good point. Other than that, nothing else makes much sense imo.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/7/12 9:45:46 AM
This is great!!, it's probably something that we haven't seen yet, made by B&M, because they make everything cool.
Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by squirrels at 8/7/12 11:33:17 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Could it be a launch tower? Something like Dr doom's fear fall? That would fit the theme of that picture as a person is launched up. Though I dunno if the park would ask S&S to build it given the failure of Hypersonic.

S&S's failure with Hypersonic was during the Paramount era. Cedar Point has been successful with S&S's flats. (Power Tower)

I agree with some of the other posters that it may be a little soon for a new coaster in this economy, but then again maybe not...3 years is a decent stretch, and KD could use one more modern marquee coaster.

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/7/12 1:10:24 PM
i admit, Paramount did make Kings Dominion s**t. Hypersonic was a good ride, but it had a lot of downtime. the only parks I think Paramount ran better were California's Great America , and Kings Island.
Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/7/12 4:56:37 PM
beastmaster said:

Cyclone_Phil said:

That's what I was thinking, Phil. Not too big of a footprint. Three launch coasters in the same park? I can't think of another park offhand that has three, so maybe THAT's the record they're shooting for.

Dorney has three inverted coasters... just saying..

I think the addition has to be a flat ride of some sort because there isn't any physical evidence of a new coaster coming.

There aren't any supports or track laying out in the overflow lots, no markers on the ground nor is there any kind of ground clearing at KD. I was just there last week.

Maybe they'll build one of those monster frisbees like CP and KI have? Maybe a bigger height?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by d-lo775 d-lo775 Profile at 8/7/12 5:35:04 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

i admit, Paramount did make Kings Dominion s**t. Hypersonic was a good ride, but it had a lot of downtime. the only parks I think Paramount ran better were California's Great America , and Kings Island.

Sorry, to jump off topic, but could you please explain to me how you think Paramount ran Kings Island better than Taft/KECO?

Did they run it better by installing two, 20+ million dollar attractions that didn't even last ten years? I don't think so, especially when I walk past a hyper woodie that has sit idle for about 5 of its 12 years in existence and a big, ugly, empty, tin, building in Rivertown. I'm guessing KI probably has the most expensive Halloween event in the industry since that's the only use that both of those rides have now. (Warning: sarcasm ahead) Who wants a B&M inverted, a Giga and GCI or GG coaster when you can have $50+ million tied up in two defunct ride that will be used 5 weeks a year for Halloween Haunt.

Did they run it better by scraping, selling or relocating, family friendly flats and attractions to other parks, while not replacing them with other family friendly attractions? I don't think so, when I'm with my vertically challenge, 7 year old, nephew who gets tired of Planet Snoopy and has a very limited ride selection in the other sections of the park.

Did they run it better by having trash cans overflowing with garbage and in general having a dirtier park. I'm no clean freak by any means, but I don't ever remember the park being more littered and unkempt than during the Paramount era.

Did they run it better by taking out the affordable (at least by Kings Mills or Fields-Ertl Rd. seasonal hotel prices) camp ground and sold the land to Great Wolf Lodge? Not a big deal to me personally for two reasons. #1 If I'm not homeless, I'm not camping and #2 I now live close enough to the park that I can watch the nightly fireworks from my driveway. Most people don't have this luxury and from what I've heard some people actually like to camp. I haven't the slightest of a clue as to how much one of the cabins or sites did cost for a night, but I'm 100% sure that it was much lower than the $299 a night, weekday rate that GWL charges. Sure GWL has a indoor waterpark, but Mason already had 2 water parks long before GWL came to town. In my opinion, to make a room worth $299 plus tax on a Monday-Thursday night in Mason, the room had better include water park access, a hooker, a gallon of Makers Mark and a sack of weed....lol. Of course, I'm joking anyone who has seen the national news lately knows the high school kids in Mason are getting $400 an ounce for their weed and making $20,000 a month. Hey, I think I just figured out who can afford the $299 a night for a room.

Did they run it better by spending money to promote their movies, only to ignore the theming and up keep after 2-3 seasons? Yes, when Paramount opened a ride it looked great. Fast forward 3 years and lights were burnt out and not replaced, special effects (fire, water, etc.) on rides were non existent and props had been destroyed by guest and not fixed.

And finally, how did KI benefit from having the Corporate offices being moved from Cincinnati to Charlotte? I've never heard of a company moving away from a city and then making it their flagship branch.

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/7/12 8:19:45 PM
d-lo775 said:

Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Sorry, to jump off topic, but could you please explain to me how you think Paramount ran Kings Island better than Taft/KECO?

Did they run it better by installing two, 20+ million dollar attractions that didn't even last ten years? I don't think so, especially when I walk past a hyper woodie that has sit idle for about 5 of its 12 years in existence and a big, ugly, empty, tin, building in Rivertown. I'm guessing KI probably has the most expensive Halloween event in the industry since that's the only use that both of those rides have now. (Warning: sarcasm ahead) Who wants a B&M inverted, a Giga and GCI or GG coaster when you can have $50+ million tied up in two defunct ride that will be used 5 weeks a year for Halloween Haunt.

Did they run it better by scraping, selling or relocating, family friendly flats and attractions to other parks, while not replacing them with other family friendly attractions? I don't think so, when I'm with my vertically challenge, 7 year old, nephew who gets tired of Planet Snoopy and has a very limited ride selection in the other sections of the park.

Did they run it better by having trash cans overflowing with garbage and in general having a dirtier park. I'm no clean freak by any means, but I don't ever remember the park being more littered and unkempt than during the Paramount era.

Did they run it better by taking out the affordable (at least by Kings Mills or Fields-Ertl Rd. seasonal hotel prices) camp ground and sold the land to Great Wolf Lodge? Not a big deal to me personally for two reasons. #1 If I'm not homeless, I'm not camping and #2 I now live close enough to the park that I can watch the nightly fireworks from my driveway. Most people don't have this luxury and from what I've heard some people actually like to camp. I haven't the slightest of a clue as to how much one of the cabins or sites did cost for a night, but I'm 100% sure that it was much lower than the $299 a night, weekday rate that GWL charges. Sure GWL has a indoor waterpark, but Mason already had 2 water parks long before GWL came to town. In my opinion, to make a room worth $299 plus tax on a Monday-Thursday night in Mason, the room had better include water park access, a hooker, a gallon of Makers Mark and a sack of weed....lol. Of course, I'm joking anyone who has seen the national news lately knows the high school kids in Mason are getting $400 an ounce for their weed and making $20,000 a month. Hey, I think I just figured out who can afford the $299 a night for a room.

Did they run it better by spending money to promote their movies, only to ignore the theming and up keep after 2-3 seasons? Yes, when Paramount opened a ride it looked great. Fast forward 3 years and lights were burnt out and not replaced, special effects (fire, water, etc.) on rides were non existent and props had been destroyed by guest and not fixed.

And finally, how did KI benefit from having the Corporate offices being moved from Cincinnati to Charlotte? I've never heard of a company moving away from a city and then making it their flagship branch.

Nah man, theme parks are not ALL about coaster. Paramount DID run California's Great America better. Which one of the coasters at Great America were installed by Cedar Fair?, oh let me guess...NONE. Which of them did Cedar Fair remove, 1. When Cedar Fair purchased the park, there were two other major coasters that were already removed, and needed a replacement. Just because an attraction goes in an old coaster's spot does not mean that it replaced the old attraction. You never know why a park decided to put the attractions where they put them. California's Great America was removing rides more than they put in. All these other parks are getting these nice coasters, Kings Island got Diamondback, Kings Dominion got the Intimidator 305, Cedar Point is rumored to get a wing-rider, but what about Great America?, why aren't they getting anything?, can you answer me that?...no you can't. They took down Invertigo and sent it to a park that has way more coasters than Great America, and has a lot of Inverted coasters, wtf?. They were planned to get a wooden coaster in 2009, but that was CANCELED!, and I know they are planned to get it for 2013, but that isn't enough to replace the THREE former major coasters!!!!!, Cedar Fair turned that place into s**t!, everyone that has a brain knows that!. I bet you if it were still ran by Paramount, it would already have a lot more new things!. Cedar Fair is known for moving coasters a lot. It's said what they have turned what was a famous park into complete garbage. Kings Island had better themeing before,but I guess CF is running it better.

* This post was modified at 8/7/12 8:39:26 PM *

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/7/12 9:36:39 PM
But to be fair, CF can't really expand due to the land limitation at California. They put the park up for sale, but that deal fell thru. Can you really blame CF? If the surrounding areas don't want additional land for the park, then why invest in it? Easy thing to do would be to sell the land and let the new owner do whatever with it.

Basically CF could've opted not to buy that park, but perhaps it was a take it or leave it deal with Paramount in all parks or 'no deal'. I dunno what it was like at KD prior to the CF takeover, but I have to say I love the park as is now with the newest additions Dominator and I305 as both are just wonderful.

* This post was modified at 8/7/12 9:38:37 PM *

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/7/12 9:46:02 PM
beastmaster said:

Cyclone_Phil said:

Yeah, there isn't a height limit is there? Could they go for a 400' height? All they need is a nice strait stretch of land to clear and it would be set.
=

squirrels said:

Cyclone_Phil said:

S&S's failure with Hypersonic was during the Paramount era. Cedar Point has been successful with S&S's flats. (Power Tower)

I agree with some of the other posters that it may be a little soon for a new coaster in this economy, but then again maybe not...3 years is a decent stretch, and KD could use one more modern marquee coaster.

Ok, that's a good point. I do agree, KD could use a new coaster. Perhaps something like furious baco in Spain? An Intamin wingrider. If they have to sacrifice a coaster to fit it, I wouldn't shed a tear for anaconda or hurler. Don't get me wrong, Anaconda could work if it got new trains, but it's sitting in a pretty good spot and it's only going to be a matter of time till the park just decides to stop maintaining it.

* This post was modified at 8/7/12 9:50:02 PM *

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by d-lo775 d-lo775 Profile at 8/8/12 1:12:37 AM
@fatsoccerguy

So, where exactly in my post did I mention one thing about California Great America? I've never been there and probably never will, so I have no opinions about Marriott's, Paramount's or Cedar Fair's ownership or management of that park. I will say that I don't blame Cedar Fair for taking rides out of the park and not replacing them when there was a very real possibility of the city or state government enforcing emanate domain on the land. This all started around a year after CF purchased the park. So, if you have a problem with the ride removals you should probably be mad at the city and the 49ers...not Cedar Fair. Why would a company that was/is heavily in debt spend millions on installing a coaster or ride that may have to be relocated in a year or two?

My reply to you was about the statement that you made that KI got better under Paramount. First of all, I'm not sure how you know it got better under Paramount when you weren't even born until 4 years after it was sold by KECO. I must admit I'm very jealous of you if you can accurately remember everything from the Paramount era. Being that you were under the age of 10 when CF purchased the chain and likely lived a few hundred miles away. Hey, that's alright, I understand, there are plenty of things that I thought were bigger and/or better when I was under the age of 10. For instance I would have sworn that Space Mountain went at least 60 mph, the first time I rode it when I was in the 4th grade and the Walbash Cannonball had to be at least 150 ft. tall when I took my first ride at the age of 7. Of course, as I got older and re-experience those rides again I realize how delusional I was.

As Marcel Pagnol said "“The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be”.

Now to get somewhat back to the topic at hand. As far as feeling cheated, or disappointed that KD may get another new coaster before KI, I have no hard feelings. KD is in a very competitive market with 4 major parks within 3 hours. So the need for more major attractions there is much greater than at KI. KI really has no competition in the region, Cedar Point is now a companion park, not the competition. Indiana Beach, Beech Bend and Camden park are small and are very limited in both space and finances. Kentucky Kingdom will never last long, even if it is ever reopened, the state fair board in Kentucky won't allow any future owners to be very successful without running them out of town first with their greed. Holiday World is the only park within 3 hours that could even possibly be considered a threat to KI. And while they are improving their attendance numbers every year, they are still only a 1/3 of the way to KI's annual attendance.Plus whenever I mention going to HW to any of my non-enthusiast friends their first response is usually....Where's that at? This is not something I have to explain when I say I'm going to Cedar Point or Kings Island.

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/9/12 8:51:11 PM
d-lo775 said:

@fatsoccerguy

So, where exactly in my post did I mention one thing about California Great America? I've never been there and probably never will, so I have no opinions about Marriott's, Paramount's or Cedar Fair's ownership or management of that park. I will say that I don't blame Cedar Fair for taking rides out of the park and not replacing them when there was a very real possibility of the city or state government enforcing emanate domain on the land. This all started around a year after CF purchased the park. So, if you have a problem with the ride removals you should probably be mad at the city and the 49ers...not Cedar Fair. Why would a company that was/is heavily in debt spend millions on installing a coaster or ride that may have to be relocated in a year or two?.

My reply to you was about the statement that you made that KI got better under Paramount. First of all, I'm not sure how you know it got better under Paramount when you weren't even born until 4 years after it was sold by KECO. I must admit I'm very jealous of you if you can accurately remember everything from the Paramount era. Being that you were under the age of 10 when CF purchased the chain and likely lived a few hundred miles away. Hey, that's alright, I understand, there are plenty of things that I thought were bigger and/or better when I was under the age of 10. For instance I would have sworn that Space Mountain went at least 60 mph, the first time I rode it when I was in the 4th grade and the Walbash Cannonball had to be at least 150 ft. tall when I took my first ride at the age of 7. Of course, as I got older and re-experience those rides again I realize how delusional I was.

As Marcel Pagnol said "“The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be”.

Now to get somewhat back to the topic at hand. As far as feeling cheated, or disappointed that KD may get another new coaster before KI, I have no hard feelings. KD is in a very competitive market with 4 major parks within 3 hours. So the need for more major attractions there is much greater than at KI. KI really has no competition in the region, Cedar Point is now a companion park, not the competition. Indiana Beach, Beech Bend and Camden park are small and are very limited in both space and finances. Kentucky Kingdom will never last long, even if it is ever reopened, the state fair board in Kentucky won't allow any future owners to be very successful without running them out of town first with their greed. Holiday World is the only park within 3 hours that could even possibly be considered a threat to KI. And while they are improving their attendance numbers every year, they are still only a 1/3 of the way to KI's annual attendance.Plus whenever I mention going to HW to any of my non-enthusiast friends their first response is usually....Where's that at? This is not something I have to explain when I say I'm

going to Cedar Point or Kings Island.

Sorry for getting off-topic d-lo775
The state did not say, "Take out Invertigo, and don't put anything there". That is Cedar Fair's private land. They can put SOMETHING to replace it. I know the state of California's Labor Department can decided if rides can come or go. I'm pretty sure Cedar Fair is able to replace those coasters. Six Flags Magic Mountain has lots of new ones. Even SFDK which is also in San Fransisco. So it has nothing to do with California. In fact SFMM is in LA, which is a more scarce area than the rural area around San Fransisco. The 49'ers impact was quite a problem, but they can't touch CGA if Cedar Fair does not want them to. I admit the tight ship with two people troubling them with the space was hard, but they could have done something for sure.

BTW I have been to KI several times when I was ten and Under, and at least saw the coasters. I was tall enough to ride every coaster since I was barely 9/ mid 8 too. which was in 2005. Although I was too scared, and didn't ride until 2006. I still saw the park, and knew about it's coasters. How do you think we all know about the things that happen before we were born. How do you know about the holocaust?, how did you know about WWI?,that was before you were born, but you know about it. You read and learned about it at school, just like I studied these parks on my own time. I love Cedar Fair parks, kings Dominion is good, but I think that CGA could use some modifying. I do take back what I said about KI though.

Back to topic. Where would KD's new coaster be placed?

* This post was modified at 8/9/12 9:57:08 PM *

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 8/9/12 9:44:00 PM
I don't think this will be a coaster or big thrill ride. Some are saying, and I somewhat agree, this could be combining Kidzville with Planet Snoopy to create one large Planet Snoopy.

Breaking records? It could be the largest Planet Snoopy in the chain, the largest kid's area on the East Coast, the largest area devoted to the Peanuts characters. Otherwise has anyone who has been to the park lately seen any markings?

As for the next coaster, I can see KD get a wing coaster in 2014.

G-Dog

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/10/12 1:07:04 AM
Geauga_Dog said:

As for the next coaster, I can see KD get a wing coaster in 2014.

Former URC'er Junebugg stated on many different occassions that BGW has/had an exclusivity clause with B&M.

Whether or not that was ever true, or, if it's still intact, I have no idea.

But, we haven't seen any new B&M's at KD or SFA. Both B&Ms have been relocated.

Coincidence?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/10/12 1:47:44 AM
Well I did mention they could build a wingrider if it's from Intamin. Not sure if it would have to be launching coaster (even though KD has a handful of them). As for placement, I would say knock down hurler and build it there. The only other idea would be to scrap anaconda and put it there.

* This post was modified at 8/10/12 1:49:39 AM *

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Coaster316 at 8/10/12 8:23:35 AM
beastmaster said:

It would be four if they were to do so. KD already has 3 launched coasters. Volcano, Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster.

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/10/12 8:52:12 AM
Coaster316 said:

beastmaster said:

It would be four if they were to do so. KD already has 3 launched coasters. Volcano, Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster.

Yeah, I dunno why I always forget about Backlot Nut Buster.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/10/12 8:56:00 AM
Maybe they are right. Ha, what if it was true, then we would have got excited over nothing. Then again it could be a new coaster. they don't usually say "Breaking records again" , why would they break a record over something that is only Cedar Fair wise?
Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/10/12 3:16:05 PM
beastmaster said:

Yeah, I dunno why I always forget about Backlot Nut Buster.

Mike

IT BURNS!!!!!

Trick anyone? The movie Trick?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 8/10/12 7:52:46 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Nah man, theme parks are not ALL about coaster. Paramount DID run California's Great America better.

Having grown up attending Great America from the year it opened as Mariott's Great America, I can say in full and complete honesty that Paramount absolutely did NOT run that park better than Mariott's did. They are the ones who threw out the theming (Star Trek's Ferengi running around Yukon Territory? Puh-lease) and a great many other things declined during their care. You should have seen the mess that became of the Imax theater.

While they did add some, there was much they ignored, degraded, or removed. When Cedar Fair finally got The park, it was a sad pitiful shadow of what it was when it opened.

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by boughtontroy at 10/10/12 5:14:55 PM
They already announced they called bigger better planet snoopy
Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 10/15/12 3:14:28 PM
boughtontroy said:

They already announced they called bigger better planet snoopy

This thread was started five weeks prior to the park's announcement.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 10/15/12 6:13:15 PM
Even though Kings Dominion's 2013 announcement was very misleading, I am still very happy for them. "Kidzville" was not that great, and since they recently got Intimidator 305 back in 10'. I am very sorry that the fans on facebook wrote negative comments towards the announcement post.

The only thing that I did not like is how
they made the announcement sound like a thrill ride. They made the new attraction sound like it was a new one-of-a kind thrill ride. As someone mentioned on the facebook page, they really did target the wrong type of people. You will not have 5 year old's on facebook.

* This post was modified at 10/15/12 6:14:46 PM *

Re: King's Dominion 2013 Teaser by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/16/12 1:20:36 AM
And that's the point: I am happy for the improvements for the kids section of the park, but I think the park could've done something that didn't give people the false impression it was going to be some super thrill ride. At least with CP's Gatekeeper, that is deserving of that teaser line of 'breaking records'. I can only hope the park learns from this 'mistake' next time if it doesn't end up being a new major thrill ride.