Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Riders Stuck On New Superman at SFDK

Riders Stuck On New Superman at SFDK

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
7/30/12 at
9:38:59 AM

I know this is a common occurence, and not really news. But I thought it worthwhile since the ride is new and there's been a lot written about it recently.

http://news.yahoo.com/calif-roller-coaster-strands-dozen-2-hours-082236481.html

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Riders Stuck On New Superman at SFDK by alpengeistno3 at 7/30/12 2:47:40 PM
beastmaster said:

I know this is a common occurence, and not really news. But I thought it worthwhile since the ride is new and there's been a lot written about it recently.

I'm not sure how "common" this one is since this ride has no lift and no blocking zone. Sounds like a stall that wasn't supposed to happen (like TTD getting stuck on the top of the top hat.)

Paul

Re: Riders Stuck On New Superman at SFDK by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/30/12 3:00:34 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

beastmaster said:

I'm not sure how "common" this one is since this ride has no lift and no blocking zone. Sounds like a stall that wasn't supposed to happen (like TTD getting stuck on the top of the top hat.)

Paul

In using the word "common," I was referring to people getting stuck on coasters in general. But yeah, the circumstances of this one are unusual, I'll give you that.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Riders Stuck On New Superman at SFDK by alpengeistno3 at 7/30/12 3:36:14 PM
Understood. Interesting, the article just casually states "the mechanic restarted the ride..." Does Supes at SFDK have an elevator to the top of the roll? How did the mechanic get the ride restarted from a stall 150 ft above the ground? At least we can assume they didn't get stuck upside down since they were able to get water.

It's funny how the media loves to sensationalize casual lift hill shutdowns, but when something "unusual" like this one happens, they can't really be bothered with the details.

Paul

Re: Riders Stuck On New Superman at SFDK by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/7/12 9:51:34 AM
Doesn't stuff like that happen to every coaster?, this is why many rides are removed from theme parks because the news surrounds it, and creates a paparazzi. Every coaster in the world has had a mechanical failure before!!
Re: Riders Stuck On New Superman at SFDK by alpengeistno3 at 8/7/12 2:26:31 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

Doesn't stuff like that happen to every coaster?, this is why many rides are removed from theme parks because the news surrounds it, and creates a paparazzi. Every coaster in the world has had a mechanical failure before!!

It does, but it used to be hard for cameras to capture the action for news affiliates. Nitro valleying at Gradv on opening day, Chiller valleying in the zero-g roll, Joker's Jinx valleying before the final cork all went without sensationalized news coverage. But, with every guest being armed with a pretty good cell phone camera and the ease of the internet allowing for the video to be easily distributed to the masses, parks really can't hide behind the former veil of secrecy they used to have.

I doubt SFDK's Superman is in danger of being removed because of the park "getting caught with their pants down", but we do get more of these reports now thanks to cell phones and the healthy GP fear of coasters in general.

Paul

Re: Riders Stuck On New Superman at SFDK by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/7/12 2:58:25 PM
I don't think this ride is going to be removed obviously, Mainly because they just got it. What I'm trying to say is, people create such a big paparazzi over the smallest things in the world. When you turn on the T.V., and tune to the news, you expect to find a story on the war, or a rampage or something, but instead, "Roller coaster at Great America gets stuck for hours." I'll admit Invertigo's incident was worthy enough to make LOCAL news because it got stuck for FIVE hours, not a half an hour. I saw Invertigo's on the news, and I live in Maryland!, that pretty much gave Invertigo a Great America negative attention. During the time Invertigo was SBNO for a year for the investigation,all the theme park guests assumed it was because the coaster got stuck on a daily basis, which gave it more negative attention. That caused Cedar Fair to ship it over to another theme park. The same thing happened at my home-park Six Flags America with the old Two-Face: The Flip Side coaster. The negative attention surrounding small incidents. Although I admit the Two-Face incident was not a mild incident, and scary for the riders on board. It sprayed hydraulic fluid on riders, which would have made me upset too. I don't think it should have had so much negative attention around it. It would have been all fine....

* This post was modified at 8/7/12 3:00:04 PM *

Re: Riders Stuck On New Superman at SFDK by alpengeistno3 at 8/7/12 4:59:07 PM
Both Two Face and Great America's Invertigos were notorious in their problems. (Ironically, there hasn't been a word of the same problems with Kings Island's). Like the Giant Boomerangs, they were troublesome rides for both parks, hence why they were removed. Had little to do with the media attention.

Paul

Re: Riders Stuck On New Superman at SFDK by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 8/7/12 9:45:15 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Both Two Face and Great America's Invertigos were notorious in their problems. (Ironically, there hasn't been a word of the same problems with Kings Island's). Like the Giant Boomerangs, they were troublesome rides for both parks, hence why they were removed. Had little to do with the media attention.

Paul

I wouldn't say Two Face was removed BECAUSE of the media attention it received, BUT it certainly doesn't help the park when a News helicopter catches the ride spraying stranded riders in the face with hydraulic fluid either.

Two Face received a TON of bad press in the DC/Baltimore markets for a number of mishaps in a short period time.

While I will agree that the ride was removed from the park because it was a maintenance nightmare, the fact that the ride was frequently caught on tape with so many malfunctions certainly doesn't lure people to the park who would want to ride such an attraction.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Riders Stuck On New Superman at SFDK by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/8/12 8:25:30 PM
Two-Face always got caught with it's "pants un-zipped" it seems.